Desert Bus Running Once Again for Charity

November 30, 2008 -

Comedy troupe LoadingReadyRun has launched its second annual Desert Bus for Hope charity drive.

The gimmick here is that LRR members control the annoyingly monotonous Desert Bus simulator continuously as long as their mostly gamer audience continues to make donations.

A live stream shows the "drivers" at work (see pic). The game is reportedly part of the never-released Penn & Teller's Smoke & Mirrors, originally intended for the Sega CD system.

As a bonus, none other than actor Wil Wheaton (he's an ECA member!) will be checking in with the Desert Bus crew later today.

What They Play has a detailed explanation of the diabolical way in which the Desert Bus fundraiser works:

Viewers are asked to donate money via the Desert Bus website, and as the dollar total rises, so does the length of time the team must continue driving the bus... In order to limit the event to a few days, each additional hour costs more in donations than the previous hour did, until they become prohibitively expensive.

Despite this limitation, though, last year’s event ran 108 hours long. Viewers are encouraged to participate by e-mail, or by live internet chat, where they can ask questions of the crew, make requests, and become an active participant.

FULL DISCLOSURE DEPT: The ECA is the parent company of GamePolitics.

Comments

Re: Desert Bus Running Once Again for Charity

I donated on behalf of Gameslaw

-- Dan "SWATJester" Rosenthal; Executive Director, http://www.gameslaw.net

-- Dan Rosenthal

Re: Desert Bus Running Once Again for Charity

A part of me is slightly sadistic I suppose, so I'm donating this year. :P

“When men are most sure and arrogant they are commonly most mistaken, giving views to passion without that proper deliberation which alone can secure them from the grossest absurdities” ~ David Hume

Re: Desert Bus Running Once Again for Charity

Penn And Teller paid for thier supper last night.

Re: Desert Bus Running Once Again for Charity

I wonder how they came up with such an idea?

I find the lack of comments disturbing.

Re: Desert Bus Running Once Again for Charity

Quite an interesting idea. Replacing running/biking for something that requires much less physical effort, but much more effort in different areas. I should sign up next time.

Re: Desert Bus Running Once Again for Charity

Thanks for invalidating my self-invalidating comment, thanks a bunch.

-ConstantNeophyte: always the newb, ALWAYS.

-ConstantNeophyte: always the newb, ALWAYS.

Re: Desert Bus Running Once Again for Charity

Sorry about that. I promise not to post ever again.

Re: Desert Bus Running Once Again for Charity

Too late now, the damage is done.

-ConstantNeophyte: always the newb, ALWAYS.

-ConstantNeophyte: always the newb, ALWAYS.

Re: Desert Bus Running Once Again for Charity

So comments are working, but no one is commenting. Yay apathy!

-ConstantNeophyte: always the newb, ALWAYS.

-ConstantNeophyte: always the newb, ALWAYS.

Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm