Bush Shoe-Tossing Game Sells for $7,800 on Ebay in Four Days

December 19, 2008 -

One of several Flash games parodying the recent Iraqi shoe tossing incident has been sold on Ebay, according to Reuters.

SockAndAwe was created by Alex Tew, an Englishman. Tew commented on the sale:

We've spent the last three days trying to keep the servers alive and we're meant to be working on our other main startup PopJam. So we whacked it on eBay. It's really cool. From Monday concept, Tuesday launch, Wednesday growth, we've had a Thursday exit -- so it's kind of a micro-Web start up if you like.

It was just a bit of fun, a bit of an experiment. It's actually turned out to be a useful fundraising exercise for our start-up, which is good given the present economic circumstances.

An unspecified British media firm bought the game for 5,215 pounds ($7,818).

Comments

Re: Bush Shoe-Tossing Game Sells for $7,800 on Ebay in Four Days

Since this is the price for the domain and the entire site's contents, I'd say the media firm is buying it more for the website traffic than the game. It's a clever move for both the seller and the buyer, well provided that the buyer can quickly recover the $7,800 if the website pays for itself.

I could probably code such a game if I caught up with Flash, but I'd suck at promoting it :P

Re: Bush Shoe-Tossing Game Sells for $7,800 on Ebay in Four Days

Who knew. That has to be the easiest $7,800 ever made.

The Honest Game - http://www.thehonestgame.org

The Honest Game - http://www.thehonestgame.org

Re: Bush Shoe-Tossing Game Sells for $7,800 on Ebay in Four Days

Well played sit well played indeed.

I am surpised Ebay lets you sale those though...
=================================
Pirates,Shearers,Lenders and downloaders are not a market that can be taped by the mainstream.
---------------------------------
I is fuzzy brained mew =^^=

---

Patreon

Deviantart

Re: Bush Shoe-Tossing Game Sells for $7,800 on Ebay in Four Days

Wow.  I can't even be bothered to play games like this, much less shell out $7800 for it.

"There is no sin except stupidity." - Oscar Wilde

"De minimus non curat lex"

Re: Bush Shoe-Tossing Game Sells for $7,800 on Ebay in Four Days

Its amazing how much money you cn make off website hits alone.

Re: Bush Shoe-Tossing Game Sells for $7,800 on Ebay in Four Days

The British Media firm would appear to be Fubra, as they now have their name at the bottom of the SockAndAwe site.

Re: Bush Shoe-Tossing Game Sells for $7,800 on Ebay in Four Days

So, they sold the rights to the game and code or something? That's pretty cool. They also got a nice chunk of change for such a simple game.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/okceca
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1325674091

Re: Bush Shoe-Tossing Game Sells for $7,800 on Ebay in Four Days

They prolly sold the whole deal, domain name(sockandawe.com), flash game and website code. I noticed that they had a little blurb of a link that they wanted to sell the domain name and everything when i played it the other day.

------------------------------------

------------------------------------ I am a signature virus, please copy and paste me into your signature to help me propagate.

Re: Bush Shoe-Tossing Game Sells for $7,800 on Ebay in Four Days

Thats actually a rather neat idea for making money off a bit of IP.

benohawkNo need to apologize Big Perm08/04/2015 - 11:55am
benohawkThe changing to 0 only being a 1 was local security policy change, not the reghack08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermSorry Beno, it looks like you're right.08/04/2015 - 11:49am
Big PermFrom what I've heard (and obviously I could be wrong here), but I hear even setting it to "0" in the registry will only change to "1" or "Basic" collection. I'll try to find the article I got this from08/04/2015 - 11:40am
benohawkBig Perm, you can disable telemetry, just not through the gui. It's a matter of adding a registry key and disabling a couple services08/04/2015 - 11:34am
Big PermBlazers w/ t-shirts trigger me. This madness must be stopped08/04/2015 - 10:36am
PHX Corphttps://twitter.com/JimSterling Jim Sterling's commentary of the Xbox Gamescom event08/04/2015 - 9:34am
Big PermI'm talking about not being able to fully disable telemetry unless you have Enterprise software. It's just creepy to me08/04/2015 - 9:31am
TechnogeekBig Perm: If you're talking about the image I think you are, then no, not really. The claims it makes are, at best, extremely misleading in many instances.08/04/2015 - 9:28am
E. Zachary KnightBig Perm, That would make logical sense, so of course YouTube would not allow you to set your subscription page as the home page.08/04/2015 - 9:14am
Big PermBy the way. Anyone else kind of spooked by Microsofts data collection that's being reported about Win10? Thinking of finally trying a linux box for general use and Windows for gaming only08/04/2015 - 8:59am
Big PermCan you set youtube to load subs instead of recommendations first?08/04/2015 - 8:54am
MonteI've had mostly good experience with Youtube recommendations... only problem is when i watch a certain video that messes it up and gets me reconmendations i don't want. Though all i have to do is remove said video from my history to fix it08/04/2015 - 8:42am
Big PermYoutube wants me to watch Nicki Minaj videos. I am ok with this. Dat mute tho08/04/2015 - 7:48am
IvresseIronpatriot: I think it's fair to say that even anti-gamergaters want you to just shut the hell up...08/04/2015 - 7:27am
Sora-Chan@Andrew Eisen: A tip for when it comes to clicking people's video recommendations, use Incognito/Private Mode.that'll keep those kinds of recommendations off the radar. =P08/04/2015 - 5:37am
InfophileWow, I just got an e-mailed ad from Nintendo: "FREE AC Adapter with New Nintendo 3DS XL" - So... pretending this didn't used to be normal, are we?08/04/2015 - 3:34am
MattsworknameNight man, take care08/04/2015 - 2:59am
Andrew EisenOff to bed. Play nice.08/04/2015 - 2:53am
Andrew EisenNo worries. Yeah, it's the pits. It's like "How many times do I have to tell you I'm not interested in this producer's work before you stop recommending his videos to me?!"08/04/2015 - 2:53am