Youthful Sonic Fan Gets Ban on Hedgehogs Overturned

A Lawrence, Kansas boy’s fondess for iconic video game character Sonic the Hedgehog has led to a successful crusade to overturn a citywide ban on the critters.

KTKA-49 reports that Judson King, 11, decided three years ago that he loved Sonic so much that he needed to own a real hedgehog, but…

Lawrence’s animal code has long prohibited the fury rodents in the city limits, a fact that didn’t particularly upset Judson’s mother.

"I thought, that’s my out. Now I don’t have to get him one. Then he said, ‘How do we make them legal?’" mom Rebecca Weeks said.

Judson researched hedgehogs for three years. When he finally got a chance to plead his case with the Lawrence city commissioners late last year, they agreed with him and lifted the ban.

Shadow D. Darkman says:

So uncalled for. Methinks I should send word to Dennis to look over your recent posts, DeoVIRUS.

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

Meggie says:

Considering how young he was and how long he’s been trying to get them unbanned, that’s rather impressive. I’m sure he’ll be a great pet-owner with that kind of dedication. No doubt he’s already picked a name 😛

robotco says:

what really strikes me about this story is how the first thought in his mom’s head was ‘how can i make it so he never gets a hedgehog?’

"that’s my out. now i don’t have to get him one."? who thinks this when their kid wants something as silly and small as a hedgehog.

HungryHungryHomer says:

Heh. Fury rodents… sounds like a low-level D&D monster.

You enter the 20′ by 20′ stone chamber. Inside is a Fury rodent that attacks you for *roll* 6 points of damage. Make a saving throw versus rabies…

GoodRobotUs says:

I think the ‘Awwww… what a sweet little kid’ factor came into play to be honest, but nothing wrong with that :)

The whole mention of Hedgehogs reminds me of the UK’s Monster Raving Looney party, who used to have a mandate of moving all road-crossing buttons to 1ft above the ground so that Hedgehogs could reach them. This, apparently, would help reduce the number of them being hit by cars every year…

GrimCW says:

i hope he doesn’t make the same mistake a lot of people in my time did after watching things like TMNT and thinking that a turtle can come out of its shell.

or he’s in for a REAL suprise :)

but then again he did some research, and the only reason it was overturned is probably because the politicians saw no reason not to and didn’t even know why it was there themselves, and it also gave them something to do with their overpayed arses for a few minutes as opposed to just slandering things they know nothing off and sucking up tax dollars to pretend they know things.

I’ll assume that was supposed to be furry, I think this writer needs to do some research because hedghogs are anything but furry. That and they’re not rodents… I guess it’s too much to ask for "reporters" to do even five minutes of research on a story.

DarkSaber says:

I think that after researching them for 3 years he MIGHT just already be aware of that.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

trillex says:

He studied them for 3 years so I really doubt he’d still believe they are blue.

Then again, perhaps he’ve seen too many cartoons where people being choked turns blue..

gamegod25 says:

I think someone needs to tell this kid that real hedgehogs aren’t blue, can’t talk, and don’t fight evil robots.

But seriously, thats some pretty rabid fandom to go through all that just to own one of the little criitters. lol it’d be funny if after all that his parents said he couldn’t have one ^_^

Monte says:

Me and my roommate use to call that Halo baseball… though never thought to actually use grenades with the hammer…

frankly, i was always disappointed we could never get halo jousting to work out

of the things we would try out when we got board of actual Halo

Monte says:

Not sure exactly… though looking around a bit, hedgehogs have actually been quite troublesome in some countries that they were not native too… Something like they started multiplying but had no natrual predators to control the population and as such they ended up eating to much. Sometimes introducing foreign animals into a new environment can have negative effects…

The fear of such a thing is the only reason i can see for banning hedgehogs from the city competely…

Kincyr says:

I agree with you on the hedgehogs but I don’t think pet rats should be illegal either. They clean themselves six times a day, they aren’t escape-artists like hamsters are, and if they do happen to get out, they’ll be nearby because they’re territorial and will want back in their cage.

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

SeanB says:

why the hell were they illegal in the first place?

Hedgehogs? Come on! They’re like spikey hamsters. I can understand pet Rats or something, but Hedgehogs?

PHX Corp says:

-Mouth drops- Chirp chirp. and you thought i was the rabid sonic fan(I owned serveral sonic Games) comon can someone hit me with a gravity hammer(from Halo 3) right now

zippy says:

Wow, i’m surprised a 14 year old was able to convince them like that! I wonder how many politicians held it against the kid that he was moved into doing this because of a video game…xD

TK n Happy Ness says:

If the kid wanted a hedgehog, he could always use a Formula One racecar to catch it.

When Jack Thompson runs his mouth, does anyone really care what he has to say anymore?

Alex says:

You’d be amazed. Look up quaker parrots sometime.

I’m not under the affluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I am. I’m not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don’t know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the longer I get.

Arell says:

The only reason I can think of is because there are no native species of hedgehog in North America.  Perhaps that city didn’t want them getting loose and introducing a new species to the habitat.  However, most domesticated species don’t like cold climates and don’t hibernate, so it’s not likely they’d survive out alone in most of the States, anyways.