Visit Obama Inaugural Site Via Fallout 3 (pay no mind to the nuclear devastation)

Over at MTV Multiplayer, Stephen Totilo suggests a unique way to gain perspective on the Washington, D.C. turf that is the site for Barack Obama’s inauguration as America’s 44th president.

If you can deal with the nuked-out look, Totilo recommends taking a virtual tour, courtesy of Bethesda’s best-selling, post-apocalyptic, RPG Fallout 3:

Video games are an under-used tool for understanding current events. Let’s change that and use the most graphically realistic version of Washington, D.C. ever created to get an enhanced perspective of today’s Inauguration Day, shall we?

Slight problem: the best representation of Washington, D.C. and the National Mall in video game history involves a richly-rendered post-nuclear-war version of the nation’s capital circa the year 2277…

Here’s the National Mall as viewed from the top of a bombed-out Washington Monument…  “Fallout 3″ players can reach this location by traveling to the “Washington Monument” marker on the game’s map, passing a security checkpoint and taking an elevator to the top. In real life, the Mall, is currently filled with hundreds of thousands of people.

zel says:

I didn’t have a problem getting in but thats prolly because I waited untill the main quest line sent me there. There are a few places that you just can’t get into untill the main quest line tells you to go there.

I’m at the part where you get sent to find a G.E.C.K. I would have been further but i’m playing on a PC and the damned update they forced on me broke the game. I had no problems at all before the update then suddenly the game wouldn’t even startup because it required Live 2.0 be installed but the error doesn’t tell you that so you have it figure it out yourself. After that I started crashing to desktop left and right after like  minutes of play. Then they sent out another update and everything is fine again, makes me waant to strangle someone.

And yes, i actually bought the game, on steam O.o   I really like it though, but i’m addicted to the VATS system which is counter-intuitive to an FPS, its basically a sanctioned aimbot but thats alright because many of the weapons are blatantly inaccurate when you fire and my small arms is capped at 100 but still inaccurate, bleh.

interesting game though :)

I am a signature virus, please copy and paste me into your signature to help me propagate.

Ormick says:

<“Fallout 3″ gamers, if you have time today, walk in Obama’s steps. It’s an interesting experience.>

Given the context of Fallout 3, I smell a shitstorm brewing over that comment. Nevertheless, I can’t stop laughing for the same reason.

shady8x says:

and from his tower he shoots whatever he wants… though lets hope America isn’t tenpenny tower in that comparison… cause a vote of the residents just brought a different looking fellow in, just like in the game…

Austin_Lewis says:

Nothing is funnier in FALLOUT 3 than shooting ex-slaves with the Lincoln Repeating rifle.  Not funny in a ‘haha’ funny, funny in an ironic way funny.

Kajex says:

You know, if it weren’t for the Super Mutants troublemaking, the Brotherhood of Steel’s constant firing, or Talon Company’s douchebaggery, I MIGHT be inclined to agree. But between beating away feral ghouls in the D.C Metro system and escaped slaves trying to take over the Lincoln Memorial, I’m too busy to notice any accuracy.

Vordus says:

I have to admit, the inaugural address coverage kept reminding me of Fallout 3. The Real Mall is a lot wider, but most of the detail is there. Er, plus a lot of rubble. And no whitehouse.

Shadow D. Darkman says:

I wonder how many people are going to get all butthurt at that.

Wasn’t that what happened when they first saw that screenshot of Washington nuked?

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

Father Time says:

So I guess we’re going to have to wait for Rockstar to take on Washington D.C. before we get a really accurate representation then.

Brokenscope says:

If DC got nuked today the only person in line for succession, still alive, would be Sec. Defense Gates. Who isn’t allowed to be there, and the only man left from the Bush Admin.

I mean most of the senate and the house it there too.

That would be very awkward I think.

DarkSaber says:

Well it could be worse, he could have gone exploring for a good snipers position overlooking the area.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.