PETA Tosses Sega a Bone After Samba de Amigo Ad is Yanked

People for the Ethical Treament of Animals (PETA) has said "good boy!" to Sega after the publisher pulled a Samba de Amigo ad which featured a live chimp.

Why is that a big deal? PETA explains:

After learning that SEGA used a real chimpanzee in an online video promoting Samba De Amigo… we contacted the company.

We explained how involuntary chimpanzee "actors" are taken away from their mothers when they are just a year or so old and forced to perform confusing and repetitious tricks. We also explained some of the horrible methods that chimpanzee "trainers" use, such as electric shocks with shock collars and prods, isolation, beatings with sawed-off pool cues and slapjacks, and food deprivation. Then, at the ripe old age of just 8, the chimpanzees reach puberty and their showbiz careers are over—and they end up being dumped at dismal roadside zoos or sold to laboratories for experimentation.

Faster than you can mangle a Metallica song on Guitar Hero, SEGA pulled the video from its site and promised to keep all great apes out of its ads!

Kajex says:

I learned long ago not to take PETA seriously when it comes to most of their information. On one hand, you have them deflecting responses by pointing out the very few good things that they have done as a means of ensuring reliability. On the other hand, you have them blatantly lying, or inflating a fact far out of proportion.

I’ll give them credit for raising the bar when it comes to making a big deal out of meaningless crap with fabricated crap. There are other things they should be worrying about, and yet the ASPCA still does more than they do.

Paulrus says:

"Dear Sega,

Thanks for pulling those ads. Now that we have you in our grip, please do the following.

Hedgehogs are constantly running away from poachers who are after their golden rings. We feel that Sonic the Hedgehog should be more about bringing attention to this EPIDEMIC rather than trying to be a workable series.

Please do this. Would you kindly?

I’m an attention whore. So visit my DevaintArt and feed my ego. Feed the whore.

Shadow D. Darkman says:

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

Doomsong says:

Every time I see PETA in the news… it makes me want to punch Ingrid Newkirk just a little harder.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" – Benjamin Franklin

Iris says:

Gah…. yes – PETA claims that my cats are basically the equivalent to slaves.   Funny thing is, I’m pretty sure that I’m more of a slave to my cats….. must obey the feline overlords :3

King of Fiji says:

Yeah they have a monthly feature on their PETA 2 website called vote for your favorite stupid comment.

Be more creative or stop giving those burger hugging hippies more fodder.

Arell says:

It’s actually pretty easy to train chimps to perform tasks through simple positive reenforcement, rather than torturing them.  Some researchers actually train the chimps to cooperate with the research being conducted on them.  You can get them to reliably provide a urine sample, produce thier leg for shots, and get them to willingly approach other medical tools.  Getting them to dance around or manipulate objects is child’s play to them.

Furthermore, since chimps are an intelligent animal that learns many of its behaviors from its social group, keeping them in contact with their mothers (who are also trained) is benificial to the trainer.  The other chimps reenforce the desired response to do what the human trainer wants.

Sega would do well to actually do some background checking before they capitulate to the first angry activists to bang on their door.

Mr. Stodern says:

It’s upsetting to see companies cave in to groups like PETA. Truly upsetting. Rockstar has flourished from not being afraid to piss people off. We need more companies like that.

PsychoPuppy says:

PETA are just a bunch of species traitors.. wah wah wah, humans are scum and shouldn’t eat or use animals in any way..  we shouldn’t even care for them.

PETA members honestly believe that we should either exterminate or just set free every animal in "captivity" anywhere in the world, and let nature take care of what happens. We should also all live of plants and become herbivores. Their chosen tactics involve not only psychoilogical terrorism in the form of graphic and desturbing images, but also actual criminal acts such as vandaliism, bombings and even murder since they consider humans scum.

Every last PETA member or sympathiser should be put in a small room with a pack of wild dogs.

ConnorM5 says:

You know, as a member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals), I’m going to get some KFC tonight just to piss off the other, lesser group that goes by the same name ("People for the Ethical blah blah blah blah the medicine I take was developed by experiments on lab rats…").

It’s the cruelty that makes it taste so damn good.

King of Fiji says:

PETA along with the PTC and the CCFC are watchdog organizations that have websies I look up reguarlly.

And to be honest atleast they weren’t comparing the holocaust to chickens.

So I’m neutral on this one.  I mean really.  PETA has done more stupid things in the term of protests that I’m ok with it.

Neeneko says:

I can recall a few years back some senior PETA people championing the idea of exterminating cats because they were so corrupted by domestication that the entire ‘slave species’ should simply be elimited,.. for thier own good at least.

Hard to think what is more abusive then genocide…..

Thomas McKenna says:

This one speaks the truth.  PETA’s final goal is to give all animals the same rights as humans.  This means that a pet or any animal used in places like a zoo for entertainment would classify as slavery, and impoundment and zoos (they really don’t like zoos) would classify as forced imprisonment.  They’d also want the end of animal testing, despite the numerous advances in medicine which have been gained from said testing.

Overall, they fail to realize that if we gave them rights and let them free, we’d have to lock them back up for abuse and murder towards eachother or towards humans.  This is why their main arguments fail.  You can’t treat an animal on the same level as a human, simply because an animal is not a human.

Flamespeak says:

"PETA supporting something is like the KKK supporting something.

PETA has their own animal shelter with the highest kill percentage in the nation. (look it up iffen ya doubt me)

PETA supported one of their members action of adopting pit bulls from local shelters and then killing the dogs.

Let me spell it out for those that don’t know why they act this way. According to PETA any domesticated animal should be destroyed or rendered sterile because it is a flawed representation of the animal. Any purebred dog should be destroyed for the same reason because humans interferred with them to make them the particular breed they are through selective breeding. All work animals are slaves and have been exposed to humans for too long, they should be given the chance to be free, if they choose not to be free then they should be destroyed as they are flawed representations of the species.

Do you like your dog or cat? PETA wants you to kill that vile creature.

If you don’t want animal abuse, then support the ASPCA that believes people should take care of animals and never abuse them.  There are many other agencies that do what PETA claims, but PETA is just fuggin’ warped."

Father Time says:

One of their best episodes, next to the war on drugs, in my opinion.

"What for you bury me in the cold cold ground?" – Tasmanian devil

MaskedPixelante says:

That was a GREAT episode of Penn and Teller. Go check it out, it’s on Youtube.

I’ll wait until you go check it out.

—You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

Krono says:

The long answer is that PETA objects to humans and animals interacting in any capacity other than humans being food for animals. The short answer is that PETA is filled with liars.

mogbert says:

Wait, so they object to any use of trained chimpanzees? Is EVERY chimpanzee trained this way? I went to Universal Studios and during one of their live shows there was a great chimpanzee act. So are they saying there are no trained chimpanzees that have been trained well, not mistreated, not hurt, and such? Because I think they need to work on a case by case basis, not just attack anything that has animals in it.

I know that dogs aren’t as smart as chimps, but you can train a dog using electro shock colars, or you can train a dog by showing them what to do. I trained my dog to put her paw up by her ear when she wanted to be scratched rather then barking or jumping on people. It was a pretty easy trick so it only took one hour to teach, using positive reenforcement, and by performing it myself, then rewarding myself, then doing it for her and rewarding her. She learned it quickly and it stayed with her for her entire life.

In this circumstance, I think that claiming that every chimpanzee is trained viciuosly is wrong, I just don’t believe them. It’s making a gross over simplification and generalization, like claimig every Irishman is a drunk, or every lawyer is a slimeball. Sure, there are some that match that, but you can’t deny a drivers licence to an Irishman because you think he will get DUI’s, and I don’t think you can complain about using a chimp in an add because you think that they all have been mistreated.

Spartan says:

Damn, what is the deal with publishers recently? They cave in like paper dolls to totally lame demands from religious groups and fringe organizations and yet they as a group almost completely refuse to give in – even a little to demands made by the gamer community (you know the stupid thieving people who put real money in their pockets) with regards to DRM, content and product support. It is like a Greek tragedy or something. I simply don’t understand. I guess I must truly be stupid.

"The most difficult pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much and power over little" – Herodotus

Spartan says:

WTF? Talk about tossing out the baby with the bath water. Also doesn’t PETA president get medicine made from animal "prisoners" and "lab rats" ?

PETA redefining euthanasia one mangy flea bitten mongrel at a time. Over one million served and counting!

Parallax Abstraction says:

PETA isn’t an organization worth listening to.  While I generally don’t believe in exploiting animals for amusement purposes, this organization has frequently proven itself to be hypocritical, completely unethical in their methods of protest and more about publicity and money than their cause.  Why anyone keeps listening to them is beyond me.

Shadow D. Darkman says:

Placing bets on JT’s return here.

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon