Gamers Should Not Be Leery of Obama, Says Game Writer

November 13, 2008 -

Earlier this week GamePolitics covered a New York Times story which reported that some gamers were leery of how Barack Obama's presidency might affect their pastime.

Writing for fidgit, longtime game journo Tom Chick (left) takes issue with the NYT (okay by me), but takes a cheap shot at GamePolitics in the process (hey, Tom Chick, don't shoot the messenger):

You know it's been a slow news day at the New York Times when they assemble a couple of scant details about the appearance of videogames in the Presidential campaign under the headline "Some Video Gamers Leery of Obama's Views"...

In addition to citing the inveterate cryers of "Wolf!" over at GamePolitics.com, they base their story on a user comment on 1up.com... Could this be because the post makes more sense than either the New York Times story or the 1up story it's commenting on?

As a scholar and college teacher [who] writes about games, I don't see this as any kind of whipping post that's part of Obama's policy building... The only way games will come up as a major part of any presidency anytime soon is just as it has in the past: when it's a convenient scapegoat.

However, videogames are already a factor in Obama's presidency. Like Bill Clinton before him, Barack Obama is in touch with a whole new generation of voters, and therefore American culture... While Barack Obama may not be as big a dork as us videogame players, he deserves credit for being aware that we're out here. We should be glad, not leery.

GP: Inveterate cryers of "Wolf!"???

Comments

Re: Gamers Should Not Be Leery of Obama, Says Game Writer

Is it ok to be leery of all of these stories coming out with the word leery? Can we use 'worried' or some other syn, symon, another word that means the same thing?

Either way, I'm taking a wait and see attitude. Also, I can't wait for this to turn into another East side West side political rumble.

Re: Gamers Should Not Be Leery of Obama, Says Game Writer

He's right, isn't he? =)

Re: Gamers Should Not Be Leery of Obama, Says Game Writer

That's what I thought as I read the quote.

Get a little perspective people! We've got an economy that's in the tank, a stock market that's just barely over half of what it was a year ago, a health care crisis, rising unemployment, and you're worried about whether the President of the United States is going to focus on video games? If things keep going the way they are you might not have to worry much longer, because you won't be able to afford a TV, game console, or the electricity to run them.

Re: Gamers Should Not Be Leery of Obama, Says Game Writer

I think I hear a wolf....

Poll

Which Feminist Frequency video are you looking forward to most?:

PHX Corphttp://www.tssznews.com/2015/01/30/former-sega-of-america-employees-voice-mistreatment-greed-racism/ there is alot of problems with sega but this is new01/30/2015 - 9:33am
ZippyDSMleehttp://www.speedtest.net/my-result/410086446201/29/2015 - 9:12pm