Gaming’s Worst Fictional Presidents

Over at 1UP, Jeremy Parish recounts some of the most incompetent presidents found in video games.

We think, however, that Jeremy is being a bit rough on his digital chief execs when he rates them "way less inspiring" than even the lately-exited President Bush. Dubya’s galactic level of uninspiring-ness far surpassed anything conjured up by a mere game designer.

That said, Jeremy’s choices are:

• Mr. President / Bad Dudes (NES)
  • Laguna Loire / Final Fantasy VIII (PlayStation)
  • President of the Axis Nation / Assault Suits Valken (aka Cybernator) (SNES)

GP: Can you think of any others?

godmoney says:

FYI The President’s name from Bad Dudes is President Ronnie, and not "Mr. President".

At the end of the game he invites you to have a cheeseburger with him!   So does that make him Ronald Reagan or Ronald McDonald?

Best.  Fake President.  Ever.

Kajex says:

I actually admired that President Richardson in Fallout 1 and 2 had the initial feel of current presidents in his attitude and manner of speaking- initially.

Seriously, when will video gaming ever see a president as epic as Harrison Ford?

DCOW says:

Laguna was good, however president shinra, Garnet’s Mother, The President of the US in RA3, Micheal Dugan from RA2, and even Emperor Gestrahl from FF6 was bad.

I just don’t think this person researched the number of different fictional presidents.

I mean Garnet’s mother (who’s name escapes me), albeit under the influence of others, caused the massive wars.

President in RA3 was insane, and eventually removed from office.

Micheal Dugan is just a cocky SOB IMO.

President Shinra was bad because he didn’t care about anyone, just kept going on and getting mako from the planet without listening to anyone else.

Emperor gestrahl was horrible because he wanted to take over the world, and would have if kefka hadn’t killed him first.

Nocturne says:

George Sears/Solidus Snake: Not only does he completely fail in his plan to take out the super secret organisation that controls him when his attempt to steal Metal Gear Rex is foiled by his genetic clone ‘brother’, but then he’s forced to resign.

Solidus cements his level of incompetance by deciding to take on his adopted son in one-to-one combat right after he gets a completely new weapon at the very end of the game complety changing the gameply style, which everyone knows means your just about to go through the motions and takedown the bad guy in some vaguely spectacular fashion.

Last seen being a decoy corpse.

DarkSaber says:

I don’t think a what-if scenario in a game counts as bona fide proof.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

shady8x says:

richardson did that and attemted the extermination of nearly everyone in the world…

while eden just wanted to kill nearly everyone connected to washingtons water supply…

Harry Miste says:

Speech skill? Bah, I just used my Science tag to convince him he was crazy. BOOM! (Though I did the speech skill dialogue first, and then the science)

Also, Eden is more evil than Richardson. Eden was going to kill off nearly everybody in the Wasteland with the FEV. Richardson just ordered the kidnapping of Arroyo and Vault 13.

XBOX LIVE GamerTag: Harry Miste | Steam ID: Harry Miste | PSN ID: HMiste | EYE. HAVE. YOU.

shady8x says:

agreed, I wish our president was as bad as laguna: deposed an evil despot and then lead the nation to  a golden age and technological superiority over the rest of the world… hmm well obama did depose  king george… well will see…

Kris says:

Yeah really!  As a leader he wasn’t half bad.  His people pretty much loved him and it was fairly peaceful until…circumstances that were rather beyond his control.  Like a crazy psycho witch trying to manipulate time and space.

Nagaina says:

Seriously. I mean, you can make a case for him being the worst father in the history…well, okay, he’s not even the worst father in the history of Final Fantasy…but he seemed to be a pretty competent Executive.

Aprincen says:

The presidents of the enclave from Fallout 2 and 3. At least Bush wasn’t a genocidal maniac in charge of a radioactive wasteland. Alternatively, the president who was in charge at the time the world ended. Might not have been his fault entirely, but the nucleair holocaust happening on your watch looks bad on your resumé.

ZippyDSMlee says:

Its been forever and day since I played FF7 but was not Rufus worse? Midgar was pretty much a city state that conquered or controlled alot of places…. so he is president like….even if he was the company president…*brain fries*

Gore,Violence,Sexauilty,Fear,Emotion these are but modes of transportation of story and thought, to take them from society you create a society of children and nannys, since adults are not required.

SounDemon says:

If we’re talking about the worst president’s daughter, then I cast my vote for Ashley Gramm.

God, I hate her. I hate her, I hate her, I hate her. She was the albatross around my neck for about half of RE4.

Father Time says:

How about all the game series where the president existed as nothing more than a hostage you eventually had to save?

Time Crisis comes to mind although I think that was the president’s daughter.

finaleve says:

I thought Laguna was cool…hell, his battle music was awesome.

I was going to say President Eden, but…they never really disclose any of the "election" details that really label him as the so called president of the united states (as noted several times in the Enclave Radio).

That, and if you ever get into the enclave base…well…yeah.  I don’t think he’s legally allowed unless some laws were ammended.

The worse president?  God…I played too many games that they all kinda fuse into 1 stupid president.

Vake Xeacons says:

The (former) President/ Sam & Max Season 1, ep. 4: Abe Lincoln Must Die.
    Based on Dangly Deever, the Howdy Doody wannabe from the Sam & Max show, this guy was known solely as “The President.” Only to be discovered as a hideous puppet, intended to hypnotize the mass TV-watching public. Aside from his Federal Pudding Embargo, he passed all kinds of crazy laws, like Federally Mandated Group Hugs, and worst of all, Manditory Gun Registration!

sheppy says:

I have a vote for best digital President….

Michael Wilson… HE is the president of these, the great United States of America….

Wall of Text Simulation- Insert coin to continue.

Aprincen says:

Did you get that from background material? I knew Prescott was bad but that was just because he was being ominous and he oozes villainy (Like Seymour from FFX, first time you see him you know he is evil).

reverandspaniel says:

Gears of War 2 – Richard Prescott. His official title is "Coalition Chairman". He uses ruthless tactics to win the war, doesn’t care about collateral damage ("kill the few to save the many"), enacted several orders that granted the Coalition sweeping authority to help defeat the Locust. These decisions made him unpopular with those who felt the Coalition overstepped its bounds and, in the name of security, became an authoritarian regime. Prescott served eighteen months as a Gear, but according to Colonel Hoffman, it was "for appearances" and he has never been under fire, simply a PR stunt…