“Defecate Upon King” Game Protests Thai Free Speech Case

A new online game serves as both a parody and a protest of a notorious free speech case in Thailand.

You Have To Defecate Upon King Bhumibol calls attention to the Thai government’s imprisonment of Harry Nicolaides. As reported by the BBC, the Australian novelist was given a three-year sentence for defaming the monarchy.

Thai prosecutors charged that a passage detailing a fictional prince in a 2005 novel defamed King Bhumibol as well as the nation’s Crown Prince. Only seven copies of the novel were sold.

The Australian government has asked Thailand to pardon Nicolaides.

Via: Water Cooler Games

Tenchu says:

Freedom of speech is a sign of respect. Thai king is a real fuck bag. What kind of person throws you in jail for not standing up on que?

What kind of pussy is so soft he can’t bear criticism one bit?

I used to not stand in the movies. Someone told me to stand up. I just left. Now, when I want to see a movie, I leave just before propaganda time and come back when the movie starts.

If you don’t like someone, don’t stand up for them. That is fucking cowardice.

King is a lazy sack of shit.

Spartan says:

@I guess I should send my Mensa card back now…

Contrary to what you think, it is not a sign of respect. It is a sign of fealty done at the threat of imprisonment. Cowardness is what is shown when complying. Moreover doing something just to follow the crowd is a sign of a real moron.

"The most difficult pain a man can suffer is to have knowledge of much and power over little" – Herodotus

mythgarr says:

I wonder – if you’re a US citizen do you stand up every time Barak Obama appears on television? Did you do the same for G.W.Bush? Clinton?

If you’re from another country do you stand up every time your political leader appears on television?

Yes – it’s a cultural thing. The problem there is that if you don’t follow their cultural prescription for paying respect to their leader, YOU will be detained. I have no problem with electively sharing in other cultures – when i travel I typically do so voluntarily and so long as that arrangement is maintained, I’m just fine.

The minute the other party steps over the line and pre-emptively tells me that I MUST follow this social custom, we start having issues.

Austin_Lewis says:

Congrats!  You’re a fucking moron!

Seriously, it’s people like you that make the rest of us look bad overseas.  You’re too good to show a bit of respect for a foreign monarch?  You’d rather piss off all the little Thai people?

I’ve been to movies in Thailand too, and I never had a problem with standing up.  It’s a sign that you care enough to show a modicum of respect for their culture.

Spartan says:

Last time I was in Thailand I went to a movie and at the beginning they played some shit about the king and amazingly everyone stood up. I of course did not. A few moments later someone came over to me and said I would be arrested if I did not stand up that I was disrespecting him by not showing reverence. So I promptly stood up and yelled "Heil Hitler" as loud as I could with a salute of course.

Oddly enough the people sitting next to me moved away shortly thereafter. Additionally I was detained and given a stern talking to by a "government person" right after the movie. The equivalent of $20USD made him go away some time later. I have not gone back since.

The king and his family can go fuck themselves for all I care. No man is my master nor lord I don’t care who or what he thinks he is.

Austin_Lewis says:

The King always seemed like he was pretty on the ball, and the people I met in Thailand had nothing bad to say about him, from the Tuk-Tuk drivers to the people at Pantip or the Queen’s Mall.

Krit says:

Pretty much, except the king actually openly said that people should be allowed to ciritize him since he’s just a human, how did it end up with tougher lese-mejeste laws later on is beyond me. It’s the government that’s causing all the huss and fuss about the king’s rep which, in my opinion, isn’t even needed at this stage.

JustChris says:

Could you say that officials over there intend to give the king divine status if his imperfections are to be hidden from the public? I guess you can say this about any leader who pushes for a rep of absolute perfection.

Krit says:

That is only partially true, the majority of the Thai people still does love the King. You could say it’s the result of propaganda though, since nothing bad about the king was ever reported.

Frank says:

Game is way too easy.  The boss dies after only one turd.  Also what is with throwing tophats?

edit: yes you are invincible and the tophats do damage  but he regenerates faster then you can damage him.

Deamian says:

Like India and China, another country adds itself to the "If you’re not with us, you’re against us" policy when it comes to FICTIONAL work and gets righteously pimp-slapped by the internet!

"Free speech bitch!"