Bill O’Reilly Whines About Heidi Klum’s Guitar Hero Commercial

On Fox News program The O’Reilly Factor, pundit Bill O’Reilly tries to drag Heidi Klum’s Guitar Hero commercial into the culture wars, but even his two conservative female guests don’t want to go there.

At issue is Heidi’s Risky Business-inspired Guitar Hero shredding routine. O’Reilly is apparently concerned about the the moral effects of the commercial, featuring a lingerie-clad Klum, airing in prime time.

Then again, O’Reilly has never been much of a fan of video games. Or iPods. Or Blackberries. But Mr. Morality does enjoy a good loofa.

GP: Thanks to GP jack-of-all-trades Andrew Eisen for the sharp eyes…

trex1993 says:

For what it’s worth, this exact commercial HAS been aired in the US.  I saw it a couple of weeks ago Saturday during a college football game…couldn’t tell you the channel, but it was definitely the shirtless version.  I liked it MUCH more than Michael Phelps and company…

Quarantine says:

Yeah that commercial was annoying. And the women’s comments on the commerical were pretty dumb as well.

"Because this town is under the stranglehold of a few tight eyed Tree Huggers who would rather play Hacky Sack than lock up the homeless" — Birch Barlow

Father Time says:

Holy crap the commercial suddenly makes sense now (at least the one where she doesn’t take off her shirt). If you think it’s inappropriate look up the music video for the song playing in the background. Strange that Fox never mentioned this, you’d think a news channel would pick that up.

"What for you bury me in the cold cold ground?" – Tasmanian devil

Spartan says:

How could normal red blooded American straight man find anything wrong with that commercial? He must have latent homosexual tendencies or is a pinko commie spy or is secretly working for some organized religious zealots sect posing as a real man.  I have no fear however since I’m a libertarian cultural warrior and I say "kaboooom!" to all the fundamentalists.

"The most difficult pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much and power over little" – Herodotus

Father Time says:

Why wouldn’t you answer my last question?

Who’s worse feminists or the ACLU?

If you were a superhero what would you call yourself?

"What for you bury me in the cold cold ground?" – Tasmanian devil

JoeCB1991 says:

As a guy I can say that that Commercial was just ******* stupid, and her boob wiggle/kicking was just too annoying. Klum is hot but that Commercial was just appealing to the idiots who think "mmmm boobies….. must get Guitar Hero….".

And Papa Bear even said that he wasn’t offended by it, but he wanted to see what they thought. Even though he did not mention that that was the Directors Cut of the Comercial… And I think that GP is overreacting to this video.

Doomsong says:

I agree with the "Old" part… but I’m with everyone else when they question the "Man" part.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" – Benjamin Franklin

JustChris says:

An episode in The Simpsons explained the dichotomy between the entertainment sector and the news sector of Fox. But I forgot what was said. Anyone care to bring it in?

MrKlorox says:

I think his only comments were, "…Nintendo is much more than that. Nintendo is… well, almost the most fun a kid could have." And, "All this is beyond me. I had trouble with Lincoln Logs. Remember Lincoln Logs? I mean that was it for me."

MrKlorox says:

If there’s one move I don’t find enticing, it’s the breastbone wiggle move that occurs too many times in this commercial. It just looks dumb if you ask me.

Other than that, Bill is an O’ld man. People that take him seriously are even more out of touch than myself.

JustChris says:

He wasn’t always against the video game market. Dig the trenches of YouTube and you’ll see a younger O’Reilly reporting on the "Mario Craze" of the 80’s, in a very neutral, balanced manner. When you start to hate something due to more publicity, you can call yourself a tool. All talking heads in the media are.

Bennett Beeny says:

"I’m also mightily annoyed by people who feel the need to give their children five-part names. "

Me too.  Six is the minimum.  My daughter has six names.

hayabusa75 says:

Don’t get me started on Hugh.  My girlfriend’s been hooked on "Girls Next Door" since it started.  Those brainless twits make my stomach turn.

"There is no sin except stupidity." – Oscar Wilde

Father Time says:

What makes better pets, penguins or polar bears?

"What for you bury me in the cold cold ground?" – Tasmanian devil

Wolvenmoon says:

Okay, seriously guys. Don’t be surprised at anything on fox. They’re the ones that air the simpsons, family guy, originally had futurama, and king of the hill (though the last is psuedo-conservative).

Of course, FG is the worst out of all those, at least now.

Anyway, the point is commercials should hit v-chips too, or the show should be rated at the highest (worst) rating shown during its airtime, including commercials. I.E. G rated show has ‘suggestive’ commercial like one of the axe commercials, it gets rated up for the commercial for that broadcast.

Of course, filtering commercials makes TV stations sad. Ha. XD

Father Time says:

I was insulted by it too. Did they add sex and drugs to guitar hero or is still mainly rock oand roll? I wouldn’t expect hard rock cafe to try to use sex to sell itself I’d expect it to use rock and roll (and food).

I really like the song playing in the background and then they use that woman in the foreground as if that’s what I really want out of video games and that’s just insulting. I would’ve loved to see like a rock concert in the living room or something like that, but noooooooo.

Hugh Heffner once said that sex sells. He’s right but I think he forgot to add that there’s a limit on how much you can abuse that principle.

I’m reminded of the burger king ads, and it just occured to me that have those ads not become controversy I would’ve forgotten about them by now.

"What for you bury me in the cold cold ground?" – Tasmanian devil

hayabusa75 says:

I don’t like the commercial either, but not for the same reasons that Bill does.  Guitar Hero is a great game, one of the best series ever made, and it doesn’t need heavy-handed sex to help sell itself.  The whole thing is cheapened as a result, and I found the commercial to be somewhat insulting.

Then again, maybe I’m just channeling my hatred of that no-talent scrubwad she calls a husband.  I’d rather listen to my toilet back up than his music.  I’m also mightily annoyed by people who feel the need to give their children five-part names. (end rant)

"There is no sin except stupidity." – Oscar Wilde

Father Time says:

I’ve never seen that commercial. I’ve only seen the one where she wears a white jacket and no pants (no you can’t see lingerie in it).

Personally I think it’s a dumb commercial buut that’s just me.

Seeing O’Reily shred on guitar hero would make my day though.

"What for you bury me in the cold cold ground?" – Tasmanian devil

the1jeffy says:

OK, but she’s definitely not even superficially pretending to play the game in the commercial.

So you are left with the impression that there must be some other reason she’s in the commerial right?  Unless you can figure on another reason besides HAWTness, I am left with the idea of the commercial being a terrible throwback to the idea the video games are for sexually frustrated juvenille men.  Which is patently false in the case of social, appealing to a gender diverse demographic, game(s) like GH/RB.

~~All Knowledge is Worth Having~~

Conejo says:

actually, i’ve seen a larger demographic split between the Rock Band set and the Guitar Hero set.  GH is aimed at a younger audience than RB is in general.

Guitar Hero (until WT) has been more about selfishness and competition.  Rock Band is about cooperation (everyone must succeed in order for you to win).  both have had a different set of music, RB being more inclusive to a wider audience than GH which focuses on heavy guitar thrashing.

Here are we — and yonder yawns the universe.

Cecil475 says:

According to the interview she plays it. and its a commerical. She followed a script. I didn’t expect her to be ‘actually’ playing it.

– Warren Lewis

the1jeffy says:

I hate that commercial.  She doesn’t even pretend to play the game.  She just wiggles around looking good (fingers off the colored fret-buttons).  All hot, NO substance.  No thanks.

Trying to use that ad to sell the game is just selling to an outdated demographic idea.  Games like Rock Band/ Guitar Hero show a much wider appeal (and gender diverse to boot) than that commecrial gives credit to.  Kind of a throwback to the idea that video games are for juvenille, sexually repressed guys.

But instead of that valid piece of criticism, the sexually repressed moralist Right Wingnut King (you know, the type that lost the GOP the election), goes after some skin as the problem.

~~All Knowledge is Worth Having~~

Zero Beat says:

Eva Longoria’s slow-motion jiggletastic run they use to advertise Desparate Housewives any time after 5 p.m. CST is 10 times raunchier than this.

Also, I applaud those women.  More offended by primetime violent TV is something we’ve been saying for years now.  Saying the game is for teenage boys and young men is a good start to getting out of this "games are for kids" slump.

In the end, I think Bill O’Reilly is using this as an excuse to storm Heidi Klum’s house.

Papa Shango says:

Honestly I think they did it so that people would realize who it was incase they couldn’t recognize him. Or maybe Tony Hawk is such a crazy guitar hero drummer he needs to keep his helmet on.

MightyGUEST says:

So, he’s horribly offended by ths commercial, llike he said, "because he’s a guy." But he’s got no problem harrassing a lady who wants nothing to do with him.

jccalhoun says:

I never saw that version.  I only saw the version where she keeps her shirt on.

Regardless, if it did come on I would have the same reaction to that version as I did the other version and the one with the male athletes: "Wow, what a lame commercial."  Who is this commercial supposed to appeal to 40+ year olds?  I’m 35 and Bob Segar and Risky Business seem ancient to me.  And why the heck is Tony Hawk wearing a helmet in that commercial?  He just looks like an idiot.

Vake Xeacons says:

I just had to laugh! Not at Bill O’Reilly, but at the commercial.

Is it for Guitar Hero or Victoria Secret? It shows almost no footage from the actual game, plays one song, and she’s not even playing it properly! Sex does sell…

I think Bill is right on ONE account though: Heidi needs to cut back on the caffeine! LOL!

doewnskitty says:

The thing that surprises me is that in this case, it’s a male (well, I’m loathe to refer to O’Reilly as a man, but apparently his gender is male, so I’ll go with that) whining about it, and the women aren’t.

Usually, guys would be complaining that it doesn’t happen often enough, while some shrew will be whining about how it exploits women (nevermind the fact that sexual exploitation goes both ways and is never necessarily a forced condition, given the choices of clothing some make to wear).

Is it just opposite day?

Flamespeak says:

Oh my god!  A woman appears in lingerie in a commercial!  What will happen next?!

Good thing he has never seen the victoria secrets commercials that happen all the time during prime time.

Doomsong says:

I don’t know… I murdered the cube pretty darn quick (of course I cried for several hours later)

Abadox50 says:

Yes and faster than any test subject on record.

On topic, was anyone else reminded of Bill Hicks’ "Drink Coke" bit after reading this?

— "Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?" -Andrew Ryan

Father Time says:

If that site didn’t get all preachy it would’ve been made of win.

"What for you bury me in the cold cold ground?" – Tasmanian devil

sheppy says:

He’d get bored reporting about EVERY DAMN ERO GAME EVA 14 times a day for that.  Of course he could post the rumors he got from a disgarded napkin picked up outside a wendy’s Blizzard employees have been known to frequent.  Sounds about on par with Kotaku’s news integrity.

Wall of Text Simulation- Insert coin to continue.

Baruch_S says:

I think Brokenscope is right. I’ve never seen the full commercial on during primetime. In fact, I doubt you’d see any Guitar Hero commercial on a family-oriented channel during primetime.

And the only thing that would have made this incident better would be if they showed a Guitar Hero commercial during the next break.

Brokenscope says:

Thats not the one they are showing on prime time TV.

The one they show during primetime, she never removes the shirt.

That is the one they are showing late at night around 11 pm.

Nekowolf says:

HEY! This is the no-spin zone! If they went on to mention there were two ads, well, they consider that a spin! And there’s no spins in the O’Reilly Factor! Everything he says, yells, slams out on his desk in Morse Code as he belittles the victim liberal meatbag, tearing into any of those anti-American bastards like the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog, is absolutely, one-hundred percent, unquestionably true. He is the only unbiased media dog in the US, everyone else is too liberally biased, even Fox News.

requieminadream says:

You’d think being in TV they’d understand demographics. That’s why you never see commercials for Barbie’s Dream Home while watching Heroes on NBC late-night, why you never see video game commercials on HGTV, and why you won’t see that ad before 11pm on network TV. They filmed two versions of that, but of course they won’t mention that on The O’Reily Factor.

Demontestament says:

Anyone who bitches about seeing Hedi Klum in lingerie has no right to call themself a man.

I find it funny that the one lady asks him if he every played guitar hero and he responds with "I don’t even know what it is".