Disney Might Buy EA, Says Wall Street Journal

Has the hunter become the hunted?

Electronic Arts, which pursued GTA publisher Take-Two Interactive for much of 2008, may now be an acquisition target of Disney.

According to financial website The Motley Fool, the Wall Street Journal’s Heard on the Street column suggested yesterday that Disney might be eyeing EA. The WSJ apparently based their speculation on comments made by Disney’s Chief Financial Officer during a conference call on Tuesday. From the Fool:

Asked if Disney’s focus would be on developing in-house games over buying more developers, [CFO Tom] Staggs responded, "I don’t want you to conclude that those are in the long term mutually exclusive." He went on to say that a "strategic and attractive" purchase would be "a possibility" for the family entertainment giant.

Did he say Electronic Arts (Nasdaq: ERTS)? No. However, a combination of EA’s battered share price and Disney’s desire to ramp up its gaming presence dovetail nicely in the rumor mill.

The Motley Fool offers five reasons why a Disney takeover of EA makes sense:

• Disney has acquired game companies before (Avalanche Studios, Club Penguin)
  • EA Sports and Disney’s ESPN would have synergy
  • Disney’s MMOs haven’t worked out so far, but EA has Warhammer
  • Racing is a major theme is Disney’s films and parks; EA has Need For Speed
  • Convergence of Disney’s theme parks with EA’s strong IP

Still, The Motley Fool views the chances of a Disney-EA deal as slim. And, it’s pretty clear that, when it talks about acquisitions, family-friendly Disney isn’t thinking of Take-Two and GTA.

oto kirlama says:

I’m all for freedom of ttnet vitamin speech and allowing rent a car game makers to put whatever they want in games, but there’s one thing about this app that has me scratching my head.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but from araç kiralama the previous article araba kiralama on this I gathered that players can use Google maps in-game to find the other (real-life?) dealers in their area.  If this is the case, has travesti anyone considered what’s stopping someone from using this app to actually move drugs between hands for reals?

But majority araba kiralama of their outrage araç kiralama stems from what it could DO TO children, not the content itself.  Talk to one of these people and you’ll find they don’t think any books kiralık araba should be banned from children.  Mention American Psycho and they talk about kiralık araç the redeeming value of using imagination to construct a story.  Reading, no matter what the content, is largely viewed as a consequenceless activity for people of any age.  The reason why I mention American Psycho is because of the content itself.  Gaming never has and likely never will have any scenes where someone has sex with a severed head.  Not gonna happen.  Yet despite this, they’ll fight tooth and nail to protect their children from two boys kissing in Bully but whatever they read is harmless… yeah.

The entire arguement is kiralık oto based upon a social normality inflicted by luddites who can’t figure out the controls for Halo so it’s frightening and terrifying and obviously the cause of youth violence on the rise even though, in reality, it’s in decline (which is actually a HUGE suprise given minibüs kiralama the economies status).  In  a perfect world, we would have parents that actually parent.  The idea of sales restrictions on media on oto kiralama any form to accomidate parental unwillingness to get involved with their child’s life is the real problem to me.  Here I am, 32 years old, and being held up at a self-scan rent a car needing to show ID before I can buy a $10 M rated game all because Soccer Momthra can’t be bothered to look at the crap Billy Genericallystupidson does in his free time.  It’s too hard for her, so I have to suffer?

joeyvenom753 says:

please no disney. stick to your movies please. all of your games suck. please i don’t want some kiddy b*tch making

my fifa & need for speed. how about EA buying disney ?

Praetorian says:

This may be wrong in the long run, but only after Disney tries to make Grand Theft Steamboat where you are a rat that steals a riverboat by singing and dancing on to the bridge so Captain is forced to magically have a change of heart so he just gives up his ship. Then the rat leads the boat on a candy cane tossing voyage down the Missaloula River that looks oddly like a major river in the states where he proceeds to fight off soft shoe dancing spiders to keep the river safe while hugging girls for health.

Sounds like Disney would have their work cut out for them.

Maybe while they are at it, they can make us a "Jump to conclusions" mat.

"I’ve been told I’m the resident skeptic, but I wouldn’t believe that."

Darmoth says:

Not really his daughter… He took her in after her whole family was gunned down. The little girl (Natalie Portman) thought of Leon romantically.  She was 12… thus the "OMGWTFBBQ" on the hotel manager’s face.

nightwng2000 says:

Uh huh, see!  T2 wasn’t as stupid as some people thought when they didn’t take EA’s offer.

EA buys T2, then Disney buys EA, hence, Disney would own T2… and Rockstar.

See there?  Strauss ain’t dumb.  :)

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 has also updated his MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/nightwing2000 Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as http://groups.myspace.com/pfenl

Karsten Aaen says:

My only concern about this is about Bioware. I’m not that sure that Disney will let Bioware have the creative control they’re enjoying under JR’s leadership of EA. I could, of course, be wrong. I’m also not that sure that Disney would let Bioware write a side story for Mass Effect 2 or 3 that dealt with say abortion or have you gun down innocent or nearly innocent people, let alone forcing you to make very difficult decisions such as you have to do in Mass Effect.

On the other hand, the movie Leon was being published by Buena Vista Televion, Disney’s parent company? I think.
    I fail to see how this movie is family-friendly? OK, it is about a hitman and his daughter? and their relationsship, but still… On yet another note; the Witch in the original Snow White from 1937 is really, really evil….

On yet another note; Riccitiello clearly made a strategic bad business decision when he as CEO of EA bought Elevation Partners who owned Bioware and Pandemic Studios. I bet EA would be (more) happy right now, if they had some of that (cash) money laying around with which they bought Bioware and Pandemic; I sincerely hope this doesn’t mean that EA will be firing JR; if they do, I’m pretty sure that Bioware will be closed? or at least re-structured… As long as JR is with EA, JR is protecting Bioware from any harm. But what happens when he one day is gone ?

brucklorace says:

Wow… this would be horrible.

What kind of material would be put out by the company?

I too try to avoid Disney products.

Don’t do this, EA!

*mind is reeling*

Larington says:

This reads like speculation to me, of which there is more going on in relation to the Games Industry than I’m comfortable with right now. What we need is some stability, rather than more shotgun weddings wiping out more jobs.

Personal opinion, of course.

Sai says:

You really want to hear a long, long conversation between Mickey and Mario about Heartless, Cornerstones of Light, Keyblades, Castle Oblivion and all this crpytic psuedo-philosophical weirdness in their equally high pitched, squeaky voices?

That would be the most insane moment in an already completely insane game franchise.

Monte says:

Why would you want them to do that? i mean, despite its massive resources, Disney itself has done very little good in like that last 8 years or so… these days the best stuff that comes out of disney is just stuff that other people make but disney attaches themselves to, like the stuff made my Pixar. The age of great disney films pretty much ended with the 90’s with only a touch hear and there of anything good… Disney getting directly involved with game development would most likely be just extending their failures to the video game medium… i mean, the only reason Kingdom hearts worked out so well was because SquareEnix were the one’s actually handling the development

finaleve says:

From my understanding (mostly rumors), Disney actually proposed the idea of Kingdom Hearts to SE, and SE liked the idea and went with it.  I know that Disney isn’t the best developer so it was wise…

and if SE didn’t do it, I’m sure someone like Nintendo would pick it up…I an imagine Mario working with Mikey

VideolandHero says:

Yes they do.  I am hoping that since they are getting more involved in the gaming industry that they will get involved with game development also.

— Official Protector of Videoland!

finaleve says:

2 wrongs don’t make a right (but 3 rights make a left)

Or its a double negative…
    I hope that if they make a crap game (a month after merger), they realize how terrible they are and realize they need to get there crap together.

DeepThorn says:

Okay I see this working out many ways…

1. Disney destroying EA (Disney just eating up EA and doing to it what Disney and EA both normally do)
    2. EA destroying Disney (by them failing together and EA pulling a dirty deed to come back alive)

3. Them destroying each other (them just failing together, too much evil in one place…)
    4. Them destroying the media industry (poor quality, poor treatment of employees and consumers, encourage other companies to treat everyone like crap)

5. Them destroying customer rights and all means of ownership (advance what EA and ESA are already working on)
    6. Them turning into a living being which would be the Anti-Christ

7. Too much evil in one places creating a black hole that eats Earth
    8. Them over running the government with other CEOs and executive company people and turning the country to shit

9. Consumers mob Disney and EA because of being treated like shit, and destroy them both
    10. (Might be possible) Them merge and be found to be a monopoly and split back apart.
    11. And the least likely of them all…  Them getting their shit together and actually becoming a great trustworthy company that cares about their consumers

I really do not see a winning situation here.

Nido Web Flash Tutorials AS2 and AS3 Tutorials for anyone interested.
    How to set Xbox 360 Parental Controls

E. Zachary Knight says:

Hey, maybe EA will get a taste of their own medicine. Disney has a track record of destroying all it touches for the sake of profit. So does EA. They are the perfect match.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
    MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/okceca
    Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1325674091

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

DraginHikari says:

Isn’t Kingdom Hearts mostly in development by SquareEnix isn’t it?  Doesn’t Disney just offer the rights to use the characters and the rest of development is sololy SE?

Shadow D. Darkman says:

All I can say is this:

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

VideolandHero says:

This would be weird, but I hope this goes through, just to see what happens.  I do hope they do something more with Kingdom Hearts.

— Official Protector of Videoland!

Shadow D. Darkman says:

Why do you avoid them?

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

JC says:

I would take delight in seeing Mickey Mouse jerseys "unlocked" for Madden ’10 or w/e the hell they’ll call it. It would be hilarious on many fronts to see things get destroyed. I last recall Free Radical’s Timesplitters being published by EA last time though, so I’d die a little inside if they threw in Disney stuff on that before it is done >_>.

Brokenscope says:

You do realize that disney actually puts out alot of mature material right? None of its actually under the disney name. I doubt EA would actually have a name change.

Cheater87 says:

Disney and EA will be horrible. Mercs 3 will be NO MORE. OMG it has GUNS!!!!!! Disney quick replace the guns with happy kittens and the explosions with confettie.