Guy Got a Wii Instead of the Gift He Wanted, Fights with Girlfriend

They say that Christmas is all about the giving.

But a man in Portsmouth, New Hampshire apparently missed the memo.

The Associated Press reports that Heath Blom, 26, and his girlfriend Randi Young, 24, were arrested after an argument over Christmas gifts turned into a brawl.

From the AP:

According to Portsmouth police, Blom was disappointed when he did not receive the $1,000 airplane he had asked for from his grandparents, and was underwhelmed by the gift he received from Young: a Nintendo Wii video game console…

An argument ensued, and Young allegedly hid the gift and began packing her bags. Insults flew, and a fist fight between the two allegedly ended in a two-story tumble down the stairs.

The Boston Herald has more.

BrandonL337 says:

Not for long muthafucka!

There have always been motherf*ckers, there will always be motherf*ckers, but what we can’t do is let them control our motherf*cking lives. -John Oliver, December 1st, 2008

Iliad says:

Since that slab of verbal diarrhea contained no actual argument as to WHY you think that (because you dont have one) im not going to waste my time coming up with much more, since you don’t deserve anything above being called an abolute moron.

For the record, the wii is awesome.

Frank says:

There are two reasons I was mean last night.  For one I hadn’t taken my prozac that day so my attitude wasn’t the greatest.  The other reason is that I was trying to use a joke that Ben Croshaw used in his show Zero Punctuation when he was talking about Lego Indiana Jones.  I figured I could use his joke in a modified way to work for me.  Zero Punctuation (if you haven’t seen it) is a game review show only available online.

Yes I was being a jerk last night and I apologize.  I tend to forget to take my prozac on days I get out of bed at 4:00pm (Yes I’m lazy).

Wolvenmoon says:

"Oh…OH! It’s a video game console…I thought it was a plastic pe–oh shit, I’m so sorry…"

Seriously though, I’d expect drugs or alcohol to be involved. Or at least some pretty powerful medications. What a sad person to know, and there’s likely been previous abuses if he got into a fight over this.

Anger management : It’s a good thing to have, and a really funny movie.

DavCube says:

Umm… generalizations much? I want nothing to do with facebook, and gaming works the exact same way for me. However, that had nothing to do with your original argument. You seemed to spend the first post making a long, drawn-out version of ‘lol wii r teh sux0rz.’

I can see that, apparently, that wasn’t your initial point, but you might not have gotten so many responses calling you out had you explained yourself fully. (Not to mention more maturely… seriously, it was like you were saying only retards like the Wii. That’s what CHILDREN say, all right?Look at those last couple sentences and tell me that’s not the vibe you’re giving.)

Vortex says:

Sorry, I overreacted, but you did made some ignorant statements and I kinda snapped.

"I wasn’t making up stupid shit about how I don’t like casual games.  I don’t like them, I never said they were ruining the industry.  My aunt intends to get one and by all means I won’t mind so long as I’m never forced to play on it."

I was referring to the fanboys who say that kind of stuff on other gaming sites

"I do in fact have asperger’s syndrome and have had issues in life because of it."

I do too and that’s why I felt offended when you made a reference.  Like I said, sorry

Frank says:

Most people play games to have fun.  I play them to get out of crappy reality and into a better one.  Admittedly I only have the 360 but I have played on the Wii at Shadow Darkman’s house given that we’re friends (as amazing as that sounds).  Games to me are stress relief, a nice alternative to alcohol.  The wine I keep in my room feels like a kick in the mouth as first but it does the job of getting me far enough from life that I’m happy.  However alcohol is not infinite (sadly) and it does have negative affects the following day.  Games are always there for me.  They have no negative affects short of making me talk like a complete nerd on Facebook.

Frank says:

Let’s get a few things strait here.

1. I put that reply when I was tired, hence the bad grammer.  Also I wish this site would have a spell check feature.

2. I do in fact have asperger’s syndrome and have had issues in life because of it.

3. I don’t own a wii but I’m friends with Darkman and I played on his at his house.

4. Yes the guy who attacked the girl is an asshole and never should have gotten violent over something like this.  Her giving him a $250 present clearly shows that she loves him and was being generous as that is a lot of money to spend.

5. I wasn’t making up stupid shit about how I don’t like casual games.  I don’t like them, I never said they were ruining the industry.  My aunt intends to get one and by all means I won’t mind so long as I’m never forced to play on it.

6. My take on video games is this.  They are like books that you play.  Each one has a story and it’s the story that for me is the main attraction.  My mother wanted to get me guitar hero for Christmas and I told her no on the grounds that it has no real deep gameplay.  I prefer games like Mass Effect and Fallout 3 because of how deep you can get in the story even if it is through seemingly endless dialgoue.  I tend to play games more as a distraction from my dull tedious normal life.  I don’t tend to have fun (truth be told I can’t remember what fun feels like).  It’s just a way of getting out of crappy reality and into a world where I’m not an 18 year old loser.

Vortex says:

It was only an amount of time before a fanboy trolls in a Wii related article with bad grammar. Tell the other fanboys that I thank them for ruining the image of us innocent gamers who wants to have FUN while you go off making up stupid shit like how the "casuals are ruining the industry" and "it haz no gamez".  I have Asperger’s Syndrome too, but I have games like GTA4 and No More Heroes and play those equally.  It’s disgusting these days that people like you insult someone because of their tastes in gaming.  I bet you don’t even have a Wii or Asberger’s Syndrome!  This article is more about a grown man acting childish over not getting what he wants for Christmas (a $1000 plane, srsly?) than the actual console itself!

Meggie says:

You’re 26 and you really expected your grandparents to buy you a $1000 toy, to the point of turning to violence in frustration? Be thankful you have grandparents at the age of 26 you ungrateful bastard. Or better yet, that you got a girlfriend who put up with your horribly bratty self.

GrimCW says:

if ya don’t have it yet, get the wiibrew channel installed on there :p

fun times with home made games from other gamers, and some oldies.

such as if you own Quake 1, theres a bit to add that to the wii, and its no cheap port really, it actually plays like other FPS games on the wii where your gun will sway with your own movements :)

the wii may lack in GFX, hell, in good titles too sadly (i blame nintendo) but its still fun and far from junk. i do hope the new motion plus gets some devs moving on it though. but its the gfx wh***s that most companies are trying to appeal to. "the prettier it is the more it’ll sell despite how bad a game it may be" seems to be the common perspective.

besides, why trade it in for half your money back if ya got one when theres so many people willing to pay double for it :p

David says:

A few months in the tank should teach him to be a little more grateful for what he’s got.  Or had, anyway.  Tossing women down stairs is not a good way to get them to stay with you.

zel says:

ya i agree, i own all 3 and i enjoy games on the Wii as much as my ps3 or 360, i own less games for the wii though cause there aren’t many games i want for it but thats just me 😛

I am a signature virus, please copy and paste me into your signature to help me propagate.

DavCube says:

Really? Hm. I figured someone with Asperger’s (like myself) would have the common sense capacity to look past the graphics and have fun with a freaking GAME. You know, games? Primary objective = fun? Not power?

This is coming from somebody that has both consoles, buddy.

Bennett Beeny says:

It stands to reason.  The Wii was in the house, so it drove him crazy, turning him into a psychopathic killing machine.  We should just be glad that he didn’t own any firearms, or if he did,  we should be glad that blind rage caused him to forget about them.  Heck, if it had been an Xbox 360 we could have been looking at a massacre with 15 or more neighbours murdered.  These consoles need to be stopped!  Oh, why didn’t we listen to Jack?

Adamas Draconis says:

Gee Frank. Tell us how you REALLY feel!

As for this guy. I like the Robin Willams line. "I’ll b****slap you like Shiva".

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

Frank says:

If I got a We I’d have the person return it for something more useful then a $250 piece of junk.  Get myself something good.  (insert rant about how the We is strictly for people under 15 years of age or people with enough brain damage to render them eqaul to 15 or under person).  I wouldn’t be violent about it because everyone who knows me knows that I’m too old for the thing and state my hatred for it almost daily.  Sadly, Darkman, despite being 17 has a more severe case of Asperger’s then me.  That is why he likes the We, because anyone with a normal enough nervous system (Despite Asperger’s I’m more normal then Darkman) will know to stay away from the pathetic excuse for a console that would have been good in the last generation of consoles but in mondern times just looks like a puss filled boil on the face of the eletronics industry.

Shadow D. Darkman says:

Stupid fucker shoulda just taken the gift for the thought of it being given to him.

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

thefremen says:

Note: this does not make gamers look bad, it makes people who play with RC planes look bad.

What an idiot. Don’t expect shit for christmas after you’re 16. I got tube socks and that was damned good because that’s one less thing to remember at K-mart.

ThomWestley says:

Christmas time should be about uniting with your loved ones and sharing gifts, not about fighting and ending up at the police station. This is certainly one of those cases where gift baskets would have been better received and the conflict between those two wouldn’t have escalated.

Iliad says:

Did anyone actually read the story with the boston herald? This looks like a case of total spin doctering, and I dont trust what the cops or the media say when it comes to domestic abuse cases, it sounds like he might have been a bit bratty and then she went batshit crazy, gave him a black eye, hid his present and he tried to stop her and she hit him three more times, THEN he dragged her by the hair.

If she hit me four times in the face, I would have done a lot more then drag her down the stairs by her hair, I dont care who you are, you have no right to hit me unless I hit you or am in some way a danger to you. police/media are completely biased towards women in these cases… and guys are supposed to just lay down and let themselves get hit, god help them if they defend themselves, im suprised they actually arrested both of them.

GrimCW says:

i’m still having a hard time finding a reason besides blu-ray to even have that giant paperweight sitting on my tv stand :/

if it weren’t a blu ray player i’d prob have traded it in by now.

good system, great GFX, but few good exclusives worth a mention and its network bites, so if the title has an X360 option i’m stuck with it despite the gfx downgrade.

more mic owners, easier interface, FASTER network (seriously the $53 a years worth it, the PS3 takes nearly 2 hours to dload a demo, then take 30 min to install, whereas the 360 can dload in 30 min and play instantly)

meh, i’m hoping it gets better, i really like the system, MGS4 and Socom are a blast :) them aside i’m no fan of the rest. (though LBP looks interesting now that its getting looser on the moderation and an MGS4 add on) if its the only system ya got i’m sure its grand, but if ya have both as i do, its MY opinion the 360 gets better service (but then again i’ve never had a RRoD in my 3 years of having one)

GrimCW says:

heh ditto on the PC :p

i have all the consoles so i can evaluate them evenly though :p (i still think the Wii, despite its lack of good titles, is freaken the funnest of the new consoles, and the homebrew channel is awesome. throw ScummVM on there and its old time goodness from the couch!)

i prefer my PC titles due to the lower prices (differance being $10 USD on new titles, and up to $30 or more on older ones), higher res’s and moddability of most titles (Fallout 3 and Oblivion are prime examples. my world of Cyrodiil is more than 60% differant than the default that consoles are forever stuck with) exceptions on a few since some ports outright blow chunks (R6V for example) and some are 100% differant games (GRAW console and GRAW PC are 2 totally differant games)

Haggard says:

The graphics in PS3 isn’t all that superior except in a small number of exclusives. On multiplatform titles the 360 version is often superior (resolution, frame rates, texture clarity) because it’s easy to develop for.

Not a fanboy, I buy the PC version wherever possible 😉

GrimCW says:

the guy whined about getting a Wii? does he not know he could’ve SOLD that wii to some moron on E-Bay for triple its store price?

throw in 2 games and get even more!

what a spoiled rotten loser he is. if she was smart she’d ditchem for a wiibrator (it does exist! lol)

to top it, he decides what he gets for Xmas and his b-day? wow… thats bad, and worse is that his grandparents apparently feed that. you shouldn’t dictate your wishes for such times, especially not Xmas. i’m no holiday lover, in fact i despise’em most what for the false pretense that people play during them. but even i wouldn’t be a total arse.

she got him something thats hard to get, and really thought he’d like it. Then he goes and whines about it behind her back, and to her face. then gets peeved when she tries to leave?  oye. like i said, if he was smart he’d have been overjoyed, and then resold it for a higher price online.

people are buying those things at severely ripoff prices off of ebay, theres people who are desperate to get a wii for some reason.

hayabusa75 says:

Maybe, but their Xmas was still a whole helluva lot worse than most people’s.  Just because no one was murdered doesn’t mean what happened to her should be marginalized.

"There is no sin except stupidity." – Oscar Wilde

nightwng2000 says:

"“He dragged me down two flights of stairs, by the hair,” Young claimed on Friday… "This was the worst Christmas ever.""

Seriously, you don’t know squat about "worse Christmas ever".

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 has also updated his MySpace page: Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as

Yuuri says:

Apparently, the g/f took exception to his reaction of getting a Wii, so she hid it while she packed her bags. When she tried to leave with her bags, he thought she was trying to take it with her. In the he said/she said part of things, he said she punched him 3 times. She said he then pulled her down the stairs via her hair.

Father Time says:

I don’t mean to sound judgemental but that kid is either spoiled rotten or has a really short temper, if the guy doesn’t like what he gets for Christmas that’s no reason to flip out.

Debates are like merry go rounds Two people take their positions then they go through the same points over and over and over again. Then when it’s over they have the same positions they started in.

hellfire7885 says:

Wait wait wait, something isn’t right here.

Wasn’t he supposed to get the plane instead of the Wii and THEN turn violent, or did he come into contact with the wii box, got the violence virus and then flip out?

I’m so confused.

As t othe above, yes, I am joking, this guy is a grade A dickhead