British MP Vaz Erupts Over Suicide Bombing Game

A British video game industry official recently credited Labour MP Keith Vaz’s public criticism of Manhunt with helping to drive sales of Rockstar’s bloody game.

Vaz is seemingly at it again.

The Daily Mail reports that Vaz has expressed outrage over Kaboom: The Suicide Bombing Game. As GamePolitics reported recently, the amateur game is freely available online, although not from commercial video game industry sources.

In fact, we hadn’t heard of the game until recent coverage by British tabloids. However, comments made by Vaz are helping to spread the word:

Keith Vaz, chairman of the Commons home affairs select committee, said the game contained an ‘unnecessary’ level of violence and offended relatives of those killed by suicide bombers…

He also said he was ‘deeply concerned’ that vulnerable users under the age of 18 are able to play the game…

The Israeli Embassy in London is also understood to have complained. Scores of Israeli citizens have been killed by suicide bombers in recent years.

Vaz has called for a ban on the game. However, as a non-commercial product it is not subject to the U.K.’s game rating process. In any case, because it is hosted on at least one U.S. site, it would seemingly be beyond the reach of British law.

GP: While the previously-obscure game is certainly in bad taste, we thought Conservative MP John Whittingdale took a more sensible approach:

I find this game tasteless but I don’t think it will necessarily start turning people into suicide bombers. But those whose lives have been affected by suicide bombings I imagine would find it upsetting.

UPDATE: Dvorak Uncensored notes that a website operated by racist fringe group the Aryan Nation now links to the game.

UPDATE 2: The game has come in for a mention in the Arab press.

Ghost Coins says:

I am using that logic at the next moment of opportunity.

As for Vaz…the bard put it best:

"full of sound and fury; signifying nothing."

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; credible we must be truthful. Edward R. Murrow

Matthew says:

We can punish an industry for the actions of an independent third party now? Sweet. This is a game. The games industry is an organised body of people who make games. Thus, the games industry is responsible for content like this.

Real suicide bombers are human. Politicians are an organised group of humans. Therefore, politicians are responsible for the actions of suicide bombers.

DarkSaber says:

1 problem: You’ve listed neo-nazis as The Worst, but The Mail still has very deep nazi sympathys.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

HungryHungryHomer says:

The guy who said that isn’t the same as the guy who wants the ban. He was basically saying, "Yeah, it’s messed up, and it’s gonna piss some people off but, *shrug* whaddya gonna do?"

HungryHungryHomer says:

Thanks for perpetuating this. Next flash games to raise his ire, Competitive Baby Eating,…

I think adult swim did this with Orphan Feast.

Soldat_Louis says:

OK, so here is the comment I left on the Daily Mail website:

"Kaboom : Suicide Bomber" is an illustration of one of the major aspects of the Internet and mass communication : everyone can create its own content very quickly, be it a website, a music video, a Youtube video, a cartoon or a computer game. It can be for the best, or for the worst.

The best : musicians, filmmakers, game makers, writers… can create masterpieces very quickly and share their creations with a large number of people.

The worst : any vermin can produce a crap in a small amount of time and share that crap with a lot of people. Examples : neo-nazi websites, negationnist litterature, happy slapping videos… and "Kaboom : Suicide Bomber".

There are problems, though : why did you pick this pointless mini-game specifically ? And why now ? It is 6 years old, and it already sparked (justified) controversy. So what’s your point ? Why are you giving a large amount of free advertising to this sick mini-game and the loser who made it ? None of them deserve such a honor

Note that I’m not exactly equating "Kaboom Suicide Bomber" to neo-nazi websites. I just enumerated examples of amateurish crap that can be created in a couple of hours, sometimes just for the fun of it.

By the way, I don’t know if it will be published or read, but it was just for doing everything in my power to raise the debate just a bit higher.

strathmeyer says:

"But those whose lives have been affected by suicide bombings I imagine would find it upsetting."

You imagine? Perhaps he should find it out before passing a law that affects the lives of millions of people?

Overcast says:

It never fails to amaze me how something like a game or a movie gets critisized because it somehow mimics real life.

I don’t recall ’24’ getting bashed because of the topics in the show.

I guess that’s because MOST people are mind-dead TV glued sheep.

Spartan says:

This kind of shit just fucks me up. We have scores of people die from war every year but governments keep waging warfare – WTF? So why get upset over pixel wars.

They must be jealous over the gaming industry since it can delete trillions upon trillions of pixle warriers every day. It is a serious case of penis envy if I ever saw one.

"The most difficult pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much and power over little" – Herodotus

Artificial Selection says:

Good going Keith! Thumbs up, you brought attention to a stupid internetgame that nearly no one played and now it’s got just about as many hits as those horrible Palin games.

BTW it’s impossible to bann something on the internet unless you are in china, and there are still workarounds.

mogbert says:

The sad part is this guy was doing it just for the reaction he would get. According to another site he just was a publicity grabbing fool who asked people to e-mail him to tell him what places talk about his game.

No cookie for Keith for trying to ban a free online game. You fail at legislation. Go back 3 spaces or back to law school (parliment school?) whichever is further.

You should realize by now that any 10 year old can throw together a game and that idiots like to see their name up. Thanks for perpetuating this. Next flash games to raise his ire, Competitive Baby Eating, Shoot the Penguins with Oil, and Keith Spaz: P.I. Someone should have them done in the next ten minutes.

Shoehorn Oplenty says:

This is like that guy who called the internet "a series of tubes". He just doesn’t understand the game. He probably thinks that you can go down to the local Gamestop or wherever and pick up a copy.

As long as this kind of ignorance is present in those who are representing and running the country, this kind of idiocy will continue. Hopefully these luddites will retire, or pass away peacefully and leave these positions open to younger people who actually understand these issues and will know to ignore a nasty little piece of trash like this flash game.

DeepThorn says:

Wow, I never would have known of the game if it wasn’t for him.

Score: 4 dead – 1 injured

Really bad taste, but as long as it isn’t being sold in stores…  I don’t see any way or right to cencer it.  If it was sold in stores, and it was obviously Arabs VS French, then I would understand.  I think that it should be a multiplayer game.  One team trying to suicide bomb, another trying to snipe off the suicide bombers.

Nido Web Flash Tutorials

Kincyr says:

I always thought the facepalm meme was ironically facepalm-worthy, but you just facepalm’d into a win right there

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

Spartan says:

I think I can….

Shadow D. Darkman says:

I can top that.

EDIT: Okay, no I can’t.

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

Nekowolf says:

Oh that’s awful 😛 Good one, that made me laugh a bit. Now I’m reminded of Jeff Dunham and Achmed the Dead Terrorist.

"Oh, I am not a very good suicide bomber…"

SeanB says:

of course. he’s going to advertise the shit out of the game, then the next time anything even remotely similar to it happens, he gets to say "I TOLD YOU SO!"

KayleL says:

This is how you express it

Anyway, I don’t think that Vaz knows that this is even an online game, nor seen a screenshot. He is proving to the public that he is willing to throw bans as if it’s nothing. Do you want this guy in your government that is killing rights for no good intention other then for himself. I am just wondering how he is going to ban the game.

Also, Manhunt was a fairly bad game, and Vaz made it sell as GP pointed out. I never heard of a 9/11 game from a French website till the news reported it. I never heard of a genocide game till the news reported it. I bet most of the school shootings never would of happened if the news did’t report them like crazy.

Soldat_Louis says:

There is something I don’t understand about this pseudo-controversy : why now ? After all, isn’t the game 6 years old ? (according to Wikipedia page, Newsgrounds site hosted this mini-game in mid-2002, and I saw a report on French-TV 3-4 years ago)

I should also ask : why this game specifically, and why in these terms ? It’s like calling Daniel Pearl’s execution video a Hollywood mainstream movie.

Erik says:

Huh?  He wants a freely avaliable internet flash game to be banned?  Just how does he think he can accomplish that?  I think this luddite has no idea how the internet works.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

nighstalker160 says:

Come on Vaz, you can’t just define someone as "vulnerable" because they are under 18.  18 is not a magic number where everyone suddenly becomes a mature adult (believe me, I’ve worked with College Freshmen).

Nocturne says:

Oh Keith Vaz, you so crazy. Another politician who used to be good until their career nosedived. Seems like latching onto games is a favourite way to try and stay relevant, this’ll be another outrage in the tabloids until the next persons voted off X-Factor

(on a side note I wish the Mail Online wasn’t the source for this, may as well link to a crayon drawing of an angry Keith Vaz for all the legitimacy they have)