Addiction Specialist: 90% of Compulsive Gamers Are Not Addicts

The recent, high-profile Brandon Crisp tragedy once again brought the debate over video game dependency to the forefront. But, does obsessive video game play necessarily equal addiction?

Not according to Keith Bakker (left), the founder of the Smith & Jones Centre in Amsterdam, Europe’s first and only clinic to treat game addiction. After running Smith & Jones for two years, Bakker has concluded that compulsive gaming is a social problem, not a psychological one.

Bakker told the BBC

These kids come in showing some kind of symptoms that are similar to other addictions and chemical dependencies.  But the more we work with these kids the less I believe we can call this addiction. What many of these kids need is their parents and their school teachers – this is a social problem.

Eighty per cent of the young people we see have been bullied at school and feel isolated. Many of the symptoms they have can be solved by going back to good old fashioned communication…

If I continue to call gaming an addiction it takes away the element of choice these people have.  It’s a complete shift in my thinking and also a shift in the thinking of my clinic and the way it treats these people.

Bakker feels that his clinic may no longer be needed if “parents and adults in the community took more responsibility for the habits of their children.”

Via: gamesindustry.biz

-Reporting from San Diego, GamePolitics correspondent Andrew Eisen typed this story with his left hand while playing Wii Tennis with his right.

131 comments

1. Anthrax says:

Might be a little late to reply, but I wasn’t saying anything about GP posters, just that I was referring to the article and not replying to anyone above. I just didn’t want people to think I was talking about the guy who’d posted above me or something like that.

2. BravO1 says:

Can you say video games… The scapegoat to all our problems.

Rich guys in the back ground say with a snobby voice, "Here, here."

3. Arell says:

I believe I’ve been making the same mistake as the guy in the article.  I’ve been calling this behavior "addiction," but I’ve also believed most of it was based on social issues the child/person was suffering.  After reading the article, I realize that "addiction" probably isn’t the right diagnosis for obsessive gaming.

Still, there may be a few cases where it is genuine addiction.  We just can’t use the term as a blanket excuse for all obsessive gamers.

4. Shadow D. Darkman says:

I use copypasta when I do a 24-point FacePalm. Knowing the size of normal text on here helps me revert the font and size to normal.

——————————————————————————

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

5. BravO1 says:

@ Jack,

I am not going to point at you and tell you that you are a bad person for not liking video games.  You shouldn’t point at me and tell me I am a bad person for playing those games.  As the Bible reads, judge yeah not for God is the judge of you, and DON’T WORRY OF THINGS OF THIS WORLD.  I know you have your own values, but Jesus nor God would ever force you to not sin.  God gave of a free choice, not a choice to take from the free.  You said that you want to keep games that are unsuitable for children away from them, but the bible say that THE PARENTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE OWN CHILDREN.  Pride is an ugly thing.  Pride keeps us from listening.  Pride keeps us away from God.  I feel that your time spent on here harasing gamers could be spent better some place else.  IMO, THE WAY I SEE IT, VIOLENCE IN OUR NATION HAS DECREASED SINCE THE GAMING MARKET HAS BEEN GETTING BIGGER.  Did you read that report by the FBI?  Anyway, violence in people are caused more  by social, parent, and spouse problems than video games ever could.  People are screwed up in the head, but most gamers know where to take out there fustrations… VIDEO GAMES.  Video games did not cause the Nazi’s to kill those Jews.  Video games did not cause America to use slaves for monitary gain.  Video games did not cause drunk drivers to run into other drivers.  Video games did not cause tabaccoo companies to sell all those products to kids.  But video games have caused kids to stay off the street, not do drugs, not rob people, and not go crazy.  If that’s not good enough for you, what other means would you suggest kids do on the weekend when their friends are off getting high, drinking, and getting knocked up, while the "bad" kids are at home playing a video games where they are safe?

If you are not going to read this, thats your choice…  Just remember, "Thats PRIDE fucking with you… Fuck PRIDE." …Pulp Fiction

6. Shadow D. Darkman says:

That also works.

——————————————————————————

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

7. Shadow D. Darkman says:

Good luck. I don’t post over 24-point anymore. Turns out EZK doesn’t like text being over 36-point. (I use 24-point max to be safe.) In this guy’s case, though, turns out it was a mess-up in the text.

In other news, I gave him a helpful tip to correct the problem that did it this time in future.

——————————————————————————

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

8. Anthrax says:

Finally, someone with a freaking brain around here.

(In response to the article itself, not anyone above)

9. TBoneTony says:

I’d just like to say that me being interested in Videogames has had nothing to do with anything wrong in my life.

In fact it was because I love to play videogames that has made my life better.

I have become more stronger and able enough to cope though hard times even when kids were picking on me in school I have become more stronger and still communicated with people because I love videogames so much I wanted to talk about them to people who are willing to listen to what I had to say about the good things about videogames.

No matter how bad the news is, or how much politicians and certain disbarred laywers try to destroy the industry or make me sad about being a gamer, it just makes me more stronger that I have to talk about videogames in the way I feel so people in my local community would get a feeling from someone who has played videogames and so they know that there is nothing wrong with them.

I am allot more stronger now because I am a gamer, and I don’t give a stuff about what those anti-gamers say.

Besides, if you have not even played a single Videogame, then you don’t know stuff all about videogames in the first place and not suitable to even show your face on TV pretending to be a videogame expert if you have never even played a single videogame.

TBoneTony

10. BearDogg-X says:

I see that Jacky Boy’s crying like a baby again over somebody posting something about him.

Likes dishing out insults, yet can’t take it when he gets insulted back.

If he’d practice what he preached about growing up and getting a life, he wouldn’t have gotten disbarred. Cold Hard Fact.

Geaux Saints, Geaux Tigers, Geaux Hornets, Jack Thompson can geaux chase a chupacabra.

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

11. Paul T. Farinelli says:

Oh and Jack, please sue me too. I haven’t really said anything that is either libelous or which violates the policies here, but c’mon, you can just make it up! It’s not as if that’d be a new trick for you…

12. Alevan says:

I wouldn’t grounded michelleobamarama but that would be gettin’ old now.

I agree in this one. You’d have to be like, say… my ex boyfriend to be considered a true addict. I played video games a lot when I was younger, sometimes, all day but I’d still go play outside and did other neat things. Of course, the only reason why I was inside a lot was I was teased a lot too so it was video games, or have that witch trying to show off my training bra. 🙁 You can guess what I chose then.

Again, it is also the parents that got to teach their kids responsibility and watch what games they give their kids. This is what no one understands half the time. We got to teach our kids the difference between fantasy and reality. We love the fantasy, but we must always stick to what’s real.

Amy Levandoski

13. gamegod25 says:

I think that for good or ill videogames, and every other form of enertainment, are here to stay and that the world would be an even more depressing place without them.

14. Paul T. Farinelli says:

Jack, I think you’d find that the majority of people on this site would agree that playing a game all day is stupid. However, just like anything else gaming can be fine in moderation. Wouldn’t you agree? I’d assume so, as you claim to be "reasonable" and that you don’t just have a silly vendetta against the videogame industry.

15. alessandra says:

With all due respect, Keith Bakker tends to lean towards public opinion on this matter. When it is popular to call it an addiction he will (and will also claim that his extensive experience with treating addicts made him reach that opinion). Only about 8 months ago I heard him fiercely defend the opinion that it is indeed an addiction to a room full of people and now he claims otherwise. On the Dutch section of his website (I can read Dutch, otherwise I would have not found out) he still calls it an addiction (even though in the English version, the word ‘game addiction’ has been replaced by ‘compulsive gaming’).
    I think what happened to Brandon Crisp is tragic, but Keith Bakker jumping in on this subject, to me, feels like a cheap shot at getting publicity.

16. Shadow D. Darkman says:

Jack… *sigh* Just… Just shut up already. For one, you’re not a lawyer anymore, so you can’t sue anyone on your own behalf. Two, no one will sue us on your behalf as who in their right minds would want to represent YOU of all people?

——————————————————————————

Collin Griffin, A.K.A. Shadow Darkman, Sane Human Church-Goer, And Jack Has Fallen From Grace.

17. Mnementh2230 says:

Oh, please sue me too, Jack!   You’ve told me to get ahold of a lawyer for calling you a liar in the past…  but wait, you were disbarred in part because you lie!  I guess I’ve been vindicated.

Whats the matter, Jacky-boy?  Have you gone so far off the deep end that you actually believe your own (easily defeated) rhetoric?  How sad.  How predictable.

Grow up and get a life.

18. DavCube says:

I already e-mailed you a long time ago, Mr. Thompson, and if you’re looking to add people to your little list, i’ll gladly add myself to it and make the financial adjustments to travel to wherever the trial would be heald.

That is, if it isn’t simply tossed out like every other time you tried to sue this site…

David Gagnon.

19. Kincyr says:

an easy way to remove text formatting from copying stuff from the web is to paste it in Notepad and then copy what you just pasted. I do that whenever I quote news articles and the like

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

20. Eville1 says:

Dude you have no room to talk. None what so ever. Next time I see a huge facepalm I’ll copy and paste your own words as a quote.

21. alessandra says:

Keith Bakker is not a doctor, he is an ex heroin addict and former alcoholic who started a clinic for people with drugs and alcohol addictions, which in itself might have been a noble deed. However, him getting involved in what he calls game addiction feels a little bit like a publicity stunt.

PS: His views on how bad games are for kids/people have not made him particular popular within the Dutch games industry

22. Shadow D. Darkman says:

Bother’s a couple people, while I’m just saying it’s a bad idea.

And a tip. The text here is normally 11-point Verdana. For your next copypasta from text.

——————————————————————————

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

23. notgood says:

That’s what default happened when I coppied text to and from a word file for an easy spell check.  It seemed like something that wasn’t worth fixing.  Does it really bother you that the letters are slightly larger?

24. Shadow D. Darkman says:

Your screen name also describes your posting big. To be honest, I don’t see a point in posting that big.

——————————————————————————

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

25. notgood says:

So… ignoring all the stuff posted below it that is completely off topic…

I like this article.  I think it shows someone who really wanted to help kids, came into it with a perception that gaming was the problem, and then realized that wasn’t the case.  It takes a lot to admit you are wrong and it would probably be easy enough for this treatment center to just keep on doing what they had been doing.  Instead they realized that the problems these kids were having came from a different place and they admitted it and adjusted to it.  It shows a commitment to actually helping people with their problems.

Sure a lot of people here have been saying that it’s not the games but the home and the world that are causing kids problems but that doesn’t make a lot of headlines.  This doctor chose the less glamorous path that might actually make a difference for people and that’s a nice thing to hear.

EDIT: alessandra, I just read your comment, that’s a bit disturbing.  I’m going to choose to give the doctor the benefit of the doubt for now.  I guess time will tell if he’s just another media whore or if he’s actually in the business of helping people.

26. cutetei says:

What I can’t believe that THE John Bruce "Jack" Thompson actually posts on this site…? Wow… the stuff he comes out with is… like…

See? I can’t even find words to describe it either.

Hi, I’m Cutetei and this my first post (I think) about John Bruce "Jack" Thompson.

Hey Jack, can you sue the INTERNET!?

27. Mr. Stodern says:

Always good to see someone with their head screwed on straight.

(Obviously I’m not talking about Jack, who I’m done with providing attention to. He’s officially run out of new material.)

28. HilaryDuffGta says:

http://www.myspace.com/hermoinefan_420 (and boom goes the dynamite)

Wow Seriously Jack??? thats the best that you can do wiht your insults…"playing games all day is stupid"  well i’ll be damned i thought it was perfectly okay to play a Freaking game for 13 hours a day…Anyone who can game for 13 hours should be allowed to and if they wanna do that then hey more power to them….me personally if its on Lotr or guitar hero 3 on ps3 i only play for a few hours at the most…and on gta lcs and vcs i’ll only put on maybe a hour or so at the most..

Enough of this "you people are being mean to me i’m gonna sue" crap…after all Jack remember that we are just "children" to you….In Fact havent we been 10 year old "children" for what 3 years now..If anyone needs to grow up its you so maybe you should try it sometime…..

oh wait your too immature for that..My mistake

29. JustChris says:

AE, thanks again for making Jack Thompson’s posts exception-safe, whenever Jack fails to catch a serious exception in the stuff he posts.

30. Twin-Skies says:

"As to this story, it really doesn’t matter whether you call a kid who plays a video game ten hours a day addicted or not.  He’s spending way too much time playing a game, regardless of the name you give his ridiculous behavior."

So says the one who always seems to have all the time in the world to come up with all these crackpot conspiracies, vitriol, and empty threats against gamers. If I didn’t know any better, you’re the one who seems to have a compulsion to keep coming back here. Wouldn’t that merit as an…addiction?

Remember – when you point one finger at somebody, three more are pointing back at you.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

31. ZippyDSMlee says:

That was the point I was trying to make if you can unlearn the behavior fairly quickly then it might not be an addiction but if you have to be dragged away and change your  lifestyle hen perhaps you are addicted.

I is fuzzy brained mew =^^=
    (in need of a bad overhaul)

32. DavCube says:

Yes, playing a video game all day is stupid. But so is watching television. Or movies. Or fiction books. Or going to a blog filled with people you hate. Guess we need to ban all those too.

33. JDKJ says:

I could say something mean about how a Mary Kay cosmetics catalouge could provide some people with a potential antidote to the problem of dog biscuits constantly being tossed their way . . . but I won’t. Ain’t enough Mary Kay comestics in the world to solve that problem.

34. JustChris says:

Fascist Jack Thompson preaches to the choir again, thinking that we do not agree that playing games the whole day is stupid. I bet you extend this diatribe in your fascict book too.

35. NovaBlack says:

Havent you already used that weak insult?

Wow.. you have like 3 insults that you just repeat. And none of then are any good. Maybe you should get a parrot.

Id love to see how your lawsuit goes when you claim ‘the mean people in the forum called me names’, and then it turns out you are a sick SOB who would bring somebodys wife into it when she wasnt even present. Just low DisbarredGuy, very low even for you. Totally hypocritical too dont you think?

36. JDKJ says:

I’m just waiting on the day he says, "I am rubber, you are glue, bounce off me and stick on you" while putting his thumbs in his ears and wiggling his fingers.

37. hellfire7885 says:

You didn’t need to outright say it, you implied it quite clearly.

ANd you might try looking away from the elementary school playgroudn for your "insults"

38. michelleobamarama says:

Nope, never said that.  Where’d you get that, from a Mary Kay Cosmetics brochure, Zach? Jack Thompson

39. NovaBlack says:

Well at least untill he needs to make a point indicating otherwise yeah.

Then he’ll say ‘Ohh what was that noise.. it sounded like the drop of a hat’, and come out with a completely contradictory statement.

40. JDKJ says:

@Jack Thompson, who wrote:

Playing a game all day is stupid.

No more stupid than shooting yourself in the foot all day, every day, is. I’ll try and find you a referral to a clinic in the Miaim-Dade area that treats addiction to foot-shooting.

41. NovaBlack says:

WRONG AGAIN!

actually it matters massively whether you call a kid who plays a video game ten hours a day addicted or not. specifically, it matters wether the kid is medically addicted or not.  One is simply a social problem, and one requires medical treatment. One is down to an item having addicting qualities coupled with poor social skills/bad past experiences, and one is JUST poor social skills/bad past experiences. It COMPLETELY shifts how these kids should be treated.

Did you not read the article? ill quote it for you:

BAKKER: Many of the symptoms they have can be solved by going back to good old fashioned communication…

AE:In response to these observations, the clinic has altered its treatment program to help compulsive gamers develop “activity-based social and communications skills to help them rejoin society.”

as you can see, it completely affected how these kids should be treated. And its not just ‘changing its name’ its AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT THING. One is an addiction, the other is not. This shows that the majority of these so called ‘addicts’ are in fact nothing of the sort. That flies completely in the face of your claims.

Playing a game all day is stupid, and we should discourage such  behavior.

Again.. that is your opinion, not necessarily everyone elses. You dont have a right to inflict your opinion on everyone else. Besides, when somebody is not deemed old enough to be responsible for their actions, a guardian IS. That would NOT be you, but typically a parent. And their opinion trumps yours.

It leads to Brandon Crisp tragedies, which all games/all the time sites like this one make more likely.

so.. ‘sites like this’  make tragedies more likely? What? Talking about politics makes tragedies more likely? Can you please explain how that makes sense, your losing it DisbarredGuy, your lobes are fried. As for ‘games’ making tragedys like Brandon’s more likely… err do you have EVIDENCE (im not sure you know what that means)? do you have EVIDENCE that  IF NOT FOR THE GAME, Brandon would NOT have fallen accidentally from that tree? really? Again.. how does that work in DisbarredGuyLand then? It sure as heck doesnt make sense here on earth.

If saying so makes me an ambulance chaser, so be it.  It’s folks like the gamers here that are causingthe accidents.  I just clean up after them.

Right.. Firstly you need to use the past tense in your claim. You ‘cleanED’ up after gamers. You no longer have a law license remember. Past tense.

Secondly, how exactly did bringing frivolous lawsuits (NONE of which succeeded) actually ‘clean up’ anything. How does ‘using’ tragedies for your own personal gain (getting 5 mins on tv) to feed your narcissistic personality disorder ‘clean up’ anything. That claim would require you to do something of VALUE. Which you have not. You lied and spread misinformation, making the job HARDER for parents. Is that helping?

Thirdly… err ..  ‘gamers here that are causing the accidents’

Ok DisbarredGuy, pull ONE (JUST ONE) name out of your ass of any ONE person on this site who has ’caused an accident’  like this, go on. You actually used ‘gamerS’ (plural) but i bet, once again, you cant even man up enough to name ONE person on this site who has done so.  You are like a cowardly child. As soon as you are faced with the facts you run away. Wow.. what a man.

42. ZippyDSMlee says:

The trouble is you are painting with a broad brush much like the old prohibitionists did alcohol is vile, evil and creates vicious madmen yet without we destroyed local economies(those on the barder system ,those that made liqueur/beer for a living)  killed thousands that needed their daily release via bad boose that was part of the onyl alternative to get your fix and created the vile and viscous gangsters of the 20’s and 30s.

Of course we are not talking about something as simple as booze we are talking about the subtleties of media censorship through the guise of its unhealthy for you because blind moralists dislike it and can not see the forest for the trees and are immature enough to burn it down and then say oops we did not mean instate thought police, we didn’t mean to burn books, we did not mean to turn adults into wards of the state because they are not allowed to think for themselfs for everything they read is approved by the state.

I is fuzzy brained mew =^^=
    (in need of a bad overhaul)

43. hellfire7885 says:

Well, being a bully you should know how to start one.

And giving your actiosn during the Cody posey case, you are an enabler of child molestors, as well as terroroism givign your statements endorsing islamic terrorists, not ot mention the many recent cases of criminals tryign ot blame video games to try and get off easy.

Also, I do go to Gamestop and Wal Mart a lot, not once do I ever see a person sticking copies of GTA4 in people’s carts, nor have I ever seen a kid being able to buy a copy of GTA without a parent present.

And calling you an ambulance chaser is a compliment, you’re a hearse chaser.

44. GONK. says:

*** makes you a massacre chaser, Mr Jack "Too Fucking Stupid To Spell ‘Relevance’ Right" Thompson.

every thing you say, every frivolous lawsuit, death threat and confession to your ***, is more proof that youre out to make Joseph "born to rape" Fritzl look positevely noble by comparison;

***

AE:  Going a little far there.  Let’s pull it back a bit.

45. mdo7 says:

Jack,

Where did you learn to talk like a smartass? Did u forget there r drug and alcohol addiction in this world also? Anyway, stop your whining, you’ve lost and you can’t convince us.

46. Erik says:

You tried to exonerate Cody Posey’s parents who RAPED him and instead tried to put the blame on Grand Theft Auto.  You support child rapists.  So yes, you are an enabler of bullies, disreputable characters and much worse.  Though now that you are no longer a lawyer you can’t even really do that all that well.  So good luck at your new jobt [sic] as a journalis. [sic]

As far as whether a person is addicted or not.  Yet again you show you true colors in that you don’t care about people.  You see John, unless you know the cause of a problem you cannot solve the problem.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

47. Kincyr says:

Wow, I’m an enabler of bullies and unreputable [sic] characters.  That wouldn’t happen to include Strauss Zelnick of Take-Two, would it?  No, this site and posters like you enable THAT bully and that disreputable character.

I’d say the pot called the kettle black again, but this is more like the pot calling the tobacco illegal. You’re the bully, Jack. Not Take-Two Interactive, not Strauss Zelnick, but you.

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

48. Bennett Beeny says:

It seems to me that Zippy either hasn’t fully read the article or hasn’t understood it.  The specialist is saying that in his experience as an addiction specialist, 90% of game addicts aren’t addicts while 10% are.  Not sure why that would be confusing.

Is Zippy an addiction specialist?  I doubt it, yet he feels his own view is more valid than a person who has spent his entire career investigating and treating addiction.  What a very modern way of thinking – it doesn’t matter what the experts say – the gut is the only real source of what’s right.

49. Michael Chandra says:

But didn’t the BBC article include that 10% still profits from addiction-treatment? I mean:

"Using traditional abstinence-based treatment models the clinic has had very high success rates treating people who also show other addictive behaviours such as drug taking and excessive drinking.

But Mr Bakker believes that this kind of cross-addiction affects only 10% of gamers."

50. Michael Chandra says:

Hm, you’re confusing me now. With "this article", do you mean the GP article or the BBC one? If the GP, is that because Dennis should have quoted a bit more, indicating there’s also seem-really-addicted people?

51. ZippyDSMlee says:

Is shopping to blame? is grems to blame? is soap to blame? No so neither is media but the way the human mind wraps around repetitive or familiar tasks or the wayit can cling unreasonably to something(if you can’t tell I took to my time with shrinks and not brushed it off…since half the them were cheap and learning about the mind and what not interesting..plus alot of PBS..LOL)

But anyway I dislike the flat and total refusal of all game addiction this article leans to…I dislike totality in propaganda or "news" because there are generally gray areas in everything…and I haz issues >>

I is fuzzy brained mew =^^=
    (in need of a bad overhaul)

52. Michael Chandra says:

Oh there indeed are game addictions. The original article included quotes about how 10% of the people did profit from anti-addiction methods, but they also mentioned those 10% had other addictions as well, such as alcohol and drugs. So one could raise the question if there’s something at hand there in the genes or whatever. Still makes it an addiction by the way, but you could probably argue it’s still not really the medium at fault.

53. ZippyDSMlee says:

Like I said don’t confuse "can’t live without it" with "don’t want to live without it" is the key to addiction and this is coming from someone who’s been diagnosed and sought treatment for a few non drug/game based "compulsions".  I would think most "game addictions" are simply compulsions that might be trumped up alil in their daiongisis either by media or moralists but my point being there are game addictions its not been properly laid out yet like the other high end compulsions.

I is fuzzy brained mew =^^=
    (in need of a bad overhaul)

54. Adamas Draconis says:

Alas, the law does allow for self representation. But in Jackie boi’s case the old maxim holds (somewhat) true: A lawyer that represents himself has a fool for a client.

That and the judge would fine him for contempt before the first cross-examination.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

55. Erik says:

You have broken posting policies repeatedly, therefore any lawsuit against GP you would attempt would end in failure.  I wonder what a court would say about your cyberstalking of Dennis by repeatedly worming your way around bans hmmm?  Govern yourself accordingly loser.

Also, whining about someone defaming you when you have done the exact same thing to Strauss Zelnick in this thread?  I really hope now that you are no longer a lawyer that T2 chews you up and spits you out, legaly speaking that is.  Maybe then the ECA will have a go with what remains for what you have said about its employees.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

56. NovaBlack says:

The Jury will love that fact that you said all gamers should legally be put to death.

You know.. when you posted that obscenity?

Y’know.. the one that was far worse than anything anyone has ever said on here, but that you like to ignore when you want to cry that people are insulting you? *waah* give it a rest disbarredGuy, the act is getting old and rather childish.

57. Derovius says:

The numbers of times is irrelevant now, his subversion of GP’s attempts to removing him from the site demonstrates wanton harassment, perhaps even criminal stalking. Then there is uttering threats, etc.

If JBT wants to sue anyone, his legal backside will be nailed to the nearest wall 10 ways from Sunday by GP and others on this site.

58. Mr.Pat says:

Don’t forget to include that "kid" who publically destroyed your book and sent the auction proceeds to charity in that lawsuit, Jacl. Its been what, over three years since you said you were going to ruin the guy’s life with a lawsuit? When’s it going to happen? He was counting on the easy money from a counter-suit to take a vacation to Canada.

59. nelttab says:

Judge: Defandent how do you plead?

Me: Not Guilty. And i move that this lawsuit be dismissed on the basis that the prosicution(sp) is a raving lunatic that regulary make a fool of himself and anybody he associates with. That he persistantly spews hateful dogma from his mouth and that his religious crusade has nothing to do with modern day enviroments. Also i request that Jack Thompson be commited for his own mental health as he clearly has an addiction to lying, manipulating facts, distorting the truth, etc.

Judge: Lets see the procusition is … (sifts through papers) Jack Thompson?? i dismiss this case on said grounds and furthermore ban John Bruce Thompson from ever speaking ever again.

well i can wish cant i…

60. nelttab says:

you might as well as add most of the users here as defendants… i know i for one would love to be a defendant in any case you bring to bear… just because for once i would like to go head to head with you in the courtroom and watch you lose… to bad you cant call yourself a lawyer anymore… so who ya gonna use for a lawyer?

or are you just gonna represent yourself and make this thing into a sideshow

61. Zerodash says:

Does Jack Thompson actually think his threats of lawsuits scare ANYONE?  Even when he was a lawyer, he would threaten so often (and never follow through) that it became a joke.

Jack, answer my question:  Why would anyone feel threatened by you NOW given your track record?

62. Michael Chandra says:

You can call me honey, you can sue for money
    You can try again and you can pray to Heaven
    But I tell you, honey, like the sun is sunny
    Baby, I won’t take those comments down

63. Michael Chandra says:

I don’t think he has to go for the comments affecting him, he can simply go with inequal treatment and build a suit around that. I think JDKJ can actually make a rather decent case around it. Of course Jack probably will fail. Perhaps I should shut up before I give him any ideas (like hiring JDKJ to represent him in court).

64. NovaBlack says:

HAHAH you know whats funnier?

hell have to explain how he has been detrimentally affected by these comments.

And he’ll be like : "Yes your honor, every time i completely voluntarily click on favourites in my browser of my own free will, then select Gamepolitics, and Login, and find my account is banned, so create another account, wait for it to be authenticated, go onto a story, post, click refresh onmy browser for 15 minutes whilst waiting for replies, THEN, somebody insults me, its ruins my life! Theres totally nothing i can do to avoid it either! No really, its unavoidable! the only remedy is to shut the site down! Wha? what does ‘voluntarily’ mean?… it means.. uh.. i have .. no choice?.. dismissed.. wha.. wait! wait! i havent told you about the time they sang a nasty song about me, and i got it professionally recorded, and listen to it on repeat each day, i cant avoid that either!"

65. sortableturnip says:

I’m gonna sue, sue, yes, I’m gonna sue
    Sue, sue, yeah, that’s what I’m gonna do
    I’m gonna sue, sue, yes, I’m gonna sue
    Sue, sue, yeah, I might even sue you

I’ll sue ya, I’ll take all your money
    I’ll sue ya if you even look at me funny
    I’ll sue ya, I’ll take all your money
    I’ll sue ya if you even look at me funny
    I’ll sue ya, I’ll take all your money
    I’ll sue ya if you even look at me funny
    I’ll sue ya, I’ll take all your money
    I’ll sue ya if you even look at me funny

I’ll sue ya, ha-ha ha ha-ha
    I’ll sue ya, whatchy’all think of that?
    I’ll sue ya, ha-ha ha ha-ha
    Booya
    I’ll sue ya

66. Michael Chandra says:

Oh, I think I know what he’s planning. You see, HIS posts often get edited because he posts letters and such that are horribly off-topic. He also got banned for I think name-calling and harassment. So when he sees others doing what he perceives as name-calling, he automatically assumes GP just has it in for him and uses the Comments Policy only against individuals they dislike, rather than as is reasonable.

As such, GamePolitics is clearly on a war against him, trying to make him look bad in front of hundreds and thousands of people, and as such perhaps involved in criminal activity against him just like the people from Penny Arcade before, or at the least with libel and slander and such and whatever. Or something like that.

But yeah, I think he’s gonna go with "waaaaaah!!! they punish me but not others! make them pay me $42,525!"

67. NovaBlack says:

oh so you HAVE read it?

You blatently dont understand it, or have a goldfish-like memory.

Did you want some help with the big words, ace?

Perhaps we could write it in picture format for you, and give you some crayons to color it in with whilst the grown ups talk.

68. hellfire7885 says:

As I said above, the judge and everyone here could use a good laugh at your latest bird cage liner.

69. NovaBlack says:

"Dennis, my lawsuit against GamePolitics is made a whole lot easier to win "

Good, need to give you a cats chance in hell. The easier the better. The easiest case on the planet would still be an enourmous challenge to a ignoramus like yourself.

”by your posting the above obscenity and person attack despite your posting policies against both.”

Jack you do realise you are making yourself out to look like a complete idiot here dont you? Want me to go copy and paste each of the THOUSANDS of times you’ve broken the comments policy here, and the numerous times youve been banned but still return to break the policy, ususally by being insulting or posting lengthy court documents, only to get banned AGAIN, and then say ‘ I Jack Thompson, have never broken the comments policy!’.

you really want me to do it? Shhh.. thats right just be quiet and dont answer back. Id rather you coward away from facts, rather than continue to dig your hole. It gets hot at the centre of the earth.

Besides.. can you explain how somebody ELSE breaking the comments policy in ANY way means its easier to file a successful lawsuit, you dont have a clue. You dont understand how the internet works (No, its not a series of tubes). DENNIS DOESNT POST THE COMMENTS (IS THAT CLEAR ENOUGH!). They are all posted and Dennis / mods cant physically delete a comment within 1 second of it being posted, they have to check them, which takes time for human beings. Nor can they pre-validate each comment that is posted. It would be onerous beyond belief. This site operates virtually identically to 99.9% of all other internet sites out there. And there is nothing wrong with the procedures.

70. JDKJ says:

There’s a roasted turkey in Jack’s house this Thanksgiving. But, then again, there’s a roasted turkey in Jack’s house every day of the year.

71. Michael Chandra says:

I’m afraid his record on jesting isn’t that great. He ‘jested’ about the $10.000 donation, then complained people didn’t realize it wasn’t meant seriously.

I wonder if that would stand in court?

Judge: Defendant, how do you plead?
    Dennis: The defense pleads that John Bruce Thompson has a really twisted sense of humor, your honor.

72. michelleobamarama says:

You’ll be a defendant, Mr. Knight, so you’ll be one of the first to know.  Read GP’s posting rules in the meantime, ace.

73. JDKJ says:

Have I already mentioned that when Jack-O gets to hopping around on one leg, screaming "Libel!!!" and threatening to bring a lawsuit, it’s because the alleged defamer’s hit Jack’s nail on the head?

74. SeanB says:

SUE ME, SUE ME, SUE ME!!!!!

I’m willing to threaten you, slander you, make libelous claims, whatever it takes! In fact, lets pretend i already did. You just make it all up, and i’l plead guilty!

Just tell me what i need to do to be sued by the ohhh so powerfull Jack Thompson!

75. hellfire7885 says:

Dennis didn’t post those comments himself, and he has little to no control over what commenters post here

As for filing a lawsuit, go ahead, we coudl all use a good laugh right before the judge gets a new birdcage liner

And again, you hypocrisy is showing. It’s funn, you think yo ucan make an offer to donate to chairty, and then say you were joking while someone who could have used that money starves, but if anyhing is ever said about you, the person should go to federal prison.

No wonder yo uaren’t in hell ye,t not even they want ot put up with you.

76. sortableturnip says:

Are you going to be representing yourself pro se?  I bet the courts would love to see you try that one….

77. sortableturnip says:

DeepThorn and …Welcome to the "I’ve been threatened by Jack Thompson" club.

Your club ring and t-shirt are in the mail….really…..

78. E. Zachary Knight says:

Um… Dennis didn’t post it. It is not threatening nor is it obscene. It makes it clear that it is meant in jest and should not be construed as a genuine account of events in your life.

So when are you planning on filing that lawsuit?

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
    MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/okceca
    Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1325674091

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

79. michelleobamarama says:

Dennis, my lawsuit against GamePolitics is made a whole lot easier to win by your posting the above obscenity and person attack despite your posting policies against both.  Shame on you.  The jury will love it, though.

Jack Thompson

80. DeepThorn says:

Bring it on John Bruce "Jack" Thompson.  What I and Rod said is no worse than the majority of what goes around the internet about you, AND you have said far worse and made far more direct threats toward individuals on this site alone.  So come on, if you go after me and Rod for it, then we will bring in everyone you have insulted and so on, then if we are guilty, then so are you.

I am not talking about your wife, God love her for dealing with you, we were talking about you, and it is obvious that it was a joke.  Granted, given my time in the field of psychology, I would recommend the court to order you some time to be observed by a professional, because it may help your obvious need for attention.

Nido Web Flash Tutorials AS2 and AS3 Tutorials for anyone interested.
    How to set Xbox 360 Parental Controls

81. HarmlessBunny says:

Hey Jack…so you do have an attorney willing to take your case? Last I checked you are not one nor ever will be 🙂

82. DavCube says:

Says the person who thinks the comments section is his personal mailbox for his press releases…

Add me to that list, Mr. Thompson. I already asked you before.

David Gagnon, Mature Human Being, and You’re Not.

83. Attack_Gypsy says:

Ah, Jack? You have no case.

In 2003, The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that Web loggers, website operators and e-mail list editors can’t be held responsible for libel for information they republish, extending crucial First Amendment protections to do-it-yourself online publishers.This was later upheld by the Supreme Court

Link: http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/ca9/newopinions.nsf/AE0A858C82A2EA8F88256D4E007A736C/$file/0156380.pdf

The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. ~ Benjamin Franklin

84. Michael Chandra says:

Or what about:

Judge: The lawyer representing the other side is… Uh, wasn’t this guy disbarred?

85. Kincyr says:

the jury will also love the defamation of character posts you submitted as well. Shame on you, Jack

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

86. JustChris says:

Furthermore, we need to be aware that there is physical addicition (which can do direct harm to your body) and mental addiction (which only makes you react on an emotional level). While drugs and drinking can be physically addictive, most activities can only be considered mentally addictive.

Things like video games can be managed to pick up and drop without your body actually becoming physically dependant on it. Rehabilitation is required for both kinds of addictions, but they need different approaches to treatment. You will not put people with gambling problems in the same facility as heroin addicts.

87. E. Zachary Knight says:

BBC link is broken by the way.

That said, This makes total sense. 10% of their patience can be treated as addicts because they show other addictive behaviors such as drugs and drinking. The otehr 90% just had social problems that drove them to gaming and they liked the way gaming makes them feel.

Sounds about like what I was saying during the Crisp ordeal.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
    MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/okceca
    Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1325674091

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

88. Zerodash says:

Regardless, kids with social disorders need help.  Spending too much time doing anything is a bad thing.  Can parents be charged with endangerment if they fail to reign in the bad habits or address issues their kids are having?

89. nightwng2000 says:

So has Amen4U changed their ID again or did they pull up stakes?

And I wonder what ole Lizzy is burbbling about at this point.

And of course, we John Bruce has pulled up stakes and taken a trip to Egypt.

"I love it when a plan comes together."  – Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith, A-Team.

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 has also updated his MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/nightwing2000 Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as http://groups.myspace.com/pfenl

90. SeanB says:

Woah, havn’t i been saying THIS EXACT THING for a while now?

Guess i’m not an expert, even though this guys argument is exactly what i came up with.

When you call something an addiction, when it’s not, it’s just like mis-diagnosing a disease. The person gets the wrong help, and will never get over the problems that ACTUALLY EXIST.

Compulsion != Addiction

91. michelleobamarama says:

AE: Paragraph deleted.  If you’re going to complain about defamation then don’t defame others.  It lacks class.

Jack Thompson

92. ZippyDSMlee says:

Meh high level compulsions are addictions so depending on the individual it well can be an addiction, don’t confuse "can’t live without it" with "don’t want to live without it".

I is fuzzy brained mew =^^=
    (in need of a bad overhaul)

93. hellfire7885 says:

I say it again.

No shit.

Again, what all pundits and self righteous video game activists do is cover up the problems that need to be addressed, seeing to it that the people who can be helped will never be helped thus keeping this problem going, which honeslty I think is their goal now, keep this problem going so they can feeel important and ban material they deem offensive.

The PTC, Jack Thompson, all of them are just enablers giving bullies and ther unreputable characters an excuse.

*finisheshsi rant and hits the obligatory countdown clock*

94. Michael Chandra says:

I already made some bitter shouts about her and this but I don’t think she still follows GP now that there’s no coverage on Brandon anymore.

95. ZippyDSMlee says:

Yes but sports addictions is a crime agisnt humanity..and wives’s…
    Meh sports addiction is more modern slang than noted  diagnosis and I suppose so is game addiction but I would say 10-30% might have issues of cant live without it.

I is fuzzy brained mew =^^=
    (in need of a bad overhaul)

96. hellfire7885 says:

Heh, the person who first started Little League sports soon wanted nothing to do with it, at all, because of parents makign death threats at officials.

How video games are worse i;ll never know.

97. zel says:

in summary, guy gets a clue.

I can agree that game obession is more than likely escapism, especially in RPG enviroments. That, however, is not to say that most gamers/rpg players are trying to escape some kind of problem. Its funny you can spend 3 hours a day in football practice and its just a sport but you spend 3 hours a day in front of the tv playing a game and suddenly your obsessing over a game. My kid’s football games on weekend can become a 7 to 10 hour ordeal because there are like 5 or 6 weight classifications, and they have to be there early just in case their class starts on time, for weigh in and such, but the games usually run over and you end up spending all day there, so would people call the football addiction? hows is it video game addiction if the same time is spent on that? Parents break out into fights at these little league events, and i don’t here anyone calling for government regulation of little league football.

ok i got that outta my system 🙂 whew

————————————

I am a signature virus, please copy and paste me into your signature to help me propagate.

98. zel says:

I can believe that. It’s not the vast majority, but still its enough to disgust me. My kid really wants to play football though, wants to make it to the NFL and all that stuff so i support him.

————————————

99. Michael Chandra says:

You seem to mix up what people call addiction and what addiction really is. As I mentioned in the Shoutbox before, the way I get it you roughly have addictions where the product is at fault, and compulsions where the person(‘s environment) is at fault.

100. ZippyDSMlee says:

Compulsions are addictions, if shopping compulsion is an addiction and other modern day micro OCD compulsions are considered addictions then the same enthralling adcitive level of compulsion in game addiction or even net addiction is a bleeping addiction…

I is fuzzy brained mew =^^=
    (in need of a bad overhaul)

Comments are closed.