Parents To Start a Foundation in Brandon Crisp’s Memory

In a just-released statement the parents of Brandon Crisp say that they plan to create a foundation to help unpriveleged children have the opportunity to play sports.

Although it was known that the Crisps would release a statement today, the focus of the proposed foundation is a bit of a surprise. Some believed that the family would target video game addiction, which was initially blamed for Brandon’s disappearance by his parents. The oft-repeated game addiction theme gathered much traction in the Canadian media as well.

The 15-year-old gamer will be buried on Friday.

The full text of the Crisp family’s statement follows:

The story of our son’s disappearance and tragic outcome has touched the hearts of families throughout our community and across our Country.

We are so very proud to have parented such a wonderful, caring and beautiful son who has touched so many hearts.

We take great comfort in our time of grief, knowing that his story has and will continue to have a profound impact on parents and children alike, that more time will be made by families to share precious time together. Life and love should never be taken for granted.

To honor Brandon’s name we will be creating a foundation to support under privileged children throughout our community and across Canada to play minor sports they may not otherwise be able to afford. An interim donation account has been set up with the CIBC as the Brandon Crisp Trust Account, Donations can be made at any CIBC branch across Canada.

The support we have had from so many has been completely overwhelming and has made an everlasting impression on our family.

We would now like to give special thanks to the many from our community and throughout Canada who have touched the hearts of the Crisp family and helped to relay this story throughout our great Country.

The Community of the City of Barrie, the Barrie Police dept, the Barrie Advance Newspaper and all of its staff, Family & Friends, Neighbors, clients, employees & sub contractors of Basement Concepts, St Josephs High School, The Catholic school board, The Sweetzer Family, Roosters Bar & Grill (Todd & Suzy), Microsoft Canada, Rogers Television, Metroland Media, Childsave Canada, Childfind Canada, CP24 News, A Channel news, CTV news, CTV National, CBC news, Global News, City TV, Breakfast Television (Kevin Frankish), Macleans Magazine, The Fifth Estate, CBC Sunday Morning, Annan-Bird Graphics company of Mississauga, Indy Imaging of Indianapolis, Strategic Outdoor Advertising of Barrie and Freskiw Farms of Coldwater.

275 comments

1. Amen4u says:

Well for one, my screen name is not offensive and if you assume that I choose it for christian purposes, then think again. But the entire world assumes so you are forgiven, And I have never once, not once talked about or even metioned religion on here.  I also never once blamed the console for anything, never blamed gamers, never blamed xbox, I only stated that the Crisps stated that Brandon had an addiction to COD4 and that is what the argument was about and why he ran away… If the arguement was about anything else then I would have stated that too. But in all reality I probably would not have stumbled in here if the arguement was about him wanting to figure skate instead of play hockey.. I don’t know….I have never met so many people in one place so damn defensive about a hobby.

2. Austin_Lewis says:

Question: When your local search teams got the information about him being seen with his bike, why didn’t they search there?  Or are your search teams just worthless?

3. Chuma says:

"No they still are very much in belief that gaming is addicting, and they do not want their son to be remembered as a Kid who had a gaming addiction."

Oh, you speak for them now?  What a privledged position you have.  *rolls eyes*

4. Amen4u says:

How wrong you are, in everything you just said. Brandon was found miles away from his home, not 2 blocks, the police didn’t know where to search until they got a call that Brandon was seen in a certain location…whereupon my husband and his search team then had a location to now search…And if you weren’t blind  you would read the article and not just the damn headlines…

5. Austin_Lewis says:

If they decided to sue or make a bigger issue it wouldn’t have been the same.  They spent most of the investigation blaming ‘game addiction’ and an ‘internet gaming mafia ring’ or pedophiles for kidnapping their son, which kept the police from looking nearby for the child, who, if I’ve been hearing correctly, was 2 blocks away from his home when he was found.   As for filing a lawsuit against Microsoft, that’s both ungrateful and unreasonable.  The parents are responsible for their child, not Microsoft.

6. Amen4u says:

The parents started this mess by jumping to some pretty increadable conclusions and slandering a whole group of people who, frankly, are tired of it.

Oh Ya I remeber now, " they Said" " Brandon has been taken by the entire gaming community, we hate gamers and they are going to pay. Please please gamers everywhere please give us back our son…

You are paranoid and generally putting words into their mouths, not to say starting a hate thread…

7. Adamas Draconis says:

Well lady I HAVE fallen from a tree, fractured 3 ribs hitting a branch on the way down trying to slow my fall, so yes, you can crush your chest falling from a tree.I’m not saying that that IS what happened, but I know from my own expierence that it is possible.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

8. Amen4u says:

No I do not know better, and Suicide and Murder have not been ruled out. The police are still investigating. A short time ago a young girl went missing here and they thought that she left on her own accord, the police said that all fould play was ruled out in her dissapearance.. low and behold.. they found her body severed and scattered in three different places.. They now have a two suspects and have confiscated their computors for evidence in the case…

Sure throws out the statement earlier right.. NO FOUL PLAY in missing girls dissapearance.  Brandon had injuries that the coroner stated could have resulted from a fall from a tree. Well they could have resulted from other things as well.  His chest was crushed. Hard to beleive that a fall from a tree would crush his chest.. but I do not know i have never fallen from a tree. Got stuck in one once, from bullies chasing me up into it. Then got my foot stuck… My parents came looking for me and helped me out…

9. Amen4u says:

But when you openly attack the majority of people here by taking the words of a few and implying that it is the majorities opinion. That is going to far.

Going to far– so it is ok for the members here to call me anything they like, because I am the bad one for responding to the so called few for being so far opinioniated up the ass that they only see the crisis as a backward step in the so called fight for their hobby.

Like I said before, my husband plays games, he also searched for Brandon.. did he ever make a judgment on their statements about their sons’s gaming obbession, did he stand their and tell Steve right to his face that he was an idiot for making that claim and that he didn’t know his son at all and that he was in poor judgement to blame gaming addiction and that he ran away because he was a bad parent, and he should be the one under suspicion because, 80% of the time it is the parents that murder their child and nothing else.. And maybe we should tell them at the funeral tommorow that they should make a public appology to all the insulted gamers out there that have been so deeply affected by their claims of their child being addicted to gaming..and spent so much time and money in the search for your son.

Stop telling me what I am suppose to do and how I am suppose to repond to such idiotic remarks. Stop telling me that I am attacking the majority. I may have generalized in the past, but then again the negative and most idiotic remarks stand out and deserve a response for their comments.

I am not as thick Skinned as others, and I wish you would all just stop telling me how to respond or post. I have kept it civil as asked, but as far as telling me what I comment on and what I can’t, that is sensoring or cyber bullying.

10. jadedcritic says:

Whoh, whoh…

I’ve tried to stay quiet, I really have, but I’m not asking for anyone’s forgiveness and frankly, they aren’t either. Well they shouldn’t be.  Why is it so difficult to understand that people are sometimes going to be judgemental.  Doesn’t even have anything to do with games, forget about the games.  Pretend Brandon was playing tetherball and got knocked off his feet and hit his head on a rock or something.  I don’t know how it is Canada, but I know here there would be a sect of people wanting to use that as evidence that kids should be required to play tetherball with helmets.

Amen,

I don’t know you, and I don’t know the crisps.  You probably won’t believe me when I say this, but frankly, I’m not particularly interested in judging either of you. Pity you sure seem willing to judge us.   I suggest that it doesn’t matter what we think. We can build a temple to the crisps and it still wouldn’t bring him back, nor would it necessarily make the crisps bad parents.

What I’m trying to say here is actually quite simple.  If we believe that monkeys in rocket packs abducted Brandon, that doesn’t make it true.  It’s just an opinion.  If you believe that gamers are jerks, that doesn’t make it true, it’s just an opinion.  If your problem with us is that we judge the crisps based on what we have available, well, guess what.  Isn’t that what you’re doing to us?  Let it go, go on with your life.  Help the crisps with their foundation.  We’ll be going on with our lives.

11. Cecil475 says:

I still play the SNES verson. (Not as much as I did then.)) I know how to make my players (almost)) invincible. [insert Kefka laugh here.] Yep. good times. My favorite Final Fantasy game. These days I cycle between Gran Turismo, Grand Theft Auto, and Final Fantasy series games. depends on my mood. It’s Gran Turismo 4 now.

Edit: And thanks for your concern. I get angry looking back at how I was treated then. 🙁 And think, these days they want to blame a game called Bully for this kind of stuff.

– Warren Lewis

R.i.P GamePolitics 2005-2016

12. DeepThorn says:

If you want to debate, do so without name calling, direct insults, and generalization.  Keep the debate factual, structured, and clean.  We have debates around here all of the time, but they normally stick to some form of logical progression and dont go toward direct insults unless we are joking around with each other or JT because he is fun to joke around with.

I can see the logic behind jack though.  He thinks he is doing something for the greater good.  Half of what is going on with you has nothing about any greater good, but just arguing with people, and half the time not even related to the topic at hand.  If you need to vent, then by all means do so, to a professional psychologist/therapist or your family to help you through your frustrations.

If you want to vent toward the gaming community, there are better places than here.  Some of them are places created for just that even.  You are welcome here by all means when talking or debating about the topic at hand, but only if you stick with the rules.  If someone directly insulted you and called you a bitch like I believe you stated above, then they were far out of line, but there is no reason to sink to their level. (I come here to joke around [like talking about duct taping and chaining mike up], have fun, and check up on news Dennis has posted more than anything though.)

If we are debating, I might take a few deep shots and question your knowledge, facts, and experience, but that is part of a debate.  You did it to me about my knowledge if your situation, it is just how it works.  I questioned your Mario Bros addiction due to the type of game it is, and asked for more information about that story even.  Maybe I could learn something from it.  I would love to discuss further about that if you wish even.  How we do so would be up to you even.

My background in psychology is well respected by licensed psychologists and the area I was focusing around was addiction and depression, which every case of addiction I have seen has been linked to depression.  I am not going any deep on that here though.

I love to learn and research many different things, sciences, history, and so on.  I watch at least 2 hours of video or read different items posted by professionals in different fields of science.  I just love to learn, and hate seeing how many people are so far behind in knowing so much about these areas where man kind could progress. (I love how Canadians said pro-gress compared to the US’s progress with no emphasis on o giving it an ah sound.  I love how Aussies say aluminum too.)

Now that you know a little more about me, lets all just be friends and be civil.

Nido Web Flash Tutorials AS2 and AS3 Tutorials for anyone interested.
    How to set Xbox 360 Parental Controls

13. Neeneko says:

Bad example.

A better one would be if someone commited suicde over breaking up with their girlfriend then going to a feminist politics website and ranting about how women are evil and should never have been given the rigth to vote because this is what happens.

14. Neeneko says:

Oddly enough you are also showing why Christians have such a bad reputation.  Starting with an offensive screen name was not a good start and jumping in immediatly with ‘gamers are insenstive adicts and this is all games fault!’ didn’t help.

And of course people would react differntly if they decided to sue.  Tradegy is not an exuse for injustice and as long as the parents are doing bad things then a site dedicated to tracking and fighting such things is going to react poorly.

15. Erik says:

Yes that is exactly what I am telling you.  You have no discernable purpose here that I’ve seen other than to berate the people here.  So again I ask, why the fuck are you here?

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

16. Neeneko says:

Because she is a troll? Too well spoken for a /b/tard but seems to be in it for the lulz anyway.

Probably someone who simply really likes feeling superior over a group of people that she sees as less then human (or at least less then her class) and thus needs to validate her pathedic existance by trolling sites she doesn’t agree.  You don’t go on the attack outside your community like this unless you are getting something out of it.

Esp since her original explination of why she came here doesn’t hold water… looking for clues? On a politics site? More like looking for a site that is going to be reporting on the sillyness of the parent’s accusations so she could start off with claims of insensitivty.  GP was a well choosen target by a practiced troll, nothing more.

17. nighstalker160 says:

1) I wasn’t apologizing to you.  I was apologizing to EZK and this community for being a part of the problem. If I wanted to apologize to you, I would have, and left it at that.  I’m quite capable of making two points, to two or more different parties, in one post

2) There are 33 meanings of the word "Bear."  The one I was using is meaning number 9:

9. to suffer; endure; undergo: to bear the blame.

3) Thank you for the slam on my chosen profession.  Of course, you wouldn’t know that I volunteer my own time at pro bono clinics to help people withe landlord tenant disputes and domestic relations issues.  You also might be interested to know that I plan to go into JDR (Juvenile and Domestic Relations) Prosecution.  Certainly not a big money-maker.  But hey, someone has to go after people who abuse their spouses and children.  And at least the juvenile system gives a chance of rehabilitiation in my state as opposed to the adult prison system.

18. Neeneko says:

Actually it still happens.

Many ultra-religious households can be  very, very strict about their kid’s reading habbits and I have seen conflicts over such things.  And just like this case, the book becomes the ‘straw that broke the camel’s back’ compared to all the other problems in such repression.

19. Neeneko says:

So you are saying it is bad that the gamming community is trying to be adult and actually put forward the olive branch?

Think about how it would have gone if the parents said ‘we think some mexian guy took our kid! mexian guys are responsible!  we should restrict imigration!’.. and then someone like you showed up on an imigration law site and started complaining that we were *gasp* offended by the slurs?

The parent murder theory was wrong, but looking at crime statitics it was FAR more crediable then the ‘video game mafia’ one.  And given thier behavior they have no room to critisize anyone (esp people they have attacked) for jumping to saner conclusions then their own.

20. Alevan says:

Second that one. Who needs a cell phone that plays music, videos, etc… I need it when I need to make a phone call. Maybe internet, so I can read up on the news while on the go(I love mah news) but that’s it. Kids don’t need this texting, and all that. I do that when I use a computer!

Amy Levandoski

21. Alevan says:

I wanted to avoid the drama but I couldn’t help but read your post. 🙁 I’m sorry you had a rough time and I’m glad things are better for you now! I remember FFIV(III) for the SNES. Although Mom played it and got me into it with her voice acting of the video games, being that I couldn’t read well. Ah the good ol’ days.

Amy Levandoski

22. NovaBlack says:

”So in better terms, if my child dies of an overdoes to cocaine, I”

THAT right there is the problem.. you are analagising, but once again you show that you feel brandon died because of an addiciton to his xbox. the whole point was that that wasnt the case!

And to answer your full question..

if a) cocaine had no proven negative consequences

and b) taking cocaine was a socially acceptable, and legal , past time

then yeah.. if you went to a bunch of cocaine users saying cocaine killed him.. then i dont really see your point, you would meet opposition to your view. What else would you expect?

23. NovaBlack says:

i dont know what else you expect..

If i put on a giant sign saying ”All members of (insert a particular race or culture here ) are genetically inferior and (add inults here) " and then walked around an area predominantly habited by those same people…. would i be suprised if i got insulted?

Its narrow-minded, rude, ignorant, and just plain wrong to prejudge and generalise in the ways you have (and continue) to do.   As long as you insist on not debating constructively, you wont get anything better back. We are always welcome and open to new members gamer or non gamer, it has no bearing. What matters is that they share a simple respect.

24. NovaBlack says:

”Probably older than most on this site … ”

really? how old am i then? i mean you DO know dont you? oh.. you dont? ahh right.. you were STEREOTYPING again werent you?

I dont understand why you cant see that this is exactly the same as generalising a whole race, age, gender ..etc. ITs JUST as bad. PLEASE stop doing it.

25. Shadow D. Darkman says:

"…you’re a part of the conspiracy."

Do you realize you sound like JT when you say that?

——————————————————————————

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

26. Shadow D. Darkman says:

…wut?

——————————————————————————

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

27. Shadow D. Darkman says:

I considered briefly one time, I forget why, but I never did it.

——————————————————————————

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

28. NovaBlack says:

”and all you guys can think about is yourselves

They still have made this entire tragedy about their friggin gaming.

seems to me like you were condeming all of us, or at least generalising in an unfair way…

perhaps you should phrase things better.

29. Shadow D. Darkman says:

Make me. I use 24pt now so go away if you’re gonna post comments like that.

——————————————————————————

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

30. NovaBlack says:

”Oh ya they will just put on their rose colored glasses and only see the nice posts.( few and far between)”

a) better than having anti-rose colored glasses and only seeing the nasty posts?

b) in case you havent noticed the MAJORITY of posts are condolances and well wishers. what i cant stand is that when arguments do start (look at the longest argument threads here) who is heavily involved in the argument / aggrivation each time?

YOU.

perhaps you should accept that since you are a common factor in all the arguments, you should stop posting if you cant post nicely. This thread should be a place to post your wishes and support. thats it. Instead, it continues to devolve into this. And each time you are involved.

Strange how us ‘gamers’ are all ‘heartless’ yet its not us hijacking the thread.

31. Cecil475 says:

I support what they have setup here and I would donate $$$ if I had $$$ right now. I might next month. 🙂 I wish them all the luck with this.

– Warren Lewis

R.i.P GamePolitics 2005-2016

32. Cecil475 says:

"Hey whats is  your childs name..??? Maybe I will start a ""make fun of your child blog  ""on the internet and call you a bad parent and see how you like it."

You said that. Not us.

– Warren Lewis

R.i.P GamePolitics 2005-2016

33. Spartan says:

No worries. Again I understand your intentions. I did not intend the rest to be taken as finger pointing and or name calling statement it was meant in a light humor way. The way we all take JT and his antics. Apparently I clearly failed to communicate.

—————————————————————————

"The most difficult pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much and power over little" – Herodotus

34. Amen4u says:

Well one would think that when a boys goes missing, and they suspect foul play, and an addiction to gaming, you might, just might get some help form a gaming site. Not everyone is on a linching here.

35. Cecil475 says:

Look Amen4u,

It’s not all about us. Most of us (From what comments I’ve read so far)) all support the Foundation they started in his honour. We are also happy that dropped the whole ‘games made him run off’ angle. It is really to start like you are taking this like it’s more about you than the family. Like we are insulting you personally. I for one support the foundation they have started and I hope it all works out for them. There need to be more afterschool programs. More kids playing sports, after some parent organizations trying to ban playing tag, and some contact sports becuase they are afraid their children will be injured.

I was addicted to games as a kid. I remember playing Final Fantasy VI (Then named Final Fantasy III)) on the SNES as a kid in high school (1995-1998)) and I would skip school some days, and and I would turn down the TV’s brightness and contrast to the point of barely seeing the image on the tv to avoid being caught. The addiction was an escapism from a problem I was having. I was bullied at school. For one, we were assigned seats on the bus and I was put beside another guy, who was bigger then me and he would constantly tickle me. I hated it. I screamed for help. None came. I complained. Nothing happened. I couldn’t fight him off at all, and I would get suspended it I was sucessiful. A lose-lose situation. Another, was I was bullied inside school as well as outside on the bus. Again, I made attempts to defend myself and was suspended each time. The offenders, had friends that would vouch for eachother and the vice principal would look at me and say. "They outnumber you. They have witnesses. They have no reason to lie." and I would be suspended and they would be off the hook. So I would go home and get lost in a good videogame. Yeah, my grades suffered. But then again I faked illnesses to get out of school, and that was to avoid the guy on the bus more than it was to stay home and play games. But played games since I was home anyway. As soon as I graduated High School the picking stopped. The playing didn’t stop due to problems at home. My dad and I don’t get along. I moved out in 2003. Since then, I don’t play as much as I used to and I make better grades in collage. They are more interested in getting through their classes than picking on me.

Was I grounded as a kid? Yes. My games were taken away. And I lived without them untill I got them back. I did go off to blow steam. Though I’m too afraid of heights to climb trees. Accidents do happen. And I do think His addiction was covering up for something deeper. Take it from a former game-addict.

– Warren Lewis

R.i.P GamePolitics 2005-2016

36. gamadaya says:

lol! You’d think so, huh. God, I’m laughing so hard. You phrased that comment very well.

———————————

Internet troll > internet paladin

37. mootyslayer says:

Why would he have to look up the word Bear?

Its defined as 12. To carry on, or maintain; to have. “The credit of bearing a part in the conversation.” –Locke.

It made sense to me.

38. Andrew Eisen says:

Upon reflection I’ve put the first part of your post back.  The rest stays gone however as it’s merely finger pointing and name calling and won’t do anything more than start another flame war which (as you’ve noticed) this article has enough of.

Andrew Eisen

39. Amen4u says:

So in better terms, if my child dies of an overdoes to cocaine, I better not go to a site that people are all cocaine users bcause I am banging my head againts the wall… is this fair to say?

40. Spartan says:

For the record I disagree. The thread is a train wreck now and my other comments did not break any of the rules. However I understand you are trying to control the situation nonetheless.

—————————————————————————

41. Spartan says:

OMG! This thread turned into a train wreck of epic proportions!

AE: The rest is going a bit too far so I’ve deleted it.

—————————————————————————

42. gamadaya says:

What made you think I was a woman? Was it the frequent use of profanity or my total lack of empathy?

———————————

Internet troll > internet paladin

43. d.vel.oper says:

Right. And if you look at the history of this site, you will realize that for us, it is a beacon of hope. A beacon that one day somebody in your position will read it, and try to understand what you didn’t previously. We are the utter and complete minority in EVERY gaming debate, solely because we have a passion for truely interactive entertainment? We embrace the technology of our era, and we are beaten down, censorsed, and accused for what we love. Is it so wrong for those of us who choose to be defensive? For those of us who react instantly with ‘Oh no, not again’ sentiments? What part of society is free from these ills, I ask you? We try to be understanding, we try to be logical, but time and time again our past-time is viewed as for childen, and insignificant. Of course they loved their son, but for many here, on this site, which you have chosen to voice your opinion on, our daily reality is attack. Defense is a natural mechanism, is it not? Had you worded your arguments more carefully, I promise you would have those who would sympathize with you and Brandon’s family.

44. gamadaya says:

Most people were on the defense right away because that’s what we’ve been trained to do after countless video game witch hunts. You can’t blame us for that. You got attacked not because you stood up to people who were berating the Crisps, but because you chastized people who expressed relief that the Crisps chose not to go after gaming in general, under the assumption that they didn’t appreciate the fact that a boy just died. In my case you were right, but I doubt those other people felt no empathy for the Crisps.

———————————

Internet troll > internet paladin

45. d.vel.oper says:

lol Apple fails again. Seriously though, maybe GP should expose an RSS backend, because the resolution constraints on this page are most likely at fault. However, let me say you made quite the coherent post, and I hope your screen isn’t too smudged that you can’t read this. 😛

46. Amen4u says:

But I think most people were on the defense right away..myself I had no opinion one way or another until I got attacked for standing up for what was being so cruely stated here about Brandon and His parents. My husband is out searching for a lost boy, who’s parents are devasted.. everything is going through their minds at this point..  They are asked by police.. WHAT HAPPENED. their reply. We have been having trouble with this xbox situation and when we took it away he ran way…For the love of GOD, these parents were not on a witch hunt, they were a hunt for their son. a son they loved very much…

47. d.vel.oper says:

Okay, let me break this down for you. The original view of his parents (or that portrayed by the media) was that his XB360 gaming was at fault for his (death) disappearance. If you can’t see that due to previous statements given by them, then all my time this morning has been wasted, as you will never see reason. Put yourself in our position, every step we take forward as gamers (and there are lots of them, reference the Gamers Doing Good tag on this site for just a small portion) the media and general public knock us two steps back. Yes, there were those being defensive. Just as Brandon’s parents were doing. If we are to ever come to a constructive end to the ‘gaming addiction problem’, there needs to be a fair viewpoint presented. If you let your comments be colored by your beliefs, just as those you chastise have, then there will never be a solution to the problem. I will admit that there can be an addiction to anything, because addiction is a personality trait, it is not the fault of a specific cause. Obsessive people become obsessed with whatever is either accessible or forbidden (usually both at the same time) to them. Brandon may have become obsessed with Call of Duty 4, and when wind came here of the news, mosts reaction was ‘Fuck, not again.’ and the defensiveness followed. However, and I may just be too optimistic for the real world, most can understand the true issue is the loss of a young boy, whose life meant something to those around him, and due to media coverage, those who have never even met him. I really do feel for and with you, as many here do, contrary to their comments. The entire event is sad, I just wish you could lose the venom and feel with us as I feel for you.

Edit: Holy shit, it’s the great wall of text.

48. gamadaya says:

Hey "ma’m", don’t go putting words in people’s mouths. I actually don’t care what their understanding of why he ran away is as long as they don’t actually turn it into a public attack on gamers.

———————————

Internet troll > internet paladin

49. Shadow D. Darkman says:

"lol Apple fails again."

Filters fail worse.

——————————————————————————

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

50. Shadow D. Darkman says:

Hah! It’s killed your pics too!

——————————————————————————

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

51. Andrew Eisen says:

No, all the formatting tools you need should be immediately above the text entry box.  Bold, italics, bullets, hyperlinks, emoticons…the works.

Andrew Eisen

52. Amen4u says:

You took their understanding of why he ran away as a persoanl attack against gamers. They were concerned that maybe, just maybe he was lured by some sick asshole preying on kids..It happens everywhere on the net and on the streests.

53. Amen4u says:

Nor is crucifying him or his parents. Or me for standing up to dicks. And why are you thankful that they didn’t crucfy gaming, what personal attack did they represent to you. They said Brandon had an addiction to gaming, not that all gamers were evil.

54. gamadaya says:

Understand whose? The *ahem* distinguished lady’s? I understand it just fine. Thing is, I like my reasoning a lot better.

———————————

Internet troll > internet paladin

55. Ma2ReeD says:

@Amen4u:
    why did you flame those people? they did not say anything offensive, and they did not purposly try to offend anybody.
    I think it would be better if you stopped commenting on this article, as its only going to upset you, other readers, and the mods.

Also, I find it very offensive that you insulted me and members of my family(lawyers/gamers) who were neutral in this arguement up until this point. While you did indirectly insult gamers and lawyers,an apology would be nice.

EDIT: do I have to use HTML or something to format my posts?

56. d.vel.oper says:

Reply to edit: Depends on the browser and screen resolution, I guess, lol.

I understand your reasoning friend, but my point is that you should understand hers as well. Callousness is not a substitute for perception.

57. gamadaya says:

Yeah, that’s a dick move too. That’s not what I’m doing though. The kid is dead, and crucifying gamers isn’t going to bring him back, nor is it the right thing to do. What I’m doing is being thankful that the parents chose not to do that. Do I give a shit about the kid or the parents? No. Am and being callous? Yes. Am I being a dick? Probably. But I still see their viewpoint.

EDIT: Incidentally, how far to the right can these posts be indented before we run into trouble?

———————————

Internet troll > internet paladin

58. Matthew says:

Hey, even my post wasn’t "win for gamers" and I’m sorry if it came out that way. It was meant as "hopefully we can all move on." I was criticising the gamers who have been displaying grossly inappropriate behaviour when discussing this story.

59. d.vel.oper says:

Is it not a dick-move to place your hobby above anothers life? Believe me, I understand where you are coming from, we’re ostracized almost every step of the way, but if we only see our own viewpoint and not others, we are doomed from the start.

60. gamadaya says:

I can say with ultimate certainty that I would have been pissy. There would be far fewer condolences offered. I would be able to see where the parents are coming from, but a dick move is a dick move no matter what the (hypothetical) situation.

———————————

Internet troll > internet paladin

61. d.vel.oper says:

Split personality? Not so much. I am compassionate, while also being quite cynical. We are all products of our environment. Hence why I reference the ‘twisted’ sense of humor I posess. The humor was at your expense, admittedly, but as I said previously, I’m tired of Brandon’s memory being invoked in this argument. Yes, he gamed. To what extent? Only him (rest his soul) and his family know the answer. Now his parents are attempting to turn this wholly negative into a positive, and rather than sit back and watch you and my compatriots (however unintentionally) turn this into another flame war, I’m attempting to exercise my better nature. How long will it last? I don’t know, but this has to end, because it’s far from constructive.

62. gamadaya says:

Didn’t you say earlier that you didn’t call people names?

———————————

Internet troll > internet paladin

63. Amen4u says:

wow do you have a split personality, because this was not your attitude last night or before. You were quite ignorant to me….Why the change of attitude.

64. gamadaya says:

You’re more liberal than I am. That’s OK I guess. I rather have a liberal moderator than one who bans the second things start to get a little hairy.

EDIT: Of course, sometimes it’s easier to nip it in the bud than to have to keep clipping away at the thread.

———————————

Internet troll > internet paladin

65. d.vel.oper says:

This is understandable, but by allowing your follow-up comments, the fire gets bigger. As much as we’d like to please everybody, including you, it’s not possible. By deleting the ‘bitch’ comment, that leg of the thread would appear incoherent, and allow more scornful follow up. It may be hard for you to recognize right now, but it’s really for the best. I attempt to be respectful in my debates, and though many of the people here have as twisted, if not more, a sense of humor as I do, I don’t believe either side of a debate should lodge any sort of insult. I sincerely apologize if you feel wronged, but please try to see passed the insults to the core of the issue that you’re obviously so passionate about. Eloquent arguments far outweight childish insults, do they not?

66. Amen4u says:

Yes but would it have been the same if they decided to sue, or make a bigger issue out of gaming addiction. I do not think so, or they would have stepped up right at the first.. Maybe I do have a bias opion on gamers now and maybe I am generlaizing, but what I have experienced here is to blame.. Go ahead and say that we are all human,and defensive over games, come on now, when was putting gaming over a life being human.

67. Andrew Eisen says:

Amen4u is welcome to express her opinion as long as it’s on topic and civil.  No one had to respond to her post but any who want to are welcome to as long as they follow the same criteria.  EZK, GP, and I will do our best to keep an eye on things and intervene if things get out of hand.

Andrew Eisen

68. Andrew Eisen says:

Hey, I totally understand where you’re coming from.  But again, check out all of the earlier Brandon articles.  The ones prior to the report of his death were chockfull of genuine hope that the lad would turn out to be okay and the ones afterwards where filled with genuine offers of condolences.

That said, there were a good number of repugnant posts as well.  But those posts are representative of the individuals who posted them, not gamers as a whole.

"Yes but would it have been the same if they decided to sue, or make a bigger issue out of gaming addiction."

To directly answer your question, I’m positive we would have seen a mix of posts.  Some understanding of where the Crisps were coming from (in this hypothetical situation), some pissy that their hobby is being attacked again, and some whose feelings lie somewhere in between.

Andrew Eisen

69. Amen4u says:

I didn’t want to have the last word, but I also don’t want the last thing read was some bimbo calling me a bitch either, get my point….

70. Amen4u says:

Now I know exactely why the Crisp family do not want their son’s name to remebered as a gamer….

AE:  Going to clip the thread here.  I understand where you’re coming from but not all gamers are as disreputable as you seem to think.  Are some?  Of course; every group has its assholes.  But check out the comments time stamped 7p and earlier.  The vast majority of them are from gamers offering their heartfelt condolences for the Crisp’s loss and kind words of encouragement towards the foundation.

Also, check out the Gamers Doing Good articles for even more examples.

71. d.vel.oper says:

It’s quite inapproriate, hence why it was left. Like Andrew said, he’s attempting to make it clear why the thread was pruned. You don’t ALWAYS have to have the last word, ma’am.

72. d.vel.oper says:

You’re a gamer, you’re a part of the conspiracy. Blah blah blah.

Seriously though, good job Andy (do you take issue with that moniker), I’m sick of Brandon’s memory getting fouled up by those who purport to be ‘on his side’.

AE: If I told you some of the nicknames my sister has for me I’d have to ban myself!

So yeah, "Andy" is fine.

73. Zevorick says:

No, I was referring to myself. I should have said AS someone who is going into the helping profession, but it’s a wee bit past my bedtime, so I’ll let that be my excuse for my typo. Some of us have to be up for work tomorrow morning 😉 I’ll just leave my post unedited because it shows just how blatantly you are grasping at straws.

74. gamadaya says:

Case in fucking point. Will you just stop already! I don’t care if it was inappropriate!

Andrew, I don’t usually like telling people what to do if it doesn’t directly affect me, but compare the comments before Amen4u entered the discussion to the ones afterwards. Not to hard to identify the source of the problem here, is it?

———————————

Internet troll > internet paladin

75. gamadaya says:

Shit like this always happens with stories like these. People will be talking about it normally for a while, some people will crack an innapropriate joke or 2 (which I’m ok with, it’s the freaking internet after all), and then in comes the paly to ruin the thread for everyone. In any case, there’s not to much to discuss. It was an appropriate move by the parents, and I’m thankful that they didn’t try to direct misguided rage against the gaming community. They could have really fucked us over in the news, but they decided to harness the media attention the death of their son got them and do something productive to help other people. It’s an example that more should follow.

———————————

Internet troll > internet paladin

76. Andrew Eisen says:

True, but it was off topic.  Still, if I had the ability to clip out the middle portion of a thread I would have left that bit in.

Andrew Eisen