Henry Jenkins is Going Hollywood

Every gamer’s favorite academic, Dr. Henry Jenkins of M.I.T., is heading to Hollywood.

In a recent post on his blog, Jenkins writes that he will be moving on to the University of Southern California. A combination of new opportunities and old-fashioned burnout seems to be driving the change:

Even Green Lantern needs to recharge his ring now and again. When I began this process, I had the body of a 37 year old. I woke up one morning and discovered that aliens has swapped it out for the body of a 50 year old. We had enjoyed dramatic expansion over the past few years, but with it has come dramatic increases in my responsibilities, until I reached a point where it was not humanly possible to continue to work at the pace I have been working…

USC offered me a truly interdisciplinary position, one which straddles the Communications and Cinema Schools… USC is already doing exciting work along many of the axises which has defined my own research interests — media literacy, civic media, games, creative industries, and fan culture/audience research… And it’s hard for anyone who works on media to resist the attractions of being so close to the heart of the American entertainment industry.

GP: Henry Jenkins is so cool/influential that he’s just been awarded his own category tag here at GamePolitics.

GoodRobotUs says:

As I said before, monkey does tricks for peanuts, sometimes it’s just too tempting :)

Personally, I think the moment Thompson posts, his post, regardless of content, should be deleted and the Screen Name banned. He’s been told enough times that his presence here is neither welcome nor wanted, he cannot behave like an adult when he is here, one worthwhile post out of mountains of complete drivel most certainly wouldn’t be enough for a ban to be overlooked for any other member, so I’d say stamp on him, that way he can’t derail the topic again.

Solipsis says:

Good luck to Dr Jenkins, it sounds like a really great position. Hopefully he’ll be able to advance his research productively there, and maybe even have a positive effect on public opinion.

Shadow D. Darkman says:

I give it to Tuesday. Perfect gift to celebrate the release of CTDS.

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

Arell says:

I wonder when people who obviously know he’s flame-baiting, are going to actually stop taking the bait.  Seriously, we made almost this entire discussion about Thompson.  When people aren’t yapping back at him, they’re making a very vocal and public attempt to let everyone know that they are "ignoring him."  If you have to type it out, then it’s the opposite of "ignore."

Here’s my pledge.  I’m not going to comment, reply, or even acknowledge any more posts about Thompson, unless the main article is actually about him, anymore.  I’d ask others to join me in this pledge, but many of you enjoy the heat of the "flames" too much to quit.

Shadow D. Darkman says:

My money’s somewhere on the next few days.

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

GoodRobotUs says:

So when is the latest incarnation of Thompson going to be banned for flame-baiting, as well as repeated violations of the Terms of Membership he agreed to when he joined?

DavCube says:

Oh, nice, asessing video games as nothing more than ‘perversion.’ Nice. That’s SURE to win you over. That was sarcasm, by the way. I’m telling you since you can dish it, but never ever seem to TAKE it.

Another thing, you’re not really clever by quoting a recent song to sound ‘hip’ and ‘in it.’ When old people (sorry, you ARE old. And senile beyond belief.) try to be ‘hip,’ nobody likes them. Especially not your family.

michelleobamarama says:

It’s long past time for Henry to go to the left coast with all the other leftwing kooks. He’ll fit right in. He can also wax ecstatic at the DOD’s Institute for Creative Technologies where he can make Dr. Strangelove seem downright normal.  Good move, Hank.  If the academic effort to make perversion seem normal is cool, then you’re cooler than cool.  You’re ice cold.  Out, Jack Thompson

Shadow D. Darkman says:

"A suggestion you’ve made many times over now.  That’s enough."

Thanks, Andrew. He was getting annoying.

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

A-wel Cruiz says:

I’d advise you stop giving orders to people you disagree with. I’m not ordering anyone to do anything, only making suggestions.

AE: A suggestion you’ve made many times over now.  That’s enough.

*Jack Thompson loves it when people argue with him. He whacks off to it! DON’T FEED THE TROLL!*

Paul T. Farinelli says:

Jack, I find it funny that you say Jenkins defends "perversions". Only a pathetically out of touch person would actually have the audacity to say videogames are any sort of "perversion". I couldn’t help but laugh out loud when I saw that. Of course, you wouldn’t understand that point of view at all, because for you labeling an activity that a majority of people around the world participate in (videogames) a perversion is completely reasonable. And that is part of the reason why you are no longer employed, while Jenkins remains so as his reward for being a reasonably sane human being.

Oh wait, you’re not really unemployed, are you Jack? You crafted a single poorly written, uninteresting article for a conservative website. My bad.

Shadow D. Darkman says:

"Ignore Jack"

Just with those two words you have thrown yourself in with A-wel (see further up). I advise you to keep such advice to yourself.

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

Verbinator says:

Ignore Jack, it looks like he’s not taking his medications again. He really is "out."  Though to be honest, both coasts in this country are pretty much "left" ones.

Shadow D. Darkman says:

I only agree with the second sentence. The first I consider personal opinion that you should keep to yourself. The third is a piece of BS that I advise you to keep to yourself lest you eventually feel the BanHammer.

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

Andrew Eisen says:

Thompson never had any power in the first place.  Or at least he never had the competence to successfully wield any power he may have once had.

But that’s beside the point.  I want to know what the hell he’s talking about.  So I asked.  I admit it’s unlikely I’ll get a satisfying reply out of the man but you never know.

Andrew Eisen

A-wel Cruiz says:

That will never happen. He is incapible of civil discource. He’s getting off on us yelling him.

A-wel Cruiz says:

See my sig, Andrew. Pay him no mind. He has no power anymore.