Anti-Israeli Protests in Second Life

Israel’s controversial incursion into Gaza has sparked virtual protests in Second Life, reports scribe Wagner James Au.

On his New World Notes blog, Au describes the protests taking place at SL Israel, a Second Life area which recreates Israeli landmarks and tourist attractions in virtual form:

Last week when Israel began launching guided missiles at Hamas targets in Palestine… SL Israel became a flashpoint of another kind.  As the airstrikes pounded Gaza, so did protesters, teleporting into SL Israel, waving flags.

"Lots of people yelling," Beth Odets tells me. "They were going on and on with slurring obscenities about murderous Israeli forces, etc."  She gives me a screenshot taken during the incursion, festooned with anti-war or pro-Palestinian signs, some depicting dead Arab children…

Paladyn says:

…And for 6 months before Israel responded. Now everyone’s paying attention and yelling at Israel? Seriously, some people seem to think that Israel (and the US) are just mean bullies picking on the poor wittle defenseless Palestinians/Arabs/Muslims/(Insert Group Here). Hamas launched rocket attacked from residential buildings so that whenever Israel responds with an air strike on the launch point, it’s bound to kill some "innocent civilians". They then hope civilian death counts add support to their cause.

Derovius says:

We should have given the Israelites part of Italy, if anything. It was the Romans who fractured their civilization, seems only fitting they deal with the mess generations down the road.

BrandonL337 says:

Oh Oh!

"I’m gonna cut off your head and shit down your neck."

There have always been motherf*ckers, there will always be motherf*ckers, but what we can’t do is let them control our motherf*cking lives. -John Oliver, December 1st, 2008

Geoff says:

Second.  No one is the good guy in this one.  You got hard-line Jews on one side pushing the rest of Israel to action and you got radical Arabs on the other poking the former with a stick.

In the middle are the innocent and diplomatic.  The former gets slaughtered and the latter are ignored.

Though the Middle East has always been a violent, bloody region.  The only time there’s ever been "peace in the Middle East" was when an imperial power like Rome was in charge.

Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cook-book! Little Red Cook-book!

Shadow D. Darkman says:

Heh, the irony is, neither side is the good side. This is simply meaningless bullshit that shouldn’t have happened in the first place.

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

Mendror says:

Last time I check the reason why Israel went to war was because Hamas was firing rockets randomly into there territory and broke the cease fire pact they had.

BrandonL337 says:

I’m gonna go with, Same shit, different day.

or alternativly my sig,

Praetorian says:

Just remember:

"War doesn’t determine who is right, it determines who is left." — Mr. Handy

"I’ve been told I’m the resident skeptic, but I wouldn’t believe that."

ECA Seattle Chapter

Darmoth says:

Yeah, I wanted to try and put together a joke involving circumsized, flying penises wearing yarmulkes. But I just can’t get my joke-mobile started this morning…

zel says:

I have a hard time taking anything serious in SL, they may as well be protesting on the flying penis…

I am a signature virus, please copy and paste me into your signature to help me propagate.