Latest Gaza Conflict Game is Pro-Israeli

In recent days GamePolitics has covered web games propagandizing the current Gaza conflict from both the Israeli and Palestinian viewpoints.

The latest of these is Iron Dome which takes the Israeli perspective. Along with a Missile Command-esque interface, Iron Dome offers three levels of difficulty as well as several links offering the Israeli version of the issues behind the conflict.

GP: Thanks to GamePolitics reader Itamar for the tip!

Paladin says:

Truth is truth. There are no "versions" of it. The truth is Palistine attacked Israel and Israel is defending itself. The Truth has been there for years. Decades. There are just too many people that refuse to see it. I guess, to some people, the truth only matters if it looks favorably on the "right" kinds of people.

GoodRobotUs says:

Truth is an incredibly slippery thing to hold on to for any length of time, you only have to watch the computer-game censorship scene for a short time to see how everyones truth changes depending on their agenda.

jiggaman says:

Some of there games are propagandizing – no doubt about that, but sometimes when you see Israel apartments and Gaza apartments and the whole metaphysical side of the things – you reall see it is more than a "flash game", which is propaganda sometimes – but sometime a form of art (In my opinon of course).

Geoff says:

You know, all of these games make me want to make a Lemmings-esque flash game, only the Lemmings are the people who fall for the propaganda paraded around by both sides.

Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cook-book! Little Red Cook-book!

shady8x says:

I disagree on the first part…

There hasn’t been a war that significantly effected the worlds population since WWII… and there should never be one again…

Frank says:

I second this.  War is the world’s way of keeping our population from growing beyond our control.  Also some people think peace is love.  I think peace is simply not beating the crap out of people you don’t like.  I’ve been insulted and I’ve insulted people but it was always peace because it never went beyond words.  You can dislike people all you want but so long as no violence comes of it there will be peace.

As for the whole Israel and Hamas issue I stand by Israel on the grounds that half my family is jewish and so by ethnicity I’m half jewish.  Sure they kill civilians but that happens in almost all wars.  It’s nothing unusual for innocents to get caught in the crossfire.  Is it right?  No, of course not.  But given the type of fighting going on over there civilian death is almost inevitable.

GoodRobotUs says:

Well, I’m not a big fan of FPS wargames to be honest, so I can’t speak from experience. I suppose the sort of War Games I tend to play are things like Wolfenstein, where it’s an invented story taking place inside a ‘real’ environment, other than that, if it’s a first person shooter I’m playing, I prefer sci-fi settings like Unreal Tournament. Come to think of it, I’m pretty much the same with RTS games, though I do, in all fairness have a couple of WW2 sub-simulators by Sonalyst, but if memory serves, ones for a US Sub, and the other is a German Sub, so they are pretty balanced.

DarkSaber says:

Just about any game that features America kicking ‘bad guys’ asses is propaganda. Only COD4 shows the downside of their actions.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

GoodRobotUs says:

I think it’s more about the fact that you are condoning either sides actions to be honest, can’t quite put my finger on the exact reason, maybe its the facts between each level and the fact it is, like all the other software about Gaza, highly Partisan in it’s position.

I don’t really jump to conlusions about the situation in Gaza, I’m not there, but something in me rebels at being fed propoganda as a reward, regardless of how much fun it is to play the game.

zel says:

ya, should we feel bad about playing ghost recon since its story ended up almost coming true? Or should we feel bad about WW2 based games since they are based on something that really happened? O.o

I am a signature virus, please copy and paste me into your signature to help me propagate.

Neeneko says:

Getting along means everyone being happy with thier place in life.

With a fixed amount of relative wealth and power to go around, this is unlikly.  Even with infinate land and some kind of slave class (robots?) to take over the low end stuff, people would still fight for power over eachother.

Shadow D. Darkman says:

I have no words regarding this beyond what I have already said in previous threads. It’s stupid, it’s immoral, so WHY CAN’T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!?!?!?

*fists unclench, regains composure*

With that, I take my leave.

*walks into the shadows to Lurk*

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

DarkSaber says:

Why? Because it’s about something that is actually happening rather than being set in madeupistan?

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Geoff says:

In fact, forget the computers, consoles, donuts, and cookies. :)

Hmmm…now I’m hungry.  Ok, let’s keep the cookies and add some chocolate syrup.  For…um…the milk that goes with the cookies…

Darmoth says:

I suggest we form our own bandwagon. With computers and consoles, donuts and cookies, and E3 girls. (Prior to the reformation of E3…)

We’ll just give the others a one finger salute as we roll on past them in our pimped out wagons.

Neeneko says:

I think one of the reasons you end up with so much ‘one view’ talking is that if one IS in the middle they are immediatly accused of being for one side of the other and thus get shoved into that side by the conversation (according to which side is more represented in a forum).

I’ve been acused of being pro-israel or pro-hamas depending on where I post and then shoved into a corner defending only the points that others want to attack.  Makes being middle ground raher difficult.

But anyway.  I am a bit disappointed that there have not really been any middle-ground games.  All the ones I’ve seen are kinda glurgy propeganda for one side or the other.  Having a game that shows the frustration of untangling the mess would be nice.

TBoneTony says:

In order to have peace, one must understand from both sides…

Kinda like the Videogame Violence issue that we mostly have,

We wish that more people would take a more balanced approach but yet we are always having to be the only ones standing our ground while other people gang up on us….

Kinda like the thing I see with the Palastinians and the Isrealies…

Anyone agree?

Geoff says:

It’s easier to just march to one drum beat.  A lot of people are too lazy to bother even considering both sides of the argument.  They just choose the black or the white side of the cookie and stick to it.

And as for us that try to take a more objective approach, we get labled as "lacking conviction" because we refuse to jump onto either one of the ignorant bandwagons.

Bill says:

As a game it’s a decent graphical upgrade from missle command.  It’ doesn’t have the sarcastic bite of some of the satirical games that have already come out.