Real-time Strategy May Be Anti-Aging Strategy

Researchers at the University of Illinois report that senior citizens who played the PC real-time strategy game Rise of Nations performed better in tests of cognitive function than a control group that did not play.

As reported by Physorg.com, researcher Chandramallika Basak, the study’s lead author, explained why RoN was selected:

[In Rise of Nations] you need merchants. You need an army to protect yourself and you have to make sure you’re spending some of your resources on education and food. This game stresses resource management and planning, which I think for older adults is important because many of them independently plan and manage their resources.

Test subjects who played the game showed significant improvement at switching between tasks, as well as gains in memory and reasoning. And, the more they played, the better they did.

15 comments

oto kirlama says:

I’m all for freedom of ttnet vitamin speech and allowing rent a car game makers to put whatever they want in games, but there’s one thing about this app that has me scratching my head.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but from araç kiralama the previous article araba kiralama on this I gathered that players can use Google maps in-game to find the other (real-life?) dealers in their area.  If this is the case, has travesti anyone considered what’s stopping someone from using this app to actually move drugs between hands for reals?

But majority araba kiralama of their outrage araç kiralama stems from what it could DO TO children, not the content itself.  Talk to one of these people and you’ll find they don’t think any books kiralık araba should be banned from children.  Mention American Psycho and they talk about kiralık araç the redeeming value of using imagination to construct a story.  Reading, no matter what the content, is largely viewed as a consequenceless activity for people of any age.  The reason why I mention American Psycho is because of the content itself.  Gaming never has and likely never will have any scenes where someone has sex with a severed head.  Not gonna happen.  Yet despite this, they’ll fight tooth and nail to protect their children from two boys kissing in Bully but whatever they read is harmless… yeah.

The entire arguement is kiralık oto based upon a social normality inflicted by luddites who can’t figure out the controls for Halo so it’s frightening and terrifying and obviously the cause of youth violence on the rise even though, in reality, it’s in decline (which is actually a HUGE suprise given minibüs kiralama the economies status).  In  a perfect world, we would have parents that actually parent.  The idea of sales restrictions on media on oto kiralama any form to accomidate parental unwillingness to get involved with their child’s life is the real problem to me.  Here I am, 32 years old, and being held up at a self-scan rent a car needing to show ID before I can buy a $10 M rated game all because Soccer Momthra can’t be bothered to look at the crap Billy Genericallystupidson does in his free time.  It’s too hard for her, so I have to suffer?

oto kirlama says:

janarius says:

There’s another interesting article from one of the authors (see Arthur F. Kramer of Illinois University; The effects of video game playing on attention, memory and executive control) I started reading it. Comparing the two articles at first glance, looks like there’s a developmental difference on the effects of video games between the elderly and young adults.

MrKlorox says:

The resource development and management along with the base building aspects turn me away from the RTS genre. I’m partial to World in Conflict where there is no base building or resource gathering (unless you count doing secondary objectives as gathering resources). However I don’t mind that aspect of TBS games like Civilization. But the "think on your feet" mentality of the RTS genre is probably also a beneficial factor that deep turn-based games don’t offer.

Azhrarn says:

Have to agree with Krit on this, a game like StarCraft where micro-management of all your units special abilities and movement can be the key to victory compared to for instance Supreme Commander, where you essentially just set up a base, churn out units and buldozer the enemy with many of the units special options and even small scale maneuvering is done by the AI.
    Supreme Commander gives you more a  "the big picture" view of a battle (with hundreds of units, if your PC can handle them), while StarCraft focusses on relatively small groups of units.

Both are a lot of fun, but in terms of the level of multi-tasking StarCraft is much harder than Supreme Commander.

ZippyDSMlee says:

SC and WC2 are evil no other RTS I have played was as fun or intense.

BTW its rather simple to translate core RTS controls to a game pad with more than 10 buttons and refine it with customizable control options its just the RTS market is frowned on like RPGs once were and no one wants to risk porting it over.

=================================
    Pirates,Shearers,Lenders and downloaders are not a market that can be taped by the mainstream.
    ———————————
    I is fuzzy brained mew =^^=

Haggard says:

Well, I always found RTSes ridiculously complex and difficult, so I guess if it excercises my brain that much it’s probably as good for you as a game of sudoku or some maths excercises.