Portland Shooter Played Left 4 Dead, Resistance: Fall of Man

A man who killed two girls and wounded seven other people at a teen club in Portland, Oregon on Saturday night, was a player of two popular first-person shooter games, according to a report in The Oregonian.

24-year-old Erik Salvador Ayala, who remains in critical condition after shooting himself in the head, is described as quiet with an interest in video games and computers. Acquaintances said that had not previously exhibited violent tendencies and they were unaware that he owned a gun. From the report:

One of the things that brought him joy was playing video games such as "Resistance: Fall of Man," in which an Army Ranger fights an alien race that is trying to take over the world, or "Left 4 Dead," where the object is to slay fighting zombies.

Portland Police Chief Rosie Sizer told the press:

At first blush this incident appears to be a random act of violence of the kind that makes you despair for America.

Kajex says:

HA! Let them come. The road my apartment rests by contains a KFC, McDonalds, BK, Popeye’s, Taco Bell, Carls Jr., Jack-In-The-Box and various independently owned restaurants. My first line of defense relies on the poor wretches crying themselves into comas over the amount of MEAT in a mile’s radius.

The second line of defense consits of my kitty. 😀 They’ll be too enthralled looking at her as she lies in the window to even knock.

MasterAssassin says:

Arell this story wouldn’t even be up on this site had it not been for the media pointing out that he played video games. The only relief that I have is that Grand Theft Auto for once isn’t being brought up. It still angers me that these story hungry reporters would even bring this up. All this looks like is a sad attempt by reporters to make a quick buck by getting more attention on thie story because it’s "cool" to blame video games for any problems without investigating whether this man had mental health problems and ignoring the fact that he was well within the age to play those games. This is jouralism at it’s lowest. Also be glad that the Metrepolitan Moron of Miami who shall remain nameless is no longer has his law licsense cuz if this shooting had happened while still he had it, he would still have a camera and a microphone to spew his hate-filled verbal diarrhea about video games and further mislead the public.

Deamian says:

They may be pointing out the fact he was playing FPS, but…

"[…]this incident appears to be a random act of violence…"

There’s no real randomness in this sort of act, something triggered it. But for once, video-games aren’t slammed outright at first glance.

Arell says:

Eh.  You have to remember that we’re reading it here at gamepolitics, so out of the entire articles about the shootings and Erik’s life, this site focuses on any comments about his gaming.  We do have to take a step back, breathe, and at least wait for someone to actually blame the games, before we go off on the media or the detectives.  Otherwise they’re just reporting what his peers said about him.  It sounds like he was a bit of an obsessive gamer, so of course people around him are going to mention it.

MasterAssassin says:

First off I don’t care if the article doesn’t mention games negatively and accurately describes the two titles. This makes me angry that they would even bring this up and even if mainstream media isn’t rolling with it, this still should never have been brought up. Did they mention what films he liked? What music he listened to? What foods he liked? What kind of car he drove? The games are no more responsible for this tragedy then any of those things were and frankly it just makes me angry that the media would mention this like it was like something shocking. He played first person shooter video games…wow whoptee doo most guys around his age probably do to some degree. Instead they should be looking at his mental health record and how he was able to obtain the weapons to use in this tragedy. And I’m opposed to gun control by the way, but regardless if he was ruled mentally ill he should not have had access to firearms. Another thing this guy is 24 well over the age to play M-rated games, so I don’t know this is even being brought up.

Wolvenmoon says:

I’d almost bet money that they’re hiding that he had missed an antidepressant and was in the midst of severe withdrawels or something of the sort.

Shadow D. Darkman says:

Who knows? For all we know JT could be just around the corner. Personally, I hope he is.

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

ZippyDSMlee says:

I am shocked GP.com no one is blaming guns!!

Have we finaly learned that blaming thigns dose not compute?!?!

Gore,Violence,Sexauilty,Fear,Emotion these are but modes of transportation of story and thought, to take them from society you create a society of children and nannys, since adults are not required.

Shadow D. Darkman says:

Hah! Very good, Andrew!

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

Shadow D. Darkman says:

(Image courtesy of sortableturnip)

I swear I saw a crazy guy in a suit heading that way, briefcase in hand. Please tell me it’s not JT, since if it is, I am going to give him a Falcon PUNCH he won’t forget. I prefer not to, so I want to make sure it’s him before I smack a random crazy for a bad reason.

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

Shadow D. Darkman says:

By retards, I assume you mean PETA. Yeah, I saw them heading your way. Shall I make with the Falcon PUNCHes now, or wait until they’ve been pwned in court?

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

Zero Beat says:

Though they didn’t really need to mention video games, at least they got the basic premise of them right, which sadly is more than we can say about a lot of news publications these days.

"That’s not ironic. That’s justice."

ezbiker555 says:

Ok he likes left 4 dead and resistance. But that has nothing to do with the shooting or whatsover.

That is the line that everyone eles will ignore and bring up the stupid and incorect theroy of video games breed violence bs..

Andrew Eisen says:

Another emotionally repressed loner.  Not an identifier by any means but certainly a reoccuring theme.

"It was a big surprise. I didn’t see it coming.  He was a quiet person. He kept to himself."

"He was really quiet.  I just can’t believe this is happening."

"I wouldn’t have thought [he’d be involved in] anything like that."

Andrew Eisen

hellfire7885 says:

Odds are the killer drank water. Do we ban water?

He might have kept a pet goldfish, do we ban keeping goldfish as pets? *hears a yes from the little kid’s tabel* Shut up PETA~!!!!!

Freyar says:

When I read this, and read the lines about him playing these two games, I just shrugged and said out loud, "So what." And that’s what I feel right now, So what if he played Left 4 Dead and Resistance.

Of course you can’t expect a news source to get the objectives of tehse games right. "Slay zombies"? No, the objective is to survive. Even if you kill millions of those zombies, it doesn’t matter if you don’t get away.

—- There is a limit for both politicians against video games, and video games against politicians. http://www.goteamretard.com

Paulrus says:

I’m not prepared to put up the angry nerd red flag just yet. While there is an inevitability that the news outlets will once again bring game content into question, note that the writer of the editor didn’t really stretch the violent content of those games to “OMG EVIL” limits. The report at least stated that the games were about aliens and zombies. However, I’m sure everyone right now is foaming at the mouth that the report brought those games to attention.

We really have nothing to bitch about until Jacky shows up or the police find “aliens = humans” written on pads of paper or recorded himself resembling his weapon to a DOOM one.

I’m an attention whore. So visit my DevaintArt and feed my ego. Feed the whore. http://keaton2008.deviantart.com/

SounDemon says:

Dennis, you know I love you, but this story was entirely unneccesary. Now the mainstream media will run with it because you drew attention to his liking of games; wait until a mainstream source takes the video game angle and report on that, don’t manufacture a gaming angle out of thin air.

1AgainstTheWorld says:

Agreed, it read more to me like that’s what he did and enjoyed in life.  You could easily substitute gardening, collecting baseball cards, etc.  I appreciate the fact that the article included a bit about the games (fighting aliens in Resistance, zombies in L4D).  It nicely avoids the whole "He was re-enacting this violent game where you shoot humans" crap.

nightwng2000 says:

I think the overall article is pretty thorough and neutral.  It’s pretty long, but covers as much as possible.

The reference to video games, in the context of the article, was merely things he liked.  It would have equally fit if he had liked a sport, lots of reading of science fiction, watching movies, or even walking around the city.  Taking it out of its place makes it seem focused, but within the article, it’s fine.

The comments section is already closed, but they were fairly decent.

Obviously, there are more details to be brought out, unless he really was some sort of brainwashed government zombie who had been "activated".  :)

And everytime someone mentioned Sam Adams, I thought they were talking about the beer.  :)

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 has also updated his MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/nightwing2000 Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as http://groups.myspace.com/pfenl

nekusagi says:

The article honestly didn’t seem that bad to me. It mentioned relatively factually what the games were and didn’t use terms like "murder simulators" or pinned the blame on them.  Yes, it’s a little strange his gaming was singled out, but it could have been much worse.

Bigman-K says:

This means nothing. I’d say about 90% of people below 30 play video games. Good to see that the article didn’t play the game blame though. It’s very easy to look for a scapegoat rather then the real problems at hand.

"No law means no law" – Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black on the First Amendment

Kajex says:

Playing Counterstrike has given me the innate ability to be a crack shot while shooting my cat. With a nerf gun.

And before any retard cries out "ANIMAL CRUELTY", she loves playing with the foam darts- you can hear her purring from across the room, and anytime I miss, she goes scampering for it.

Several million gamers out in the world- just one more shooting by some nut who took either took this shit way too seriously, or was mentally fucked-up and unstable to begin with.

gamegod25 says:

"At first blush this incident appears to be a random act of violence…"

Because it is! You know what makes me despair? That this kind of stupidity is still so common in this day and age.

GoodRobotUs says:

Something he has in common with 30 million people in the United States alone, yet I do not see 30 million killers walking the streets.

But hey, it’s easier to blame make believe than reality, always has been, always will be.

My thoughts are with the victims and their families, a sad day indeed, though I worry for the future finger pointing, instead of problem solving.

HarmlessBunny says:

In other news, since I’ve been a little boy I’ve been sneaking in on my dad’s computer and playing games like Wolfenstein 3D and Doom for years…and then moved on to playing Counter Strike and various other FPS’s and I have yet to actually kill a living thing (okay okay I confess I killed at least 1000+ Mosquitos and 30+ Fly’s…but they had it coming!!!!)

Bennett Beeny says:

"*sigh* i honestly dont know why people bring up the fact that he played FPS games as some kind of significant thing!

Yeah.  The thing is, more and more of these shooters are going to be gamers because gaming is becoming more and more the norm in today’s culture.  The problem is, the folks who decide what gets reported tend to be middle-aged and out-of-touch with computers and gaming – they are people who videogame culture has yet to reach, so they see gaming as a weird aberration when in fact it’s they who represent the aberration.

Give it twenty or thirty years.  When grandpa (that will be me in 30 years) is playing on the Xbox we’ll be over this anti-videogame nonsense.  Until then we just have to stick it out and roll our eyes when this sort of silliness gets rolled out.

NovaBlack says:

In other news, he had brown hair, his favourite color is blue, and he liked italian food. As far as im concerned, these facts are just as ‘significant’ as his hobby, and i could correlate them just as easily to violent killings.

(Not having a dig at GP here btw! Meant to be a dig at the people who raised the facts at all! The Oregonian im looking at you!)

Doomsong says:

Agreed, I would think it may be more important to find out what type of job he had, if he were in any major form of debt, if he had any personal tragedies within the last couple years, you know… the stuff that might ACTUALLY lead someone to kill people.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" – Benjamin Franklin

Geoff says:

Um, who cares what games this guy played?  He’s probably just another distrubed individual that does what other distrubed people have done throughout society, lash out against said society in a violent manner.  This is hardly new and I wish people would stop acting so surprised when it happens.  It’s tragic, but nothing special.  We’ll see another shooting before the summer I’m willing to bet.

Of course that won’t stop people from citing this as "proof" of video games turning people into killers.  Despite the fact that there’s millions of other game players that are examples of the very opposite they claim.

Meh, I got no patience for this so early in the morning.  It’ll be tied into turning kids into killers, even though the perp is 24-years old.

Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cook-book! Little Red Cook-book!

magic_taco says:

Im not surprised i’ve seen another article like this, im not surprised that a well known-criminal and hypocrite named JT is now stalking this site and reading the article, i wouldnt be surprised to see dennis or EZK give us some mail that JT posted lip to both of them over this article.

Ashkihyena says:

So, who cares what the shooter played.  Hell, I’m playing The Political Machine 2008 now, does that mean I’m going to run for president in the next election, no, pft, geeze.

sheppy says:

It’s not so much the initial report that always causes the problems.  Well, except in Fox’s case.  It’s the people who find the hot topic in the initial report and run with that.

Wall of Text Simulation- Insert coin to continue.

sortableturnip says:

"In high school, Ayala was in the McNary band" – Maybe it was band that caused this…

"He kept to himself and was hesitant to show his emotions" – Maybe it was emotional problems…

"Esther Ramirez, 24, who moved into the apartment directly above Ayala’s eight months ago, said she had seen a woman who appeared to be Ayala’s girlfriend coming out of Ayala’s apartment; she said she thinks the girlfriend is deaf because Ayala communicated with her with American Sign Language." – Maybe sign language caused him to be violent…or possibly they had communication problems…

It could have been any one of those things…

*rolls eyes*

FYI:  The story did not focus on the video games part of it, however, even mentioning it gives a negative stigmatism towards games, like they’re evil or something…

mogbert says:

Condolences to the victims and their families. I think that more details should to come to light before the media starts to point fingers. Right now, they just try and point the finger at the first thing, and the first thing they ask is if he played video games. Let’s face it, a significant percent of 20-25 year old males like to play video games, and at that age they often have enough money to buy themselves the games they want. If you take ANY large enoug samples and compare two factors, you will have a crossover area (thin venn diagram). If you take a diagram of 20-25 year old males, and take two circles, one for the ones that play video games, and another for the ones that commit viokent crimes. You will see that since the video gme circle takes up the vast majority of 20-25 year old males, so anytime you have a violent crime, it is likely that they played video games.

The media plays on this fact so much. They neglect other factors. You know what, the vast majority of young male violent crime are perpetrated by people with hair. This just in, a number of them had been seen eating bread in the weeks leading up to their crime.

Yes, the guy played video games, and I CAN’T say that didn’t have any effect on this crime, however, until the police actually INVESTIGATE (remember when reporters used to do some of that before writing a story) then those are two unrelated facts. If the guy has "The people of america are all zombies!" written on his wall in blood, then maybe their is a connection. If his girlfriend just broke up with him, and she happened to often go to that club, then there likely is no connection to video games.

Mechadon says:

What brought him joy? I don’t care what brought him joy!!! Care to detail what his favourite movies were? What he liked to read? What his favourite restaraunts were? What about the victims? What made them happy in life before they were shot?