Aussie Pol Stages a Wii Supply Drop for Troops in Afghanistan

January 22, 2009 -

Australian Governor-General Quentin Bryce popped into Afghanistan for a quick visit with members of the Mentoring and Reconstruction Task Force stationed at Tarin Kowt.

Bryce praised the Aussie troops for their difficult and dangerous work against the Taliban:

We Australians take great pride in you, your contribution to the freedoms that we cherish, the values and principles that you stand for.  The mateship, the trust, the confidence, the professionalism, the skills you share.

As a token of her appreciation, Bryce bestowed upon the troops the gift of gaming goodness which, according to Kotaku, was a single Nintendo Wii.

Hey, they’re probably hard to find in Australia too.

Via: ABC News

-Reporting from San Diego, GamePolitics correspondent Andrew Eisen

Comments

Re: Aussie Pol Stages a Wii Supply Drop for Troops in

For the record, Wii's are not really hard to find, only Guitar Hero World Tour band packs experience shortages recently (except for PS3 version where there are plenty)

Re: Aussie Pol Stages a Wii Supply Drop for Troops in

Is "mateship" a real word?

Re: Aussie Pol Stages a Wii Supply Drop for Troops in

I should also note that Quintin Bryce is a Governer General, NOT Attorney General.

The Governer General is more like a representitive of the Queen who passes the information between the queen to the Australian Government.

Or at least that is what I have been lead to believe when I was in school.

TBoneTony

Re: Aussie Pol Stages a Wii Supply Drop for Troops in

This is great news.

Also Quintin Bryce is one of the more balanced politicians who is more capable of listening to both sides of the R18+ rating for videogames issue.

So this a good thing that he is getting familiar with the Nintendo Wii and that adults like Australian Sodiers also love to have a bit of a Wii sometimes.

TBoneTony

Re: Aussie Pol Stages a Wii Supply Drop for Troops in

See, this is where the Wiis need to go, not to the scum of the earth rotting in the world's prisons.

... Now if they'd included copies of Ghost Squad... :P (seriously tho, that's awesome either way.)

300 Episodes and counting: http://www.orangeloungeradio.com/

400 Episodes, TEN YEARS and counting: http://www.orangeloungeradio.com/ | Voice of Geeks Network - http://www.vognetwork.com

Re: Aussie Pol Stages a Wii Supply Drop for Troops in

How many troops are in the Mentoring and Reconstruction Task Force?  Two?  I guess there must be something that I'm missing from this story, because one Wii seems a bit stingy.  I mean couldn't the Skippy government find the cash for a couple more Wiis, a few Xboxes and a PS3 or two?

But then again, maybe the Australian Mentoring and Reconstruction Task Force really is only two guys.

Re: Aussie Pol Stages a Wii Supply Drop for Troops in

Taliban support centres don't fix the RRoD.

There is 440 of them btw.

Re: Aussie Pol Stages a Wii Supply Drop for Troops in

Wii Sports supports up to four players.

Of course, if they only have one controller they're not going to be able to do much but take turns bowling.

Andrew Eisen

Re: Aussie Official Supply-Drops a Wii for Troops in Afghanistan

Those poor guys need a break anyway. Semper Fi, Marios.

Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm