Defense Blames Game Addiction in Shooting of Parents by Teen

On Monday GamePolitics noted that a 17-year-old boy was on trial in an Ohio courtroom for shooting his parents after they banned him from playing Halo 3.

A local Ohio newspaper is now reporting that defense attorneys are basing Daniel Petric’s defense on video game addiction. According to the Chronicle-Telegram:

“Danny was very mild and meek,” said his paternal grandfather, Michael Broeckel, who [testified] that Daniel was a normal teenager, albeit one addicted to video games.

Holly Petric, Daniel’s other sister, said her brother became obsessed with video games because of a back injury which… limited his physical activity… the infection was so severe that any extreme physical activity could have caused his spine to snap, leaving him paralyzed.

“He’d just play (video games) nonstop whenever he could,” Holly Petric said.

[Daniel’s friend] Jon Johnson… said he and Daniel would play video games, particularly “Halo 3,” up to 18 hours a day.

Jon said that while he liked video games, Daniel was addicted, even going so far as to push his friends to play the games when they wanted to do something else.

The case is expected to wrap up today. The Cleveland Plain Dealer has additional coverage.

UPDATE: The Chronicle-Telegram reports that Petric’s attorney argued this morning that the teen’s supposed obsession with Halo 3 contributed to rendering him insane at the time of the shootings:

Daniel Petric’s attorney argued this morning that his client should be found not guilty by reason of insanity for the shooting death of his mother and wounding of his father last year in part because the 17-year-old was obsessed with the video game “Halo 3.”

James Kersey said Daniel, who is being tried as an adult, went looking for the sci-fi video game, not his father’s 9 mm handgun on Oct. 20, 2007. The boy’s parents, Sue and Mark Petric, had taken the game away from the boy less than a month before the shootings.

132 comments

BrandonL337 says:

Bullshit

hate for those groups stem from religion

many Atheists are the way they are because of that very fact

There have always been motherf*ckers, there will always be motherf*ckers, but what we can’t do is let them control our motherf*cking lives. -John Oliver, December 1st, 2008

Glasofruix says:

I’ve never said the american government should ban all fire arms, but put at least a harder gun control on motion (ie no automatic rifles for every one)

Hitodama says:

Seem’s your too far gone. Well, good luck with that.

Banning all firearms would increase their worth on the blackmarket and ensure that they are exclusivly in the hands of the goverment or criminals. As I said, this is a nation of the people. Not of the goverment. All systems fail eventually.

Glasofruix says:

We’re called a union. We have european tribunals and laws regarding all sort of matters. We have a common monetary unit. So, going on "i’m the king of the hill" policy would really hurt. The system works fine without the need of an atomic arsenal in everyone’s basement.

Good Lord says:

Yeah, it must be those dirty liberals. It couldn’t be defense lawyers doing what defense lawyers do, which often involves stretching the truth or flat out lying to save their client… Heavens to Betsy, what will those liberals think of next?!

It’s a good thing we’ve got you around to call them on their misdeeds!

Baruch_S says:

Wow, can you maybe respect the man’s hobby like a mature individual? He’s not hurting anyone by responsibly owning and caring for his guns. Maybe we should get JT in here to tell you that your stupid video game habit is what’s causing all the world’s crime. He’d be just as right as you are.

Baruch_S says:

Yeah, because international organizations do so much good. Ever heard of a place called Darfur? What a about a group of people called the Kurds? Do you know how World War II started? International agencies are a joke because the governments of the countries that make them are a joke. Gathering large groups of people from different backgrounds and countries together leads to more infighting than anything.

You say the elites will think twice, but what about when the elites are doing something wrong back have the support of the army? Are you going to try to decapitate the prime minister while he’s got a squadron of men with automatic rifles?

Face it, a revolution needs a bite, and that bite is provided by fire arms. Or you can let yourself be brainwashed into a nice 1984-style government. That’s your choice.

NovaBlack says:

um am i missing something?

i thought initial reports said he hadnt even had chance to play halo 3, that hed asked his parents who said no he couldnt have it, bought it anyway, but then had it confiscated?

If he didnt play it.. how can he be addicted to playing it?

Glasofruix says:

Basically nothing within the country but there IS something outside, it’s called the international right and its fairly strong in the european union. We’re not supposed to obey unconstitutionnal orders. And oh, the last time it happened in France and they decapitated their king, so the elites will think twice before they do something stupid.

SimonBob says:

Traffic actually flows nicely when the weather’s okay, like it is today.  Tomorrow’s "perfect storm" forecast has me worried tho.  I live on the route that the number 7 normally uses, and the plows apparently use the same schedule whether the buses are striking or not, so my street will be nice and clear but there’ll be a massive snow fortification blocking me by the time I get home (assuming someone doesn’t rear-end me on the parkway.)

Actually, the whole thing reminds me of the contract negotiation minigame in ThemePark, where you have to get the union to shake hands before all the cookies on the table are eaten.  Seems like the city pulled their hand back just as they got down to the last bite.

The Mammon Industry

Austin_Lewis says:

I collect class III firearms.  I enjoy having a full armory, plus occasionally I teach shooting classes when my business slows down to give me something to do.  Also, the M14 or M1A is a semi automatic rifle or ‘AR’, the SAA is a revolver, and the 1911 is John Browning Moses’ gift to the world.

Hitodama says:

Hahaha. You don’t get it, huh? Self-defense from would be assailants is there, but mainly it’s for self-defense from a potentially oppresive goverment! If we, the people, decide that a revolution is in order, it’d be nice if someone other than the goverment had weapons. This is a country for the people and by the people, and if anyone ever tries to take that away, it’s our right to fix the problem.

Also, murder is already illegal, so that’s coverd. Kill them with a gun, knife, or bulldozer? All the same.

Glasofruix says:

You seem to have missed a point, in a real democracy people do revolution through their vote when they elect a president or a goverment, not when they shoot at each other.

Glasofruix says:

It’s simple, we don’t have the reason to be affraid of anyone here. Robbers? They prefer to break in a house when nobody’s there, less risky (and people who fear that, they have a dog). Terrorists? We’re not at war with Irak. The only ones that carry weapons here are cops.

Glasofruix says:

And this is for self defense purpose only? Maybe i can’t tell the difference between two automatic rifles, but why i should know it? I mean i’m not in the army and wielding a gun able to perform many cheese holes in somebody in less than a second is kind of stupid if you point out the self defense argument…

Austin_Lewis says:

I have an Automatic weapon in my house…. but it’s locked up in the gun cage with all my other rifles.  Plus I paid that 200 dollar tax stamp and 400,000 total for the few I have.

But let’s be fair my good man, most people in foreign countries can’t tell the difference between a 1911, an SAA, and an M1A.

nickcompoop says:

First of all, it may be liberals who think that everyone is a victim, but by no means can the conservatives be excluded from the cuase of video game crusufiction. Fox News started the bandwagon of video game hate and has not passed up anything related to video games.

I agree that all this is stupid, he is clearly to blame for his own actions, but I believe your anger is misplaced at liberals when it should be directed toward the media in general.

— Homicide-free gamer since 1981

nickcompoop says:

Reasons he shot his parents:

1. He was stuck in bed for a year.

2. His parents took away his only enterntainment

3. His friends pissed him off becuase they wanted to go play sports and he couldn’t

4. He was already messed up

5. He lives in Ohio

— Homicide-free gamer since 1981

FlakAttack says:

Forgive me for this, but this whole far-left liberal movement of EVERYONE being victims of something, be it ADHD or temporary insanity, is the cause for this stupidity. This guy deserves to go to jail for what he did. YOU JUST DON’T SHOOT PEOPLE. For someone brought up in a religious family, I’m sure there was no misunderstanding about that part of society, but, of course, the "HURR GAMES MAKE KIND, GENTLE MEN INTO PSYCHOPATHIC MURDERERS " crowd gets more say.

I noticed someone up there who is Canadian and mentioned a transit strike. OCTranspo strike affecting you too? I literally can’t get to work. I can just feel the symptoms of cabin fever setting in. Don’t worry, I’m not going to kill anyone. I’ll tell you though, watching the people across the street shovel their driveway everyday reminds me of the Greek story of Sisyphus; the guy who was doomed to spend all eternity pushing a rock up a hill, only to have it fall back down and he’d have to do it again. You shovel, snow falls/plow covers the entrance to your drive, you shovel again, etc.

TJLK says:

Problem here isn’t guns or religion.  It is bad parenting and a poorly stored firearm in a house with children/teens.  They have locks for guns, they have safes for guns, they have all kinds of devices for gun safety.  People just don’t know how to responsibly own a fire arm, especially around children.  Kids will find it, but its your job to make sure they can’t use it when they do.

Why do people always look down upon gun owners?

I agree with EZK here, it isn’t any particular group and individual instances like this shouldn’t ever be seen as such.

Brokenscope says:

I’m really glad I don’t live where you live because I rather enjoy being able to carry my swiss army knife with me.

I also find it amazing that crime is never an issue till after you have been mugged or someone tries to break into your home while you were there.

Also, learn the difference between an M-16 and an AR-15, or are you convinced that everyone here has automatic weapons under their beds?

TJLK says:

Maybe he should have been a better parent and perhaps properly stored his firearm.  Guns aren’t bad, people who don’t know how to use/store/operate guns are.

TJLK says:

I don’t think an addiction to gaming or cabin fever should be too much of a factor in determining guilt or punishment.  He still picked up a gun and killed his parents.  It wasn’t a freak accident it was him getting the gun and using it to kill his parents.  If he does have an ‘addiction’ to gaming or did infact suffer from what many know as cabin fever then that should be important in his treatment while he is in a correctional facility(unless death penalty applies which is an entirely different argument).

People absolutely LOVE being the victim.  Once they attach addict to their name they suddenly play the victim roll easily.  Oddly enough people buy into this theory that the addict is the victim.  It takes a truely weak mind to play the victim card by using any kind of addiction as their defense.  Only in freakishly odd circumstances are addicts actually victims.  People have to start taking responsibility for their actions and also start expecting others to do the same.

Either way I still can’t say that I should have too much of a say or too much of an opinion on the way the state of Ohio chooses to deal with murderers.  Maybe as an American citizen I have a little bit of a say but not really compared to a citizen of the state of Ohio.  If this were to happen in another country, I’d be a fool to have a strong opinion on the matter because it really wouldn’t apply to my life at all.

I really dislike these people that advocate the idea that video games are truely addictive.  I don’t hate them, but I do dislike them and their theories.  Sorry if that upsets you but their theories are so obviously flawed it becomes safe to assume they are either lacking intelligence, are being mislead or have malicious intent.  Under their theories anything can be addictive… Trouble is the ones I read on don’t tend to support the theory that anything can be addicting.  Interesting enough many of these former ‘addicts’ get over their ‘addiction’ by turning to religion and getting very heavily involved in it.  Which is cool, if you want to spend your life dedicated to your religion of choice then more power to you.  But at the same time you’re claiming video gaming is addictive because you want to play them for X amount of hours per week and it effects your actually life.  Couldn’t you say the same thing about religion?  Reading?  History/Discovery channel?  Playing guitar?  Watching sports? Spending 80 hours a week on anything besides work will effect your career.  I’m not saying any of these things are bad… but at the same time you can use their same theories about video games and apply it to them just as easily.  The fact that people don’t see this baffles me.

Nekowolf says:

Really? I would’ve thought in some ways, a large knife would be more dangerous, consider it’s slashing as it penetrates, cutting muscles, arteries, veins, nerves, whatever *aside from bone* which the body would have had a harder time to heal. I mean, aren’t those close to the skin?

But I only know of basic biology, so I’m far from expert on such things.

Oh well, anyway, the overall point being, if someone wants to kill someone, they’ll find a way to do it with what they can get.

fozzy360 says:

Wait, wait, wait….he went looking for the game found the gun instead, and then decided to shoot his parents because he was insane from playing Halo 3 nonstop?

Does anyone else find this argument idiotic, or am I interpreting this wrong?

——————————————————-

"We received 20 calls last night. As we all know, one call equals a billion people. So 20 billion people called us last night. We must act to preserve decency on television." -The FCC

E. Zachary Knight says:

The statistic wasn’t meant to be accurate, it was meant to make a point. By generalizing all Christians as gun toting psychopaths is just as stupid as generalizing all gamers as gun toting psychopaths.

There are also plenty of Athiests who advocate irradicating religion. There are also athiests who advocate violence against liberals, gays, Muslims books, Jews etc etc.

Your arguments could be applied to any group of humanity regardless of religious affiliation and still be just as accurate.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
    MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/okceca
    Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1325674091

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

BrandonL337 says:

Well there are plenty of other that advocate violence such as against gays or abortion clinics or Muslims or Atheists or books or liberals or the Olympics or Jews or Obama.

also i think your statistic is bullshit, provide source

Glasofruix says:

Yeah, small hole from the outside… But in the inside your organs might be torn apart by the bullet, the bullet creates a cavity which quickly fills with body fluids (if your stomach is pierced you’re done), the bullet can also go to an arteria and go to the heart.

Glasofruix says:

Well, maybe it was a little bit too caricatural but for the most part american people are seen here exactly as i described (i mean here in Europe). The whole thing of having guns for self defense sounds shitty to me, self defense against who? Terrorists? Communists? Or maybe scout girls selling cookies? I’ve seen a video with a little girl assembling an M16 in less than a minute, her father was really proud, that thing really scared me.

We don’t have guns here and at least we know that there’s no idiots with guns down the street (oh, wait, there are idiots down the street, but they’re just idiots) when we go out for a walk and there’s no cases involving guns and children, we’re not even allowed to have a swiss knife in the pocket…

Kalerender says:

Gunshot.

Generally causes the body to go into shock and die. Knife wounds are far more treatable by basic first aid and unless they hit a vein/artery, which outside the neck require some training/purpose to cut well unlike the blind stabbing off a suprised invader, generally aren’t dangerously lethal, giving plenty of time for EMT’s to arrive.

Slashing also generally doesn’t penetrate deeply through the fat/muscle layers to reach organs unless you know what you’re doing, it doesn’t look pretty ugly and bleeds a bit and could definately kill you over time, but a single slash isn’t going to cause all your innards to fall out half chopped like popular media tries to make you believe,

Multiple stab wounds with no treatment will mess you up though. But so will multiple gunshots.

Nekowolf says:

And you better be damned sure they WILL kill you. Then you can only injury them; god forbid you accidentally kill them, then you’re on trial for manslaughter.

I have to admit, and I said it earlier, I’m anti-gun, I am. But I try to look at it rationally. Like, we can’t really ban them, because even if we did, it’d be like in the U.K.; violence with another easily-available weapon would increase substantially, probably knives.

And honestly, I question which is more lethal, a gunshot or a knife stab. A gun has better penetration, but it’s a small hole from a standard gun. But a knife, there’s all the slashing involved, cutting up several organs and the likes. *shrugs* I honestly wonder which has a higher survivability.

Nekowolf says:

Sorry, I’m not a fan of guns, but even your assessment is just over the top. Yes, they were religious, but for this case, there was no "bible thumping" because, although they could’ve taken the game away for religioius reasons (possibly), that’s not really "bible thumping." And there was no "gun fixation" because, as far as I can tell, this isn’t a gun issue. It just happened to be with the game, so the kid grabbed it. But if he wanted his parents dead, he could have killed them with any number of objects, the most likely second choice being ordinary kitchen knives.

I could pretty much rearrange the whole situation. Make them athiest and no gun at all. And the outcome could still be the same; he killed his parents.

zel says:

#1 you actually can’t shoot anyone that steps foot on your property unless you can show beyond doubt that they were a real threat to you or your family. For instance if they were running away and you shot them in the back, your ass is going to jail. I had a co-worker who related a story to me about his aunt. Her husband had gotten into a verbal fight with some guy in the front yard and they got into a fist fight. The other guy got on top of him and was beating him over and over. She freaked out and went inside and got a gun and shot the man that was beating her husband to near death. The man died and she went to jail because she didn’t try to call the cops and the man didn’t have a weapon of any kind, only used his fists (this was back before 2000 and in florida). Personally I think that would be justified considering its entirely possible to kill someone with your bare hands but apparently she went to jail for several years.

#2 the right to bear arms isn’t a bad thing, and just because you own a gun doesn’t make you some crazy person out to kill everyone you possibly can. Yes there are crazy people like this, but thats the minority, and those people are crazy anyways.

#3 being a pastor doesn’t mean you have jedi powers to defend yourself with, and also doesn’t mean you’ve taken some kind of non-aggression vow where you’ll just up and let someone attack/kill you.

————————————

I am a signature virus, please copy and paste me into your signature to help me propagate.

Baruch_S says:

Wow, way to not read the article or know anything about US laws. Just FYI, you cannot shoot anyone who steps on your property and get away with self-defense. This is the country where a robber can sue the homeowner if he gets injured breaking into the house. If you shoot someone, you’d better make sure they’re facing you and in your house when you do it.

As for why the priest (I believe he would probably go by "pastor" or "reverend" since he’s Baptist) owns a gun, he probably owns it for the same reason anyone else does: self-defense. Just because he’s a preacher doesn’t mean he has to let dangerous people come into his house to threaten him and his family.

finaleve says:

Okay he was homebound.  How was he able to play Halo 3?  If he has a 360 and a friend came over, I’d understand, but eventually the father would have noticed and possibly kicked the friend out of the house for playing such a game in his household, though just an observation.

If the kid would play the game for 18 hours a day…when did he go to school?  When did he spend time with his family?  I’m probably just not following this story right.

Cerabret100 says:

wow…soap operas…that’s rough, i’d consider that a death sentence.

whenever my mom gets sick of me being in the same room, she turns on her favorite soap, it’s like sunlight to a vampire.

Glasofruix says:

They should blame that stupid amendment that grants people to hold enough fire arms to start the next world war by themselves… Not very surprising for a country where every moron can shoot his neighbor in the ass because he set foot in his property and then pretend self-defense. By the way, why does a priest hold a gun? Isn’t he supposed to "spread love" or some crap like that?

Baruch_S says:

Exactly. I have a friend who was homeschooled for a year because of health issues. He got through Knights of the Old Republic 2 in three days and then replayed two or three times because he had nothing to do. Everyone else was at school, so he played video games all day. He also got rather frustrated with his parents (being stuck in an apartment with just your parents for 9 months will do that), and he only saw his friends on the weekends.

This kid was in a similar situation. He probably had virtually no social interaction since he was stuck in his house, and his health problem limited what he could do even when he did have friends over. There wasn’t much else for him to do except maybe read a book.

Take a lack of social interaction compounded with frustration with his parents, toss in a little bit of mental instability (yeah, it’s not in the article, but I think it’s safe to assume someone who did what he did has psychological problems), and you’ve got yourself a recipe for murdering parents over a stupid dispute.

zel says:

I agree, thats 100% the point i’m trying to make too. I’ve been there once and i couldn’t play my PC games cause i had to lie down, it sucked so bad I watched soap operas cause thats all that was on, it was sad.

————————————

zel says:

Seconded, lets not try to increase or justify ignorance.

————————————

Baruch_S says:

No, I think the real problem here is that the kid is completely off his rocker. He tried to kill his parents and make it look like a murder-suicide. Christians, rednecks, and gun owners generally don’t try to blow away their parents. Insane people, on the other hand, have been known to try stuff like that.

Some friendly advice: don’t instantly jump to the conclusion that the problem is based on religion. That’s just as bad as baselessly blaming video games for everything, and we all know how absurd that is.

But I will agree that his church sounds more than a little on the wacky side. Faith healing and Rapture theology always look a little bit fishy.

zel says:

I’m Christian, and i believe in the right to own guns, have a few myself, and yet when i broke my knee i didn’t flip out and kill people. Simon is right, lets not run around trying to blame a religion, hobby, music, or anything else of the kind. It’s makes you no better than the people who blame video games.

Humans in general have a proven track record of going batshit crazy, across the board. They can be Christian, Muslim, Atheist, whatever.

We have no idea how restrictive they were with him, or how they treated him so lets not make assumptions that just because they were religious, THAT had to be the problem. Owning a gun doesn’t make you a redneck either, not sure where in this story he suddenly became a redneck O.o

————————————

Cerabret100 says:

“He’d just play (video games) nonstop whenever he could,” Holly Petric said.

If he had such an injury, what the hell was he supposed to do other than play video games? If physical activity could leave you paralyzed, i’m pretty sure you’d latch on to anything to entertain yourself without risk.

E. Zachary Knight says:

Proven track record? How is that? Are you saing that out of the 100s of millions of Christians on this planet that when less than .000001% of them go nuts and kill people, that is a proven track record?

You’re just as ignorant as exgamerdotnet.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
    MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/okceca
    Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1325674091

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

Bennett Beeny says:

Well, the thing is, bible-loving gun nuts have a proven track record of going crazy and killing folks.  Game players do not.  I just think it’s wise, if blame is going to be passed around, to put it where it most likely belongs.

Derovius says:

Atleast they found the rock’n’roll music and comic books innocent. It would have been a true miscarriage of justice if  they were wrongfully convicted of making crazy-kid crazy.

SimonBob says:

But he wasn’t just a redneck bible-thumping gun-loving nutjob; he was a redneck bible-thumping gun-loving nutjob who played video games!  And also liked snowboarding.  And probably enjoyed some brand of music or other, I don’t know.  Do we really want to play the "which part of our objectionable society made him do this" game?  It’s just as bad to blame religion or class as it is to blame gaming.

The Mammon Industry

Bennett Beeny says:

The real problem here was not ‘videogame addiction’ or ‘cabin fever’.  The real issue here is fundamentalist Christian gun nuts.  That’s what we’re dealing with here, but no one seems to be able to see it.  This was a kid, deeply involved in church and shooting.  I mean is it really surprising that yet another redneck bible thumping nutjob with a gun fixation has gone apeshit?

This kid’s church is called ‘The New Life Assembly of God’ – a fundamentalist baptist church whose four main tenets include faith healing and The Rapture.

SimonBob says:

Eh, you’re both sort of right.  I cobbled together my spirituality from a variety of sources, mostly because I couldn’t figure out how to slot myself in with an established system (the "any club that would have me" mentality) but also partly so I could make smart remarks. 😀

The Mammon Industry

nightwng2000 says:

No, I had the wrong state (but I think that’s understandable since Colorado and Nebraska both suffered a number of shootings over the past couple of years (and this shooting I’m thinking of was last year (time files!))).

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 has also updated his MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/nightwing2000 Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as http://groups.myspace.com/pfenl

BrandonL337 says:

I think you are refering to the Unitarian church shooting the gunman wanted to kill "Liberals and Gays" (the unitarian church is very accepting and inclusive and therfor liberal)

Many hard-core right wing christian groups said he was an Atheist that wanted to kill christains

go further right and they say that he was an Atheist that wanted to kill christians but instead killed Unitarians, who aren’t True Christians(tm) due to their tolerance

go even further right to the nutcase Phelps crowd and you get people praising him for killing "liberals and gays"

Neeneko says:

Not surprising in the least.

Over the last 30 years there have been many churches that have reacted to the new liberalism in the US (such as equal rights for women, protection for gays, etc) by swining as far as they can the other way.. since it is a pretty new movement (many are new converts or born agains who are building a structure from the ground up) they haven’t really worked out how to raise their kids in it and you are ending up with a lot of really damaged children coming out of these communities who have seroius trouble coping with, well, anything.

In most cases the parents did NOT have this strict upbrining themselves and are just sorta making it up as they go along.

Neeneko says:

Actually I have seen ‘think of the children’ when it comes to teaching religion.  While rare, it is not unheard of for child custody cases to take one of the parent’s non-christian religion into account and award the children to the other parent under the idea that teaching something non-mainstream is harmfull to the child.

nightwng2000 says:

Yeah, I remember seeing that.

Interestingly enough, there was another shooting earlier this year(?) where a young man shot up a church.  GP carried the story because the guy’s Parents had been heavily religiously strict and didn’t allow their child access to ANY "pop culture" media.  Supposedly, they were rather religiously strict in other areas and tended to be verbally and mentally abusive to him for many years.  There were a LOT of details, including online comments by him that showed his backlash to the religious movements.  Both in regards to his Parents and to a religious Youth Movement which rejected him for some reason.

After the shooting, the religious order tried to shift the blame to his "Anti-Christian" attitudes, rather than their own strict religious beliefs and treatment of him.  Kinda hard to be against a Parent who raises their own child a certain way, following in their own beliefs.  After all, it sucks to be a kid.  But then, they didn’t take responsibility for how they raised him.  They just sought out scapegoats to blame for his actions.

I think this was a Nebraska church group where this occurred.  I’ve got a lot of catching up to do, so I can’t Google it right now.

But yeah, very similar in the area of avoiding responsibility for their own actions in raising him (whether people preceive their actions as "good" or "bad", they still aren’t taking responsibility for those actions and all the agenda seekers are doing the same thing).

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

Hitodama says:

8,619,132,895 = like 6.5 billion dead Grunts. Multiplayer kills wouldn’t be counted in that. That’s how many Covenant have been killed since Halo 3’s Campaign was being played on live.

Lucid says:

Considering Bungie have the UNSC Campaign kill count which stands at 8,619,132,895 at the time of writing, I think it would be genocide.

Although, you could dicard the kills made by players using Elites. And hey, a lot of that is Spartan vs. Spartan, so would that be some form of assisted suicide?

Nekowolf says:

Video games mass kill people -> mass killing people is genocide -> Master Chief is a game character, so -> Master Chief commits genocide

I think that’s what he’s getting at (the person above you). Am I right?

TJLK says:

I’d rather see a post-sentencing psychiatric assessment.  That way justice is served and the criminal receive treatment while serving his time in a correctional facility.

A pre-sentencing psychiatric assessment will allow the criminal to play the victim card in the attempt to receive less time in a correctional facility.

nightwng2000 says:

Manipulation of the facts by biased "professionals" makes for great sensationalism… and great junk science that won’t help ANYONE.

The defense can find their own "expert".

The Prosecution can find their own "expert".

The court can even find their own "expert".

And it’s rare that they will reach a consensus.  Even the court’s own "expert" can’t be totally reliable.

The impact of the mental health profession on the legal system tends to have little to nothing to do with either justice or helping the accused, contrary to popular belief.

One could argue obvious important situations where a mental health professional could make fair and important statements regarding either the plaintiff or defendant.  But, for the most part, the "expert" is used to justify, rather than explain, the actions of the plaintiff.

There is a big difference between "This plaintiff has a mental illness which makes their ability to tell the difference between ‘right’ and ‘wrong" and "this person was exposed to <media product/brainwashed by unscrupulous individuals/etc> so what they did wasn’t their fault, it was <scapegoat’s> fault".

Not to mention a lack of consistancy.  "Video games made me do it!  God says they are evil!"  "Oh, it’s the fault of video games!" vs "God told me people like that should be killed!" "Oh, you’re nuts!  You mental health help!"

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

zel says:

I doubt it would bother anyone. The issue at had is your presumption that its a gaming illness that can be treated as opposed to the more obviously glaring issue at hand, his injury that took away an activity he was apparently really into and so were his friends. Yet you come in here and suddenly talk about how its a gaming illness that needs to be treated with medicine or some such crap, you expected people to welcome you with trumpet sound and rainbows? some confetti maybe for your amazing insight?

————————————

Hitodama says:

At least you have snow and ice! All I get is really cold autumn! The one time I saw snow on the ground was in ’07 when I was visiting up north. T-T

It is currently 70°F here with a Humidity of 70%.

Hannah says:

We have a few inches right now and the buses are all running late.  And I keep hearing people complain about how incredibly cold it is.  A couple of days ago, it was even down to -5C!  Or maybe it was -7.  Either way, not cold, and right now it’s a mild -2.  I am enjoying it immensely.

Hannah says:

*looks out the window*

Snow?  Check.  Ice?  Check.  Moose?  Well… I don’t see any, but maybe they’re hiding in the snow.

Oh, and I live in Vancouver, a city that enjoys pretty much the mildest winter weather Canada has to offer.

Meggie says:

I had a similar experience in high school, I had to spend two weeks immobilized in a bed due to back surgeries (I couldn’t even get up to take a walk). Lucky for me the hospital has an N64 on a cart and I was able to play a little bit each day. It was a painful experience, both physically and emotionally (withdrawal since I had a bad reaction to morphine), and video games helped me escape my situation, even just for a little while.

It’s possible he had untreated emotional issues outside of addiction, I know I had mild PTS and insomnia following my situation.

LAG - Law Abiding Gamer says:

Easy tigers.  Looking at the links that this poster included in their post, I’m inclined to believe that this is a tongue-in-cheek "Post of Irony(tm)".

But, I may be wrong of course.

***Homicide-free video gaming since 1972!***

zel says:

ya totally a gaming addiction, had nothing to do with the sudden change in his life where he could no longer do the activity he liked the most, snowboarding, which is how he got hurt to begin with….

Some people have a hard time coping with that kind of thing. we have no idea what drove him to that point and he definitely needs to be examined but to pin it on gaming addiction when there was clearly a more serious change in his life is stupidity.

————————————

SimonBob says:

I’m guessing the assessment will come back saying that Daniel’s mind was affected by his newly limited mobility and homebound state.  That’ll prove video games were a symptom here, not a cause.

But you’re right about the opportunity this presents: it’s an opportunity to examine the care of injured and recovering persons, and how to manage that care so they don’t go crazy.

The Mammon Industry

Austin_Lewis says:

Aren’t you Canadian?

Have you never heard of Cabin Fever?  Seriously, I’d think you people would get more snow than the rest of us, and I’ve been snowed into a house before (in Utah).  Cabin Fever is a slang term for the claustrophobic reaction from being isolated or shut in any space (no matter how big the home/hotel, you can still get cabin fever.  Think the shining).  One of the most common symptoms is irritablity.  Of the more uncommon symptoms, increased aggression and hatred for whomever put you in your isolation have occurred (IE when he was left in his room for weeks on end with nothing constructive to do). I’m sure that being laid up from a snowboarding injury can cause a lot of aggression.

The medical profession won’t recognize video game addiction because it’s a crock of shit, just like they don’t treat people in hospitals with scientology because its BULLSHIT.  The only places that are picking it up seem to be places of poor academic standing looking to make money off of jackasses like yourself.

Of course, way to, as always, gloat over the dead.

nightwng2000 says:

Yes, we must not miss out on misinforming, lying to, deceiving the general public to make false and fraudlent claims so that we can use the tragedies of others to push our personal agendas about not liking certain things and therefore NO ONE else should like them either because WE are the morally superior to everyone else.  Even if OUR version of "morality" includes lies and deceit.

Tell ya what, Sparky, the next time someone claims "God made me do it", I’ll use YOUR argument that things we are exposed to are to blame for our actions.  So we must "protect the children!" from the horrid, evil, religious people of the world.

Or, let’s go one even further.  We’ll identify you, have the police smash down your door, go through EVERYTHING you own, follow you everywhere you go, watch everything you do, and when we discover things YOU like that we can label as "addictive" or "harmful", we demand it be banned and YOU be held responsible for EVERY ACTION that those things can be even vaguely linked to.

Think I’m being irrational?  Then you haven’t got clue number one about history.  Whether it’s a variety of music, written literature of all types, beliefs, or any number of other things, individuals, organizations, and politicians alike have sought, and in many cases have succeeded, in labeling things "harmful" and have had those things banned (even in some small way) or had them considered criminal to possess.  Indeed, many corrupt, dishonorable, unethical mental health professionals have labelled many such things as "harmful", simply because of their own biased religious beliefs imposed on their clients.

From your own writings, I suspect you agree with such attitudes.  I wonder if you would feel the same way if the things you liked or believed in now were deemed "harmful" to others, even when you didn’t believe the same.  Oh well, I guess that just makes you abnormal, pathological, psychotic, and a threat to others’ mental, physical, and/or sexual well being.  You’ll just have to live with being seen as such since supposed "experts" and "authority figures" say so.

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

exgamerdotnet says:

There’s no jury. He waived his right to a trial by jury.

After the verdict is delivered, I hope the judge will order a psychiatric assessment before Daniel is sentenced. We know that his parents got between him and his gaming, and that the medical profession may be only a few years away from recognizing video game addiction as a treatable disorder. While there should be accountability here, I think we can learn a lot from what was going on in Daniel’s mind when he committed this crime. Let’s not miss this opportunity.

Brad

SimonBob says:

See, I don’t like that definition as much, because it still implies that there’s something wrong with gaming.  Besides, the father did try to take a hand in his son’s raising by locking the game in the box.  (He probably shouldn’t have used "7-7-7" as the combination tho.)

The Mammon Industry

nightwng2000 says:

No, we mean "addiction" as in "We, the Parents, were too lazy to encourage diversity in our child’s activities.  As such, we need a scapegoat to blame rather than putting it where it belongs, with the people who were supposed to be in charge of the child’s raising.  After all, unlike sending a child to school where we have no control at all what he is exposed to there, we had far more control over what he was exposed to in our own home.  But we didn’t take advantage of that control, so now we need to shift the blame from our own incompetency to someone or something else."

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

SimonBob says:

So by "addiction" we all mean "compulsion," right?  As has been mentioned here time and again, gaming isn’t an addiction except by a lengthy stretch of the imagination, since it doesn’t replace a physiological function in the mind or body.  (Have I got that right?  It’s been a while.)

The Mammon Industry

DeepThorn says:

Yeah, I decided to just let it all out after a build of of hearing a couple human stupidity stories/pots, so yeah…  I was just saying the person who is blaming it on game addiction is in the same group as homophobes, racists, and other groups because of not understand what he/she is talking about in the first place.

Cabin fever is a mixture of depression, claustrophobia, and radical change in activity.
    Basic symptoms of cabin fever: inactivity, crankiness, sleep loss, and simply feeling down in the dumps

He was forced into the first one, the second is obvious, the third is most likely, and the last I would say is more than most likely.  They need to make it against the law for there to be these "it was the video game’s fault", and force people to do real research that proves their point.

He planned it out a little too well to be a knee jerk addiction type reaction.  He thought about it well enough to say, close your eyes, I have a surprise for you.  I am sorry, but that is proof alone of pretty major psychological problems beyond what any non-chemical addiction case I have seen, especially to someone’s own family.

Nido Web Flash Tutorials AS2 and AS3 Tutorials for anyone interested.
    How to set Xbox 360 Parental Controls

Clever says:

Someone’s a little upset… nothing says we’re kind caring gamers like blaming a large portion of our community for all of the world’s ills – I was completely unaware I hated gays, blacks, and other groups though so thanks for the heads up… now I’ll have something to tweet about…

What perplexes me most about this case though is that his spine would apparently "snap" but he was mobile enough to shoot someone but not mobile enough to go to some sort of physical therapy? What are the exact details anyways? I thought he had never played Halo3 and had gone out and bought it and his father took it away then….

Even so – there must be other mitigating circumstances like predisposed him to take such action. Not to mention the actions he supposedly took after make it look like, while he may have been "out of his bloody mind" (to use the latin) at the time it almost seems premeditated or at the very least he was in control… someone trying to make the crime scene look like a murder/suicide doesn’t just "happen" because you can’t rough up a few Covenant is all I’m saying…

Still – my heart goes out to the family that has had to go through this ordeal…

E. Zachary Knight says:

Yes a lot of people do get injured and a lot of people do end up homebound. A lot of those people don’t have constructive activities to keep their minds occupied. Very few of them get violent as a result, but violence is a known symptom of svere cabin fever.

Now this kid probably wasn’t suffering from it as bad as otehr people as teh news story linked to yesterday claimed he was able to leave the house. But he still probably had a lot of stress from not being able to do all he could do before. Added on to that not being allowed to do something he was physically capable of doing, that could have increased his stress levels.

I am not trying to find a scapgoat here. I am saying that this could have been prevented by properly caring for him while he was homebound.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
    MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/okceca
    Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1325674091

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

DarkSaber says:

Scarier spin on the question: How many have SUCCESFULLY done that?

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Shadow D. Darkman says:

Cabin Fever does not justify that they’re blaming video games.

——————————————————————————

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

zel says:

Spoken from someone who obviously has never been forced to stay in bed for weeks or months at a time. Being bedridden is more likely the cause. Temporary insanity comes to mind.

When I broke my knee i had to stay in bed with my leg in an immobilizer, they didn’t put a cast on. I couldn’t do anything for quite a while and it sucked real bad. I only had to do it for a month or so and it was pretty depressing that i couldn’t play DDR like i used to. The pain killers made me all woozy and it was a generally suck experience. I can’t imagine being like that for a year. The compulsion to play games most likely stemmed from the desire to be active again and he most likely snapped at some point. i doubt the games caused it.

————————————

DeepThorn says:

Except given the circumstances it fits with cabin fever 1000 times more easily than video game addiction.  Now go somewhere and get an education on the subject, then return when you actually know stuff about it.  Dont waste our time feeding out bullshit you don’t know anything about.

You are not as bad but in the same direction of a religious nutcase saying the universe is 6000 years old with no scientific background, and no proof other than the BS you learned on the internet.  If that is your belief fine, but there are people that still believe the Earth is flat, so it sure as hell does not mean you are right.  Either way, people like you waste mankind’s time with stupid arguments that are out dated just because of your non-scientific ideals.

If mankind had no one holding them back with stupid crap like this, then we would be a bit further than we are today, which would mean a lunar station, and possibly even a station on Mars, countless scientific research that could help medically, and people would hate each other less in this world without people like you, because less people would hate gays, hate blacks, and hate other groups, then they just can not grasp the bigger picture and logically work their way through it.

So I hope to hell that you are just kidding, because if not, WOW!

Nido Web Flash Tutorials AS2 and AS3 Tutorials for anyone interested.
    How to set Xbox 360 Parental Controls

Shadow D. Darkman says:

Obvious Troll is obvious. Begone.

——————————————————————————

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

Charax says:

And you cite precisely what evidence that Daniel Petric was unable to define the diference between "gaming world" and reality?

Hell, do you have any evidence that anyone is unable to make that distinction?

Meddle says:

So how many injured or paralyzed athletes go on to murder their parents and try to make it look like it was a murder-suicide? The kid obviously knew what he was doing when he tried to rearrange the crime scene to make it look like his dad killed his mom and them himself. There’s no way to get around that. Hopefully any jury can look past the ridiculous game addiction theory and see that.

E. Zachary Knight says:

IF you read the last story and the associated links, you would have learned that he was homebound due to a back injury gained in a snowboarding accident. Being home bound can cause a lot os stress. IT is called Cabin Fever.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
    MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/okceca
    Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1325674091

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

magic_taco says:

Oh God, This is utter B.S. , There couldnt be no way a game addiction or Halo 3 could have made him do this when he acted this on his own free will, Not to mention, The last topic i’ve seen, It said he never actually played the game, When did the excuse of a "Back Injury" Get involved, Unless he had Scoliois then thats a different story. (I apologize if im going to far dennis or Ezk, Just give me a message or warning, Thanks.)

Doomsong says:

LOL…

Wouldn’t that be closer to genocide?

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" – Benjamin Franklin

Doomsong says:

Yes, That was the origional story. So I guess someone is making things up.