PS3 Folding@Home Project is Honored in Japan

Are you Folding @ Home?

If you’re a PlayStation 3 owner, why not contribute your unused processing cycles to Stanford University’s ongoing research project into protein folding?

You’ll be helping to wipe out diseases like cystic fibrosis, Alzheimer’s and cancer, of course, and who can say no to that? But you’ll also be showing off your good taste. Folding @ Home, you see, has been honored with the Good Design Gold Award for 2008 by the Japanese Ministry of International Trade and Industry.

From the judges:

Analysis of proteins for the purpose of shedding light on diseases is just one example of solution design for social issues, a stance that indicates the direction that design should take in the future. Motivating the people who will be involved in these studies will be the key to success, but the program functions well as an idea for making participation in this project visible on a global scale.

Via: Kotaku

Doomsong says:

Well I guess they had to find SOMETHING to do with a PS3 other than play little big planet… that is until they finaly incorporate that toaster in the PS4

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" – Benjamin Franklin

SeanB says:

assuming you just install both the programs with default settings, both would generaly fight over idle processing cycles, whichever has less downtime (hard drive read/writes) would probably get the most done.

The other optoin would be to install one to use idle processor cycles, and make another one slightly higher priority. Both would still stay out of the way of your regular computer use, but one would get more done than the other (probably a 50:1 ratio)

However, since you have a multicore processor, you could run both. With some advanced settings, you could give each program access to diferent cores.

I recomend picking one, and sticking with it though (folding is medical research, seti is searching for alien chatter which may not have even reached us yet)

SeanB says:

YES YES YES. Please do!

even the cores of your computer that you DO normally use can be devoted to the program, they’l only take the cycles you dont use for another program. Think about the few seconds it took to read this line. your comptuer did nothing. Millions of calculations per second….wasted.

E. Zachary Knight says:

Yes, Folding@home is available for PCs and the PS3. Great app if you want to help out. For Sci and Sci-fi fans, there is also SETI@home. But its not available for the PS3.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
    MySpace Page:
    Facebook Page:

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

HungryHungryHomer says:

Huh… I can see the next commercial blitz.

"Unlock the mysteries of life…  From the comfort of your own living room! Buy a PS3, and let God’s great work lay bare before ye!"

SeanB says:

Seti@home and Folding@home are both examples of distributed networking projects. Both have overwhelming amounts of data to crunch, so much that the largest super-computer would still take an unreasonable amount of time to finish it.

Distributed projects take that data, divide it into managable chunks, and distribute it amongts members. Some projects involve hundreds of thousands of computers worldwide. For many many years i helped work on "optimal golumn rulers", which were math challenges who’se results could help align satelite arrays. the data generated by Folding@home is used to analyze protein makups (protiens are the basic buildingblock of all life). seti@home analyzes chunks of radio-data collected from space. It analyzes it looking for patterns. Something a single computer could never do (there’s just toooo much data)

what’s amazing is that distributed computing projects run in the background on your computer. Unless your doing something pretty major on your computer, it’s doubtfull your using more than 1% of the available processing power. For example, while i write this i have IE, my virus scanners, an MP3 Player, and utorrent seeding 31 different files. I’m still not using more than a few percent of my processor.

Imagine that, now across about 300 million computers worldwide. That’s a LOT of wasted computer cycles. If we could harness all of that wasted processing time for a single task…..? well lets just say you should have one running. Wether you look for ET, or help cure cancer, it costs you nothing.

And when flip on a game, try to render a video, or start doing anything that uses just a little bit more processing power? seti, folding,, or whichever program you have running, it just goes dormant until your done. Your programs are ALWAYS held at a higher priority than it.

Hope that explains it :)

zel says:

yes except the return on investment will probably occur sooner than SETI. I used to run it on my PS3 but I got tired of my PS3 running all the time, I like to turn it off when not in use.

I am a signature virus, please copy and paste me into your signature to help me propagate.

Dragunov765 says:

I thought video games were evil!  Something like this might actually convince people to buy more consoles!  The evil will spread!

The evil will spread!