PC Version of GTA IV Installs Resource Draining App

It seems that the PC version of Grand Theft Auto IV not only installs SecuROM, but loads the resource-hungry Rockstar Social Club app as well.

Kieron Gillen runs this issue down in the current PC Gamer:

Playing GTA IV’s excellent multiplayer means suffering a certain level of upfront irritation.You’ll first need a Games for Windows Live account. If you don’t have one, the web-forms for creating this are almost incomprehensible, and the site often breaks.

Then, that account must be linked to Rockstar Social Club account. Annoyingly, the resource-hungry Rockstar Social Club application runs in your task bar, even when you’re not playing (though it can be disabled) for no discernable reason.

There’s more discussion on how to deal with the vagaries of the Rockstar Social Club app on GTAforums.

MrKlorox says:

A lot of it has to do with "being stuck in one’s ways" like many elderly folks, but most of it has to do with PC gaming being capable of presenting a higher definition experience. If one pays a thousand+ dollars on a gaming rig to play games at higher resolutions, framerates, and audio channels than their console counterparts, we expect the game to follow suit.

People that only game on consoles can be forgiven as being uninformed to the subject. You act like it’s our faults.

MrKlorox says:

Wow. This topic has more replies and comments than the actual forum thread that this references. I don’t understand how this is supposedly a new thing.

finaleve says:

I knew a lot of people were really pissed off with R*’s PC port…but I never fully understood why.

…yeah, I’d be pissed too.  That social club network…I can understand the idea of it, but they should have just implemented it into the game, like they do with the EA bull (Which I seriously hate).

shady8x says:

Look you pirates(anyone who installs this game), if you really aren’t pirating this game then you shouldn’t have any problems with us installing a keylogger on your system and breaking your hardware… by the way PC gaming is dying because of pirates like you… is the kind of bright thinking that leads companies to do this…

I wonder how many years it will be before someone in those companies realizes that treating your customers this way may not be the best of ideas…

Bennett Beeny says:

Exactly why I’ve changed from a committed and fanatical PC gamer into a grudging console-only player.  I’ve seen my computer changed from an ultra-fast machine into a plodding and bug-ridden mess due to unscrupulous publishers sneaking their malware onto my hard drive and into my registry.  I’m tired of it and I’m not going back to gaming on the PC until they stop this nonsense.

Matthew says:

I firmly believe that if you have nothing to hide, you should allow anyone full access to your private life provided they tell you that they are legitimate and won’t do anything naughty.

Because I want to play some nifty games without breaking the law/copyright/EULAs, I now have DVD drives with reduced lifespans, I’ve been exposed to rootkits (which were ultimately reformatted away), I have a number of hidden drivers that can phone home at leisure and report on how I am using my software, my resources are drained as soon as I boot, when I next reformat to clean up I won’t even be able to reinstall some software without calling the publishers, and if some random servers go down or my connection is hosed at any time I’m restricted entirely from installing and/or playing a few of my games. The solution is to either pirate games entirely or download potentially dangerous files from crack sites that might end up getting my CD key banned even if I use them.

Meanwhile the biggest problem console owners have is whether a game might take up a little too much space on their hard drive. Well, or that it might catch fire.

Bennett Beeny says:

This whole digital restrictions scam is sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy in terms of piracy. Far from stopping piracy, the software publishers are encouraging folks like me to look to the pirates for help in getting my games to play properly.  Their draconian anti-consumer methods are causing piracy to grow exponentially.

Bennett Beeny says:

I’ve pretty much given up on the PC as a gaming platform – it used to be my favourite platform.  Anyway there are no top quality simulation games being produced now, so no real point in playing on the computer.  All there are are MMORPGs (which I’ve never liked) and shooters (which I prefer to play on a console).

ZippyDSMlee says:

PC gaming is a solid industry in terms of profit generated but it seems more and more the mainstream publishing houses release unfinished products, un optimized products, I could go into the decline of quality in the game industry as a whole but I am starting to think that quality has not changed as much as where its being pooled, at one time quality was easy enough to find in large puddles that formed around dev houses,publishers or consoles/pc’s now its scattered all over the place making it harder to find.

Gore,Violence,Sexauilty,Fear,Emotion these are but modes of transportation of story and thought, to take them from society you create a society of children and nannys, since adults are not required.

finaleve says:

I understand that Steam is the hub to play these games.  I

can live with that.  It makes accessing games a bit more convenient at times, as well the ability to re-download games already purchased.
    I just don’t like some of my single player games in offline mode.  Sometimes the internet is down.  I’d like to play a game to pass the time…

GoodRobotUs says:

Ironic, is it not, that one of the biggest offences against PC gaming is owned by a company that produces a console?

Because my DVD/RW is getting old, I cannot play any of my Securom games without loading a No-CD patch, where it not for these ‘pirates’ who write no-cd patches, I would have about 150 gbp worth of tea-coasters in my possession. Funny thing is, it still burns my Data CD’s just fine, and still works perfectly well with non-Securom games, so I’m not saying this out of spite, I am saying this because Warhammer: Mark of Chaos, Evil Genius, Caesar IV and a host of other games genuinely refuse to work on my computer because of the copy-protection.

Hardly surprising that most companies are reluctant to inform people on the box that such game-crippling ‘protection’ is in place.

Wolvenmoon says:

PC gaming is not dying-console companies are finding they can’t compete, and spread this rumor and DRM. Securom is owned by sony, and it is absolute poison for whoever takes it.

Valve is about to come up in people’s sights because of the non-transferability of ownership. Our current industry leaders can’t see the difference between tolerance of a few games locked into steam requiring an internet connection (or a buggy offline mode), and what’s going to happen when all games require internet connections and activate to only a single account.

We are seeing the start of the video gaming equivelant of the french revolution. These lawsuits are the start of the storming of the bastille.

It’s about time for some trash companies to have their head (CEO) cut off. They’re like hydras, there’s a chance we might get two better companies after cutting one rotten one off.

beemoh says:

You’d think the Social Club stuff would be built into the main game software, rather than a standalone program, wouldn’t you?

GfW I can maybe understand being its own software- it has applications external of gameplay, being as it is xBox Live: PC Edition- but RSC is so very specific not just to Rockstar, but its implementation is/would be unique to each game it’s used in, that it may as well just be part of the game itself.

shamrock says:

I completely agree with your statement. Its sad really. I’m not sure if its a conspiracy or not, but there sure seems like a PC gaming problem. We know EA and their stance on PC gaming. Remember, they have recently released games WITHOUT widescreen support. That should pretty much prove my point. Yes PC gaming is sad and the developers better smarten up.

I’m new, so be gentle on me!
    My site register tel domain names

ZippyDSMlee says:

And people wonder why it feels like PC gaming is going down the tubes….crap ass coding and porting….

Darmoth says:

Hrmph.. I dunno if GTA IV will be on my list. I’ve just been going back and playing old games of mine for the hell of it. Played through the first KotOR three times the last couple of months.

Then I decided I’d catch up on older games I’d missed. I picked up the PC version of Jade Empire cheaply. Gonna play that when I get all the Jedi/Sith lord out of my system.

I’m seriously considering buying some of the new games from a local bootlegger after I upgrade, because I’m more afraid of what all these DRM protections will do to my system.

Charax says:

exactly. Many PC gamers just want to be able to install and run a game without random crap being added to their startup entries, and DRM disabling their legitimate iso mounting/DVD burning software, and all the other crap manufacturers pull just because they came.

And they wonder why PC game piracy is so prolific.

paketep says:

Why is this news now?. Everybody has known for a month. Rockstar fucked up BIG.

My only doubt is if they did it on purpose: SecuROM, GfWL, Rockstar Social Club, the abysmal port, the total lack of performance. It’s hard to believe that a stablished developer like Rockstar could be so INEPT.

Of course, when it doesn’t sell as much as they hoped, the problem will be Piracy, because, you know, PC is dying!!!!

ZippyDSMlee says:

Take two didn’t push them to polsih it much like bioshock on PC its as bad…..