Sudden Death For CGS Game League (and we don’t mean overtime)

Direct TV has deep-sixed its Championship Gaming Series professional gaming league, according to the Hollywood Examiner.

An announcement on the CGS website calls the league "an idea whose time came too early" and laments that "profitability was too far in the future for us to sustain operations in the interim."

The Examiner notes:

The CGS, was founded in 2007… and was sponsored by major brands in gaming and mainstream like Moutain Dew, Fatality gaming gear, Alienware and Xbox 360.

The league launched its first season with six franchises in six major cities in the United States including Los Angeles, New York, Dallas, San Fransico, Chicago and Carolina. In 2008, they launched new franchises in major international markets like Berlin, Spain, England and Mexico…

CGS was also the only league with international television coverage where the players where able to get more then bragging rights, but was also paid a salary like professional athletes.

Quarantine says:

Your opinion reminds of people enjoying Beyonce’s music. However, I do think the display of the person playing the game is played out. I would rather see what’s going on in the game, than to look at the gamer’s game face. Commentators make it more enjoyable. But all of this depends on the game.  First Person Shooters are probably the most fun to watch, because who wants to watch people duke it out in Guitar Hero? I sure as hell don’t.

"Because this town is under the stranglehold of a few tight eyed Tree Huggers who would rather play Hacky Sack than lock up the homeless" — Birch Barlow

Keith K says:

Good riddens to bad posers.

The last thing I wanted to see was the eventual prostitution of gaming in the same fashion as professional sports. At least in the case of professional sports we get to see highly overpaid people performing feats of athleticism I myself cannot perform without risking serious injury.

How could we live with ourselves allowing people to earn a living sitting on their asses playing video games for OTHER peoples amusement? It’s like women’s tennis without the women playing tennis.. i.e. Women’s Golf.

wrench says:

Sorry I just never saw the point in televised video game competitions. Frankly never considered some guy with too much time an athelete and think the term cyber athelete to be a oxymoron. I’m a hardcore gamer at heart. Just fail to see a market for it anywhere except maybe Japan and Korea.

locopuyo says:

The reason this didn’t work out is because it sucked.  I’m a hardcore gamer and this is something I would want to watch, but they did a horrible job with it.  It isn’t going to get anywhere if it doesn’t appeal to even gamers.

First problem is they don’t even show the whole f’ing games.  They randomly jump back and forth between crap.  I don’t even think they use real "pro" settings for the counter-strike matches.  They spend way more time focusing on stupid crap that no one cares about.

And what is this DOA Male and DOA Female seperate leagues?  It really is pathetic.

Just get a good announcer and do one league with one game.  I wake up at 3 AM every sunday to watch StarCraft broadcasted live from South Korea with an English announcer on  I don’t even play Halo anymore but I would watch Halo 3 matches on TV if they had good announcers and the likes.  It isn’t that hard to make exciting.  There are millions of people that play games, and it is very possible to make it as exciting as something like football, even for people that don’t play.

DeepThorn says:

Yeah, they should have put less money in flashy production and more into ADVERTISING!!!  People dont know about your stuff unless you tell them about it idiots.

It is like GM’s Electric Vehicle, they never advertised it, and the advertisements they did do were WAY off of their target audience, they didnt even advertise to their normal target audience.  Now they have statistics that say people dont want electric vehicles, even though I know at least 500 people that do.  So what is the logic behind them not pushing for the electric vehicles from before?  I suspect that they get paid by the oil companies every year, especially since fuel efficiency has not went up in what? 20-30 years?  GM will say that the car had "dangerous recalls" which none of the test consumers experienced at all.  Then they throw out the Chevy Volt that gets 40 miles per charge when the EV1 got 160 on a charge with a lead acid battery, when new battery technology would put them over 300 miles a charge.

My point is, someone doesn’t know how to do their job, or someone purposely screwed this thing over.  They need to do their show online only, lower their budget, and go from there.  If they don’t have to depend on other people so much, they will be able to have higher chances of success.  For God’s sake though, ADVERTISE!!!

I remember seeing that logo once, but dont remember hearing anything about it.  I accidentally came across it one day on TV even.   It is a good show, though too flashy in a cheesy way.  Lower production cost, go to where your target audience is, and then you will be golden.

Nido Web Flash Tutorials AS2 and AS3 Tutorials for anyone interested.
    How to set Xbox 360 Parental Controls

beemoh says:

This is a bit of a shame, for all its over-flashy production, the CGS was surprisingly enjoyable if you didn’t take it too seriously.

Still, considering that Birmingham won the last one, a British team gets to be champions FOREVER. Suck that, everyone who won more medals than us at the Olympics.