Warner Bros. Creates AIDS Prevention Game for Kenya

It’s always great to see game tech being to put to use for purposes larger than mere entertainment.

Variety’s Cut Scene blog reports that Warner Bros. Interactive will launch a free online game in Kenya designed to teach players about the risks of AIDS as well as how to prevent the spread of the disease.

The five-player game is called Pamoja Mtaani, which translates to Together in the Hood. It will target youth centers in Nairobi and features tunes from local hip-hop musicians. Pamoja Mtaani was developed by North Carolina-based Virtual Heroes, creators of America’s Army.

Here’s how Warner Bros. describes the game:

[Pamoja Mtaani] follows five strangers who are brought together through unforeseen circumstances, losing what is most precious to each of them. Working their way through various East African neighborhoods, players must recover the stolen items and help an injured woman on their quest. Along the way, they will experience barriers and facilitators to behavior change through a variety of missions and mini-games.

Pamoja Mtaani is an outgrowth of The Partnership For an HIV-free Generation.

Father Time says:

May the game spread like .. AIDS, I guess.

"What for you bury me in the cold cold ground?" – Tasmanian devil

Doomsong says:

This should work really well….

Games prevented me from getting laid for most of high school.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" – Benjamin Franklin

hayabusa75 says:

I have a feeling the youths who play this game will have more fun doing the things you’re NOT supposed to do in the game.  I think the end result will be that the game becomes a point of ridicule rather than a teaching tool, good intentions notwithstanding.

"There is no sin except stupidity." – Oscar Wilde

Hankage says:

Why bother? if your average Kenyan is too stupid to understand that you can stop the spread of AIDS either by wearing a condom or simply not fucking, I really doubt a game will help.

A severe beating with a lead pipe, maybe, but not a game.

Arell says:

Yeah, this is kind of silly.  If they can’t afford a basic health class in school, who are they expecting to play the game?  Are they going to set up free kiosks out in the middle of poor Kenyan neigborhoods?

And from the description of the game, I’m not sure how they teach AIDS awarness.  Sounds more like an adventure game.  Kenya’s HIV rate has dropped from 10 to 6% in the last decade, but shared drug use and prostitution are still the leading causes for spreading.  Unless the game is saying "don’t use drugs and spring for a condom," I’m not sure what they hope to accomplish.

zel says:

I was wondering if they’re too poor to get education in school, how are they going to play the game??  I’m all for trying to help people out especially people in dire straights with serious problems like this but you’d think everyone would know by now that generally poor populations don’t have much cash to spend on entertainment so they have sex since its free (usually :P), this is why STDs spread and why poor hoods have large population growth despite poverty, boredom = sex i tell you. For instance if you were to cut electricty to a large area, you bet your ass a bunch of couples are gonna by like, damn i’m so bored and theres no TV or anything…  lets have sex!  😛

I am a signature virus, please copy and paste me into your signature to help me propagate.

Volomon says:

I have a feeling he doesn’t realize their are poor countries out there.

On another note does the game involve avoiding penises?  Cause I think they could probably just ship over some prison simulators.