In Congress, DMCA Reformer Lands Key Subcommittee Chair

January 9, 2009 -

Rep. Rick Boucher (D-VA) has been picked to lead an important Congressional subcommittee, and that's good news for game consumers.

As MediaPost reports, Boucher will chair the House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the Internet. From MediaPost:

As a longtime proponent of consumers' rights to lawfully copy films, books and other material, Boucher is considered a likely opponent of any entertainment industry efforts to restrict the Web. Among other measures, he is likely to oppose attempts to require Internet service providers to filter networks for pirated material.

Boucher also has tried to revamp the Digital Millennium Copyright Act to make it more consumer-friendly... Boucher's bill would have specified that the anti-circumvention rules do not apply in certain situations, such as when the purpose of getting around the restrictions was to access a work in order to criticize it or report about it...

In 2002, Boucher authored a strident column extolling the benefits of fair use... Boucher also supports net neutrality initiatives, as does President-elect Barack Obama.

In 2007 the Entertainment Consumers Association endorsed Rep. Boucher's fair use legislation, although the bill ultimately failed to pass.

Full Disclosure Dept: The ECA is the parent company of GamePolitics

Comments

Re: In Congress, DMCA Reformer Lands Key Subcommittee Chair

Maybe they'll finally just strike down the DMCA, tell the RIAA and MPAA to go roll in the billions they're still making, and not drive all the pirates into supporting darknets that WILL mask really heinous cybercrime?

Glad to see a congressman with half a brain on this.

Re: In Congress, DMCA Reformer Lands Key Subcommittee Chair

Man, reading this actually made my day.

I'm glad we have someone in a position to help the consumer and a track record that shows his interest is in people's right to own what they buy. Here's to hoping he can deliver :)

------------------------------------

------------------------------------ I am a signature virus, please copy and paste me into your signature to help me propagate.

Re: In Congress, DMCA Reformer Lands Key Subcommittee Chair

This will either be really good, or really bad.

Let's hope he truly believes in the consumer.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" - Benjamin Franklin

Poll

Did Microsoft pay too much ($2.5 billion) for Minecraft developer Mojang?:

james_fudgeI'm a huge Dark Souls fan :)09/16/2014 - 1:13pm
james_fudgeThe first part of Dark Souls is pretty easy.09/16/2014 - 1:13pm
Neeneko@AE - it is still better then Return of Kings. I wonder if they know each other...09/16/2014 - 1:05pm
Neeneko@IanC - well, considering their entire goal is disseminating information, it kinda makes sense.09/16/2014 - 1:04pm
Andrew EisenThat depends on how much longer before YOU start getting good!09/16/2014 - 12:31pm
MaskedPixelanteSo, I've been stuck in the opening section of Dark Souls for about two years now... how much longer before it starts getting good?09/16/2014 - 12:29pm
Michael ChandraI was wondering the same thing while reading it.09/16/2014 - 11:44am
james_fudgeSadly, no.09/16/2014 - 11:17am
Andrew EisenThat's a satire site, like the Onion, right? Please? Please tell me that's a satire site?09/16/2014 - 11:10am
james_fudgehis readers are.09/16/2014 - 10:36am
IanCWikileaks will jump on any agenda for publicity.09/16/2014 - 10:22am
NeenekoWow. This is the first I have heard of the guy. What a jerk.09/16/2014 - 10:14am
quiknkoldmaskedpixelante : Milo Yiannopolous isnt really old.09/16/2014 - 9:57am
MaskedPixelanteBreitbart in a nutshell: Racist old white men saying stupid things.09/16/2014 - 9:54am
james_fudgequiknkold, that's bile. Read the comments and you'll get a taste of that site's audience.09/16/2014 - 9:17am
ZippyDSMleeSo gamer gate will be know as the time all the 13 year old sexist racists assholes came out of the wood work and attacked anything with more brains than themsevles. 0_o09/16/2014 - 9:09am
E. Zachary KnightAwwwww. I feel so special. I have someone on Twitter shaming me for being anti-gamergate.09/16/2014 - 9:06am
quiknkoldhttp://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2014/09/15/the-gamergate-movement-is-making-terrific-progress-don-t-stop-now09/16/2014 - 8:54am
james_fudgeme either.09/16/2014 - 8:54am
E. Zachary KnightI understand what Wikileaks twitter was getting at, but I have no clue what that article was getting at.09/16/2014 - 8:45am