Is GameStop Lich King Ad Really Supposed to Read This Way?

So, GP just cruised over to GameStop’s website to grab a couple of box shots for the EA lawsuit article, and our gaze immediately fell up this ad for the upcoming WoW expansion, Wrath of the Lich King:

The Lich King, full of anger, vexation and, some might even say, wrath, brings a dark threat to Azeroth.

This expansion opens up the Lich King’s icy domain of Northrend, with the Borean Tundra, where the Packers play, and the Howling Fjord, which is what you get when you drive with the windows of your Taurus cracked open.

Get it first with In-Store Pickup!
PC – $39.99

Did someone forget to change some filler text in the ad, or is GameStop simply having a larf?

UPDATE: I’m hearing from some readers that GameStop has a bit of a history for this sort of thing.

NotSoHardcoreGamer says:

That college getting riled up over that prank is ridiculous.  It reminds me too much of the movie Patch Adams, with the medical school head citing "excessive happiness" as a character flaw in Robin Williams’ character..

As far as frat pranks go, that is certainly harmless.  As far as pop culture goes, it puts a smile on my face and anyone else who remembers the ads.  As far as taste goes, it’s not dirty and genuinely funny and good natured.

The world would be a better place if some people just lightened up!

As for the main topic: I’m a WoW player and thus:   WoW can be pretty comical too, to this thing is just fun.

zel says:

That would be the same day hell freezes over.

I am a signature virus, please copy and paste me into your signature to help me propagate.

Benjamin_Snow says:

Fails for not dissing one of the worst teams in the NFL:  The St. Louis Rams!

Overall, this is funny!  I am a Packers fan but I do have a sense of humor!

"We may be human, but we’re still animals" -Steve Vai (World’s greatest guitarist!)

SliderNL says:

You don’t want to deal with Blizzard business-wise, the amount of paperwork and bullshit is enormous. To get authorisation to use artwork is PAIN IN THE ASS.

About Politics: If you think the problems we create are bad, wait till you see our solutions.

SimonBob says:

A history of what?  Being so Ameri-centric that they think it only gets cold in Green Bay?  Hello!  Still about a thousand kilometres south of Winnipeg, people!  (700 miles, Gamespot.)  As a Canadian, I’m offended.  It’s wrong, I tells ya! 😀

On the plus side, I do drive an Escort.

The Mammon Industry

DavCube says:

OK, i don’t play WoW, but i know a sizable chunk of the terminology and whatnot, and i’m still trying to wrap my head around just what that’s even supposed to mean. The Packers bit i get.

King of Fiji says:

Is it truely wrong to fall in love with a brand of things whether it be a car, brand of coffee, or anything?

I named my Taurus Fordsie McTauruston and gave it a back story and promised one day it will be judged on the content of its engine and not the color and or brand name of its bumper.

And darn straight I’m a Weblanket "casual" gamer.  😛  I’m too busy being under my wet blanket to play games.

garrett says:

Gamestopo at it’s finest. GS lovers are all comanded to follow the leader! All hail GS!

Yeah, like I said, my bitchin’ has to do with more then one GS store, more then one issue, and with more then one GS moron who didn’t know about games.  Yes, I think that there may be one or two GS stores that have great managers, slightly changed store policies that work with the customer AND the employee, but probably not on my side of the planet.

Valdearg says:

I couldn’t disagree with this anti-GS poster more. I have also had nothing but great experiences from gamestop. In fact, I sometimes go in there with no intention of buying a game, just to shoot the shit with the guys who work there. Never had a disk in any sort of bad condition, every game I buy from there still works, even 2-3 years later, and Honestly, I enjoy going there for my games rather than some big chain store like Target or Wal-Mart or Best Buy because they actually KNOW something about the games they are selling. They can actually tell you what they thought of the game you are planning on buying.

Honestly, Bitching about how a store screwed YOU over isn’t going to change the ideas of anyone else who have had nothing but good experiences there. I just hate it when anyone goes "Business X sucks cuse I totally had one bad experience there!! Waah waah waah lets try to put them out of business!!" Honestly, grow up and quit your Bitching.

Erik says:

I’ve personally had nothing but good experiences with Game Stop.  I even once bought an Xbox game that I didn’t bother to check if it was backwards compatible with the 360.  It was not and so I returned it with no "Tuff shit" being told to me.  And the new games I buy in which the disc has been removed I’ve never had a disc less than immaculate condition.  It sounds like the Game Stop near you might just be crap.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

garrett says:

Did I hit a sore spot? Good. Because I have been the one wronged in more then a few Gamestop cheats, & in more then one store. A game I bought "new", meaning someone cracked the seal on it, and used the box as a display, had a small scratch on it, and a smudge of unknown origin. OH I’m SO sure they didn’t take it home/play/burn it/sat a soda on it. I ended up fixing it myself, because no other copies were available. It seems that your corner of the Gamestop may not do this, but the one around my corner thinks it’s fun to screw with my $50 bucks. So yes, there are OTHER employees that don’t let the customer actually see the disc, and actually try to hide the fact that they pulled out a USED disc. If they are so afraid of people stealing them, why can’t they put up a picture of the game, cardboard cut outs, or the like.

After purchasing a used game, it didn’t work either. When I came back to the store, I was given the "o’ tuff sht’ we can’t help you" speech. I had to go to three stores to find a replacement, the second one had a decency to actually call another store, because god forgive them if they pick up the phone and check for copies. So you call utter bs on my first statement? I have proof that it’s not because I keep my receipts and have friends that can attest to the crap that GS has put me through. Also, I thought of calling and complaining, like THAT’s going to make a whole lot of difference. But instead, I will speak with my wallet and my mouth to everyone I know.

There are other moments, but since I’m such a glutton for punishment, it’s embarresing to admit.

I’m not the only one who thinks that GS is a terrible place to shop or work at:

No retailer is innocent? Well, I’ve never heard of another VG retail store, such as Best Buy, chop up a console by removing the hard drive and selling it seperatly on line.

Also, I personally know employees that work at GS, and the horror stories can go on, like how they break up packaged game deals and sell them for a higher cost, gave them pay with Comdata cards, and were given laxitives to crap out any games they "might" have ingested to steal them (not really, but close)

As penny Arcade said, it’s an "Upscale Pawnshop". They make lots of money, but don’t pay the employees enough. So don’t feel sorry for the company you work for, they are rich. Checking to see how much GS makes through profits ($7.093 billion !!) is not ignorance, my friend. If they paid employees some of that money, changed polices in the stores, and actually introduced the word "fun" into work, it would be a step in the right direction. Also, having a GS in every corner doesn’t help. Look what happened to Starbucks…

Baruch_S says:

What are you talking about? I’ve NEVER had trouble with a game from Gamestop, new or used. I’ve also never seen an employee handle the disks irresponsibly. They take the games out of the cases to prevent theft; it’s not like they play frisbee with the DVDs in the back room or something. The employees I’ve met have all handled the disks better than I’ve seen many gamers handle them, and the they’re generally pretty nice about people returning stuff or calling in a warranty.

Bennett Beeny says:

Personally, I don’t buy games at Gamestop anymore because I don’t like the way they handle new game discs.  It seems like every game they sell is removed from its case and kept behind the counter and may be handled by any number of employees with no regard to keeping the disc in good condition.

King of Fiji says:

That makes sense that games returned that are opened would be considered used as they were already man handled.

Also fooey to you and the Ford Taurus Nerd Sterotyping company you work for.

nighstalker160 says:

That is hilarious.  I really hope no one whines and gets it taken down.

When I was at the University of Maryland a few years ago this truck crashed through the brick sign at our main entrance. Completely totalled the sign.  A few days later some frat put this up:

It was HILARIOUS.  But the school went crazy and took it down saying stuff like

"Childish pranks…vandals…should respect their school."

It was so crappy.

J.Alpha.Gamma says:

Let’s not discount all the fanboys getting their panties in a wad over Final Fantasy 13 being on the 360, despite the fact that it’ll be on their beloved PS3, too.

Some people will get mad over anything for no reason at all. The rest of us call them "comedy gold." 😀

jmcc says:

Hey, the Halloween zombie infestation was hilarious, but the shrieking OCD nerdo set ruined it. I don’t think it’s off base to say there’s a significant portion of the WoW subscribership who hate fun.

nighstalker160 says:

Oh yeah, the guys that did it said they were inspired by the multiple Kool-Aid man sketches.

It was kind of funny how the administration went BALLISTIC over it.  They kept calling the students immature for liking it, saying that it was incredibly crude and disrespectful.  It almost got comical.

ddrfr33k says:

Actually, being an employee at GS, I’ll call utter bullshit on the first statement and ignorance the second.

1.) Gamestop only opens new games to put the cases on display.  And yes, we get morons who try to steal the cases, even when there’s no game inside.  Further, we have our own labels that we affix to the new game to seal it at point of purchase, and will honor the new game return policy if that label is intact.  I also allow the customer to see the disc being put in, not sure if any other employees do that, but I do.  And our return policy on new games is no different from any other electronics retailer.  look at Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, or any other place that sells video games.  their return policies are not much different from ours.  I mean, say a person doesn’t like the game they buy.  We can’t sell it as new anymore, because it’s simply not new.

2.) no retailer is innocent when it comes to profit margins.  you look at some of the cables radio shack sells, they’re making 70-80% profit on those suckers.  This is nothing new.  Pawn shops do exactly the same thing.   Are they scumbags for trying to stay in business?  I certainly don’t think so.  Depending on location, retail spots charge as much as $5-10k per month for rent.  Don’t forget electricity, water (for the bathroom), internet (if applicable), and you’ve got to make ends meet if you want to stay in business.  When a retail store can’t stay afloat, they close up.

I’m done ranting now.  >.>

King of Fiji says:

Lord knows I’m trying to get the balls up to call and complain that I’m offended at the crack about the Taurus and that I have a history with that car.  T_T

Also after Ford discontinued it only to do the balls kicking move of bringing back the name just for brand recognition its really more of a kick in the balls for the sterotype of the Taurus being a nerdy car to be thrown around.

Really I mean kudos for the new CEO realizing that the old CEO was dumb but really when you get down to its its just a renamed Ford 500…..which in retrospect seems like a good successor but that shouldn’t be called the Ford Taurus.

In short fudge you Game Stop.

garrett says:

A cheap attempt to make gamers feel better after they were just suckered into buying an opened, slighly used, "NEW" game from GS, or giving you 2 dollars for something they will sell for 30.

whine whine whine

I think I will contact GS HQ and tell them I’m offended by the ad.

PHX Corp says:

I think that was not the first one. They did it with Star Wars: The force unleashed. That if you turn to the dark side that you get a discount at some store (I Forgot the rest)

Alex says:

I’m a WoW fan, I’m not much of a football fan, but I don’t see why anyone should be pissed about this. I think it’s funny.

Am I missing something?

I’m not under the affluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I am. I’m not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don’t know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the longer I get.

Valdearg says:

Actually, Im a major Packers Fan, and Honestly, I kind of want to walk into the Borean Tundra and see a bunch of NPC’s Running around in Green and Gold.. I would get a kick out of that, LOL.

Doomsong says:

Not bad, not bad… but you know some psycho fanboy will get on here crying about it in an hour or so…

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" – Benjamin Franklin

Father Time says:

Man that’s priceless, I love a company with a sense of humor.

"What for you bury me in the cold cold ground?" – Tasmanian devil