Virtual World for Muslims Launches Beta

A virtual world aimed at Muslims living in the West is now in beta testing, reports the BBC.

Much like Second Life and, perhaps, PlayStation Home, Muxlim Pal allows users to create and evolve an online avatar.

Mohamed El-Fatatry, founder of, described the project:

We are not a religious site, we are a site that is focused on the lifestyle. This is for anyone who is remotely interested in the Muslim culture and the Muslim lifestyle.

From what we have seen from our market research is that most Muslims have a lifestyle that is not so different from everybody else. They all share the core values which are from Islam then beyond that they actually have made identities, they have many interests…

This [stage] is nowhere near the vision of where [Muxlim Pal] will be someday… It is very important to put things out and listen to how people interact with it. What feedback they give us and then that will play a big role in which direction we take the product in.

Muxlim Pal offers users 26 categories of content; only one is based on religion. The browser-based virtual world has a beach bar, arena and shopping.

nekusagi says:

I have a Muslim friend, and it is not about that at all. That’s simply the Muslim standard of modesty, and it has to do more with respecting the woman as a person and not focusing on their looks. It’s has nothing to do with the men being horndogs.

Research stuff before you generalize, mmmkay?

JustChris says:

Just think about it, a culture exists in that women are forced to dress a certain way because men want them in their pants. This humiliates the horndog victims more than the horndogs.

Spartan says:

Funny enough the "world" is already under massive attack! ARS has a story here.

I bet the beach area has some wonderful bikini – err  birkini fashons.

Then there is always the traditional style:

"The most difficult pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much and power over little" – Herodotus

Gift says:

Heh well, I kind of agree. However, I’m a scientist and I’ve got to tell you that I’d not describe race as particularly biologically well defined. Yes, we know about the handful of genes that contribute to skin colour, but that’s rather superficial against a background of tens of thousands of gene (some of which may or may not be have a racial association). The truth is we simply don’t know to what extent various alleles are associated with race, and nor are we likely to know for a while; it’s a politically and ethically fraught area of research.

Eitherway, I don’t think it matters much what anyone wants to call it, discrimination is based on a dislike of difference. The difference could be an arbitary phenotype (race), or unfamiliar culture (ethnicity/sect), the result is the same: irrational dislike.

insanejedi says:

I checked with my social teacher, he says it’s not racism. The proper term is discrimination. Racism is on the basis of more scientific and biological basis, and ethnicity is a group of people baised on a broder range such as race and culture. Being a muslim is being a part of a culture, therefore does not apply to racism.

Gift says:

Or we could settle for sectarianism, especially if we’re talking about discord between Abrahamic religions.

On a related note (regarding the aforementioned turbans(, afaik turbans don’t really have a religious association for muslims; rather they are cutural. Contrast that with the Sikh faith. I wonder where the mistaken meme arose from?

In anycase, social networking "games" bore the hell out of me, so I view this as a non-event. Not that I don’t wish them luck mind…

insanejedi says:

Actually I should never have started this all together. Define Race, and how does it differentiate from Ethnicity first?

Because Webster defines racism as…

1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

I don’t see anything where it pertains to any divisable group, and I don’t necessarly think if you point at say, gamers and think their a bunch of violent idoits is racism. Because by your definition "gamers" is a divisable group of people, therefore anyone saying anything bad about us is defined as racism. Your definition would water down any importance the term racism has, because the simple everyday student saying "I hate teachers" = Racism in that matter, because teachers is a divisable group.

By your definition…

Gamers=Divisable group

therefore anything bad or discrimitory against gamers=Racism

Low income families=Divisable group

Therefore anything bad or discrimitory against low income families=Racism

CEOs=Divisable group

therefore anything bad or discrimitory against CEOs=Racism

Who’s definition is flawed now?

And this brings up the whole question of, what is a race?

I also do not appreciate your additude towards me as I have clearly done nothing wrong, and have not intentionally insulted anyone. Calling me a Jackass and suggesting that I may not be properly adjusted seems like something Jack Thompson would probebly say.

Derovius says:

Using your flawed definition of race and racism, what the Germans did to the Jewish community wasn’t racist, Judaism is a religion right? Jackass.

Racism can be applied to the hatred of any divisible group, be it based on skin colour, nationality, ethnicity, religion, or otherwise. To say you hate Americans because they are stupid is racist, to say you hate Africans because they are stupid is racist, to say you hate Canadians because they talk funny is racist, ad nausem.

Do we need to continue or have you been properly adjusted?

insanejedi says:

Being a muslim is not being part of a race, it’s a religion.

Yes I get what your saying. And I’m not using it in a way that you think it is, it was ment more like mredria’s post.

mredria says:

I think what he means is that that’s what the 4chaners will call themselves. And others. It will be very unfortunate.

And it will be on youtube.

-I apologize-

mredria says:

It’s not that shopping is the boring part. It’s that it’s the ONLY part.

So, is there a pool on how long it will take for it to be trolled into the ground?

-I apologize-

nightwng2000 says:

"…and that does not include shopping for digital shoes. "

Yeah.  Shopping for shoes, shirts, pants, belts, and other wearable items in a game is absolutely no fun.  I mean, ya always gotta compare items that are priced right for the gold and silver you have on hand and… wait a minute.

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 has also updated his MySpace page: Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as

Corey says:

Ugh, these types of games are lame. Did anyone over there pay attention to how awful Second Life was? Gamers want something exciting to do in their games and that does not include shopping for digital shoes. But who knows, maybe it will be a hit. I have know idea what muslim people are in to.

GoodRobotUs says:

Must agree with you here, I’ve spent hours setting up and balancing my ship in Eve online, which isn’t a million miles from the same thing, admittedly, your config in Eve affects your performance, but it’s still based on a similar idea, that customisation and individuality are as important online as they are in real life.

GoodRobotUs says:

I dunno, personally these sort of environments are not my thing, but as long as it can be treated as a 2-way experience, not simply a promotional one, then it’s good to see any religion engaging with modern technology.

The hard part is not putting it forward as some kind of ‘sales pitch’, as the owner emphasises, the site is not religious, but if it can help even just a few people to understand points of view better, Muslims and non-Muslims, then maybe it will help in some small way.

That said, yes, it’ll probably just get griefed, which seems to be the fate of all well-intentioned community projects.