Saturday is National Gaming Day @ Your Library

Who needs books at a library?

This Saturday is gaming day in the stacks, baby.

That’s because the American Library Association has declared November 15th to be the first-ever National Gaming Day @ Your Library Day. Libraries across the country (some more than others, certainly) will celebrate the fun and educational benefits of video and board games.

In addition to online gaming events, Wizards of the Coast has donated  copies of D&D as well as Magic the Gathering to libraries so that they may run local tournaments.

ALA president Jim Rettig commented:

Gaming formats have become a valuable tool for libraries, Not only has this new format increased library usage from hard to reach users such as teens, we also have found that video games attract a variety of users and are a great vehicle to teach basic technology skills.

More info is available from the ALA.

djnforce9 says:

WoW! First DVDs make it into libraries and now this. It’d be amazing once those hard to find PC games also start popping up in local libraries (just as I can find movies which aren’t easy to track down in stores). I doubt they’ll limit the gamebase to edutainment only since all genres of movies tend to appear already. It also seems to make being a librarian a pretty sweet job for those in charge of the games area.

Quarantine says:

What the **** is this ****?! Trippin’ off Acid or something!

"Because this town is under the stranglehold of a few tight eyed Tree Huggers who would rather play Hacky Sack than lock up the homeless" — Birch Barlow

Father Time says:

Dear IRS,

I have decided that I won’t be paying taxes next year and there’s nothing you pencil necked dweebs can do about it.

Here’s my address [insert address], in case you lilly livered cowards ever want to come over. I need something to laugh at and seeing your wimpy quivering faces when you get this letter will do just that.

[your name]

THAT’S how you write dangerously.

"What for you bury me in the cold cold ground?" – Tasmanian devil

Doomsong says:

At the risk of making a bad pun… This is long overdue…

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" – Benjamin Franklin

InJM says:

When I was little and my library only had Apple ][s and similar machines, you could use them, with a reservation, to play edutainment games.  And this was 20 years ago or so.

Kalerender says:

Bad weekend to choose it.

A few million gamers across the US will be chained to their PC with the WoW expansion release.

I know if something like that came down here (Aus) I’d be interested in going along, but not this weekend!

Flamespeak says:

How do you "Write dangerously"?

Is your pen/pencil wired to a bomb that will detonate if you write less than 40 words per minute?

Are you writing random summoning spells from the necromonicon and hoping that you don’t summon up one of the Great Old Ones?

Maybe you are writing a story while swimming with great whites who are frenzied…..

SimonBob says:

They possibly could’ve picked a better day for this.  November 15th is also National Novel Writing Month’s "Night Of Writing Dangerously," and I believe a lot of NaNo participants are setting up marathon write-in sessions (or at least we’re doing it in my region.)

Obviously there’s going to be a conflict no matter what date you pick (it’s also conference final day in the Canadian Football League, for example) but these are a pair of literary-esque events that seem like they could be kept apart.

The Mammon Industry