Protester: Army’s Teen Game Competition is “Military Pedophilia”

Sacramento’s News-10 reports that a small contingent of military veterans staged a protest outside a game tournament sponsored by the US Army in Rancho Cordova, California yesterday.

Members of the group Veterans for Peace assembled outside of an Army training center while teens competed inside. Protester John Reiger told News-10:

It’s like giving candy to kids. It’s sort of like military pedophilia in a way, preying on our young people.

However, Army Sgt. Victor Farrier defended the event, which was staged to show off recruiting game America’s Army:

The event is nothing more than an opportunity for people to become familiar with the Army.

Sgt. Farrier added that only those 17 and older were eligible to participate on their own. Under-17s were admitted as well, if accompanied by a parent.

oto kirlama says:

I’m all for freedom of ttnet vitamin speech and allowing rent a car game makers to put whatever they want in games, but there’s one thing about this app that has me scratching my head.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but from araç kiralama the previous article araba kiralama on this I gathered that players can use Google maps in-game to find the other (real-life?) dealers in their area.  If this is the case, has travesti anyone considered what’s stopping someone from using this app to actually move drugs between hands for reals?

But majority araba kiralama of their outrage araç kiralama stems from what it could DO TO children, not the content itself.  Talk to one of these people and you’ll find they don’t think any books kiralık araba should be banned from children.  Mention American Psycho and they talk about kiralık araç the redeeming value of using imagination to construct a story.  Reading, no matter what the content, is largely viewed as a consequenceless activity for people of any age.  The reason why I mention American Psycho is because of the content itself.  Gaming never has and likely never will have any scenes where someone has sex with a severed head.  Not gonna happen.  Yet despite this, they’ll fight tooth and nail to protect their children from two boys kissing in Bully but whatever they read is harmless… yeah.

The entire arguement is kiralık oto based upon a social normality inflicted by luddites who can’t figure out the controls for Halo so it’s frightening and terrifying and obviously the cause of youth violence on the rise even though, in reality, it’s in decline (which is actually a HUGE suprise given minibüs kiralama the economies status).  In  a perfect world, we would have parents that actually parent.  The idea of sales restrictions on media on oto kiralama any form to accomidate parental unwillingness to get involved with their child’s life is the real problem to me.  Here I am, 32 years old, and being held up at a self-scan rent a car needing to show ID before I can buy a $10 M rated game all because Soccer Momthra can’t be bothered to look at the crap Billy Genericallystupidson does in his free time.  It’s too hard for her, so I have to suffer?

zel says:

Typical troll thinking: Treat a whole nation like a singular person, as if every american here is resposible for decisions our nation makes and then villianize everyone from that nation as if they had done it themself. Then proceed to mock and make as many inflammatory statements without much in the way of proof and state it all as fact, throw in an insult or two and you have a good troll. Just stop, you’re embarassing yourself more than usual.

I am a signature virus, please copy and paste me into your signature to help me propagate.

Derovius says:

Typical American thinking, "oh, they were just like the sand people before we came and gave them TV, fast food and jesus". Iraq was a fine place to live under Saddam, as far as despots go. Women could go to school, there were function universities, utilities, the standard of living was quite good, etc.

Then the US bombs the ever loving shit out of their utilities, throws the nation into anarchy and comes running in screaming, "OMG, We’ll save you oil!… erm, IRAQ!". You then stimulate you economy by rebuilding the nation you just bombed the shit out of, terrorize the populace with your paramilitary security companies and torture POW’s. You illegally hold prisoners without trial for years on end with your own 21st century concentration camps AND continue to shove this shit as if you are humanitarians.

Thankfully your nations overall greed has come back to kick you in the junk; you’re now facing the worst financial crisis since the great depression, you have FAILED to wrestle complete control of two conquered nations and you’re desperate for bodies to continue this war. Come to think of it, the US hasn’t won any war period unless its Allies are there to hold its leash, re: WW2. Just stop, you’re embarassing yourselves more than usual.

Austin_Lewis says:

We established 2 democracies in exchange for 400 billion dollars (yeah, if you didn’t know, a lot of the ‘spending’ for Iraq was actually pork for other things, but the news media never got around to seperating them.  It’s almost like they’re biased…) and 4000-some lives.  Iraq went from a country where you couldn’t own a TV to a country that can begin on that road to exchanging ideas with the world.

The war also put an end to a commonly used route for smuggling weapons around the world, but the media seems to have left that out to.  Just like they forgot about all the chemical weapons that have gone missing from Iraq.

Derovius says:

It is however much more senseless. What gains has the military achieved for all these deaths? You "controlled" the nation completely after 2 weeks. Its now 5 years later and people are still dying.

Derovius says:

Its the stupid people that need protecting; you wouldn’t be so cavelier about someone tricking a retard out of his lunch money using the argument that "he would have just eat the money and wasted it anyways".

NutMan says:

I’m not gonna get into a dumb debate about whether they’re trying to trick 18 year old kids into joining the army, but I’ll say this…

If you’re dumb enough to join the Army because you played America’s Army or some other video game then ok…Go ahead and join up. You probably would’ve ended up there anyway,

zel says:

Ya its been that was for a while seems like, to drum up support they link whatever they dislike with child molestation. I don’t see the link between the "p" word and what the military is doing. Stupid bullshit drummed up by dumbshit people. We have JROTC in high school and such, whats the difference. So the military is trying to recruit, newsflash, they’ve always recruited and promised all kinds of stuff to get people to join. I’ve heard people say dumb crap like "I only joined for the college money, i don’t wanna go to war!" well then don’t join, cause you might go to war. I grew up as a military kid so I knew already of what life was like in the military. The military is necessary though and they should be allowed plenty of space to recruit. No matter how safe people may think the US is, we are only that safe becuase of military might. Even in this day and age there are no garauntees on respect of sovereignty, just look at what russian tried with georgia. If we let our military fall apart it would be a safe bet that of the many nations that have governments that hate us, someone would try something and our ‘friends’ may just let us get our ass whooped for a while before doing anything.

Lets keep in mind past event don’t always sway the future decisions of nations. If you recall we saved China’s ass back in WW2 when it was getting hammered by the japanese and yet we don’t exactly have the best of relations with them now, I doubt they would return that favor any time soon.

Anyways, I think these people are full of crap 😛  Seriously, "war is hell, don’t enlist" ya if everyone followed that advice we would have no army at all, and then what will happen?  "veterans for peace" sounds like a bunch of drafted hippies.

Austin_Lewis says:

I’d think its more a sign that the pedophilia scare is out of fucking control.  Think about it; how often is it invoked in a way that makes you think that whatever its being compared with is the goddamn devil himself?

Kajex says:

No kidding. We have sexist feminists running around arguing that pr0nography can be a gateway to pedophilia, desparate disbarred attorneys calling video games mental molestation, and Chris Hansen on T.V.. These people have nothing better to do, if they can throw around the word like it has actual relevance to the issue. And even if they HAD a point, they fail to mention this is open only to 17+ persons. When you have to pitch a bitch fit about "protecting the children", when the children are almost old enough to start making decisions for themselves, I’d hate to see them start protesting something that you can only participate in once you reach the age of 30.

Neeneko says:

I wonder if it is a sign that the pedophile scare is finally comming to an end when any unrelated group feels it can make it’s case by comparing whatever they don’t like to pedophillia.

I think we are seeing a lesser version of godwin’s law panning out ^_^

Arell says:

Hey, if some just graduated 18 year old wants to join the Army because he thought a game was cool, I have no problem with that.  It’s a lame reason to join the military, but whatever.  It’s their choice at that point.  And it’s not much different than coaxing poor teens with promises of college education.

What?  Is the military supposed to stop all recruitment altogther?  Or are they just supposed to point out the part about visiting hostile locations and getting shot at?  Because I don’t think many people would sign up if all you told them about was the high mortality rate.

Derovius says:

You mean the National Guard? Hardly military, they are paramilitary by definition.

Moreover, the Army Corps of Engineers have a lack luster record of actually helping anyone; the new levy around New Orleans couldn’t withstand a wind storm, let alone a hurricane.

Austin_Lewis says:

You should go over there.  You could both watch AND survive, being that your a whiney little roach and all.  Just be sure to bring over twinkies.

Austin_Lewis says:

Glad to see you back to talking about things you have no knowledge of, much like that whole ‘Nukular Power iz bad because this website saidz so’ discussion.

The Army Corps of Engineers does quite a bit in peace-time, including maintaining bridges that local governments can’t for whatever reason.  There are also groups in the military that fight fires, reinforce police during riots, assist during natural disasters, and portions that do things like assist ATC’s.

Derovius says:

Yeah, thats pretty much all a military is good for; attacking another nation or defending your own. Simply because you take an Army Corps of Engineers and dump them into a natural disaster doesn’t mean that they aren’t a tool of war.

Just as a wrench is still a wrench, even when I use it like a hammer.

Erik says:

I’ve not forgotten.  Unfortunately our government has.  They pissed away the War on Terror the moment they started in on the completely irrelevant war in Iraq.  Thus leaving Afghanistan out to dry.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

Shadow D. Darkman says:

Yeah… I didn’t like it either, but I had to share it.

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

Father Time says:

When we get out of Iraq or at least downplay the urgency of Iraq there’d be less protestors.

Seriously man those people are pissed that they’re trying to get kids to go off to die for what they think is a pointless war.

Now if we were say doing operations in Pakistan or at least mainly focusing on Afghanistan their numbers would dwindle significantly.

They do get kind of aggressive though, I remember getting a call from a military guy when I turned 18 and he pretended he was a buddy of mine I’ve known for a while.

"What for you bury me in the cold cold ground?" – Tasmanian devil

Shadow D. Darkman says:

In regard to Pearl Harbor, Frank (yes, our Frank) drew a picture for the anniversary of the incident.

It was a nuke explosion with the words "Merry Christmas, Japan!" in the bulb of the mushroom cloud, and out to the side he wrote "From your friends at Pearl Harbor."

When he showed me earlier today, I was like "WTF?"

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

Brokenscope says:

Pearl Harbor wasn’t the only placed attacked that day.

Wake Island alone threw a rather signifigant wrench in the Japanese Time Table for the pacific.

BrandonL337 says:

They attacked a military instalation when the only ships that could release plane to combate them were away it was virtually unchallenged, sure the military helped fight them afterwards but as to preventing the attack no the military didn’t help much, they were caught off-gaurd in a sneak attack who’s to say another sneak attack won’t come

United we Stand, Divided we fall.

Bennett Beeny says:

I was in the Air Cadets too (in the UK), although it’s so long ago (circa 1977) that I don’t even remember what squadron I was in – it might have been 481.

In the end, both methods exist to boost armed forces recruitment.  Either way, it’s propaganda, and propaganda is brainwashing.

Derovius says:

Except for that fact that the entire purpose of the military is to kill and die for ones country. Recruitment should not be taken lightly, nor made light of by making it into a form of entertainment that encourages said recruitment.

Derovius says:

So you advocate for a military that doesn’t answer to the elected leader of your nation? Thats a scary little fantasy you have, please keep it to yourself for the sake of the rest of us.

Austin_Lewis says:

The military does, actually, have rights, and I’m quite thankful they don’t dance to the tune of the ‘people’, because there are far too many idiots who, much like Clinton, don’t know a damn thing about the military.  Kind of like yourself.

Cerabret100 says:

you would think they’d go under the assumption that your training would take care of that.

as for health things i’m flat-footed (i remember someone telling me that meant they wouldn’t except me, but i don’t no the truth), my eyesight isn’t great at long distances (which i know rules out the air force) and i’m a bit chubby.

And if they tested for common sense, there is no way in hell i’d get in (but hey, at least i’m book smart).

nekusagi says:

If he’s quoting the Simpsons episode I think he is (the "Yvan Eht Nioj" one), "liminal" was posters and such, and superliminal was the army recruiter yelling "Hey! Join the Navy!" out the window to a passing by Otto, who replies "Okay, man."

Vake Xeacons says:

Yeah, don’t enlist! Military people and veterans are scum! America doesn’t need defences. No one’s ever attacked us before.

To all those that protest the military, I’ve got 3 words for you: Have You Forgotten?

Semper Fi

HarmlessBunny says:

I was in Air Cadets 505 Squadron. Those days were really fun and I miss Cadets a lot.

Ah to the point… Seems like all the pundits and the angry parents will want to complain about something, they’ll do it. Back in our parents day, the military set up booths in high schools and gave out adverts and papers encouraging the "military life". Do use a video-game to do it…intriging idea, not one I support but it is very far from "brain-washing". I agree though, if they saw our own DOD ‘s methods would they consider it brainwashing or a valid organization providing kids with something to do…?

JB says:

I find it funny there are people who complain that the U.S. military is using video games to recruit children into the army. Because up here in Canada we have a Department of Defence funded organization called Cadets ( ). Kids between the ages of 12 to 18 can join the Royal Canadian Army Cadets, Sea Cadets, or Air Cadets and take part in military training.

I was in the Army Cadets for six years and I spent every summer of my youth attending cadet camp (five summers in ACSTC Argonaut and one summer in Banff National Army Cadet Camp).
    Though I seriously considered joining the army I didn’t. I’m an accountant now. And these guys are worried about a video game? Thank God these guys aren’t in Canada or they’d be protesting against the Canadian DOD for brainwashing our youth to become killers or some such nonsense.
    I miss cadets… I had a lot of fun there.
    JustChris says:

Yeah, I know what you’re talking about. That didn’t interest me though. I liked doing the marksmanship courses in JROTC, even though I sucked at it. Right handedness with left eye dominance really messed up my aiming. It was cool though because in college I met another former cadet that did the same thing. We were the only two people that gave our tokens to Big Buck Hunter in the campus arcade 😀

Austin_Lewis says:

I went to a military highschool back when we could still have real rifles on campus.  We had a JROTC instructor who was a grizzled old vet who taught RECONDO and RAIDER courses.  Tons of fun all around.

Darmoth says:

We had the JROTC at my highschool… they did some interesting productions I can remember. I don’t know what they called it but, I’d describe it as synchronized rifle tossing. No, they weren’t real rifles, they were props that were balanced for tossing and twirling.

Flamespeak says:

I tried to join after high school.

Took their entrance test and was told that I scored high enough that I had my pick of positions in the military, I had a squeaky clean criminal history and some law enforcement experience.

They then told me that unless I lose 3 inches of belly fat they weren’t going to touch me.

Yup, 3 inches of belly fat kept me from serving my nation. Of course now I am in a cushy job making good money and have a great retirment package and benefits, so I don’t think I can really complain too much.

Father Time says:

The maximum age of a recruitee has been raised, I know that much.

"What for you bury me in the cold cold ground?" – Tasmanian devil

Darmoth says:

I tried to join the airforce after highschool… they didn’t want me. Recruiter told me it was because I was on an anti-depressant. *shrug*

I wouldn’t be suprised if their recruiting standards have fallen in the past few years though…

Father Time says:

I don’t think they’re like the PTC. The PTC moans whines and bothers the FCC (that would be government) to forcefully remove content they don’t like (or fine people who put things on TV they don’t like). Penn said it best with "They want to make sure you’ll never see anything that they wouldn’t want to see."

By contrast the army protestors more like your everyday critics of GTA, i.e. ‘we wish you wouldn’t have cop killing in your game, we’ll condemn you for it but that’s about it’. Both GTA and the condemnding of GTA for having killable cops are free speech.

"What for you bury me in the cold cold ground?" – Tasmanian devil

jccalhoun says:

I am not a lawyer and unlike some people I’m not even a disbarred one but do organizations have First Amendment protection?  The Army isn’t a person but it is an extension of the government.  Does the First Amendment pertain to government organizations?  I don’t think so but I"m no expert on the First Amendment.

Too bad there’s no self-described First Amerndment experts who follow every word written on this site or anything…

(Wouldn’t it be weird if Jacko actually responded with a reasonable and well thought-out opinion?  I might die of shock)

HarmlessBunny says:

Of course it is "protect the children" mentality, without thinking of logic or consequences. That is why I hate the PTC and other organizations that believe they are the higher moral authority encouraging the striping of rights off of one group, yet proclaim theirs are being violated by another.

Flamespeak says:

"I still find it funny how groups like this love to throw around their message in the face recruiters and tell them to stop their practices under the guise of free speech. It is like the idea that the Army is also entitled to freedom of speech and expression is a completely alien notion to these people.

Cerabret100 says:

I can see both sides of the issue. the fact that any advertising can create an idealized (and therfore a little false) setting is something to be wary about, but on the other hand, it probably has truly inspired some to check the army out.

Personally, armed service isn’t for me, but i appreciate what they do and agree that the army should put out some type of ad for those who do have an interest.

ZippyDSMlee says:

Oh gaaa…. sure it might be propaganda…bu the miltary has always used media to advertise in form or another if you don;t want them advertising then you face a darft…..frankly non combat 1-5 year subsciption would do this country some good…. nothing but mindless PC nazis who think peace can support peace infentily………
    Pirates,Shearers,Lenders and downloaders are not a market that can be taped by the mainstream.
    I is fuzzy brained mew =^^=