Wall Street Journal: Disney Should Buy EA

Turnabout, as they say, is fair play.

While Electronic Arts spent the better part of 2008 in a futile bid to acquire Grand Theft Auto publisher Take-Two Interactive, the Wall Street Journal suggests that EA itself has the makings of a tasty takeover morsel.

Word comes via Barron’s that the Wall Street Journal (sub. req.) proposed on Saturday that Disney acquire EA:

In a bold call in Saturday’s Heard On The Street column, the Wall Street Journal proposed that Disney (DIS) ought to buy Electronic Arts (ERTS). The piece note that the timing is right, after a significant earnings miss last week knocked down the video game publisher’s stock 18% on Friday. The piece concludes that “Disney would be gutsy to step up during the current economic uncertainty. But it might be better than waiting for better times and paying top dollar.”

…EA does have a lucrative sports franchise that includes the Madden football games; Disney owns ESPN. It’s an interesting theory. But I would note that it appears simply to be a theory, not something that the Journal believes is happening right now.

Nocturne says:

Dead Space the Animated Series Saturdays at 8am

Each Week Isaac foils the evil Necromorphs with the assistance of a group of teens and their talking robotic dog.

Spartan says:

Let me fix that for you…

…From a consumer’s perspective, it would be a nightmare of monumentally EPIC proportions!

"The most difficult pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much and power over little" – Herodotus

tallimar says:

huh?  EA has good games?  between the rehash grinder (madden anyone?), the DRM issues (go spore!), and the current pricing of games (can anyone even remember when new games were under $45?)…  ive yet to find an EA title that would coerce me to pay in to riccitiello’s overinflated salary.

Jonathan says:

One word: No.

I hate Disney for all the retarded shit they’ve been making for the past several years, espeically those moronic bands they’ve been pushing out.

Father Time says:

I think Micheal Eisner is content with his evil empire.

"What for you bury me in the cold cold ground?" – Tasmanian devil

King of Fiji says:

Disney died to me the day Mr Toad’s Wild Ride in the Magic Kingdom was replaced with Winnie the Pooh.  A loveable character he be but I’m sorry that ride was reaking of awsomeness.

Wolvenmoon says:

Maybe if they did buy them out we could do the entire anti monopoly procedings against them and shatter them once and for all.

lol@disney’s daycare center raid.

Thomas McKenna says:

People are talking about how evil the company would be….hasn’t anyone thought how it’d hurt game development?  Imagine all those straight to dvd sequel releases Disney does.  Now image that with every game they make.  They make a game that gets luke warm reviews?  Expect a sequel made with 1/5th the budget and no quality control!  Now think how this would effect the few good games EA makes.

Harry Miste says:

EA is already evil enough, just by being swallowed in by Disney would create something worse. Something… horrible. It would be an aberration to society.

XBOX LIVE GamerTag: Harry Miste | Steam ID: Harry Miste | PSN ID: HMiste | EYE. HAVE. YOU.

Spartan says:

Hmmmm… likely other industry suitors would be ActiBliz and Microsoft. On the outside Amazon or Apple would be interesting to be sure. Moreover I would love for Google to toss its hat in.

The ultimate irony would of course be Sony. Then it could guarantee SuckRom for the world.

MaJeStIc_12_x says:

I’m sorry, but little Johnny got a little to close to that necromorph over there. You might want to keep him restrained and quarantined, but other than that, he’s fine.

Doomsong says:

Disney + EA….

Hmmmmm….. Dead Space Mountain anyone?

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" – Benjamin Franklin

Spartan says:

Of course.  But I’m optimistic that as a unified entity they would find the necessary financial resources to pull it off. This would be especially so if Google would become a white knight and have a talk with Frogboy.

DeepThorn says:

I wouldnt count a 5 point drop as hurting just as bad as EA, haha.  EA is 50% of its earlier value, while T2 is 70% of its earlier true value ignoring the inflation EA caused.

Parallax Abstraction says:

Such a thing would be very interesting but you could literally quintuple the size of ALL those companies and they still wouldn’t even come close to having the capital to buy EA.

Spartan says:

I would like to see StarDock Entertainment step up and organize a takeover coalition with the following companies:

Paradox Interactive

Gas Powered Games

Ironclad Games

Kerberos Productions

I think the end result would be a truly awesome game development company that really would be focused on delivering the best product possible to gamers and providing outstanding product support.

Spartan says:

Man-up and boycott them all.

Anto103 says:

But if Disney did by everything won’t they just coat everything with sugar and a lot of sugar at that?

_ _ Pops… If you dance with the devil, the devil don’t change. The devil changes you.

Spartan says:

No doubt.

Vake Xeacons says:

Maybe not Disney then. But EA getting bought out would be sweet just desserts indeed! Hey, why doesn’t Take-two buy them out?

Spartan says:

I’m of the opinion that EA stock will burn another 10% or so by the end of the week and if we can get enough momentum going to generate main stream media publicity with the DRM protests on its new releases I think it will be a near certainty. That would bring it within range another game company such as ActiBliz (I hate that name) or better yet a coalition as I suggested to move in. I like to think of it as GoD done right – if the companies I suggested are key players.

If the price drops under $20 it should be possible. I think the ultra sweet spot would be $15 per share. I know it is a big dream but given the current market fear factor and public outcry against EA it is possible methinks. However I think if it hits $20 Riccitiello will go on a buy back spree or maybe get canned.

E. Zachary Knight says:

The only problem with another game company trying to buy EA, is that no other company has enough capital to buy them. That is why this article is looking at outside media conglomerates.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
    MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/okceca
    Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1325674091

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

Kris says:

Oh I hope not.  EA is evil enough without Disney involved with them as well.

But really…monopolies bite.

If the only reason he  can give is that Disney owns ESPN and EA makes football games…well that doesn’t sound like a good enough reason to bother.