Delicious Irony: Judge Who Nixed Blagojevich’s Game Law approved FBI Wiretap of Crooked Illinois Guv

Pop Quiz – the following line is from:

1. A Grand Theft Auto cut scene
  2. The potty mouth of Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich

I’ve got this thing and it’s f***ing golden, and, uh, uh, I’m just not giving it up for f***in’ nothing. I’m not gonna do it. And, and I can always use it. I can parachute me there.

The answer, as you might have guessed, is Rod Blagojevich.

The foul-mouthed Guv was picked up on FBI wiretaps trying to figure out how to trade his constitutional ability to name a replacement for Barack Obama’s remaining term in the Senate for something of value to himself. The chicanery over the Senate appointment is but one of several corruption charges against Blagojevich.

And, in a yummy twist of fate, U.S. District Court Judge Matthew Kennelly, who ruled in 2005 that Blagojevich’s video game law was unconstitutional, was one of two federal judges who authorized recent FBI wiretaps that led to Blagojevich’s downfall.

In fact, a reading of the FBI’s complaint against Blagojevich shows that both the Guv and his wife have a penchant for dropping the F-bomb. And this is the guy who was so concerned about the mature content in GTA?

In still more LOL-type Blagojevich news, GP reader amuler1 reminds us that – at least according to Jack Thompson – Blagojevich asserted that violent video games were behind February’s shooting rampage at Northern Illinois University. In a February 16th press release, Thompson wrote:

Today at 3:55 pm, Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich was interviewed on the Fox News Channel about yesterday’s massacre at Northern Illinois University.  When asked why these school shootings are occurring, the Governor stated, “A lot of people smarter than I can be asked that question, but I believe we have to look to the violent entertainment that glamorizes and motivates and trains people to engage in these behaviors, most especially video games.”

The Governor echoes what Miami attorney Jack Thompson said on Fox News this morning at 10:15 am this same day, as he noted that the Virginia Tech and other school shooters have been immersed in these murder simulators.

At the time we were unable to confirm Thompson’s assertions regarding Blagojevich’s linking of NIU and violent games, although we have no reason to doubt that Thompson is correct concerning what the disgraced Guv may have said.

1. 0 says:

Hi Everyone,

In light of all the events around Blagojevich, I created two Blago games as political satire here:

I beleive it is fitting that the very industry he tried to pass legislation on now has games making fun the situation he is in in the currentl headlines.

Shawn Recinto

mdo7 says:

So, we got Eliot Spitzer and then this guy.  Sweet, now all we have to do is see if Leland Yee do something way criminal (or very terrorists).  I did found out that he shot down a peice of legislation where it could have ban Lead in children’s toys.  Why would he turn that down?  I got a few ideas why:

-He’s probably working with the communist government in China.  Remember we had many products recall because of high levels of dangerous chemicals.  Do you also remember that the computer hackings was thought to came from China, what if he’s the one helping with that.

-He’s in league with Al-Queda, or Iran.

-Just wait until he do something stupid.

Anyway to answer that pop quiz, I don’t think it’s from GTA.  Nope, it’s probably from the movie Scarface, and The Departed.  I think this guy was secretly listening to gangsta rap music.

Adamas Draconis says:

True, they tend to not do that for governors unless the story is about a debate. I’m just glad that yet another rotten apple is getting trashed.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

Zerodash says:

Low society is the same way.  Look at all the devout Christian rednecks and white trash folk who are wife-beating, gay-hatin’, bar-fightin’, child abusin’ lowlifes.

Sinners pray the loudest.

zel says:

We should ship some of our disgraced politicians your direction once they get out of jail, that way you can sit back and have a good laugh 😛

I am a signature virus, please copy and paste me into your signature to help me propagate.

Darmoth says:

You mean that rule where most of the time news shows put either the (D) or the (R) after a politician’s name? I thought they only did that for senators and representatives?

Alex says:

"Only an idiot quotes himself."-Me.

I’m not under the affluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I am. I’m not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don’t know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the longer I get.

jds says:

Ha, ha, ha… If you don’t already understand the importance there’s no reason to explain it to you. And, it has nothing to do with divisiveness.

*edit*   –   That’s not intended to be a sleight at you, I hope you don’t take it as one.

. . Wisdom begins in wonder. – Socrates . .

ZippyDSMlee says:

One must remember the more corrupt high society( IE the part of society that leads the populace) the more moralistic they get.
    Pirates,Shearers,Lenders and downloaders are not a market that can be taped by the mainstream.
    I is fuzzy brained mew =^^=

hayabusa75 says:

No offense, because I like your quote, but don’t you think it makes you appear arrogant to have your signature be a quote from yourself?

"There is no sin except stupidity." – Oscar Wilde

Ambiguous says:

Yay!  Finally some internet "criticism" of Americans I actually don’t mind to hear, lol.  The internet hates us anymore Even though technically, you’re ‘American’ too, along with the Mexicans. It’s not like the US owns the whole continent, lol.

Krono says:

A corrupt politician, from Illinois…are we really that shocked?

Only by the shear brazenness of this particular politician. Blatantly shopping around for bribes for appointment to the US Senate is a new one. A bloody stupid one as well to do so when he know’s he’s under scrutiny.

Leet Gamer Jargon says:

Reporters should always list the party to which a politician belongs when they make the news. Even when the news is bad.

Game on, brothers and sisters.

T5 says:

A corrupt politician, from Illinois…are we really that shocked?  Of course im sorry for his  family though it sounds like his wife may have been in on it as well.

Forgot about his gaming connection, well done GP *Tips hat*

jds says:

This guy is a Democrat and a scumbag.

"I’ve got this thing and it’s f***ing golden, and, uh, uh, I’m just not giving it up for f***in’ nothing. I’m not gonna do it. And I can always use it. I can parachute me there," Blagojevich said in a phone call secretly recorded by the FBI on November 5, the day after the election, according to the affidavit. […]

The FBI affidavit said Blagojevich had been told by an adviser "the President-elect can get ROD BLAGOJEVICH’s wife on paid corporate boards in exchange for naming the President-elect’s pick to the Senate."

Told by two other advisers he has to "suck it up" for two years, the FBI says it heard Blagojevich complain he has to give this "motherf***er [the President-elect] his Senator. F*** him. For nothing? F*** him."

The Governor is heard saying he will pick another candidate "before I just give f***ing [Senate Candidate l] a f***ing Senate seat and I don’t get anything."

. . Wisdom begins in wonder. – Socrates . .

Benjamin_Snow says:

Oh, and about the Jack Thompson deal, I may have heard Blagojevich was speaking with him after the NIU school shooting.  I am going to check any sorces of that and come back with some more infomation

"We may be human, but we’re still animals" -Steve Vai (World’s greatest guita

zel says:

WTF?!?! where’s that story? O.o

C. Aaron Browbowski Jr. says:

you know what really grinds my axe for this type of scumbag? its not the fact that he tried to ban video games…. its rather the fact when he took $8 million from a children’s hospital to build a horse racing track… tell me that’s not despicable and i’ll show you a shitbag

Jesus Jack Jones Thompson…. is dead… (funeral udruge, followed by Celebrate 😀 )

Aliasalpha says:

Oh come on, that’s too easy. Sonic shoots about at high speed like a bullet out of a gun! If the link were any more obvious you wouldn’t need a crippling mental disability to see it.

DeepThorn says:

Dennis, could you add a comment in there about how the VT shooter never played video games please?  I just can’t stand an article that says anything about the VT shooting and video games and doesn’t mention that there is no evidence that he ever played the things, and that his roommates thought he was weird because he would never play with them because he thought video games were stupid.

Wow there is a lot of stuff about that kid online.  Only JT ever said anything about videos in high school form what I could find though.  Maybe he fabricated it to try to get the guy to shut up so he could get the rest of his point across, either way…  no evidence that this guy ever played video games.  Hell, even my friend that only played video games when he was younger and barely does now has Sims 2 on his computer.

Nido Web Flash Tutorials AS2 and AS3 Tutorials for anyone interested.
    How to set Xbox 360 Parental Controls

Benjamin_Snow says:

Since the city I live is boarderline to Blagojecvich’s state, I have been hearing of this news all morning, day, and night in all the local media outlets!  I can tell you right now, even St. Louisians don’t like this man, and he’s from Illinois!

I am so happy this man is exposed for the fake he is!   This calls for a celebration!

"We may be human, but we’re still animals" -Steve Vai (World’s greatest guitarist!)

MaskedPixelante says:

So, let me get this straight. Gamers are the absolute scum of the Earth… and the people who hate us are the ones who are crashing and burning.

I think the gods of gaming are finally fed up with all this nonsense.

—You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

DarkSaber says:

Anyone else hearing Penn & Teller in their head?

"And then there’s THIS asshole!"

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

TehChef says:

It is a delicious irony, you must taste it! Was GP ever able to find out what Thompson was asserting when he says that the video game industry lied in court?