NFL Punter Adding Warcraft to Name?

Chris Kluwe, who punts for the NFL’s Minnesota Vikings, is a big-time World of Warcraft player.

In fact, he told the Minneapolis-St. Paul Star-Tribune that he has given some thought to adding Warcraft to his name. For pay, of course. Kluwe, who does a local radio program, commented on his gaming:

I think more people like to hear me talk about playing video games than football. I’ve played video games since I was 4 years old. I play them a lot more than I kick a football. I kick the ball about 45 minutes a day. I play video games about five or six hours a day. But that’s OK. I don’t watch TV…

Back when [Bengals receiver] Chad Johnson changed his name to Ocho Cinco, I told the guys at [radio station] 93X that I was going to change my name to Chris ‘World of Warcraft. They said that’s too long. So they started calling me Chris ‘Warcraft.’ I could make a lot of money if I changed my name to that.

GP: Personally, I’m hoping that Kluwe is thinking about WoW instead of his punting chores on Sunday when the Vikes host my beloved Iggles (that’s the official Philadelphia pronunciation) in the playoffs.

Via: Kotaku

fakepunts says:

For those of you who don’t know Mr. FakePunts: I’m a extrodinaire.  My new name Chris Diablo Edwards.

As I told the editor from Winnipeg; Although I punted a 5.63 second hang time punt at the Stampeders 2009 tryout and a 5.9 sec. 52 yarder, wind aided, timed by two witnesses two days prior (hang times only produced by a small number of current NFL punters such as Shane Lechler, Andy Lee, Mike Scifres, Matt Turk, Brad Maynard, Jon Ryan… and yet its likely none of them have hit a 6.0 this year, … with passing skills that are still above and beyond all other punters), I’m getting attention, but not the serious attention I’m looking for… Since the Blue Bombers refused to allow me to tryout in Deland this year…It looks like I’ll have to come back next year for both the NFL and CFL open camps, with a record breaking, mind blowing, semi-consistent 6.0-6.2 sec. hang time punts and we’ll see what happens… (with those types of hang times, at 45-50+ yds net, there’s just no-chance of a return, … the returner is going to get mauled by 5-7 of our guys)

4/6/09 WFTV Channel 9 Orlando – Sports at 9 – Chris Edwards: "Working On A Dream -38-year-old punter/quarterback looks for his place in pro football."

Although Sports Anchor Joe Kepner only filmed 2 punts on camera, where he was able to track the football hang time from foot-to-ground, (the punt on the preview news coverage, on the website), was a 5.0 second hang time punt. A punt on the full story was a 4.2. Just a few punts later (the punt aired twice near the end of the full story), I launched a monster 5.6+ at 50+ yards net with a 1.00 sec. hand-to-foot (which is probably a faster avg. getoff than all of the above punters, given my unique 1 1/2 step punting style). After that punt I turned and said… "take that one to the bank".

voxyn says:

I know they’re valuable, i would just prefer to see an offense that got in the end zone or close enough that the punter could hold the ball (laces out) for a field goal, not this 3 and out crap the vikings are getting famous for.

Though I did like the one return the eagles had where the guy chose to run out of bounds rather than into Warcraft.  I guess after the lick he took in the bears game he’s increased his +intimidation.  Probably through inscription or jewelcrafting.

Benji says:

Not sure how much stock you put in football commentators, but they were giving a lot of credit to some punters.  In particular San Diego’s punter, Scifres (yes, I had to look that up) got a lot of credit in their win over Indy for putting up some big punt yardage and consistently pinning the Colts near their own goal.  So yeah, it’s hard to get excited over a punter, but a top-notch punter can really make life miserable for the opposing offense.

voxyn says:

FWIW I called into 93x this morning when Kluwe was on to let him know about this article.  More than likely he’s already read it.

I wish I could say I was a fan of him, but well, it’s hard to get excited about a punter.  That’s like cheering the guy at the Target who cleans up the spill when your kid breaks a jar of apple sauce.  He’s just there to clean up everyone else’s mess.  He might do a spectacular job cleaning the mess, but still… it was a mess…

From what I’ve heard of his exploits as a gamer, well, some of that is impressive.  But I do know from listening to him on the radio he’s a bit of a harlot (like attending every optional practice just for the $$$), so chances are he would do it.  I’d throw a $1 down that he ordered a custom jersey from with Warcraft #5 just to have…

Anyway, grats to the iggles for their win. Here’s to hoping we get a QB in the offseason so Kluwe doesn’t have to work as much.

Voxyn of the Knights of Arcadia

hayabusa75 says:

Hey congratulations to the Eagles, but all I really wanted was Dallas falling flat on their face!  Viva la ringless T.O.!!!

"There is no sin except stupidity." – Oscar Wilde

Father Time says:

I remember that add with Mr. T, it was funny.

Debates are like merry go rounds Two people take their positions then they go through the same points over and over and over again. Then when it’s over they have the same positions they started in.

sortableturnip says:

Hi, I’m Chris Kluwe and I’m a Viking punter….

CUT!  There’s no Vikings in World of Warcraft!

Maybe Chris Kluwe knows his way around a computer…maybe Chris Kluwe knows how to hack a server…

Meggie says:

It’s the Wheaties box of the 21st century. Beats being put on a Madden cover that’s for sure.

My boyfriend is a huge Eagles fan, he’s still high off their Dallas defeat.

PHX Corp says:

-off topic- I do think the Eagles are going to win the super Bowl and we’re going to have a hilarious yet funny riot, then a celebration a few days after the game(similar to Pliladelphia phillies Win)

Benji says:

It might not hurt to remember that most people thought Chad Johnson’s name change was a rather silly publicity stunt, especially in light of how mediocre the Bengals were this year.  Kluwe’d need his team to make a decent playoff run, and perhaps distinguish himself as a great punter and not just a good one, if he’d want his name change to be any less silly.

And since we’re on the topic, the entire NFC North performed below what it’s really capable of this year, so I’m more than a little worried about the Viking’s chances.  They might get lucky against Philly but I don’t see them making the conference final at the level they’ve been playing at for most of the season.  If they improve just a little, though, they might be a real threat.  So, yeah, go Vikings.

face777 says:

Cheap money-grabbing stunt – as if these sport ‘celebrities’ didn’t make enough already. Give these people any more publicity/$$$’s and they’ll find even more ways to whore themselves out.

I din’t know what is worse, that or the fact companies encourage that kid of behaviour – there is an economic crisis, companies shouldn’t be worried about spending millions on stupid advertising stunts when it may cost hundreds their job.

For my reasons behind this rant, see the Jaguar / Tata controversy.  Indian company and businessman wants millions from the UK government to ‘save jobs’ while at the same time they have just signed a multi-million advertising deal with Formula1.

Fucking sick joke it is.

E. Zachary Knight says:

That is an awesome quote.

As for the idea, I wouldn’t do it. But of course my last name is already part of my future company’s name.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
    MySpace Page:
    Facebook Page:

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

Doomsong says:

I guess punters have to do SOMETHING to get noticed….

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" – Benjamin Franklin

MartyB says:

Yea… but he’s right.

Take this for exemple:

Some random guy sells his forehead to put an add, he made 37 375$ in a month.

Imagine what compagnies would pay to have a celebrity having ads like that…  you know the media would eat it up and gossip about it for 2 months, the compagny would have made they’re money’s worth after just a month.  And then everytime someone else does it they’ll remind the public that this was done before by so and so with compagny "X".

"there’s no such thing as bad publicity"