Author Salman Rushdie Gamed While Dodging Decade-long Fatwa

There’s no word on what he played, but Sir Salman Rushdie told UK newspaper The Times that he indulged in some computer games while dodging a fatwa issued by Iran’s Ayatollah Khomeini from 1988 until 1998.

Khomeini lodged the death sentence against Rushdie following the publication of his 1988 novel, The Satanic Verses. The book was regarded as blasphemous by some segments of the global Islamic community.

GameCulture notes, however, that Rushdie was rather dismissive of games in a 2008 interview with Stephen Colbert:

I think video games, YouTube, you know, these are the things that will change the world. Because when people see what garbage everybody else is consuming, they want it too.

DarkSaber says:

Graffiti is nothing to do with youtube. The original youtube would probably have been a public area where people came and acted out shitty scenes from plays while someone sang a pop song from the time across the action, and then other idiots all said ‘OMG UR TEH GREETEST’ and gave them 5 star ratings despite a complete lack of originality, ability or talent.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

GoodRobotUs says:

Though, in all fairness ‘Junk Media’ has existed in various forms for centuries in almost every culture, it just that it has the technology to proliferate far faster these days. There are catacombs under Cairo with Heiroglyphic graffiti in it, the original YouTube, as it were.

Lucid says:

Yeah, I’m not sure I disagree or feel particularly put out by that comment either.

And even if he is a ‘literary snob’ he would have a point. Novels are still well ahead of videogames in terms of having examples of profundity in their works. But I doubt that’s what he would be pushing towards. There’s garbage in every medium, and I’d imagine he’d feel the same way about a lot of popular fiction.

digdug says:

I think he meant that as a joke, in part. But he also meant it as being something positive. He’s saying American and western culture in general will destroy Islamic fundamentalism. Its our “soft power” that will defeat the terrorists, not our military. They can withstand the assault by our miltary, but they cant last against Disney, Hannah Montana, Hollywood, Grand Theft Auto, etc…

Mr. Stodern says:

Well, considering that for every one great game from ’88 to ’98, you had a dozen shitty ones, I can’t say blame him for the garabage comment.

Then again, he could just be the kind of person who thinks the novel is the end-all be-all of the human experience, and that everything young people are into pales in comparison. I run into waaay too many poeple like that, I’ll tell you.

MartyB says:

Well if he was in hiding for 10 years, and all he can do is play video games to pass the time…

Then i’d get sick of it too…  i can play a game 2 weeks and then get sick of it and find other things to do.  and he wasn’t a gamer to begin with, he played because he had nothing else to do.

you can imagine after 10 years he’s sick and tired of it

Bennett Beeny says:

I wonder what games he played that would cause him to label them all as junk.  There were some bad games out during the 1990s, but some great games too.

DarkSaber says:

Yeah. Dismissive? Maybe. Accurate? Definitley.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

DarkSaber says:

Dismissive of games or not, he’s right about YouTube.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.