“Mortal Kombat Killer” Gets 36 Years in Child’s Death

Lamar Roberts is going away for a long time.

In December, the 18-year-old pleaded guilty in the December, 2007 death of 7-year-old Zoe Garcia, the step-sister of Roberts’ girlfriend, Heather Trujillo. Roberts and Trujillo reportedly acted out moves from Mortal Kombat on Zoe.

9News reports that a Colorado judge has sentenced Roberts to 36 years in prison. Of the sentence, Roberts told the court:

I do agree to get what I get. I’m not a monster, your honor. I’m truly sorry (for) what happened.

Roberts, who was 17 at the time of the slaying, was tried as an adult. Trujillo received 18 years, but her sentence will be suspended if she successfully completes a six-year program for youthful offenders.

43 comments

Seiena_Cyrus says:

Well admittedly it makes sense ^_^; All Lawyers are anti-Justice…They care about one thing, winning that case to show off their impressive record. The Prosecutor(unless he’s really new or extremely dedicated to his job not his money) wants proof he’s doing his job right even if there’s a chance that the defendant is innocent, and the Defendant wants to show that he’s worth the money even if it means letting a vile human walk out into the streets to cause more mayhem…it’s kinda scary.

BANE XXIII says:

Absolute Idiocy. I would think this would send a message to all the opportunistic lawyers trying to use the "games made me do it" defense. Why is it that common sense is becoming so uncommon??

-There is no greater sin, than that of the man who does not think for himself.

Icehawk says:

I have oft times asked that and determined that Common Sense up and left for a better climate, maybe near the south pole.

Sadly a vast majority of lawyers are parasites or a blight on society (firmly held beliefs even before JBT).  Think it was Samuel Clemens (aka Mark Twain) who spoken of improving society by shooting the lawyers.

Still find it odd that while the boyfriend gets 36 years (means he could be out in 6) the step-sister only needs to complete some class and be observed for 6 years yet she was part of it.  Ah well.

miracle2k says:

Imagine dealing with having a murderer or rapist at the dinner table with you.

Yes, I imagine he could jump me at any time. The horror! How could I possibly enjoy my soup!

Seriously, you’re coming across as incredibly simple minded here – to me, anyway.

1)it revolves around a few things; retribution, restitution (making the past wrong right) deterrence, and restoration.  Restoration, in this case, is obviously impossible (you know, with the dead child and all).  Prevention means PUTTING THE MURDERER IN JAIL OR EXECUTING THEM.  Deterrence means using the jail time to teach others not to fuck up.  Retribution means jailing or killing the murderers.  Notice that 1/4th of the goal was deterrence, and the rest were not.

Actually, that sounds about right in that it seems to match what I’m used seeing from US courts. But remember how we are talking about your criminal justice system sucks?

Interesting how you consider deterrence to be about teaching others. I guess rehabilitation isn’t a popular concept anymore these days.

Beating a child to death the way they did?  Also cruel and unusual.

Punching someone in the face? Cruel and uhm, unusual. It’s a sliding scale, man. Everything is. Stop seeing everything in black and white. The world isn’t divided in criminals and non-criminals.

miracle2k says:

My mother and every mother I’ve met has said if my daughter kills my other daughter or my grandchild…they won’t even make it to the court house.

Well, that’s just said. It also sounds like a great recipe for a lifetime of regret. At the risk of souding cheasy, odds are that most parents love for their children is unconditional, in the purest sense of the word. It’s just a screwed up moral system that would make you think you have to ignore your emotions.

I don’t envy you for your black and white world view. It’s only simple on the surface.

Seiena_Cyrus says:

no offense there Miracle 2k but…

You don’t see how the parents might have preferred a more lenient sentence for their daugther rather than a harsh one?

doesn’t fly with me. My mother and every mother I’ve met has said if my daughter kills my other daughter or my grandchild…they won’t even make it to the court house, so unless the family is truely oddball and can easily look said murdering child in the eye, which says something about the family and how the girl could kill her sister so easily, there is no way -none- that they’d want her back in their house. Odds are the parents are never gonna look at their daughter the same if they don’t out right disown her for taking her sister away from them.

The blame falls on the daughter and the boyfriend…if the family didn’t want to be broken up…the daughter shouldn’t have killed her sister end of story….I think it’s perfectly reasonable for her to go away and do the time…it’s the only justice our courts can give that family and that little girl.

Austin_Lewis says:

Funny story, crimes like murder are considered CRIMES AGAINST THE STATE THEY WERE COMMITTED IN, so, you know, it doesn’t matter what the parents want.

Chances are that the parents are either A) incompetent (leaving the child alone with their daughter and her irresponsible and abusive boyfriend) or B) don’t want the murderous little bitch around.  So having their daughter sent home scott-free would be a bad thing, especially for the family.  Imagine dealing with having a murderer or rapist at the dinner table with you.

I think its funny you deem fit to lecture me on justice, when I have a doctorate in Criminology.  Let me teach you some quick things.

2)Murdering a child in such a way is cruel and unusual.  There’s an interesting murder case, I think it was in Utah, where a man was on the run from the cops (he just got out of a police car, IIRC), and he ran into a farmhouse and grabbed the family’s shotgun.  Now, instead of leaving with the gun peacefully, he went upstairs and killed the 60 year old farmer and his wife before fleeing the house.  That was cruel and unusual.  Beating a child to death the way they did?  Also cruel and unusual.  Craziest thing, that’s one of the reasons a murderer gets the death penalty, for committing an unusually depraved act.

3)as I mentioned earlier, it’s a crime against the state.  That’s why the case reads Jackass Murderer vs the state of wherever this is.  So, while the parents can petition for leniency, the judge can (and should) ignore it.  However, I haven’t heard of the parents petitioning for leniency, meaning they’re probably pretty angry with their murdering spawn.

miracle2k says:

I don’t see how that provides closure to the victim, to have one child dead and the murderer still in the house.

The problem with justice, of course, is that nobody really knows what is is. Or at least people have vastly different opinions. They deserved far worse than they got – case in point. That’s why smart people came up with a bunch of more objective criterias that can be used to justify criminal punishment, and they mostly revolve around preventing future crime.

hayabusa75 says:

I know who you were talking about.  I don’t consider either of you trolls, but I understand that your definition is vastly different than mine.

"There is no sin except stupidity." – Oscar Wilde

Shadow D. Darkman says:

Not a Troll, says you. *snort* That’s what you say, but I wasn’t talking about you.

——————————————————————————

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

Shadow D. Darkman says:

Perhaps I’m an atom then. One can never truly tell, now can they?

——————————————————————————

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

miracle2k says:

He did not intend to kill her – that is absolutely the impression I get from reading the coverage on this site and the source articles linked from here.

So you justify letting a killer go free just so her parents won’t have to lose two kids? You don’t make any sense.

Of course I do (and nobody said anything about letting anyone go free). If one of the intents of the justice system is to provide conciliation/the ability to reach closure/peace/whatever to the victim and/or the victims relatives, then clearily it makes sense to take that into account in both directions.

It’s all about what’s the best path to go from here.

Austin_Lewis says:

I didn’t realize that family tragedy allowed the other members a get out of jail free card.

Also, it is kinda hard to feel bad for someone who beat a child to death in cold blood.

DarkSaber says:

But petri dishes are quite deep if you’re an atom….

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

E. Zachary Knight says:

They didn’t accidentally kill a little girl. They beat her sensless and killed her in the process. This was a case of cold blooded killing. They showed no compassion toward the little girl at all. Had they shown some compassion or mercy, I might be able to sympathize with your position.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

Shadow D. Darkman says:

Funny how someone once said (Dalton, wasn’t it?) that atoms are indivisible.

*snorts, grinning*

I feel better already!

——————————————————————————

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

miracle2k says:

I’m not complaining about the prison sentence, but the length of the term. If he had killed someone in cold blood, maybe we could talk about 36 years. As far as we can tell though, this case comes down to what is essentially an accident, with something like maybe wilful negliance on part of the two teens.

Also, sending one daugther to prison for 18 years after the other daughter just died is exactly what that family needs, I’m sure. And yes, I know about the 6-year plea deal, which makes the whole thing barely acceptable, thank god.

Austin_Lewis says:

Of course, some of the other goals of our criminal justice system include, you know, actually dispensing some justice.  They committed a crime mala in se (wrong in of itself, basically), meaning a crime that is wrong in its very nature, not a crime mala prohibita (wrong because it’s prohibited, something like drinking underage being a good example).  They deserved far worse than they got.

‘He did not intend to kill her’ my ass.  The things he did to that child aren’t normal occurences or accidents, they’re vicious and malovelent actions.

Shadow D. Darkman says:

The latter is funnier, seeing as people like Erik are making me out as a Troll, disguised by deoVIRUS.

——————————————————————————

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

Hackangel says:

Well I could give an example of how the american justice system is awful in my eyes, that of a canadian, but it really has no link to the case here. In fact I find the canadian justice system to be too lenient when it comes to serious offenses.

Im my opinion however, I find the american justice system awful in that it is too severe on what would be minor offenses here (in regards say to marijuana for example). That and the fact you can sue anybody for anything (in civil court).

But in regards to the case here, the man probably got what he deserved.

Seiena_Cyrus says:

Honestly, take it with a grain of salt, I know guys that do that just to get outta jail early on Parole. It is possible to trick the system so while there is a -chance- he’s really appologetic, odds are his lawyer said, don’t buck it, take the sentance do a couple years with your head down and maybe we can get you out early for good behavior. Just speculation on my part but concidering I’ve seen a lot of guys pull this, I’d say it’s a likely senario.

TBoneTony says:

At least this person has now accepted responsibility for their actions and respects the judge’s decision instead of just trying to blame his actions on a videogame.

And no he is not a monster, but he did do a really stupid thing that resulted in a child’s death.

If people in society can think about what they are doing before doing something so stupid instead of trying to blame their actions on a videogame. Then I believe that we as gamers don’t really have to suffer from all of the mainstreem attention on our favorite past time.

Shadow D. Darkman says:

"I do agree to get what I get. I’m not a monster, Your Honor. I am truly sorry for what happened."

Wow. One would think he got all the rehabilitation he needs.

——————————————————————————

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

hayabusa75 says:

Nothing will bring that poor girl back, but this news lifts the spirits.  Always good to see a murderer get what he deserves; they should toss his lawyer in there with him for a few months for even trying the video game defense.

With every case like this, more precedent is set for our side.  Love it.

"There is no sin except stupidity." – Oscar Wilde

Harry Miste says:

No, he should have taken off his mask and burned them to death.

XBOX LIVE GamerTag: Harry Miste | Steam ID: Harry Miste | PSN ID: HMiste | EYE. HAVE. YOU.

DarkSaber says:

Woulda been funnier if the judge just ripped their spines out there and then in court.

————————————————–

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

hayabusa75 says:

Previous articles note that Roberts had a history of abusive behavior toward Zoe, especially when he’d been drinking.  This kid was a punk, and now he’ll have all the time in the world to think about it.

"There is no sin except stupidity." – Oscar Wilde

Wolvenmoon says:

It’s ridiculous that they’re being put in jail like this. That they thought at the time that what they were doing was okay shows that they were just stupid, or being stupid.

Now three lives have been lost, any good that these two could have done in their lives has been destroyed.

Not to downplay that they killed someone, and I don’t know how rough they were being, but to me it sounds like horseplay gone horribly wrong.

shady8x says:

alcohol…stupidity… the fact that he he wasn’t…

still a terrible thing to happen to little child…

I hope this guy gets practiced on in prison…

Darmoth says:

I’m actually suprised. Thirty-six years sounds fairly lenient for a case involving the death of a child. Given the circumstances it makes sense though. Still I expected people to be calling for the death penality, with much wailing and gnashing of teeth…

Or at least some protestor out in the street carrying a sign that read, "FINISH HIM!"

My point being, I really wanted to use that line…

Zerodash says:

Um, did you even realize that he killed a child?  How is the criminal justice system "aweful" if he got put away in prison for that crime?

Or are you just trying to troll?

miracle2k says:

The US criminal justice system is just so aweful. No wonder you have to highest prision population anywhere. What was it again, one out of 30 Americans is in either prison right now, or currently on parole?

Of course, for most people here, the worst thing this guy did was blame videogames (or let the media do it). That alone deserves a life sentence, it seems.

mdo7 says:

Well, I’m glad these guys are going to jail.  The defense on video game made me do it is really stupid.  I read this on Kotaku 2 days ago and that  Lamar Roberts lie that Mortal Kombat made him do it.  Somebody tell Lamar that you are a disgrace to all gamers and deserved to be hated by gamers everywhere.

GoodRobotUs says:

At least he is man enough to accept his punishment.

This is why the ‘Video Game Defence’ doesn’t work for me, emulating something else does not mean that what they were emulating caused the offence. Foe example :

Should we, therefore ban Police, since, obviously, people emulating them cause deaths?