“Series of Tubes” Senator (and crook) Ted Stevens Concedes Election

Following more than two weeks of counting ballots, Ted Stevens, the 85-year-old Republican Senator from Alaska, has conceded the Nov. 4th election to Democrat Mark Begich.

The Seattle Times reports that Stevens’ concession came by way of a written statement issued yesterday.

Among gamers, Stevens is best known for a rambling 2006 attempt to describe the Internet in which he referred to it as "a series of tubes." He was lampooned over the remarks in a Mario-like video (left).

When Democrat Mark Warner made an appearance in Second Life later that year, one SL resident showed up in a tube-like avatar (left) intended to mock Stevens.

Stevens was recently convicted of corruption charges by federal prosecutors.

Ratfunk says:

Being a Republican that lives in Alaska, I would have it said that all these charges against him are completly bull.

Most people read that he was found guilty, and that is it, they know everything about the case. If you had been following it like us in Alaska, you would know how ridiculous these charges are.

Some of the alleged money that he didn’t disclose was about a dog. A WORTHLESS sled dog that someone bought at an charity auction for $1000. The person then gave it to Stevens. He then gave it away, however, the prosecution claimed it was a $1000 gift. Their case is full of this thin evidence.

Most telling is that the prosecution witheld evidence from the defence and the court. Evidence that basically exonorated Stevens from all of his charges. The prosecution broke the law to convict a "criminal".

So, honestly, before you all start jumping down on Alaska and Stevens, get some more information. We all hate it when people blame Video Games for horrible stuff without looking at all the evidence, why turn around and do the exact same thing?

Father Time says:

How do yout think the Dems must feel knowing they associate with Hillary Clinton.

"What for you bury me in the cold cold ground?" – Tasmanian devil

achilles says:

Good?  He is a senator.  The two don’t mix.

I can only assume you mean "good" as in that is the party’s propaganda indoctrination that took.  Of course Republicans are no different.  We have a government "by the people for the people" run by two parties with a vested interest in self preservation of their party and maintaining control with an iron fist.  But what the Hell am I thinking… there couldn’t possibly be any conflict of interest there.

Bennett Beeny says:

Yeah, Robert Byrd is a crazy coot on the side of good.  He’s like Henry Gonzales – another good crazy old coot we lost recently.

But what the senate really needs is crazy old coots who serve evil.  I mean with a President Elect who seems quite normal and with no barking mad lunatics left in the senate, The Daily Show is running out of good material.

Hopefully, Krono is right and we’ll get some middle-aged maniacs growing into coot-hood.  I’ve got my eye on a couple of senators – I’m looking at you, Chuck Hegel.

TaoJeannes says:

There’s little good to say about Stevens, but every time someone mocks him for the "series of tubes" statement, they are making themselves the fools, not Stevens.

It was a metaphor, dumbasses. And that goes double for you, dumbass Jon Stewart.

Alex says:

Best things to come from the "series of tube" gag:

1. "Series of Tubes" T-shirt featuring a bunch of Mario pipes

2. This song – http://tubesdance.ytmnd.com/

I’m not under the affluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I am. I’m not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don’t know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the longer I get.

shady8x says:

Clinton did the same…

If Bush doesn’t pardon a lot of bad guys it would be wierd…

Though since Bush has decided to be a socialist in the last half a year in office maybe he will decide to become a decent human being in the last few months and let Ted rot…

Conejo says:

what saddens me more is you know Bush is going to pardon this sorry sack of shit along with all of his other cronies who broke the law on his behalf.

Here are we — and yonder yawns the universe.

Attack_Gypsy says:

We stil have Sen. Robert Byrd, (D-WV).

The man is 91 years old, and still serving. He hasn’t had any serious challenge to his seat since 1982. He’s won 9 straight terms in the House and the Senate. Unbroken terms. Over 18,000 votes. He’s the President pro tempore of the 107th Sessions, as he was the 105th, 103rd, 101st. He’s been Majority Leader and Whip repeatedly.

I watched CSPAN one day when he was speaking. It was a small issue, I don’t remember what it was. But I never saw a man speak so eloquently, so passionately, and yet so simply, as him. I gain alot of respect for him that day. He’s overcome the mistakes he made in his youth to become one of the most respected people in the country.

~The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Krono says:

Unfortunately getting replacement barking mad old coots is a slow process. It takes a while for the fresh barking mad to properly age into old coots.

Bennett Beeny says:

A sad day for America.  First we lost Strom Thurmond, now Ted Stevens.  Now we only have mildly crazy old coot senators left, like Joe Lieberman and Robert Byrd.  We need a new influx of barking mad old coots, and we need to seek them out in places that breed crazy, like Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana.

Geoff says:

It’s not a building.  It’s a series of cubes.

Have fun, Senator.

Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cook-book! Little Red Cook-book!

Michael Chandra says:

We won’t surrender, until the end! Truthful pretender! Won’t someone hear the battle-cry-y-y?

Byebye Stevens. =) (Already knew, already had commented about it in the Shoutbox, but damn, it still feels good.)