New Bill in Congress Would Add Cigarette-like Warning Labels to Video Games

A California Congressman with a long history of targeting video games for legislation is at it again.

Last week Rep. Joe Baca (D) introduced H.R. 231, a bill which would require that warning labels be placed on any game rated T (13 and older) or higher by the ESRB. Baca’s bill is titled "The Video Game Health Labeling Act of 2009."

Rep. Frank Wolf (R-VA) co-sponsored the measure which would apply to both packaged and digitally distributed games. The bill has been referred to the House Energy & Commerce Committee.

As reported by the San Bernardino Sun:

[The bill] creates a new rule within the Consumer Product Safety Commission, which forces games with a Teen rating or higher to be sold with a simple warning label, reading: "WARNING: Excessive exposure to violent video games and other violent media has been linked to aggressive behavior."

While Baca has proposed several video game-oriented bills in Congress over the years, none have passed. Lately, he seems to have focused his attention on the ESRB rating process.

In 2007 Baca introduced a bill which would have required the Federal Trade Commission to report on the ESRB’s effectiveness.

UPDATE: Rep. Baca’s office has issued a press release on H.R. 231, including these comments from the Congressman:

178 comments

1. socialmaker says:

Hehe I enjoy the sarcasm but games have shown their ugly face that’s for sure. I know I barely quit my WoW addiction so it would be a bit safer to take these things seriously.

_____________________________-

linux dedicated servers

Ne quid nimis.

2. BrandonL337 says:

mod ends when the blue text ends Devo my dear friend.

There have always been motherf*ckers, there will always be motherf*ckers, but what we can’t do is let them control our motherf*cking lives. -John Oliver, December 1st, 2008

3. Derovius says:

"Blue ink and an "AE:" are what I use to identify any edits I make to someone else’s post."

Which you set manually; all we have to go on is your word that those are the only lines of text you added/removed. Hardly impartial, wouldn’t you agree?

AE: I’m leaving your reply because I did ask you questions in my last post.  I’m also inserting my comments for compression’s sake.  A reply might make my post unreadable.

Yep, all you have is my word and I’ve done nothing to make you or anyone else doubt it.  And no, I absolutely do not agree that simply having the ability to edit posts would call my impartiality into question.

"Again, as far as I know, Shadow didn’t contact Dennis.  The email you received from EZK was prompted by another reader."

I was unaware that you’re in a position to talk about matters better me, EZK and Dennis. Funny, really, that you are trying to correct me about whats going on, seeing as you’re not in the email loop. You should really not be speculating at this point, mod.

I’m not speculating.  Ever hear of a blind carbon copy?  Dennis, EZK, and I all discussed how to proceed before EZK sent you an email.  We decided that you have many valuable viewpoints to contribute to GamePolitics.  You just need to lighten up the tone a bit to make the experience more palatable for everyone.

"What are you talking about?  More what?  And yes, I could edit my response into your post but why would I?"

I was stating, rather clearly, that you and Shadow are cut from the same cloth. Disappointing that there has to be a mod like that fool in here.

Well that doesn’t answer my question at all.

"Okay, that’s enough for this thread.  I’ve created a forum topic for further discussion if anyone’s so inclined."

Good for you? This discussion is staying here, seeing as I have no access to your forums nor will I be applying for them.

AE: Suit yourself.

4. Andrew Eisen says:

Dennis is aware of the issue a few readers have with Derovius.

Derovius has added many interesting viewpoints to several different discussions and his opinion is welcome and valued here.  Being a bit unpleasant and contrary is not in violation of the TOS but having said that, he has been at times abusive and has been asked to adjust his comments and tone accordingly.

Andrew Eisen

5. Andrew Eisen says:

"…short of the fact that you change the colour of the text you edit, there is no outward sign that you’re tampered with posts."

"If I were to whine to Dennis, not unlike Shadow did…"

"I would be no better than him. Or you for that matter. Unlike you two, I take mine on the chin and ask for more. So, Andrew, do you have more or are you just wasting my time?"

Andrew Eisen

6. Shadow D. Darkman says:

Wow, my annoyance at deoVIRUS boils to a crisp and afterwards, this comes up. I confess I wasn’t expecting it.

Speaking of Dennis, it’s becoming clear the mods aren’t going to be enough. We might need Dennis himself out here looking at this, and deciding once and for all what is going to happen.

———————————————————–

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

7. HarmlessBunny says:

I think you are missing the point, Dero. Your behavior is exceeding far below being mature and civil. Take it back by a notch, and stop trying to pick fights. You dislike Shadow and Andrew, we get it. However quit the emo trip and maybe post something constructive? No need to drag this into an all out flame war.

Ah well, take offense to the message or not…peace man. Hope this doesn’t continue on :\

8. Derovius says:

I’m sure Stalin thought the same thing as he pured everyone he thought was against him. You walk a very thin line, short of the fact that you change the colour of the text you edit, there is no outward sign that you’re tampered with posts.

If I were to whine to Dennis, not unlike Shadow did in regards to me and the proposed ban, I would be no better than him. Or you for that matter. Unlike you two, I take mine on the chin and ask for more. So, Andrew, do you have more or are you just wasting my time? Surely you could snip your response into this post as well. It does seem to be the emerge trend, yes?

9. Andrew Eisen says:

My true character, huh?  Well if doing what I feel is right and standing by my convictions is representative of my true character, then I guess I don’t have to worry too much about saving face.

Anyway, if you think I’m abusing my power and somehow weakening people’s faith in GP as a place for sharing their opinions then contacting the editor is the appropriate thing to do.  There’s no shame in that.

Andrew Eisen

10. Father Time says:

First thing I thought of was thank you for smoking, for some reason.

—————————————————-

11. Father Time says:

Darn you I was going to edit it out after realizing the line calling it fiction may incite pointless bickering over religion.

—————————————————-

12. Derovius says:

Difference being that people kill in the name of religion; people don’t kill in the name of Jack Ryan.

13. Father Time says:

Don’t worry folks it says may, we’re not 100% sure yet, but let’s waste time and energy warning people of things we’re not too sure about. I’m sure our credibility will be fine if it turns out we were wrong.

—————————————————- Debates are like merry go rounds Two people take their positions then they go through the same points over and over and over again. Then when it’s over they have the same positions they started in.

14. Derovius says:

Contact GP? Wow, this place sure has turned into tattle tale central. I gave you the chance to save face, you failed to take advantage of it. I guess I have to remove it myself.

EDIT: Well I guess we’re beyond that point aren’t we? Disappointing. Thanks for showing your true character AE. I hope you change my (and other peoples) posts in the future and weaken peoples "faith" in GP as a place for sharing their opinions.

15. Andrew Eisen says:

If don’t feel that what I’ve done is out of line.  If you disagree, contact GP.

Andrew Eisen

16. Father Time says:

That’s a great idea, we can put images of violent games onto a T shirt (even if it’s just the box art) along with the caption.

"Warning: The contents of this T-Shirt might lead to something happening somwhere if there was already a good chance of it happening and there is a statistical possibility of it being negative."

"We aren’t really sure though"

Dennis when is the next T-Shirt competition?

—————————————————-

17. Derovius says:

"You accused Shadow of something he didn’t do.  I felt that was something that merited an instant correction.  Yes, I could have put it in a reply but because the single comment I was referring to is buried in the center of a rather lengthy post, I decided a quick insert was more appropriate."

I certain hope you don’t decide on how to administer the rules, they are immutable, or atleast they better be, otherwise this is nothing more than an oligarchy. You are allowed to edit replies that are in violation of the ToS of this site. I seriously doubt that you are allowed to edit replies to correct them.

Remove it.

18. Derovius says:

"You accused Shadow"

Egads, using my super magnificant brain and some reasoning powers I’ve come up with an ingenius method for replying to sections for a post. I think I’ll call it… Control C. Yes, that sounds good. Almost sexy.

In the future, remember where the mod ends and the user begins. If you can’t tell, how can the rest of us?

19. Andrew Eisen says:

Andrew Eisen

20. Derovius says:

"AE: Actually, it was another reader"

Reply like a normal person. Don’t use your mod. edit rights to add information here, there and everywhere. You have one job, and one job alone; to censor. So unless this is a censor, act like any other user and hit the reply button.

21. Derovius says:

"Just gonna tell you now and get it over with. You’re not really respected around here, even if Sage stalks you or Keddren joins you."

Because respect from complete strangers on the internet is something worth coveting? Ha.

"I don’t claim to have much respect myself, either. Truth is, I don’t give a shit if I do or not. I started commenting here to voice my opinions on topics that catch my attention, which, before you say that, is not every topic here."

What is this? Fucking Oprah? Why do I care what your feelings are?

"I don’t claim to know why you’re here, and I honestly don’t give a rat’s ass, but it’s looking more and more like you’re here to crown yourself so high of an authority of GamePolitics that even Dennis can’t even do his job without your say-so."

Its Dennis’s site, he can do as he pleases. The rest of you people are fair game.

"Unfortunately for you, that’s not gonna happen. Not on Dennis’ watch, not on EZK’s watch, not on Andrew’s watch, not even on my watch. And I dare you to try. Go for it, why don’t you?"

I’m slightly confused; what have I been doing for the last little while? Oh yeah, just that. Confusion abaited.

"You’ve been scolded by one mod and argued with another. I honestly can’t wait to see you debate Dennis on other users’ behavior, be it my allged "emo" FacePalm, or Alevan stating that she would slap a kid if they acted like Jack Thompson, or people like DavCube, who just disagreed with you."

Who the hell is DavCube? And EZK reaps what he sows, if he took his mod duties seriously, he’d have one account/alias to adjust ToS violations and another to present his opinion. When he combines both into one, he is as viable a target as anyone else on here for being challenged. Same goes for Andrew.

"Twenty bucks says your high-and-mighty ass gets the Big Bad BanHammer for your shit. In fact, I’m surprised you have NOT been banned already. I wonder what Dennis is waiting for."

Oh, so you are the whiny little twat who got that going [AE: Actually, it was another reader]. Thanks for being so upfront about it, not I’m sure you’ll be even more popular. As someone said before, whining to the higher up makes you look like a fucking joke. Time to climb down from the monkey bars kid, the playgrounds closed.

"NovaBlack said it best. "Grow up." Indeed, grow up. You are a disrespectful embarrassment to us all here at GamePolitics. In fact, you always get butthurt when someone pwns your ass."

Ahahaha, I do love it when people make such wonderful hypocrites of themselves for all to see. I barely lift a finger and you plant that foot of yours so snugly in your mouth.

"I’d say more, but then I’d be no better than you."

Little late kiddo.

"(Hmph, I told you I would do it. All I had to do was make some edits for it to fit in here. Mods, please do not edit this. I don’t care if you edit his replies or not, just not this one, since he definitely has been Trolling around here, and we’re all fed up with his shit.)"

Oh, so the rules apply to everyone else but you huh? Do you shoot magic pixie dust out your ass at the snap of your fingers to? Do tell.

22. ddrfr33k says:

And my state (MN) has no representatives in this committee.  (Edit: Amy Klobuchar’s in the senate. *self-facepalm*)  Screw that . . .

23. Shadow D. Darkman says:

Just gonna tell you now and get it over with. You’re not really respected around here, even if Sage stalks you or Keddren joins you. I don’t claim to have much respect myself, either. Truth is, I don’t give a shit if I do or not. I started commenting here to voice my opinions on topics that catch my attention, which, before you say that, is not every topic here. I don’t claim to know why you’re here, and I honestly don’t give a rat’s ass, but it’s looking more and more like you’re here to crown yourself so high of an authority of GamePolitics that even Dennis can’t even do his job without your say-so. Unfortunately for you, that’s not gonna happen. Not on Dennis’ watch, not on EZK’s watch, not on Andrew’s watch, not even on my watch. And I dare you to try. Go for it, why don’t you?

*takes a deep breath*

I’d say more, but then I’d be no better than you.

——————————————————————————

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

24. hayabusa75 says:

Without getting into your anti-alcohol rant, you don’t need a rock-solid link to lung cancer to know that cigarettes are harmful.  Ever hear of emphysema?

"There is no sin except stupidity." – Oscar Wilde

25. Inimical says:

This wasn’t meant to be serious. Yes, studies have shown the same apparent relationship, I was just pointing out how ludicrous it is to want a cigarette-like warning on games. I’m not saying anyone who sees a gun will go out and shoot and/or kill people.

26. GrimCW says:

heh thats what i’m saying, a little knowledge goes a long way :p

my dads biggest complaint is that these days people don’t teach their kids to (as he puts it) RESPECT the weapon (guns). they aren’t tought when young, or youngish to understand the dangers of the gun and how to treat it properly or with "respect" as was in his day (he’s had a shotgun since he was 13)

like i said above, i never had hands on experience till my military time, but i always got the lecture due to vidja game violence and movies :p

never point at a person, loaded or not. Never handle a loaded weapon unless with intent to use said weapon, never store a weapon loaded (one that many people neglect, and is how kids and others get killed, even experienced vets when they go to clean their gun can forget a loaded shell and basic safety (check the chamber before handling, or handing off) then BANG, someone takes a shot to the face/foot/ceiling whatever) etc…

heh i like how they ban marjuana as a "gateway drug" but not tobbacco, despite its the first base in the run for things like marijuana.

27. vellocet says:

I don’t mean to imply that guns aren’t tools.  I’m actually pretty ignorant when it comes to American Gun Culture.  I’m just curious.  And in fact I support gun ownership by people who are responsible.  I didn’t say that owning a gun encouraged violence… I said that owning a gun caused (in the same way that he says games do in his bill) to violent behaviour (firing it).

Anyway, I believe that in order for a person to be responsible, they must be educated, healthy and feel safe.  Things that seem to be horribly mishandled in the last 8 years (IMO).

Makese you wonder why drugs are illegal.  Drugs are only really dangerous in the hands of people who can’t control themselves.  Marilyn Manson once said "Those that abuse drugs, make those who use drugs look bad".  I tend to agree with him.

28. Zero Beat says:

Not 100% certain, but I think you can show that the person making the statement should know that their statements aren’t true to get a slander or libel charge to stick.  That might carry a lesser penalty or count for malice.

"That’s not ironic. That’s justice."

29. Zero Beat says:

That’s the beauty of the words "may," "might," and "maybe."  Neither is a definitive "yes," more of a "we think so, but we’re not 100% sure," so if/when it’s proven wrong, you have an out.

"That’s not ironic. That’s justice."

30. Zero Beat says:

Not wasting money on passing unconstitutional bills and then being sued by affected parties to have the bill struck down and then to pay for both sides’ lawyer fees is a good way to eliminate wasteful spending.

See also: Not being stupid.

"That’s not ironic. That’s justice."

31. gamegod25 says:

*WARNING: Exposure to this post might cause choking, headaches, back pain, heart attack, diarrhea, restless leg syndrome, low resale value of your home, delusions of grandure, brain tooth, wandering bladder, and anal seepage.

*literally rotflol* XD

32. GrimCW says:

no warnings on guns, but a signed statement saying you do know the dangers of using a gun (least in my area i had to sign one. Especially if you go for a pistol license)

i’m not big on the banning, but some training should be needed IMHO so that people are informed at least of the dangers, and proper handling (check the chamber even if you know its unloaded, never point at a person, etc…)

much like getting a drivers license and having to go through all that shmup detailing road rules, and dangers of driving in bad situations (bad weather, drunk, fatigued, etc..)

33. GrimCW says:

you can’t exactly compare it with those, as they aren’t designed to kill on purpose. guns are tools MEANT for the purpose of KILLING (be it hunting, defense, or otherwise). and as such with sword, bows/arrows, it is a weapon.

a better comparison would be swords, tanks, or bombs. On their own, their harmless, but in the wrong hands…

but even a car, chainsaw, or power tool can be used (and are often so) for killing as a weapon. ANYTHING can be a weapon, but only certain TOOLS are DESIGNED for the purpose.

i’m not against guns (i own an AK myself, and seek to get other firearms), but to think of them as merely a harmless tool is to open the doors for complacency that could lead to a mistake in handling the firearm. (such as the kid that decided to play some RL halo and forgot to check the chamber)

so i DO agree in keeping them from untrained hands where they can become dangerous, but outright banning isn’t in my thoughts.

34. E. Zachary Knight says:

Right now the bill has been referred to the House Energy and Commerce Committee. If any of you have a Congressman in the committee let them know:

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

35. LAG - Law Abiding Gamer says:

Excellent point EZK.  That would be a much better response.  Keep it polite and factual too.  Congressfolks rarely pay much attention to rants (do that here ).

***Homicide-free video gaming since 1972!***

36. DarkTetsuya says:

Except for religion, I do believe they all have that already.

Why not a law that requires people to read the f***ing thing before they make their purchase?

Would probably be more useful than another label that just gets ignored, don’t you think?

300 Episodes and counting: http://www.orangeloungeradio.com/

37. E. Zachary Knight says:

I think I owe a bit more of an explaination. It would be pointless for all of us to contact Baca himself. He likely won’t be swayed by people who are not in his district and thus cannot vote for or against him in any election.

It would be better served for each of us to contact our own Congressman and asked them to kill this one in its infancy.

Here is alink for that:

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

38. zel says:

more flawed assumptions, show me a study that proves where simple ownership of guns = violent person…  lets not become these politicians ourselves…

————————————

I am a signature virus, please copy and paste me into your signature to help me propagate.

39. zel says:

No, there are no warning labels on guns.

I wouldn’t agree with you on violent behaviour just cause you own a gun, i have several and rarely commit violence against anyone at all, ever, so your logic is flawed.

Now I do have a dog that does really stupid crap, and that pisses my off and i spank her on the ass till she runs and hide under the coffee table, so i think pet ownership = violence 😛

I did almost get into a big fist fight with my brother-in-law but that was only because he almost killed my sister so i think that was justified.

————————————

40. Ashkihyena says:

More epic failure from the politicans, more epic failure thats, well, bound to fail.  Oh, and *facepalm*

41. Matthew says:

From here it is an imperceptibly small step to the following warning label:

WARNING: Excessive exposure to this book has been linked to aggressive behavior.

And that is already known and accepted to be an avenue right-thinking societies do not go down.

42. Brainswarm says:

I think a better comparison would be vaccines being linked to Autism.  There is no real proof, just a bunch of anecdotal evidence, and there are a bunch of nutjobs who insist it’s true no matter what evidence to the contrary you show them.

43. GoodRobotUs says:

One could argue that the most aggressive and judgemental people on the planet are those in positions of influence, only when they are aggressive, they call it ‘being forthright’. America aggressively pursued Terrorists, Thompson aggressively pursues Video Game legislation, they are all acts of aggression, someone using their own ‘strength’ to compel another person to do something, in fact, it would almost be coercion were there not mechanisms to prevent it. Politicians and other Media-Sensitive figures will twist the meaning of the word ‘agression’ to suit their own tastes.

The truth is, people like this Politician don’t actually know what they want, they seem to think that their entire agressive stance with regards to a great many topics somehow has no effect on younger generations who are watching, but that playing Video games, which are played across the world with wildly varying effects, do.

44. Praetorian says:

Guns are only as bad as the people that use them for violence.

If hammers were in a large amount of killing sprees, everyone would scream that hammers are evil and should be banned.

Blaming guns and video games for death and violence is like blaming a writing stylus for spelling errors!

Praetorian

"I’ve been told I’m the resident skeptic, but I wouldn’t believe that."

ECA Seattle Chapter

45. Inimical says:

You know what else has been linked to aggressive behaviour? The presence of a gun.

Why is there no warning label on handguns? You know… things that actually KILL PEOPLE.

46. GoodRobotUs says:

Didn’t realise it was that close to the end of the tax year to be honest.

Gotta get rid of all that money, else they can’t justify asking for more next year.

47. axiomatic says:

Not unless they add the same messaging to TV, Movies, DVD’s, Blu-Ray’s, Sports events and RELIGION. Oh and sex.

48. PeterWDAwson says:

WARNING: Supporting HR 231 has been linked higher blood pressure, the urge to join mariachi bands and High School Musical 3.

49. hellfire7885 says:

Because in an economic crisis it makes perfect sense to waste money so politicians feel better about themselves XP

50. ZippyDSMlee says:

A gun is only a weapon when used against the living. Otherwise its a tool.

Akin to how the Mind dissmissing logic and reason when its under used, dissing you BTW, I am targeting PC zero thought nazis and Moralists.

Gore,Violence,Sexauilty,Fear,Emotion these are but modes
    of transportation of story and thought, to take them from
    society and you create a society of children and nannys.

51. ZippyDSMlee says:

Just stick a wanring lable on all fiction(includeing the bible) Warning:Works of fiction may make you think, wish and or act "diffrently".

Gore,Violence,Sexauilty,Fear,Emotion these are but modes
    of transportation of story and thought, to take them from
    society and you create a society of children and nannys.

52. vellocet says:

Actually, I think you’re talking about second hand smoke.  Cigarettes are clinically proven to be damaging to your health.

53. vellocet says:

Just out of curiosity… We don’t really have a lot of guns up here in Canada… are there warning labels on guns?

To me, just firing a gun is an act of violence.  And by that reasoning, the ownership of a gun causes violent behaviour.

54. GrimCW says:

and just like with cigerettes its all a theory thats 100% unproven.

at least the government warning labels will be consistant in being nothing more than scare tactics to fear monger a few more votes by pretending theiy care in a "no truth here, move along" sorta manner.

55. Shadow D. Darkman says:

So slim no microscope, regardless of how strong, can see just how slim. I say slim instead of Absolute Zero b/c there’s always the chance that somehow, some way, it might pass. If it does pass, ten to one it gets struck down.

——————————————————————————

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

56. Aliasalpha says:

Nah that’d still make it more expensive to print the labels, remember thse things are going to be on EVERYTHING, it’ll have to be more generic, "Exposure to this item" perhaps?

57. beemoh says:

Oh, for pity’s sake.

We have a ratings system already, one that it clearer and more comprehensive than its equivalent in film. This sort of thing is what it is for. There is no need to augment it further.

Baca, either try and solve a real problem or hand your political seat over to somebody who will.

/b

58. Praetorian says:

Wow!

Inconceivable! A mere warning label would easily keep people from buying these horrible games and saving the moral degredation of the USA!

Yes! I see it now, something that really makes more sense….Joe Baca…he’s…a moron! Glad he’s in California; not that Washington reps are any better!

I think his proposed bill needs a warning label for making me violent. I played Fallout 3 all weekend and didn’t feel any agressive behavior from it…infact, my roommate caught me giggling like the Joker after I knocked an Enclave solider off a cliff side with the Victory Rifle. It was really funny because he landed on a Deathclaw.

Hmmm, maybe watching Batman: The Animated Series made me violent…we’d better act fast to put a label on it so I don’t become like those corrupt and incompetent politicians!

Praetorian

"I’ve been told I’m the resident skeptic, but I wouldn’t believe that."

ECA Seattle Chapter

59. zel says:

I like this warning label. It should be applied to everything, and i mean EVERYTHING, just switch out "game" with whatever its on. I want it on a t-shirt 😛

————————————

60. Aliasalpha says:

How about this as a replacement one?

Warning: The contents of this game might lead to something happening somwhere if there was already a good chance of it happening and there is a statistical possibility of it being negative.

Or not, frankly we’re not quite sure at this point

61. Conejo says:

Congressman Joe Baca:

EZK: Snipped contact information. I know it is public information, but let others find it themselves.

write, call, have others do the same.  bills should not be based on LIES.

Here are we — and yonder yawns the universe.

62. sqlrob says:

There is no "might as well" about it, it’s "must". All media or none, nothing less is constitutional.

63. BearDogg-X says:

Yet another unconstitutional pile of garbage from an idiot that’s failed multiple times to get any traction on this dead issue.

There is simply no concrete evidence/absolute proof whatsoever that there is any harm from playing a "violent" video game, regardless of what the anti-game mafia claims.

Please feel free to use our tax dollars for better things, like the Morganza to the Gulf hurricane protection levees for SE Louisiana, as well as restoring the wetlands in Louisiana.

Geaux Saints, Geaux Tigers, Geaux Hornets, Jack Thompson can geaux chase a chupacabra.

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

64. BlindJustice15 says:

Once again, Mr. Baca proves he fits in the definition of baka, which is Japanese fro moron or idiot.

65. black manta says:

Nightwing had it right.  If you’re going to put a warning label on something that might cause someone to become violent, then you might as well put warning labels on every form of popular entertainment.  Again, as with just about every other proposed video game law, this runs afoul of both the 1st and 14th Amendment as it is singling out one particular fomr of media.  I’m surprised at how after many years so many politicians, particularly this asshole, continually fail to grasp that.  Then again, we know now that politicians, by their own admission, don’t particularly care wether a bill is legal or not as they prefer to let the courts decide that.

Let me look into my crystal ball here.  I see…this bill…going nowhere.  Just like all the others Congress proposed that have come before it.

66. HarmlessBunny says:

My god, those @#$*%ing nitwits. So they are supporting something that is unfounded and unproven to "save the children"? Literally there are hundreds of millions of gamers that grew up through the 80’s and 90’s…how many serial killers were made? I can tell you that I was born 83, and I have never commited a violent crime…

67. Solipsis says:

Hear hear! The whole point of rating a game "T" is to suggest that it might not be appropriate for people under a certain age… It’s the worst kind of redundancy to make them add a separate warning label.

*EDIT* Besides, not every "T+" rated game is for violence… What would happen if they slapped a "May lead to aggressive behavior" on, say, the Sims2…? That’s T-rated mostly for blurred out nudity etc.

68. GrimCW says:

true true.

but the cancer thing is 100% still in theory, they’ve no solid evidence of it, yet claim it as a fact.

my great grandpa died at 93, worked the coal mines and smoked straight pipe tobacco since he was 13. even had a massive case of black lung, but no cancer.

but what doesn’t cause cancer these days? i mean we’ve already black listed half of life, next thing you know oxygen will be a cause of some kind of lung or brain cancer right?   or i know, FARTS! lets have farts cause cancer next! where do i go to raise fart cancer awareness? lets claim it causes butt cancer! hah!

IMHO all that time wasted blasting tobacco should be spent on something that, i dunno, actually kills people. like alchohol. just some true awareness, not a bleeding poster or two. I mean you can find more complaints about tobacco and only a few against alchohol, a true poison of the most literal sense. even when i was in school years ago they BARELY touched on the alchoholism thing but blasted tobbaco. most signs, posters billboards, even commercials are all about how tobbacco smoke kills, but few show the truth behind drunk driving, or alchohol poisoning, or even mention other debilitating issues of getting drunk.

i like my whiskey, but come on, i think a bottle of crown will kill me a LOT faster than a lifetime of ciggaretes (actually i don’t smoke, but better to claim me than plaster someone else). its PROVEN fact that booze can kill (blood loss, poisoning, drunk driving, etc…) as opposed to the theory of cancer from ciggaretes. i do believe my whiskey is a bit more deadly than a ciggarette puff, and it stinks much worse (in the end.. hah get it! bad pun intended) 🙂

i strike it mostly from a key note of being an ex sailor, my time in the navy revealed a LOT about alchoholism i never knew before hand. and i’ve had to stand my fair share of "drunk watches" over idiots that would nearly kill themselves after getting wasted (one guy from a head injury after falling onto a towel rack, and another from punching a hole into a wire meshed window and nearly severing a major artery within 1/10 of an inch all the way from wrist to elbow)

ya just don’t hear about a lot of this stuff from public outlets and media. i mean whats more likely to push a person to murder or suicide? a ciggarette or booze? yeah the age limit on the two is differant, booze being higher, but does that make it any less generalized as a "good" thing to the younger crowd seeing it openly praised by many, especially at sporting events and the like?

69. BearDogg-X says:

Note that several idiots that have either authored unconstitutional legislation or criticized the industry in recent years just so happen to be on that committee:

Jim Matheson(Utah), Lee Terry(Nebraska), Fred Upton(Michigan), Cliff Stearns(Florida), Marsha Blackburn(Tennessee)

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

70. Shadow D. Darkman says:

"Oh, and *facepalm*"

*snort* Cue deoVIRUS calling you "emo" and a "Shadow wannabe" in 3… 2… 1…

(Quite seriously, he had better not show his mug, or I might copy my post from that thread about a six-year-old driving a car.)

——————————————————————————

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

71. Dan says:

The first thing I thought after reading that:

"BULLSHIT!"

It really was.

——————————— Ago. Perceptum. Teneo.

72. GrimCW says:

its also still a tool when used in the way of law enforcement, military operations, and hunting.

its a tool yes, but a weapon too irregardless in a persons hands and should be treated as such with caution, its only a DANGEROUS weapon when misused, or your on the wrong end and/or doing the wrong thing with it.

i mean, you wouldn’t swing a knife around like its a baton twirler would ya?

i think my dad hits the nail on the head when he complains its complacency and misinformed stupidity that causes people to think guns alone are dangerous. you RESPECT the gun and treat it with caution no matter what. the gun alone is nothing more than a hunk of metal, but in the hands of an individual it can become a very dangerous weapon.

its dangerous on its own, but the chance of a gun misfireing on its own is as likely as a properly fitted tire falling off your car.

73. GrimCW says:

i’ve got a better one but if i posted that i’d be insta banned i’m sure 🙂 i DO love a good contraversy.

74. Waffles says:

"WARNING: Excessive exposure to violent video games and other violent media has been linked to aggressive behavior"

Except it hasn’t…..?

I swear, what do they not understand about a little box in the corner of a game that has a symbol telling you what age group its for? Does a game rating have like, glitter and neon lights surrounding it to draw attention?

75. ZippyDSMlee says:

Its a tool thats no more dangerous than a car,chainsaw or power tool. The thought of its bad lets ban it is flawed for humanity is bad shall we ban it?

Resoanbleness is lost on moral cresaders who beliver in the absolution of all things human.

Gore,Violence,Sexauilty,Fear,Emotion these are but modes
    of transportation of story and thought, to take them from
    society and you create a society of children and nannys.

76. ZippyDSMlee says:

Depends on what you mean by change of thought or deed, when consumeing storys people may or may not change thier life to avoid the down sides that might apper in a story.

"May change","May effect" is vauge, as is the effects cused by the consumption of media, I think it is more how we rise the next generation to be wittless media grazers and apethic citzens is far more  damning than the commen wealth of all media put togather.

Gore,Violence,Sexauilty,Fear,Emotion these are but modes
    of transportation of story and thought, to take them from
    society and you create a society of children and nannys.

77. TehChef says:

My father owns quite a collection of guns, most inherited from his father before him. Both men are/were some of the most non-violent men I know. They were trained (as I was) to respect the weapons, not treat them like some piece of metal that makes you look cool. If you do this, then the gun will not get up out of it’s safe, walk across the room, and discharge itself in the presence of people. I’m afraid someone with malicious intent, or someone who’s being an all around dumbass are the only people that can accomplish that feat. Why don’t we go around putting warning labels on wrenches? I’m sure many people have been killed with a wrench in the time since wrenches were invented, that must surely make them dangerous, people killing weapons…

78. Halox says:

This whole country is starting to get crazy now with labels and warnings. What ever happened to good ole’ common sense accompanied by some decent parenting. Who thought it would be a good idea to let the government decide whats in the best interest of the people? I am personally going through a battle with the FDA right now over our electronic cigarettes. The FDA thinks it would be a good idea to ban our electronic cigarettes, while Big Tobacco goes on killing people (and the gov gets tax dollars). Every indicator shows that e-cigarettes are safer than tobacco, yet the gov thinks its a good idea to take control for the people. Its very frustrating.

Johnny Blaze
    What is an electronic cigarette?

79. Vake Xeacons says:

This bill is rated M for Moronic, by the ESRB for:

Blatant Stupidity

Unconstitutionalism

Use of Crap for brains

80. sqlrob says:

Hey GP, the link is broken.

Does this apply to all media? From the name, no. Break out the UNCONSTITUTIONAL stamp.

81. timada says:

Why is this guy so obsessive about video games? It’s not like the millions of people buying and playing games everyday are turning into murders. You might as well put warning signs on any movie that has violence as well… I wish this guy would be fired.

82. GameShark says:

WARNING: Excessive pointless legislation may lead to congressional job opening.

He can purpose just as much if not more pointless legistation as a private citizen.What a good way to spend tax payers money and to abuse what little time he has left.

Honestly there is so much more he should be focusing on. I hope he and others like him are replaced by someone who can put their petty disagreements on how our childern should be raised (by parents not the gov) and actually does what they should be doing.

83. Bennett Beeny says:

"The video game industry has a responsibility to parents, families, and to consumers – to inform them of the potentially damaging content that is often found in their products."

By that reasoning, every product ever made should have a warning label.  Everything is ‘potentially damaging’.  There’s not a single product on this planet that is 100% guaranteed not to be potentially damaging.

What next – food labels that say that food can potentially choke you?  I mean how friggen stupid do lawmakers have to get?

84. ChrowX says:

"The video game industry has a responsibility to parents, families, and to consumers"

No, they don’t. Once you have purchased a videogame, it is up to the consumer to take responsibility for their own actions. This kind of mindset is moving along the same lines of putting the responsibility to act witha  little common sense int he hands other the companies, the government, and any other organization so the parents don’t have to do all of that hard decision making. I don’t see how this warning label BS is going to get anywhere.

"Meanwhile research continues to show a proven link between playing violent games and increased aggression in young people."

Actually, it’s been the other way from what I’ve seen. The only thing that research has proven is that an unhelathy amount of exposure to anything has the potential to mess with a person’s behavior. The research they’ve come up with is along the lines of, "If a person watches a video of someone being brutally murdered with a chainsaw for 6 hours they may begin to have thoughts about murder."

85. Dante says:

"WARNING: Excessive exposure to Joe Baca and other Idiot Congressmen has been linked to aggressive behavior."

86. G-Meister says:

Acutally, I think this bill is a great idea, they just stop short.

What they need to do is label *everything* this way. Especially sports. Don’t let any baseball, basketball, football or shuttlecock go un-marked. Parents should be warned of the highly aggresive behavior that is spawned from these implements in their children, sometimes even spreading to the parents themselves.

We can only hope that later legistlation will do more to stem the tide of violence between players eternally flowing from sporting events around the world.

</sarcasm>

87. thefremen says:

This guy come from my backyard and all you need to know about him is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Baca under "controversies". This guy has been in the wrong for quite a while, ethics-wise.

There is FAR too much crime and poverty in his district for him to be focusing on such trivial nonsense. It’s a fairly mormon part of the state but I’m not sure if they’ll like this all that much.

88. EvilTikiMan says:

I think that there is something to that "bill". Remove the focus on the governments attack on video games and replace it with a more general statement that condems their waste of time and our money on stupid topics in general, with video games being one of them.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Responsibility: Something that everyone has, but no one seems to want when something goes wrong. -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

89. BearDogg-X says:

It’s already turning into Idiocracy, then again it already has.

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

90. TBoneTony says:

I think we should have a new bill submitted by the readers of game politics.

The Politicians of the USA has a responsibility to parents, families, and to consumers – to inform them of the potentially damaging comments that is often found in their speechers. They have repeatedly failed to live up to this responsibility.  Meanwhile research continues to show a proven link between blaming violent games and increased waste of tax payers money in the American Governemnt.  American families deserve to know the truth about these potentially dangerous legislation especilly in a time of Recession.

We must hold the Politicians of the USA accountable and do everything in our power to ensure parents are aware of the detrimental effects that blaming violent games can have before making decisions on which legislation are appropriate for politicians to make. I am proud to introduce the Stop blaming Video Game for the Violence in Children & Health Labeling Act of 2009, and am hopeful my legislation can work to stop the growing influence of waste of tax payers money on America’s legislation that goes against the freedoms of youth speech and expression protected by the 1st Admendment of the US constitiution.

How about that?

Should we try to pass something like that?

91. Zerodash says:

I can’t wait to see the USA and the Western World in the next 10-20 years.  Taxes or outright laws aginst fatty foods.  Warning labels on EVERYTHING.  People afraid of everything new.  Businesses afraid to release products or even open their doors lest they get sued.  Its going to be friggin’ Demolition Man…

92. Wolvenmoon says:

There are not warning labels on TV that take unrated media. There are not warning labels on radio stations. There are not warning labels on movies. Only ratings.

93. Bigman-K says:

This is one of the most idiotic bills i’ve ever seen proposed. Hope this dipshit get booted out of congress next election although i doubt it. Kim-Jong could be running as a democrat in california and still win because he’s got democrat under his name. Anyone else hate the rampant nanny-statism, protectionism and pro-censorship bullshit amoungst the Democrats these days. We need a party that is fiscal/economic: moderate liberal and social/civil: libertarian. No more of this nanny-state bullshit.

"No law means no law" – Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black on the First Amendment

94. hellfire7885 says:

What next, a bill requiring game store employees to wear hazmat suits because of prolonged exposure?

95. Zero Beat says:

Whoops, I meant "jiggling."  And apparently, I can’t fix that now.  The edit button disappeared.

"That’s not ironic. That’s justice."

96. Zero Beat says:

I would like a law about bills that politicians either know wouldn’t stand up to constitutional muster or should know wouldn’t stand up to constitutional muster.  I’d call it the "Legislative Negligence Bill" and it’d carry the following penalties:

– The bill’s sponsor(s) would be required to pay out of pocket for court costs.

– Offenders would be required, at their own cost, to submit any further bills they sponsor to a constitutional expert at a major university.

– Repeat offenders would be removed from office immediately and be barred from running for election again due to incompetence in addition to the financial penalty.

Might be too harsh and has no chance of passing, but someone needs to rein in stupidity.

"That’s not ironic. That’s justice."

97. Zero Beat says:

DoAX2 has violently giggling breasts!  They attack each other with their butts!  Tug of war is an assertion of strength!  They almost kill each other with the volleyballs!  The jet-ski crashes are too realistic.

Man, that game’s fun.

"That’s not ironic. That’s justice."

98. LegendaryGamer00 says:

"[The bill] creates a new rule within the Consumer Product Safety Commission, which forces games with a Teen rating or higher to be sold with a simple warning label, reading: "WARNING: Excessive exposure to violent video games and other violent media has been linked to aggressive behavior."

There are SO many things wrong with this… like:

Studies have NOT shown a link to violent video games and aggressive behavior.

It assumes that T or M rated games recieved their rating because of Violent Content. How would it apply to games like Dead or Alive Xtreme 2?

It’s entirely unconstitutional due to it singling out video games.

If he can propose a bill like this, I think I should be able to make one that puts a warning label on Congressmen like him, saying:

WARNING: THIS PERSON HAS BEEN PROVEN TO WASTE TAXPAYER MONEY ON USELESS BS LEGISLATION THAT WAS NOT NEEDED IN THE FIRST PLACE.

(By the way, this is my first post on Gamepolitics )

EDIT: And there is already a "Warning Label", the ESRB ratings. If parents already ignore the rating that is RIGHT ON THE DAMN BOX, what makes him think that parents will pay attention to a little label?

99. MonkeyPeaches says:

Video games have been PROVEN to increase violent behavior? Have I been reading the same reports as this douchebag?

100. TehChef says:

I’m just wondering where the video game industry has "failed" in warning parents about potentially aggressive/harmful/mature content. I mean, the ESRB, in my opinion, has done a pretty good job for being voluntary. I think that it’s the parents’ fault for their failure to do research on whatever little Johnny’s begging them to spend their hard earned cash on. I mean, we already have warning labels right on the boxes of video games; they read E, T, M, AO, etc.

101. jesskarobins110 says:

It’s not just JT this time; a lot of anti-game critics are on this one. But, GP, it’s not just a simple yes or no answer. And the "it’s just a game" argument DOES seem kinda weak. Yes, I do think RE5 is kinda racist. Is it bad? No. No worse than RE4, which was awesome, despite it’s racist imagery. You see, it’s just like any game violence. We know how wrong real racism is, so it doesn’t affect us when we play games like this. But anyone who says that Blacks deserve any special treatment than Hispanics (or anyone else), is truly racist. dissertation | dissertations | dissertation writing | buy dissertation | custom dissertation | dissertation help | online dissertation

102. Geoff says:

Can’t think of a way to use this without citing a specific video game, so I’m gonna use WoW.

"Consult your doctor before playing World of Warcraft.  World of Warcraft should not be played by women who are pregnant or who are thinking about becoming pregnant.  Side effects include sleep deprivation, obsessive grinding, decrease in sexual appetite, cosplay, and random spouts of "l33t" speak.  Playing Everquest or another MMO while playing World of Warcraft may intensify these side effects."

Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cook-book! Little Red Cook-book!

103. BrandonL337 says:

I’m thinking more along the lines of,

[*WARNING] – Congress has been greatly responsible for allowing warmongering, suppression of civil liberties, aggressive government spending, inflation, structuring a Nanny State for us all to live under and the frequent misrepresentation of the constitution by Bush/Cheney.  They are grossly incompetent and/or lazy. Do not vote for them in the next election, elect someone new, seriously guys these people are idiots.

104. TJLK says:

As long as we are putting warning labels on things, how about this idea?

[*WARNING] – Congress has been greatly responsible for warmongering, suppression of civil liberties, aggressive government spending, inflation, structuring a Nanny State for us all to live under and the frequent misrepresentation of the constitution.

So Mr. Joe Baca, what is your opinions on that for giving fair warning to the people for the safety of their family and themselves?

105. TJLK says:

Just to be sure that the people are properly warned about the people putting all these warning labels of things.  =)

Include that in all your bullshit labels, all of your worthless bills and at the bottom of every page of your website and I might be more tolerant.

106. Father Time says:

I can see it now. (Wall of text follows)

Somewhere in the U.S. (or perhaps Germany)

*knock knock*

Open up this is the police, we got word there’s violent video games in there.

(silently) Oh shi-. Err come on in, I’m sure you won’t find a problem

*man presses a button on the wall activating a silent alarm*

Several flights down, people are panicking, several shouts of ‘Dump the Counter Strike’ are heard.

A revolving door replaces a time crisis machine with a DDR one.

Several violent games are ejected out of consoles put into a box dropped through a hole and  soccer games and other such nonviolent fare is popped in.

The police arrive

"What have we here? I’ve been hearing all sorts of rumors about this place, hear there’s all sorts of violent games in here."

"I don’t see any violent games."

"I heard you had time crisis back there where that machine is."

*walks to the DDR and starts feeling around*

"I don’t think I can fit time crisis between the wall and the arcade machine."

"Wise guy eh? You know DDR is a pretty violent game what with all the foot stomping."

"It hasn’t been banned has it?"

"No not yet, but I’d keep your nose clean."

*Police walks arounds*

"What exactly do you need all the consoles for?"

"Soccer games of course."

"Those wouldn’t be the new ones with the hidden soccer riot mode would it?"

"They only sell those in Britain, it’s a seperate sport over there."

"And you didn’t import any?"

"No."

"And what about all these computers, what exactly are you playing … Nascar? I thought you hated that game."

"Well my customers seem to enjoy a good Lan party."

"I bet they do."

"You wouldn’t mind if I check the memory do you?"

"Hey I thought we were friends. Didn’t you get the fruit basket I sent you?"

"No I didn’t, now stand aside."

"Hey pal don’t you need a warrant for that?"

"Yeah but we’re among friends, you wouldn’t have anything on there more violent than GTA: Realisitc Consequences would you?"

"No."

"Then you won’t mind right"

"…Right"

the cop searches through the console memeories, finds nothing incriminating, then leaves. Those in attendance stare flabbergasted at the joint’s owner, wondering why he didn’t find anything. With a smile the man takes a flash drive out of his pocket and shows it to the crowd. After 5 minutes they resume their activity.

—————————————————-

107. Adamas Draconis says:

Booth Girls instead of Flappers? I can live with that image.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

108. HarmlessBunny says:

I wonder if anyone has informed him that he is called ‘idiot’/’fool’ in Japanese….that might get an interesting reaction 😛

Joe Baca-san…anata wa baka desu ka?

109. Andrew Eisen says:

Re: Baca’s press release

You know you’re full of donkey dung when you have to use lies to prove your point.

Andrew Eisen

P.S. – Baca’s name is really funny if you speak Japanese (or watch a lot of anime).

110. Derovius says:

WARNING: This bacon has been shown to cause excessive weight gain, lending to social alienation, peers snickering behind ones back and random, spontaneous heart stopages.

111. Father Time says:

reminds me of a joke, it may have come from you, I can’t remember.

It’s about how no one could prove a food item didn’t contain nuts without opening it so everything had to have the warning ‘may contain nuts’.

—————————————————-

112. metroidprimegmr says:

A WINNAR IS YOU

_____________________________________________

Jack Thompson: future Good Burger employee of the month

113. nightwng2000 says:

So will these warnings be on tickets to Football games, Hockey games, Boxing matches, Wrestling matches?

Will they be on the bottom of screens when these sports are shown on Tv?

Will they be on the bottom of screens for TV news shows?

How about TV shows?

Movie theater tickets, websites showing movie information, movie trailers, etc?

Will they be stamped on books containing violence?

What about music CDs?  Or stated on radio stations that play "violent" music?

Will they require churches that promote bigotry and hate and/or where members of the church have had criminal records place the warnings on their signs?  Or will they have to abide by the US Constitution and not respect one religion over another by making ALL churches put up the warning?

What about religious TV/radio shows that promote bigotry and hate?  Are they exempt?

What about school sports such as football?  Are Parents going to be informed about those violent sports being a danger to kids?

C’mon, let’s be realistic.  If you’re gonna put warnings on some things that MIGHT increase aggression in even a few individuals, then you’ll have to do it for EVERYTHING that MIGHT increase aggression in even a few individuals.

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 has also updated his MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/nightwing2000 Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as http://groups.myspace.com/pfenl

114. Father Time says:

Agressive meditating
    Agressive sleeping

Agressive lollygagging

Agressive Loitering (soon to be featured on ESPN 2).

—————————————————-

115. BrandonL337 says:

Agressive hopscotch

aggresive golf

aggresive hula-hoops

aggresive whispering

aggresive shopping

agressive watching grass grow

116. ddrfr33k says:

Nah, EZK’s just being sarcastic.  Sadly, we really are just one bill away from Eagle Eye and Demolition Man.

117. BrandonL337 says:

Jack? did you hijack Knight’s account?

118. E. Zachary Knight says:

I think it is about time that someone introduces a bill that would start a monitoring service. Everytime that a person buys a video game, that person should have to register in a federally controlled database that will be used to monitor that persons activities. This database will be cross referenced with the FBI’s and the CIA’s criminal database, the database used when performing background checks when purchasing firearms.

Eventually, if the gamer situation becomes too dangerous, we can start rounding these video gamers into camps so that they can be better observed and seperated from the common populous.

After all, these games and the people who play them are dangerous.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
    MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/okceca
    Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1325674091

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

119. Bigman-K says:

Yep, Aggression seems like such a vague and overly broad term.

"No law means no law" – Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black on the First Amendment

120. Andrew Eisen says:

Sure.  Besides, the APA’s statement is pretty soft anyway.

Research suggests an increase

Not proves, not direct causal link, just suggests.

Besides, what is actually meant by aggressive behavior?  Competitiveness?  Name-calling?  Murderous rage?  And exactly how much of an increase?

Until the APA and other groups start addressing the following it going to remain difficult to be impressed or moved by statements like "violent video game play increases aggression."

Andrew Eisen

121. Zero Beat says:

However, it should be noted that aggressive behavior is not necessarily a bad thing.  The word does have a slight negative connotation to it, but there’s good aggressive behavior and bad aggressive behavior.

"That’s not ironic. That’s justice."

122. Adamas Draconis says:

I move for the thurogh application of the Scientific Method and the introduction of emperical evidence into this so-called "Research"! All in favor say "AYE"!

(Personally I think all opposed should talk a long walk off a short galactic arm, but a simple "Nay" will suffice.)

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

123. digdug says:

People would probably blow the air horn longer after listening to one of this idiots congressional speeches too lol. I guess that means we should put a warning label in the middle of his forehead.

Seriously though, you could probably find people blowing the air horn longer for all kinds of content, violent and non-violent. I dont trust these “researchers” anyhow, they always have an anti-violent media agenda – theyre not objective.

124. Derovius says:

Interesting. Too bad the people who make decisions never read into what they are backing. Only thing they consider if the political clout it will offer them.

125. Meohfumado says:

That APA study they always use is faulty and misleading like nobody’s business.

Increased levels of agression were based on playing the video game, and then overseeing somebody take a test, where if they were wrong, you’d blast them with an airhorn.  People who played the violent games blasted the air horn for a little longer than those who did not.

And they chalked that up to increased aggression.  However…they completely forget the fact that they FORCED YOU TO DO SOMETHING AGRESSIVE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!   Nobody just played video games, and radomly started committing aggressive acts, punching puppies and kicking kittens.  Within the context of the study, you were required to punish the incorrect response with the loud buzzer/airhorn.

So they always forget to mention that while performing an aggressive act, if you’ve recently played violent video games, you might exhibit increased levels of aggression.

There are no studies that can prove a link between spontaneous aggession and playing violent games.  So violent video games don’t cause you to act aggressively…but if you are already in an aggressive situation, you are slightly more prone to be more aggressive than somebody who hasn’t played a violent game recently.

This is just due to "having your game face on" and has nothing to do with video games per se.  If the person was watching a violent film, or a series of bone-crunching NFL hits, had a recent argument with a friend/co-worker/spouse, or having an intense workout lately…then the results would most likely be the same….

"You know what I wish? I wish all the scum of the Earth had one throat and I had my hands about it."

126. TJLK says:

I agree.  Though I think that its less about his conviction and more about making the bill more presentable.  I’m not sure which circumstance would be worse.

Time to start sending letters to your representatives.  =)  Get others to do the same.

127. Meggie says:

His choice of "health" in the bill is what’s disturbing, he’s seriously convinced that the link between game playing and behavior is so strong that a "health" warning is needed.

Even this press release can’t back this up…to inform them of the potentially damaging content that is often found in their products.

The video game industry has no more responsiblity than does the film, music, sports, you name it industry.

128. gamegod25 says:

*WARNING: Joe Baca has been linked to wasting taxpayer money on obviously unconstitutional legislation, blatent stupidity, and talking out of his own ***.

129. Waffles says:

Oh God, the update:

"The video game industry has a responsibility to parents, families, and to consumers – to inform them of the potentially damaging content that is often found in their products. They have repeatedly failed to live up to this responsibility.  Meanwhile research continues to show a proven link between playing violent games and increased aggression in young people.  American families deserve to know the truth about these potentially dangerous products.

We must hold the video game industry accountable and do everything in our power to ensure parents are aware of the detrimental effects that violent games can have before making decisions on which games are appropriate for their children to play. I am proud to introduce the Video Game Health Labeling Act of 2009, and am hopeful my legislation can work to stop the growing influence of violent media on America’s children and youth."

And the spiral keeps turning…

130. Shadow D. Darkman says:

Request seconded. Like Kristoph Gavin, we believe in DECISIVE evidence.

Except we’re not Dark and/or super crazy.

——————————————————————————

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

131. JB says:

Based on what conclusive research?

132. MaskedPixelante says:

That’s because there’s no way kids would drink alcohol, since it’s illegal. And we all know that if it’s illegal, then stupid kids won’t do it. But video games aren’t illegal, so kids will still play them, and they must have warning labels. </sarcasm>

—You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

133. Benji says:

Alcohol does in fact have warnings on it – just about every bottle I remember drinking from has a Surgeon General’s warning that the contents 1) make you unfit for operating motor vehicles or heavy machinery and 2) should not be drunk by pregnant women as alcohol causes birth defects.

134. E. Zachary Knight says:

This sounds like the bill that was introduced in Oklahoma after the first law was struck down as unconstitutional. That bill would require that for EVERY game sold in Oklahoma, the retailer MUST give the customer some kind of flier stating that the game MAY contain violent content that MAY be harmful to children.

When i say "every game" I mean every game. The bill had no distinctions for any game regardless of rating or content.

Needless to say, that went nowhere fast.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA
    MySpace Page: http://www.myspace.com/okceca
    Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1325674091

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

135. Doomsong says:

Video games don’t make me violent… Idiotic, self-serving legislation makes me violent!!!

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" – Benjamin Franklin

136. spaceweatherman says:

except… that it totally fucking hasn’t been linked to that.

at all. just aggressive thought, not behavior.

Gamers are probably less aggressive because they get all their aggressiveness out on their games!

~ Whitehawk the Youthful ~

~ Gavin Jules ~

137. Andrew Eisen says:

Actually, violent game play has been linked to aggressive behavior.  Most notably by the APA a few years ago.

"WHEREAS comprehensive analysis of violent interactive video game research suggests such exposure a.) increases aggressive behavior…"

Andrew Eisen

138. JustChris says:

Agressive thinking is a modifier to a habit, and not a habit itself. You cannot just tie it to harmful activities. For example- Aggressive football players. Aggressive salesmen. Aggressive piano playing (yes). Whether the intentions are bad or good, aggressive thinking will amplify those intentions.

GameSnooper

139. RonnieBarzel says:

If it’s so proven, why are they continuing research?

Comments are closed.