Xbox 360 Version of Black College Football Experience Compatible with Rock Band Drum Kit

Louisiana game publisher Nerjyzed Game Studios is readying the launch of an Xbox 360 version of its Black College Football Experience game, reports The Advocate. The release of BCFx will mark the first-ever publication of a console game by an African-American owned studio.

A national ad campaign for Black College Football Experience will kick off today during the Bayou Classic as Southern University and Grambling square off in their 35th gridiron tilt. BCFx debuted last year on the PC. Of today’s launch, Nerjyzed CEO Jacqueline Beauchamp commented:

We’re going to be doing a complete national rollout, and it’s going to start right here in Louisiana first. We actually have six commercial spots on NBC (during the game).

NBC will be highlighting the game during the broadcast (2 p.m. Eastern):

The network will… feature another first, the BCFx Sideline Video Game Zone… NBC will cut back and forth between the actual football game and the action in the Video Game Zone.

“The announcers will say, ‘Southern may be winning 24-10 on the football field. Let’s take a look at who’s winning in the video game,’ ” Beauchamp said.

The network has agreed to cut to the Video Game Zone twice during the broadcast but Nerjyzed is hoping for more, Beauchamp said.

In addition to its football action, of special note is BCFx’s drumline game play, which is compatible with the Rock Band drum kit for the Xbox 360. 35 tunes and 65 drum cadences are included.

GP: Unfortunately, the 2007 launch of the PC version generated unkind remarks by some in the game community. Let’s hope that the new version is received with greater tolerance. It actually sounds like a very cool mix of football and rhythm-based gameplay.

Yamacraw says:

Its amazing to me on how this day and age race is still such a big deal.  Earlier a comment was made

I don’t understand how ethnic groups can claim they want equality when games like this are allowed but anyone can imagine the holy-hell that would come if they made "White People’s Football".."

Wake up buddy (and anyone else)!  Before this game you (other races) probably could not even name 10 HBCU institutions of HIGHER learning, but the average african-american (or black if you’d like) sport fan can name all Big 10 schools.  This game is not about race or equality. It’s about football and the unique game day culture that is displayed during HBCU football game day, captured in a video game!  During football season you can turn the TV to any local or cable sport channel and see how the "big" schools do game day every weekend. Every other previous football game from games systems captured the same "big" school game day experience, but none have captured the HBCU experience…until now!  Now if you want to talk equality, this is the first and only game of this nature, let’s see how much promotion and marketing is given for its release.

So get off your soap boxes and race trains…form a love train and embrace the rich history that is, the HBCU experience!

martin says:

Assuming that the football is any good, it’s nice to see the greater gaming community get a taste of culture to which they wouldn’t normally be exposed. I generally don’t play many football games, but if I can see those big legged dancers come out at halftime

Online homeschooling

Inimical says:

I like that you brought up intent. Indeed, I think intent is a very important factor that gets missed. People often do hold a huge attribution thinking that things are meant to be racist whereas others see it as completely harmless.

Someone bumping into you can be seen as aggressive but it can also be seen as an accident. I think as a result of people’s experiences and what they know (or think they know) about racism, it has a huge effect on how things like RE5 and this game are seen. With RE5 and the game in the article, the intent is pretty ambiguous and up for interpretation.

Maybe that’s why there WOULD be a backlash against a white only game. If there was a white-only game it would be a reaction to the perceived racism of a black-only game so it’s much easier to construe it as racist. The black-only game is a reaction to the way many white people have treated and still do treat blacks so some perceive it as racist.

The only solution to this is to stop racializing everything. Race is such a ridiculous concept that has no basis other than colour of someone’s skin. There is more variation within "race" than there is outside of it.

Inimical says:

I only used that analogy because I have personally had a lot of friends tell me stories about feeling out of place in black neighbourhoods.

Hell, even I have and I’m sure I’m not the only one. It’s not right to feel that way, and often people don’t point it out or isolate you, but some people do feel uncomfortable.

ConnorM5 says:

I dont know, I think ‘Christian Football Battle!’ would make people shit a brick, too. Then again, it’s hard to explain away a Bibleman game with that reasoning.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedom

RonnieBarzel says:

"Have any white people ever gone somewhere and been the only white person there? Did you feel akward or like you stood out?"

Back in college in Houston in the early ’90s, my RA and I went to see a charity concert by the Geto Boys. We were the only two white people there, but I didn’t feel awkward. That is, I didn’t until a complete (drunken) stranger came up to me, took my hand and put it to his chest and started going, "You’re my brother."

Andrew Eisen says:

A couple of years ago I was with my mom, her husband and my sister on Christmas day.  We were in Nashville (home’s in Kentucky but we had just picked up my sister from the airport) and looking for a church to go to.

We found one that was having Christmas service and went in.  As it happened, everyone there was black except us.  It was a huge church with at least 800 people.  They had two huge monitors displaying the folks giving the sermon or lyrics to the hymns.  The service itself was incredibly enthusiastic.  Kind of like the church scene in the Blues Brothers but less gymnastics.

To answer your question, no.  We didn’t feel awkward or like we stood out.  No one pointed or made us feel out of place.  It was a nice service, very different from what we’re used to but a nice time and change of pace all the same.

Andrew Eisen

Inimical says:

That’s why these games are made. There is a very, very low proportion of blacks represented in the media in a positive light no matter how you look at it. This stuff is made based on the belief that racism is SYSTEMIC, not overt. The more you represent a group positively, the more people will see them positively, and the less "implicit" racism there will (theoretically, I don’t necessarily believe in or endorse the belief that there is such a thing as implicit racism).

These things are done based on ideas that have undergone some kind of empirical study and there is fairly good evidence for. It has nothing to do with privilege or anything like that. It’s based on the fact that there is such a thing as systemic racism and blacks bare the brunt of it (next to aboriginals… at least in Canada, the US has actually handled Native issues quite well compared to us).

The fact is that black kids have very little to relate to in the media that is positve and this is an attempt to get them into something else. I don’t see how anyone can take this as a negative thing.

jccalhoun says:

For me it wasn’t the depiction of the zombies.  It was the fact that in that original trailer — subsequent trailers have had a lot more context — it was hard to tell who was and wasn’t infected.  Had the trailer only shown zombies I would have not had the same reaction.

Regarding intention, how can you ever know what someone’s intention was?

Krono says:

I’m sure they aren’t. I’m also betting that most other places it isn’t expected to be as important as, or more so than the game itself, or otherwise it wouldn’t really be noteworthy enough to bear mentioning anywhere. I’m also betting that those other rivalries that include a battle of the bands don’t forego division playoff eligability in order to hold said games.

NovaBlack says:

but the way tht they were depicted, was correct.

The game inhabitants are a horde of african zombie/parasite infected. In a survival horror game. And they were depicted as a horde of african zombie/parasite infected. In a survival horror game.

Had it been any other ethnicity, in the exact same trailer, doing the exact same things, portrayed in teh exact same way, would there have been the same level of backlash? Im pretty sure there was barely an outcry over RE4 depicting spaniards in the same way.

The point im trying to make is that it was primarily the skin color of the game inhabitants in the trailer, that lead to people to see racism where none existed. Some extreme minority of commentators said the game promoted african genocide, commited by the white man. Ignoring the fact that a) the game was made by primarily japanese developers, b) the fact that there hve been over 7 other games in the RE series featuring all manner of ethnicities for zombies (showing that they arent at all focusing some commentry on one particular race), and c) the game was actually about killing zombies/infected not about ‘killing africans’.

I do get your point that yes, in this case, due to black history, there is perhaps an increased sensitivity over the depiction, that would be present if it were another ethnicity. However, where then does the problem lie?  As stated earlier, the majority of developers were in fact japanese. Its clear to anyone, that looking at the game objectively, that there was no malice or racist intent behind the game. My point is, that when that is clear, that is where the accusations and mudslinging should end.

If somebody wants to draw racist inferences and take offence from something, that we have objectively shown (by looking at the developers origins and intents) was not in any way intended to be racist (and the lack of any such intention surely shoudl be the most important fact), then i ask again, where does the problem, and infact the racist  lie? The developers or the offended viewer?

If we try to draw a line in the sand and say, from this day forth we shall view others as people, not races and colors (defeating the problem of racism entirely), how can that be done if the issue of racism is brought up every time race A is portrayed in a specific way, but not when races B-Z are portrayed in that same way.

Equality.. should mean equality. for everyone. Anyone who has read animal farm should know the dangers of not taking this seriously! what we are getting is a ”All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others’ kind of paradox.

Racism is not just when one race directs specific comments/views about another, it is also when a race holds specific comments/views about itself, as different to another race. That too is racism.

I think the point i was trying to make was that it seems just as counter-productive when trying to stamp out racism, to constantly point to yourself as different from others, in just the same way its wrong for you to claim another is different.

HunterD says:

The thing is, it’s not like a game that is defining itself by racial affiliation for no good reason or just to offend.

It’s not "White soldier" or "Black gangster".

It’s Historically Black Colleges because they’re all colleges that were once reffered to as "black" colleges.

It’s no different than an "Ivy League Football" game.

What would you have them call it "Universities that historically allowed students who wouldn’t be admitted by other colleges because of racial rasons, Football" is kind of long to fit on the cover.

You cannot really compare "Historically Black Colleges" to a thing that calling attention to race solely to offend or distance itself from others.

In this context using "Historically Black Colleges" is no different than saying "Christian Colleges" and having a mini-game about going to church.

If it was something else, like "Black Soldiers" or "Black businessmen" I’d agree with the "It’s advocating racial seperation, what if there was a white version?" sentiment.

But HBCs are NOT the equivilent of those, trying to make them into it is like smashing a square peg in a round hole.

Flamespeak says:

You mean they do something different than play a regulation game of football and have a big focus on the half-time show?

Cause that is what I expect out of any actual football game. It seems the only thing different in this game as opposed to NCAA is the half-time drumline game and the developer’s want to make sure that race plays an important role in title.

Flamespeak says:

Oh, I am sorry. I wasn’t aware that HBCU were the only places that offered an intense half-time show that had rivalry between bands.

wait a minute…they aren’t.

Krono says:

No it isn’t a stupid argument from the standpoint that NCAA games are descended from the football games played at Historically White Colleges and Universities. As such they generally lack the same emphasis on a halftime show battle of the bands that seems to be the main historical difference.

jccalhoun says:

No, the fact that the RE5 trailer featured black people in not the only reason why people thought that it might be racially problematic.  It was the way in which black people in that original trailer were depicted that was what made me wonder about the content of the game.  Here’s a blog post going over some of the other reasons why people were concerned about that trailer:

jccalhoun says:

I think you are perhaps missing the point of the game.  What goes on at football games at historically black colleges is a lot different than what goes on at football games in, say, the Big Ten or any of the conferences featured in NCAA Football videogames.  This game is not just NCAA Football 2009 with all the school names changed.  This is a game about what goes on at those schools that are commonly refered to as black colleges.  So what else should they call it?

NovaBlack says:

hmm i think its wrong to say that we shouldnt be allowed to comment about race here as an issue (as long as not done offensively)

Many people feel that there is a double standard. I think its because when Resident evil 5 got talked about recently its ‘oh this game features black people’ (that is the only basis to a link to ‘racism’ in RE5, the fact it simply dares to feature them, which makes perfect sense considering where the game is set.). And people get in a n uproar about it (ignoring the previous 4 resident evil games and numerous spin offs, in which a huge variety of races were zombified). Yet when a game comes out like this, its suddenly ok. I can certainly see (not saying i agree here) why people may feel confused about this issue.

I think people just feel confused about where the line lies as it constantly gets shifted. If it settled at a clear place it’d be fine, but it seems the line gets moved about so much that its hard to keep track.

As far as the ‘what if an all white game was released’ comments, i dont necessarily agree. However.. i do have to say i can see where the point comes from. At times , it seems the line is shifting around a heck of alot more for certain ethnicities, whereas for ‘white’ (or many other groups) it seems to be fairly static. I think trouble also comes from teh fact taht peopel often feel as though they have to walk on eggshells when talking about certain topics, itd be nice if there felt like there was a more equal playing field to talk about everything without fear of being deemed a ‘racist’. I feel the word itself is banded about too much and actually adds to the problem. As soon as everyone is treated equally, then there is no ‘racism’

Flamespeak says:

And you miss the point of the argument.  No one here is saying that these schools don’t allow white people to join them, they are saying that a video game feeling the need to define itself by stating its racial affilitation in the title is, well, rude and racially offensive. It works against the idea of not considering someone because of their race.

I do think that the segregated portion of America’s history needs to be remembered, however, when I see stuff like this, it almost seems as if the idea of segregation is being glorified.

Papa Shango says:

That’s a BS arguement. No HBC’s are in any football sports titles. Black College Football Experience…you know what that makes me think of? Not exclusion at all. Just of what it would be like at a football game between two HBCU’s.You are nitpicking at the title to use as an arguement and that’s all. You want the White College Football Experience? Go buy NCAA 09.

RonnieBarzel says:

No, I don’t think the experience is unlike other college football games. I do think — as I wrote — that it is unlike any other college football game I’ve attended. I’ve seen Purdue at Ross-Ade Stadium within the past few years, as well as a Naval Academy game against somebody in the mid-’80s while my brother was a midshipman. While it was enjoyable watching the plebes do push-ups after each score, I don’t remember the USNA band driving the crowd into a frenzy as much as at the Circle City Classic. (Purdue wasn’t even close.)

HunterD says:

The sheer ammount of stupidity here shocks me.

You can’t compare it to how an "All White" university thing would be recieved for multiple reasons.

The reason there ARE historically black universities exist is because all the other colleges didn’t ALLOW black people to come to them.

The reason they are now reffered to as HISTORICALLY Black is because most (all?) of them admit students who are NOT black. (You know, like other Universities started admitting black people).

It’s not a "Blacks only" game, HBCs are not "Blacks only" colleges, so trying to compare them to "White only" is just proving your own ignorance.

Comparing black universities to other (completely unrelated) things like Affirmitive Action and all accomplish the same effect.

Da1rocky says:

Ok first of all…There is no they. certain groups of people may say something, but dont generalize them as the whole race. and as for as RE5 is concerned, I only heard one black woman mention it being racist, I’m surprized that her words speak for my entire race

BTW the game has drumming head to head with two sets of drums in compettive..though you might like that

Austin_Lewis says:

I especially enjoy how they want inclusion with games like this, but when they start including black zombies in Resident Evil its racist.  ‘Oh, it goes back to old stereotypes’ my ass.  Ever been to Africa?  The trailer is a pretty accurate depiction of a mob you can find in most areas at least once a month if not more.  But nooo, because the zombies are black it’s the worst thing ever done.

And as for your topic, it’s true.  If you made a game about the ‘white’ anything experience, it’d be jumped on by the black community faster than you can say bullshit.

Equality my ass.  Equality for them and bullshit for us.  This is why its so important we be politically incorrect.

Austin_Lewis says:

If you think that the experience is unlike other college football games, you need to find another college.  Go to a USMA game, or even better the USMA vs. USNA game and tell me it’s not as much about bands and spirit as football.

Or you could go to Madison, Duke (although not so much for football), Purdue, or any of about fifty schools’ games and see the same thing.

Wardog13 says:

Looks decent, but it kind of bothers me over the wide acceptance of this while if a white version was made all hell would break loose, but it looks like a decent game I would rent it if I liked sports games.

"I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely"

Da1rocky says:

Wow, this is something I can provide news on. On account I went to the game (Bayou Classic) I seen the game in action though it did look like a rock band rip off, they did have a drumline going on. I think…couldn t hear it.  I was a bit appaled at the game though, cause I do think it does sorta promote a separtion, but sounds like its game including some historical stuff, and exlcusive stuff. And the fact its made by a local company, I hope it succeeds. though they should have put it out for the wii (some people said if it was on the wii they would get it) But thats like the only game company in Louisiana I’ve heard of.

JWASH says:

1st off , the game isn’t prejudice, nor is it demeaning, it’s about Black College Football!!!! (Historically Black Colleges) The game itself is about the sport of football (of course) and the off field activities that are occuring during the game.. get a glimpse. stop hating, go buy if you don’t like it, sell it on ebay or return it t another store that does buybacks..  Get over it, or better yet enroll at an HBCU (Historically Black Colleges & Universities) , lol

CommiePuddin says:

Consider two things:

1) HBCU* football has a significant fan base, but not significant enough to warrant inclusion in EA’s NCAA Football XX (not to mention that the entirity of HBCU football exists in FCS and below, which is completely ignored by those creating the video games), much like college ice hockey has a significant fan base, but not significant enough to warrant inclusion in EA’s NHL XX.

2) HBCU football is vastly different from your average football game in many ways, not the least of which is the significance of the bands.  The Magic City Classic (Alabama A&M vs. Alabama State) brought 69,113 fans to Legion Field in Birmingham and only 10,000, if that, actually saw the conclusion of the game, as the rest leave after the halftime show.  Not one video game has ever incorporated this element of the event into a video game until this one.

The entire Southwest Athletic Conference disqualifies itself from the Division I tournament because the member schools find it more profitable to play classics amongst themselves and the Mid Eastern Athletic Conference and culminate in a SWAC Championship game.

"Black College Football Experience" has little to do with black people in and of itself, it has to do with the culture and atmosphere that is "Black College Football," just as "NCAA Football XX" encapsulates the atmosphere and experience of FBS football.  It is comperable to the difference between Vietnam War games and World War II games.  They’re both war games, they just focus on different subject matter.  Unfortunately, too many people get caught up in the word "black" here.

*Historically Black Colleges and Universities

RonnieBarzel says:

"So…reading the linked article, why didn’t they change the name to something that would possibly appeal to the uninformed ‘white’ gamer?"

That’s just what the "league," for lack of a better word, of games played by the HBCU (Historically Black Colleges & Universities) is called. It’s like Michael Bolton at IniTech refusing to change his name or go by "Mike."

Though it sort of operates like a conference, it’s a very loose grouping since each school belongs to an actual conference. even runs a Black College Football poll, which must be a pain to compile since the schools are divided between Div. I-A and Div. II.

EDIT: I live in Indianapolis, which annually hosts a Black College Football classic, and I have to say that the experience really is unlike any other college football games I’ve attended. The game is played by the usual rules, but the emphasis is just as much on bands and spirit as it is on the football itself.

Nathaniel Edwards says:

On first blush, this does raise questions like what people are saying, "Why do they need their own game?" However, on looking into it further, this really is a different sort of experience and it represents something different than just a college football game. If this were simply a college football game with all black players, I would be a bit worried, but that’s not the whole story.

I blog about controversial video games at The Legal Arcade.

nanguyenalice says:

I grew up watching Alcorn State University’s football team compete in the Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC, pronounced “swack”), so I was rudely surprised when I found out the all football wasn’t the same as historically black college and university (HBCU) experience. I remember thinking while watching a big 10 football game, “Damn, that band can’t dance at all!”

Anyway, assuming that the football is any good, it’s nice to see the greater gaming community get a taste of culture to which they wouldn’t normally be exposed. I generally don’t play many football games, but if I can see those big legged dancers come out at halftime … woo-whee!

( high school online and high school diploma )

Flamespeak says:

Pointing out how games that blatantly make fun of Southern raised white people are socially acceptable do little but prove that a double standard exists in society.

Titantim says:

And it’s not like they haven’t release games specifically for white people.  Look at Calvin Tucker’s Redneck Jamboree, and Redneck Rampage.  If I was black, i’d want to release a game based around black people after having to play that segregationist crap.  And yes, I know that Redneck Rampage isn’t exactaly a celebration of all things white.  But Redneck Jamboree?!

Flamespeak says:

Why does his opinion have no place here?

He isn’t throwing around hate speech. He is pointing out that the game is promoting a seperation of races but since the seperation is in favor of a minority it is seen as being politically correct when it most certainly is not.

Hannah says:

How is it unkind to point out inequality?  Would you have responded the same way if this was a white football game and someone had pointed out the lack of an equivalent black one and the probable reaction to such a game?

Zach_D says:

AE: I’ll let it slide this time but in the future please do not post in all caps.

DeepThorn says:

Another African American making his own kind look worse, when so many fight so hard to respectfully gain ground in the battle of equality.  Doug Williams would make Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton proud.

I feel bad for the black people who get treated badly because of other people in their race acting like such idiots.  Of course white people get a bad rap because of red necks and other stupid people.  Muslims because of terrorist groups, and so on.  So we all have groups that make us look bad, but society does treat the few extremely worthy black people bad, while the many, still not majority though, black people take advantage of the system because they think someone owes them something for something that didn’t even happen to them or their parents.

My aunt and uncle get crap for being married and bi-racial still.  Things are a lot better than 10 years ago though.  I was never even the slightest bit racist until moving to the last apartment, but then again, it isn’t racism if you just hate uneducated people.  A failed school system where there are 4 times more administrative positions than teaching positions will cause that too.  Then they wonder why less than 5% of the kids make it to college, then 20% of those making it to an AS or higher, and even less getting a BA/BS.

I think it is the old bats running the system who are prolly racist though, and it causes the majority of the kids in those areas of the city to be less educated, which happens to be more than 90% of the population.  With the stigma of people already thinking that black kids are less likely to succeed, it causes a few of them to become even more successful, while the majority end up in gangs, then some of them even dead.  All a self perpetuating thing.

There are many black groups starting up that are anti-Sharpton and anti-Jackson that protest for them to be active at all because of the stigma they bring, and really doing things the right way.  Getting funding to the underfunded schools, and fighting against people who are of their race that are trying to take advantage of the system. When the person acts like they are owed something when they don’t show up for work half of the time, and other employment based issues.

Of course if Bush’s no child left behind program was structured correctly, then a lot of this wouldn’t happen, and if state government would put restrictions on how many teachers are required vs administration positions, then that would help out a lot.  Mix that with cops actually patrolling the areas where gang crime is happening instead of staying clear of the areas completely, then you have yourself a system that will work pretty well, but with part of the police force in bed with the gangs at the beginning of this year, it is already trouble.

Now that 25% of the police force has been taken off completely or suspended until the federal investigation is done, it helps.  We are lacking a lot of needed police officers though, and the police who are still on duty are being told by the higher ups to give out tickets as much as possible for traffic violations to be able to get enough money to fund them, which is taking the focus off of bigger crimes, and making things worse…

Wow, you would think it was LA with all of that…  or even Chicago or Detroit.  Since Chicago started coming down on gangs though, they all migrated over here…  Doesn’t take much to figure out where I live now, haha.  Between a bigger city, federal investigation of the police force, and the education system would be enough to figure it out.  The only other thing I could say to finish that off is to say that it is the biggest city without mass transit in the US.

Pinworm says:

walikchris says:

Your assessment of "clearly rascist" is not really accurate here, as it’s a game ( real estate degree ) based on black colleges and the football divisions they are part of. I’m not trying to argue the over-all nature of whether or not that should be part of the integrated American ( advertising degree ) race experience, simply pointing out that there is such a thing as a "historically black college."  So, no it’s not likely ‘next’ to see the "Hispanic College Football Experience or Asian College Football Experience."

Flamespeak says:

I am not detracting from your post in any way, however, I do feel the need to point out that if you are Asian they will knock off points from your entrance examination to most schools instead of awarding you any. Something about setting the curve or some other such garbage.

Austin_Lewis says:

Bullshit.  The black people were enslaved for about 250 years.  The Irish people were enslaved for 500.  The Chinese were pretty much enslaved for about 150 years in America.  The Jewish people have gotten fucked over everywhere they went from Egypt on to Israel.  The Native American tribes were obliterated by the settlers.  And you’re telling me, out of all of those people, that the black people deserve special treatment and ‘entitlement’ the most?

No one is ‘entitled’ to a goddamn thing on the basis of their skin pigmentation.  I’m half Sac and Fox Indian and half Irish.  My forebears were pushed out of Ireland by the black and tans, and the other half were pushed out of their land by the American government.  Yet I’ve never been ‘entitled’ to a damn thing.  Apparently, if you’re 1/16th native american these days and registered with a tribe (which, by the way, means you don’t have to obey regular laws if you live on the reservation) you can get a nearly full ride to any college for free, just by checking that ‘Native American/ Inuit’ box or whatever it says these days.  But I never got that sort of thing, nor did I check the ‘native american’ box.

Let’s take a look at affirmative action; it lets a lot of people into colleges that, let’s face it, don’t belong there.  I’ve seen people at local colleges in NC and OH that obviously didn’t have the intelligence for college, and never did the work for college, but were somehow there because their ancestor was native american, black, asian, whatever.  What’s even sadder to see, however, is how when an exceptional person of color comes along, they’re thought of as having needed that affirmative action ‘helping’ hand to have gotten that job or position.

This idea that a race is ‘entitled’ to something because their ancestors MAY have done something is idiotic.  The only case in which its even a valid argument is in the case of the japanese internment camps, because the people who were in those camps are still alive today (a few of them, at least).  I don’t see why the anyone, red, yellow, black, white, should be entitled to a damn thing because of the work their great great grandparents did, the suffering they withstood, and the back-breaking labor they endured.

Entitlement is idiotic.  Everyone gets the same basic rights, and its up to you to excel.

Flamespeak says:

Who’s we?

Cherokee and Irish here.

Was it my ancestors that were marched by the thousands off their homeland to the West and lost many lives along the way?

Was it my ancestors that were beat to death in the streets for being foreigners?

I mean, just so I can know which one of my lineages to be ashamed of and what-not.

NovaBlack says:

to be fair ive never ‘given black people shit’ . Some of my closest friends are black. I feel its actually fairly racist to say that because white ancestors did certain things, that all white people are the same, and so we carry the debt.

eagleeye18 says:

All of what you said makes perfect sense. But with regard to what you say about rednecks, you have to be more specific. People consider me a redneck because I was born and raised in a small town in Georgia, i like to hunt and fish, i have a hunting dog, and I drive a big truck. What they do not take the time to find out is that I have a Master’s in accounting and am the president of a bank. I also volunteer at my church to help the elderly and handicapped.  So therefore I am a redneck and DAMN proud of it. I guess what you mean by "redneck" are these morons that go around burning crosses and hanging nooses in trees just because they don’t like someone’s place of origin or skin color. I don’t call these people rednecks, I call them pond scum.

Just to be clear, I am not trying in any way to retract from anything that you have said here. I just want to help.

KayleL says:

Wow, that sums up about how I feel.

You know what else makes a huge difference. Having a second chance. Why too many people who are in gangs stay in gangs just because they believe they don’t get second changes. They screw up as a young kid, and don’t know where to go. They don’t what to be part of a gang, but feel they have to.

I remember in Extreme Makeover Home Edition, there was a family who lived in a house that we only dream of, but moved out into a horrible neighbourhood just so they can make a diffence. They have some houses that they would let people stay for a night or two, get food, and help anybody knock at the door. That family made such as difference that the nightly shootings became only a monthly shooting. I would say that’s a huge difference.

eagleeye18 says:

I agree. I mean we have Rock Band, so why not Country Band. Or Blues Band… It just seems like they could do something to appeal to all genres of music. Have a game where when you start a career you can select what genre of music you would like to play and go from there.

nekusagi says:

Not a sports person, but a drumline game DOES sound fun, I will admit.

There is an untapped niche for other music games. Wii Music so far is the closest to this, but a game that offers another musical genre is definitely a step in the right direction.

Flamespeak says:

The concept of this game is not racist!

It isn’t racist in the slightest in terms of content.

the average Joe or Jane walking by this game on the shelf will see a game that says "Black College Football: The Experience" and, unless they are familiar with the subject, will assume what most other people have. "Why do they feel the need to say that it is BLACK colleges?"

The entire argument could have been averted if the makers of the game would have taken the time to come up with a different title. Something that calls attention to race, which this game does, as a way to differintiate itself from its competitors is racist.

The actual game, the colleges, the gameplay, all of that is fine. Perfectly acceptable. Just a bone-headed and rather stupid ad campaign and choice of title that causes people to focus on race initially. Just look at this board for an example of that.

Krono says:

Except that the moment they make a video game about the HBCU football classics rivalries you just called not racist, it suddenly becomes racist. Double standard much?

Because as far as I can tell, you are saying:

Football Classic games between Historically Black College and Universities complete with a traditional emphasis on halftime show music competitions = non-racist tradition of rivalries set up long ago and still honored Today.

Video game about the above = racist promotion of segregation.

Or did you have some rationalization for how the Black College football games (that are non-standard for the NCAA) described in the wikipedia link there aren’t racist, but a video game about a that same segment of college football that isn’t really covered by existing NCAA video games is racist?

Krono says:

In that case, you better get started protesting the HBCU football classics that various universities play, because under your logic, they promote segration as well. Despite those colleges themselves having long since been desegregated when everything else was.

Krono says:

No the game isn’t marked as being mainly for people with high amounts of melanin in their skin. It’s marked as being about the kind of football game that was played in Historically Black Colleges and Universities before the end of segregation, and still gets some play today.

Or do you think all bits of culture that arose due to segregation should be shunned and written out of the history books, rather than weighed upon their own merit?

Flamespeak says:

Thank goodness they clearly marked that the game is mainly meant for people with high amounts of melanin in their skin, otherwise I might have inadvertantly bought this game and had fun.

Haggard says:

While they’re probably alienating nearly all of the white audience, they are on the other hand appealing very strongly and personally to a black audience. The strategy may well be that more people will buy this game precisely because it is one of the few games designed for black people than would have done if it was just another obscure Madden knock-off.

Wolvenmoon says:

Just by the title they’re lopping off a large chunk of potential market, unless people can read the back of the game-but most console games in stores are locked behind glass.

If I played anything but PC FPS+RTS+RPGs and the occasional wii platformer, I’d get this to see what it was about.

Papa Shango says:

The funny thing is that just because a school is an HBCU doesn’t mean it isn’t open to a specific race. It’s just a name because they were founded under the premise of giving higher education to blacks who were otherwise not getting it at the time due to racism. I don’t see how this game can be viewed as racist but maybe it’s just me.

omagnus says:

I think what u have here is a game that is trying to offer the rock band experience, but from a different perspective. To say that they are alienating a large part of the market with this game is the same arguement that could be had with games like guitar hero and rock band. The music that is pushed relentlessly on these games is heavily catered to certain individuals, when it someone could easily have made some dlc based on R&B, classic motown, and other types of sounds where the music was focused more on the insturments than the technology. I mean I wanna hear la vida loca once in  a while!

You have issues going on today where city schools are being forced to cut music out of their curriculum, completely denying anyone in the school direct exposure to the arts, where folks in college bands get their inspiration from. So where do they go to get that inspiration? Games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band provide an alternative platform for people who aspire to become musicians to live out their fantasy. But not everyone likes rock. Just like not everyone likes R&B or hip hop. So what do you do to try to bring everyone in? Provide content that can appeal to all walks of life. And this game is just one example. I mean, why can’t we see all types of music make their way onto videogames! The main problem we have with music today is that it isnt original anymore. That’s because people just stick with what they know, and aren’t willing to invite sounds and ideas to the table. And that’s all races…

And besides, before any of you heard of this game, how many of you can honestly say that you even know what the black college football experience is, and what it represents? This experience is just not not about the game, but about the bands that motivate the crowds who support their teams. Other school bands who have the chance to make it on  TV get about 5 second clips during the game, black college bands get a halftime event. That’s because black colleges support their music talents just as much as they do their athletics. Is anyone speaking up for those bands who get such limited exposure? No. Instead, they put their energies into keeping everyone else from having a voice. Instead of wasting all of your thought-out time and energy trying to make a ridiculous argument as to why this game isnt necessary, you should be directing your energies as to why people felt that this game needed to be made in the first place. This is something that black colleges have been doing for quite sometime, yet it hasn’t been represented in any medium outside of BET (and even that is scarce). There are many things that aren’t being well-represented when it comes to college sports. If you have the means and the resources to make it happen, then by all means let the people see what u bring to your school(s) program.

Flamespeak says:

"I hate how if someone is second best, they still have a chance to be first based on their race."

I don’t see how people don’t see the glaring racism/sexism that occurs in these scenarios. Not for the best person being skipped (that is racist/sexist too) but saying that the person that is second best obviously needs help getting to the number one spot because of their race/gender is akin to saying "I feel sorry for *insert name here*, they were born with this limiting condition that means they will forever struggle in life just trying to be as good as someone who is *insert race/gender here*. I must help them!"

KayleL says:

I believe stuff like this is just prolonging racism. In my school, white people are the minority. The people I interact with the most at my school are anything but white. I do not think that there should be a white people club at my school. I don’t care my classmates are black, white, brown, asian, etc. I make my opinion based purely on their personality, and I think that’s how it should be. How does the colour of you skin determine any thing about you in anyway?

When I say I treat everyone the same, that means not only by stopping judgement and criticism, but special treatment too. I hate how if someone is second best, they still have a chance to be first based on their race. It maybe helping a race in short term, but also encourage separation, and prolong racism.