Police Dismiss Video Game Link in Portland Shooting Rampage

It appears that investigators in Portland, Oregon are not focusing on rampage shooter Erik Ayala’s fondness for violent video games.

The Portland Mercury spoke with Detective Mark Slater of Portland P.D., who commented on reports that linked linked the 24-year-old Ayala to Left 4 Dead and Resistance: Fall of Man:

[Local newspaper] The Oregonian prompted controversy on Monday, January 26, when it reported that "one of the things that bought Ayala joy" was playing violent videogames. Slater said a copy of the videogame Grand Theft Auto III was found at Ayala’s apartment, but said police were not pursuing a link between videogames and the shooting.

"There were a lot of videogames in the apartment," said Slater. "Of a wide variety of the kind you might find in any 24-year-old’s apartment."

In regard to the video game angle, GamePolitics has learned that anti-game violence activist Jack Thompson unsuccessfully attempted to involve himself in the Ayala case. Thompson forwarded GP a copy of a January 26th e-mail in which the disbarred attorney complained to Portland Police Chief Rosie Sizer that detectives weren’t acting on his theory that video games prompted the rampage:

Dear Chief Sizer:

I think your Bureau and you put public safety ahead of the pro-video game bias and gaming activities of this detective.

Please have some responsible detective contact me on this, as these incidents tied to games are popping up all over the place.  Thanks.

As GamePolitics has documented over the years, Thompson characteristically makes contact with law enforcement personnel in the wake of shooting rampages to suggest that violent video games played a role.

Those contacts between Thompson and law enforcement officials have at times become contentious.

In 2007, for example, Thompson sued the Omaha Police Department for information concerning a troubled 18-year-old who opened fire at a local mall. Last year, Thompson threatened to sue the Public Safety Department of Northern Illinois University following a campus shooting spree committed by a 27-year-old man with a history of mental health problems. In both cases, the disbarred attorney sought evidence of video game play on the part of the shooters.

GP: Thanks to GP reader Cabel Sasser for the link to the Mercury story!

162 comments

Chuma says:

Hmm.  Anyone want to contact the Florida BAR about that pesky not impersonating a lawyer thing?

Re: NY Bill Might Keep Nasty Games in a Locked Container

Dunno. that’s why I asked.  I’m not Jack.  I’m actually a lawyer.

Re: Police Dismiss Video Game Link in Portland Shooting Rampage

This is not the least bit surprising.  The police typically ignore the video game connection, because they believe it exonerates the perp.  It’s the same mentality that leads police to plant guns.

What a surprise that he had GTA in his possession.  I shall be contacting the families of the victims to tell them of the cause of action they now have against Take-Two.

On the truth side of the ledger, we now have the Ohio Judge in the Petric case who believes video games had everything to do with the perp’s shooting of his parents.  He came to that conclusion with no input from me.

TBoneTony says:

i bet that if we asked the Police if they had anyone from the Games Industry, they would say,

“No we don’t have anyone from the Games Industry talk to us, but we did have one crazy man claiming to be a lawyer come to us and claming that he would sue us if we did not take up his opinions.”

So in conclusion, there is a thing called Videogame Addiction, but it is not with the gamers, it is with the people who are addicted to blaming videogames as a scapegoat to the bad things in society.

Arcanagos says:

Woot it worked!

"Go ahead and hate your neighbor, go ahead and cheat a friend. Do it in the name of Heaven, Jack Thompson’ll justify it in the end." – nightwng2000

Arcanagos says:

"Go ahead and hate your neighbor,

go ahead and cheat a friend.

Do it in the name of Heaven,

Jack Thompson’ll justify it in the end."

… LOL… I’m stealing this if i can make it fit in my sig

Michael Chandra says:

To be honest I’m a tad worried, EZK. Jack’s NPD is slowly getting worse, sooner or later something negative is going to happen to him that will cause him to go Postal, and that actually puts everyone he hates at risk, including you. Especially you, because apparently he’s been stalking you so much he probably knows exactly where you live.

travelsize says:

I like to think of JT as so deluded and thick headed that he doesn’t understand what’s going on, no matter how much we try to clue him into reality.

FBI man 1: [frustrated] Argh… Now when I say "Hello Mr. Thompson" and press down on your foot, you smile and nod.
    Homer: No problem.
    [stepping hard on Homer’s foot]
    FBI man 1: Hello, Mr. Thompson.
    [Homer stares blankly again for a few seconds]
    Homer: [whispering to the FBI man next to him] I think he’s talking to you.

TBoneTony says:

I think that Jack-ass Thompson is too obsessed with blaiming Videogames for shootings, he needs to get a life and do something else that benifits the community, like, being nice to people both online and offline.

Adamas Draconis says:

Yes, with him strapped to a chair in front of a bullseye and the other shareholders loaded with cream pies.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

mogbert says:

99% is 1 in 100, 99.9% is 1 in 1000. When you said "over" it would be way over.

Right now I can’t say for sure how many of the GTA series have sole, even if you only counted from GTAIII on. The number is well in the multi-millions.

So 99.99999% is about right. I figure 10 million is a conservative estimate.

In short, "Save a life, ban peanut butter." More people have died due to peanut allergies and samonella then ever caused by video games. J.T., I mean Saltysaurus, is barking up the wrong tree.

But what else is new?

JustChris says:

Jack fails at science period. In the past he mentioned (in some radio show) that EVERYDAY GAMERS are "statistically insignificant" to his findings. Yes, the over 99.9000% percent of us.

I suppose if it were an experiment, people that play GTA would be the control group, and everyone else would be non-control. But separating the groups would be irrelevant with Jack because he would always make a conclusion according to his preconceived notions, instead of the most common outcomes from the control group!

GameSnooper

BearDogg-X says:

And until then, as Brodie from Mallrats would say, "Typical closet-case self-loather. Can’t be comfortable with his own sexuality."

Geaux Saints, Geaux Tigers, Geaux Hornets, Jack Thompson can geaux chase a chupacabra.

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

Shadow D. Darkman says:

Hooray, you’re back to the parent thing! That is always funny.

——————————————————————————

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

Shadow D. Darkman says:

And Shadow Darkman laughed again.

Good show, EZK.

——————————————————————————

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

BearDogg-X says:

Maybe it was his roommate.

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

HarmlessBunny says:

BRRRRRRING RRRRRING

"Um hello?"

"Pot, this is your friend Kettle calling."

"Yes Kettle?"

"Mate, I think you are black!"

————————————–

So Jack, if EZK has a Tin Foil hat…yours must be, by now, a tin foil replica of the 1815 General’s Hat Napoleon wore at Waterloo?

BearDogg-X says:

Compared to what? The tin-foil helmet you wear with the 0-16 Detroit Lions’s logo on it?

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

BearDogg-X says:

Something to think about: If this task force finds that all this age-verification software is potentially violating the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, could we see the FTC step in?

All in all, I think that puts one more fatal armor piercing bullet into Thompson’s so-called "constitutionally bulletproof" Utah legislation.

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

Icehawk says:

Not really. jackie has enough math skills to be able to twist the numbers to fit his views.  The irony though is that he used to claim that those of us that have not killed anyone due to "ultra violent" games (ie the vast majority of us) were the anomolies.  But no… we could go at anytime (we had been programmed by the games) and there had already been countless shooting incidents (um at the time I beleive it was less then 10) that he (and only he) claimed were related to games.  You remember back with his brainscans in a box.

Ah jackie.. so the conspiracy theories continue?  The police had been advised (which is the jackie version of  claimed that were getting paid/bribed) to ignore him by game companies (um jackie which company made that call?)  Oh but I forgot you were paranoid about guards at the Miami-dade federal building and threated to sue them for doing their job.

Oh nevermind.  Look thompson you are full of it, so I would offer a suggestion.  Go off someplace dark, damp and quiet (why does a prison cell come to mind?) and ferment.

Attack_Gypsy says:

Hey Jack, hows living off of your wife going for you?

You must feel like a real man now.

Yes, I am a liberal. I also believe in a strong military, less government, and the right to bear arms. ~ Me

Alevan says:

Thank god that the police have more common sense then Jack Thompson… wait, he lacks that.

… and I thought I grounded him from the internet?! That kid, thinking he’s all powerful because he can talk big, claim to know people and quote things without any sort of back up. Just you wait until I get home, mister! You won’t be doing any of those little crusades of yours with your little action figures.

NO. I don’t want to hear it, and I’m taking away that action figure where you taped Dennis’ face on it with hearts around it! No, don’t want to hear it! No more Gamepolitics for you, buster!

Amy Levandoski

nightwng2000 says:

His tin foil hat is far more fashionable than your "One Tin Soldier" suit of aluminum foil armor with the upside down cross on the chestplate.

"Go ahead and hate your neighbor,

go ahead and cheat a friend.

Do it in the name of Heaven,

Jack Thompson’ll justify it in the end."

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

Nightwng2000 has also updated his MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/nightwing2000 Nightwng2000 is now admin to the group "Parents For Education, Not Legislation" on MySpace as http://groups.myspace.com/pfenl

Zevorick says:

I think the funniest thing about you Jack Thompson isn’t the fact that you’ve so blindly followed a cause while creating the most prolific prototypical example of self-serving bias ever. What’s the most entertaining aspect of you is when I try to share the hliarity I get from you with my other friends who do not surf GP, they alwasy respond with "who is Jack Thompson?". Seriously. Nobody knows who you are outside of GP and Jaablog. I’ve tried to find someone who actually knows who you are, but I’ve yet to find a single person…

These are college educated people Mr. Thompson. They are future of our great nation, video gamers and nonvideogamers alike, and they can not identify you.

Geoff says:

Way to rip-off the pic I posted for your lame joke, fool.  Just for that, I’m posting a recent pic of you for all to enjoy.

Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cook-book! Little Red Cook-book!

GoodRobotUs says:

So it comes to digging up things that werent funny the first time.

But then, that’s all you have left. No point, no evidence, only paranoia and your own shattered, pointless agenda.

You can’t fight change Jack, you can scream and bawl and cry and accuse anyone of anything you so desire, but change will still happen, and you will fall further and further behind, because you are afraid of trying to catch up. You look at the past as though it were something to yearn for, and yet, for all that yearning, you’ve never once thought of learning from it. You’re old Jack, and screaming about it changes nothing, and you’re not old because your body is old, that happens to all of us, you are old because you have allowed your mind to grow old, and that was a choice you made.

Maybe it’s too late for you to turn back now, but I like to believe that there is always a choice, just because the world is too complex for you to understand doesn’t mean you should wind back time to the point where you can understand it, no-one can understand everything, never could, but the moment you stop growing up and start growing old, then you’re in trouble, I can only hope that the readers of this forum see this and realise that, then, at least, in some small way, you have helped the children, by encouraging them never to become what you have allowed yourself to become.

ezbiker555 says:

As of yet again you have been proven wrong. How many more times Jack? Your inability to look at the facts and understand who is resposnible is downright disgusting and one of the major reasons you were disbarred.

I honest to god recomend that you meet with theripist because your obesseion with taking video games seems to have consumed your life. I also recommend that you look more closer at the articles that Dennis posts on here. This man enjoyed video games but they weren’t his motivation for killing people.

If anything Thompson, video games have become a medium for people to release anger and emotion as it has for me. I would rather take my anger out on a game because I don’t have to worry about causing problems for others nor would there be consequnces. That is an honest to dammed fact and you should know better.

You’re just  digging a hole for youself Jack. Climb out of it while you still have a chance.

NovaBlack says:

OMG IVE FIGURED IT OUT!

Jack thompson is a pseudonym!

Its actually Jack Bauer!

Jack is one man standing alone against the secret conspiracy that only he can stop. Chloe, open up a socket to the police department, their agents have been compromised! Nukes, satellites, mind control parasites, it ALL MAKES SENSE! What we do without Jack to save the world for us.

GoodRobotUs says:

In truth, it’s really a plot by aliens to invade the Earth using the power of Video Games to control the Human race. That’s why Thompson keeps writing all those letters to Jack Harkness, he’s hoping Torchwood will intervene 😉

DeepThorn says:

Don’t forget the parasite is genetically engineered so that if it is removed that it sends a signal to launch a nuke at JT’s house.  The compromised officer really knows that JT is his only hope to save his family, because well, you know how strong he is.  Look at those gleaming muscles.

So he has to manage to control himself long enough to get the parasite out so he can contact JT.  So he needs to take out the nuke satellites first.  If he does that though, the other nuke satellites launch if he doesnt destroy them all at the same time.  If he manages to destroy them all at the same time, his family will get killed by the secret agency behind it all.  You know, the roach people one.  (shhh, I promise I am not a member. 😉

See, the roach people can survive nuclear radiation, so they do not care, but they really want the game industry to take over and make everyone kill each other.  Then they get all the pretty plant leaves to eat.  If they come in contact with JT though, they will eat his brain.  Not because they like brains, but because they like JT’s brain.

Nido Web Flash Tutorials AS2 and AS3 Tutorials for anyone interested.
    How to set Xbox 360 Parental Controls

E. Zachary Knight says:

Personally, I would not be surprised if some concerned reader of game news sites called the police department to forwarn them of John Bruce and his need to inject himself and his agenda into every violent crime.

So I can beleive that, but not that the officer was somehow bribed by the games industry.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

Meohfumado says:

The funny thing is, even if JT could prove beyond a reasonable doubt that video games CAUSED somebody to become violent and go on a killing rampage (and that is a very big "if" as there has been no proof that has ever shown a causal link), that would be 1 person amongst how many gamers?  50 million or more worldwide?

Let’s see…1 out of a 50 million….that’s what we who have studied statistics call "statistically insignificant."  But JT has never really understood the science behind…well…behind anything.

"You know what I wish? I wish all the scum of the Earth had one throat and I had my hands about it."

NovaBlack says:

um as for JTs ‘the detective had been contacted by the video game industty’

BULL SHIT.

and heres why. Who exactly would call ? I mean the video game industry is many seperate companies. So which one called? Valve?, Take-Two? Infinity ward? Sega? was it a publisher, perhaps EA? Either way it makes NO SENSE.

By calling as a representative of said company, surely you are in some way admitting that your company is at fault more than another, as you have enough of a heightened interest, that it warrants you calling about the issue. And programmers/Artists dont have any authority to do this (i.e. speaking on behalf of their company). so this alleged contact must have come from a company exec. So.. do you really think a company exec would be dumb enough to do this?

No… I mean it would make more sense if a specific game had been blamed (and by blame, i mean more than ‘the killer was found to own copies of games A, B, C , D and E’), but it really hasn’t , certainly not any more than mere circumstance. Jacks claims MAKE NO SENSE IN REALITY.

NovaBlack says:

”Dear Chief Sizer:

I have information that would be useful to establish further the apparent causal link between the violent video game play of alleged killer Ayala and the recent incident at the teen club.”

um… what apparent causal link?  There hasnt been any ‘apparent causal link’ made…

”Some detective in the Bureau with whom I spoke has been compromised by the video game industry, and he was anticipating my call.”

BWAHAHAHA JT is a whole new kind of crazy. ‘compromised’ by ‘the video game industry’ lol. Why does JT think its one giant secret world organisation all working together. Its really not. ‘the video game industry’ is actually many, commonly competing companies and studios. And to suggest otherwise is just ludicrous.  and as for ‘compromised’ lol… yeah yeah JT they implanted an organic mind control parasite into his frontal lobes, and kidnapped his family as insurance incase he manages to get it surgically removed with mind lasers.

Thomas McKenna says:

What’s that noise?  It’s the sound of Jack chasing after an ambulance while kicking a dead horse.  Jack, you have no evidence, and have proven yourself wrong time after time, all the while being the most pretentious dick in Florida (which in my mind says a lot) and getting kicked off the bar.  Give up already.

Rodrigo Ybáñez García says:

Jack Thompson is just crazy for attention, no matter whose grave he has to step. He likes this kind of story. When somebody dies and the word "videogames" or "GTA" are in the middle, he just can´t avoid it.

He is sick. Very sick.

Someday he will commit the same kind of things that he claims he fights.

Go get psychiatric help, Jack. Or at least, find a new hobby.

The cynical side of videogames (spanish only): http://thelostlevel.blogspot.com/ My DeviantArt Page (aka DeviantCensorship): http://www.darkknightstrikes.deviantart.com/

Kincyr says:

maybe because this company’s age verification software confirms age based on name and address. Like any kid doesn’t know his parents’ name. I’m not going to imply Jack’s tastes.

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

E. Zachary Knight says:

I have the same question. Does John Bruce have investments in that company? Aside from that, I cannot think of any reason he has chosen that particular package over some other comparable solution.

Personally, what bugs me about the software is that I can’t find an easily accessible demo of it. The website does not have one and they only list one site that uses it and I don’t feel like going through the motions of purchasing wine in order to see the software in action.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

nightwng2000 says:

Oh, and while we’re on the subject of things not being surprising, such at the Traitor John Bruce’s failure to understand The Truth, Thw WHOLE Truth, and Nothing But The Truth, let’s look at his repeated prattles about the Utah legislation.

You know, the legislation that’s bulletproof?  The one that’s constitutional?

The one that pushes age verification software?

Software which a task force was put together to examine the value of?

Software which has already received questions as to privacy issues?

Software which, in fact, may very well incorporate data mining devices to market to children?

You know, that software?

Reference material:

That’s one of the companies the Traitor John Bruce and the hate group The Eagles Forum is pushing on the politicians in Utah.

Gee, see their comments about the Task Force in their own "blog":

See the page for the Task Force:

Now see the article questioning the age verification software companies and the REAL concerns about their attempts at privacy violations and marketing schemes.

Did you inform them of those concerns, Traitor John Bruce?  Or, not surprisingly, did you knowingly and intentionally lie to and deceive THEM as well?

And since you’re so hard up to press a particular software package and company, maybe someone should be looking into whether you received "compensation" to market this material to the government.  Perhaps, in fact, this is nothing more than "live spam" being delivered to the politicians through you.

You’re such a tool.  And a pathetic one at that.

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

Shoehorn Oplenty says:

"This is not the least bit surprising."

Common sense is rarely surprising Mr. Thompson.

"The police typically ignore the video game connection"

Because it’s bullshit?

"What a surprise that he had GTA in his possession."

I have several GTA games in my possession, I haven’t killed anyone. Does that surprise you? In fact, there are millions of copies of GTA around the world in the possession of other normal people who haven’t killed anyone. What is your point?

"I shall be contacting the families of the victims to tell them of the cause of action they now have against Take-Two."

You mean they now have the opportunity to waste their money following your advice in a costly court case that will ultimately lead to nothing?

"On the truth side of the ledger, we now have the Ohio Judge in the Petric case who believes video games had everything to do with the perp’s shooting of his parents."

Ah, you mean the guy who admitted he wasn’t an expert and that what he said was only his opinion? Yeah! There’s some heavyweight proof!

"Finally, the police detective with whom I spoke said that someone connected with the video game industry contacted him about me before I ever contacted them.  The industry should be afraid.  Very afraid.  Jack Thompson"

Even if this were true, there is nothing wrong with warning people about attempts to influence the course of a criminal investigation, which is exactly what you are trying to do here, and have done elsewhere (all to no avail). You complain about cops planting guns, is that any worse than you trying to plant non existant connections between a murderer and an innocent software company?

BrandonL337 says:

ooh, ooh!

Cheney is a Black mana card

The Governator is a Red mana card

Blagojevich is an Idiot mana card

Obama is a Black Lotus

There have always been motherf*ckers, there will always be motherf*ckers, but what we can’t do is let them control our motherf*cking lives. -John Oliver, December 1st, 2008

Lost Question says:

i would say he’s closer to a uncolored (AKA artifact) card like artifacts or a red-blue combo card and your being way to generous 2/2 i would classify him as a 0/1 or 0/2 withe the abilitys JT is immune to any effect that gives JT +X/+X, or any ability. JT must attack every turn it is able. Each Time JT attacks add a -1/-1 counter to one of the creatures of whoever is in control of JT. JT cannot block.

sounds closer

cutetei says:

Something like this?

Jack Thompson R/U

Legendary Creature – Human

0/1

When Jack Thompson comes into play you loose the game.

"I’ve got them right where I want them"

Note he’s one of them crazy hybrid red blue creatures.

Adamas Draconis says:

I think the term is (And no offense, just a term I heard so no yelling at me) is a "Russian (or Polish, I’ve heard it as both) mine detector" Basicly someone so useless that their only redeeming purpose is to find a landmine with a toothpick.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

Chaplain99 says:

Forget to take my meds this morning?  :\  Y’know, I think I did.  And you know what else?  NOBODY DIED.  :O

Imagine that, self control from a teenager!

"HEY! LISTEN!"

Shadow D. Darkman says:

Oh my fucking God.

I laughed so damn hard at that, and I only laugh that hard when I get RickRolled!

Please tell me you’re joking, Jack.

——————————————————————————

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

BearDogg-X says:

More like NOTHING to do with it, Jabroni.

And, yeah, the police are gods. Didn’t you ever watch the old TV show "The Untouchables" with the late, great Robert Stack(who hosted the excellent Unsolved Mysteries) as Eliot Ness?

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

Kincyr says:

You think police are gods?

the way you went on about GTA being "cop-killing games" has me thinking you do

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

DavCube says:

They’re certainly gods compared to you. They actually have common sense to know that video games (the conventional at-home models, not the ACTUAL simulators that the police and military uses) aren’t adequate training tools.

Your word doesn’t supercede anyone elses either. YOU’RE the one who’s acting like a ‘god’ here, wishing death upon everyone who so much as speaks a negative comment about you.

E. Zachary Knight says:

John Bruce doesn’t come across as a Red Mana card. I would say he is more of a blue card. Blues like to through around paper alot and have a tendancy to think themselves more powerful than they really are.

Reds can actually damage other players. John Bruce cannot.

So Change him to a blue mana creature with 0 attack and 1 defense and you have him.

I would also change his special ability changed to a two parter.

1. tap + 2 blue mana – Baseless threat. Tap one creature your opponent controls.

2. tap + 4 blue mana – Living in Denial – If the damage caused would kill John Bruce, instead of being put in the graveyard, John Bruce stays in play as long as he is tapped. If john Bruce becomes untapped, remove him from the game.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

Geoff says:

Eh, I liked your older material better.

He’s a pretty useless creature in Magic as well.

GoodRobotUs says:

Come on let’s twist the facts,

Like you did last Summer,

Yeah, let’s twist the facts,

Like you did last Year,

Do you remember when,

You used to be a lawyer?

Come on let’s twist the facts,

Twisting time is heeeere!!

Seriously though, take a pill Jack, you’re unhinged, flapping around in the wind, and suffering from acute paranoia.

The Police aren’t perfect, but they’ve got a hell of a lot more experience at finding motives and reasons than you.

Automancer says:

I think it’s safe to say that they are more gods than you are, Saul.

———————————————————————————————————————————– "Thank you, Detective Spooner. You said someone, not something."- Sonny from I, Robot

magic_taco says:

Yeah, like you lied about the various other incidents, But i dont want you gone from gamepolitics Mr.Thompson, Atleast the police did their job and did things you’ll never do in your lifetime.

Research.

Mechadon says:

One of these days, the police department or berieved family members that you decide to make contact with will tell you to fuck off. Maybe then you’ll get the message. You’re no help to anyone.

Kincyr says:

I’m sure T2 has some airtight disclaimer preventing them for taking responsibility to what gamers do to themsleves or to others.

found it: "The makers and publishers of this videogame do not in any way endorse, condone or encourage engaging in any conduct depicted in this videogame." It’s after the copyrights and trademarks after the warranty info at the end of their manuals.

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

JustChris says:

It really must be your duty to stop every game-related crime at all costs, even if we have to spend billions of taxpayer dollars to enforce it, even if it means placing laws with the tolerance of an electron microscope.

Your zany zero-tolerance ideas have no place in non-robotic situations.

GameSnooper

Erik says:

"The industry should be afraid.  Very afraid."

You keep saying this, and yet you have never succeeded in any way.  Why should they fear you now John Bruce?  Name one thing you have done to them in the past which has been successful, just one thing.

Face it, the only thing the industry has to fear from you is that laughing at your impotent antics so much they piss their pants.

As far as this case goes: Uou should realize that the studies that you misquote, which are often countered by other studies, that say that games MAY make a person more aggressive doesn’t automatically mean that it DID in this case.  Even if the game was found in this murder’s belongings that STILL doesn’t mean that the game which MAY make a person more agressive was without a shadow of a doubt the cause in this instance.  Furthermore your studies that you misquote only say that they may make a person more aggressive.  Those studies do NOT say that they may make a person go on a rampant killing spree.  Aggression =/= Murder.

Really you have no ground to stand on.  Now go away before we report you for impersonating a lawyer with your insipid Arizona persona.

-Ultimately what will do in mankind is a person’s fear of their own freedom-

GoodRobotUs says:

‘I live in Arizona’

Liar

‘I’m not Jacky Boy’

Liar

‘Who are Eagle Forum?’

Liar

‘I’m a real Lawyer’

Liar

‘the police detective with whom I spoke said that someone connected with the video game industry contacted him about me before I ever contacted them’

Guess what….

DCOW says:

Hey jack thompson, you think that the petric case isn’t going to be appealed? good luck with that.

The industry hasn’t been afraid yet, and I don’t see a reason for them to fear now.

you fail

Kincyr says:

you heard it folks, Jack Thompson wants to exonerate the real perpetrators in order to further his own twisted agenda.

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

E. Zachary Knight says:

Mr. Anonymous Coward has finally revealed himself. Not that we had any doubts. It just makes it easy to confirm when you slip up like this.

But you do disappoint. I expected the reveal to be in conjunction with you spamming the comments with a letter, court filing or press release. How sad this reveal was not so enjoyable.

But I must ask, how long did you think you could keep it up? Two days has to be a record, but don’t you think that you could do better?

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

BearDogg-X says:

No, you pea-brained Metropolitian Moron of Miami, the police dismiss the "video game link" because it is a falsehood and and they base the focus of the investigation on the evidence at hand. The "video game defense" never exonerates anybody and never will. Ask your buddy Devin Moore or ask Lionel Tate about the "wrestling defense".

And, Jacky Boy, the families do not have any course of action against Take-Two, idiot, since there is no evidence of anything involving video games, according to the police. And the fact that the shooter was not a U.S. citizen and the majority of his victims were foreign exchange students indictate that they’d have no case, just like every suit you’ve filed against the industry over the years. Come to think of it, by contacting the families and giving legal advice to them, wouldn’t that be "practicing law without a license"?

As far as the Ohio judge goes, that same judge also said in that same solioquy that Petric’s "video game defense" "wasn’t a defense". Besides that, Petric’s actions(trying to plant the gun on his dying father after he shot him) proved that the "video game defense" was, is, and ever will be a fraud, a sham and a crutch for weak-minded people like your worthless ass.

Finally, name the detective or it didn’t happen. You’re the one should be afraid. Maybe you already are afraid since you’ve become a joke and done a big pile of nothing since 1990.

Practice what you preach, jabroni: Grow up and get a life.

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

mdo7 says:

JT you show your real face.  Couldn’t get the Seattle Police to conivince that the Killer train on video game.

So what are you going to say about Anthony Caylee’s murder, was video game behind the murder?

Was Ted Haggard’s sex sandal caused by video game?

Was video game behind this murder?

or this:

Geez, JT.  Do you always blame everything on video game?  Are you going to blame Jack The Ripper, BTK Killer, Green River Killer, and Zodiac Killer on video game.

Geoff says:

Haha, every time I read a JT post I always think of this pic.

HarmlessBunny says:

Oh I am sorry…so you aren’t a lawyer from Arizona? Nice try, then again we did already know it was you. the smarmy lies and arrogance seem to ooze from your posts.

If video games were truly responsible, obviously there would be more incidents of this would there be not? I hate to tell you this, but a dozen or so incidents from hundreds of millions of people….when crime is actually getting lower…may not be video game related. Infact didn’t they say this guy was suffering from depression. Or would that be too much for your ignorant head to handle?

Hitodama says:

Haha, so you’re not pretending to be someone else now, huh? He did not murder or injure anyone with GTA. Gaming had absolutly nothing to do with this.

And what should the industry be afraid of? Getting rabies from you?

saulytarsus says:

Father Time says:

What about watering with napalm?

—————————————————-

LAG - Law Abiding Gamer says:

60-gig and 20-gig were nearly fully b/c.  The first 80-gig model out of the chute was mostly b/c, but there were several PS2 titles that had some issues.  The rest (including later 80-gigs) are not PS2 b/c at all.

***Homicide-free video gaming since 1972!***

Aliasalpha says:

It takes a really sick, perverted, obscene, immoral individual to commit such acts as lying, deceiving, and misinforming police and citizens about tragic events just to push one’s personal, religious, and/or political agendas to create a dictatorship based on their own belief system.

Hey, as a sick, perverted, obscene and immoral individual I take offense at being lumped in with that waste of otherwise useful skin!

Less flippantly, that was one of the most coherent rants I’ve read in weeks.

nightwng2000 says:

It’s definitely true that this isn’t the least bit surprising… that the Traitor John Bruce "Jack" Thompson would attempt to lie, deceive, defraud, and attempt to illegally tamper with a formal investigation and now threatens to tamper with witness testimony.

As to the claim, most likely false, that an industry individual discussed squat with the detective, it’s more likely that the detective considered the avenue because of the comments by posters on the initial articles mentioned (as the articles themselves were fairly decent and not really blaming anything), and dismissed the possibility after doing as thorough an investigation as possible at that time, which is the act of an honorable, ethical, investigator.  As opposed to a dishonorable, unethical, sociopath whose paranoid delusions have them seeing conspiracies at every turn and desire to create a Theological Dictatorship with them as the Tin-Pot-Dictator-Wannabe who fashions their reign on a Demon-Pretender-To-The-Throne-Of-Heaven who advocates lies, deceit, bigotry, and hate as the rule of thumb (since no true, honorable, ethical, "God" would advocate such acts).

Seriously, why would ANY honorable, ethical police force give ANY value to the rantings of an individual who thinks that a kid playing a violent video game is worse than that same kid having been verbally, mentally, phsyically, and nearly sexually abused?  Or to ANY individual who screams that everyone is a fascist because they don’t post EVERYTHING he sends them but then claims that he would support the legal execution of those who oppose his views?  Or of ANY individual who wants to help free a rapist because he believes that, in so doing, it will save his dishonorable, unethical career?  Or ANY individual who supports terrorist acts because of the victims was someone he didn’t approve of?  Or ANY individual who knowingly and intentionally lies to and deceives any arm of the government by making false claims about the contents of ANY product?  Or ANY individual who rants that a state didn’t defend an unconstitutional law HIS way and therefore it was their fault it failed, because, after all, holding press conferences about the destruction caused by a major hurricane is so very unimportant in comparison to creating unconstitutional laws that would help in some small way create a Dictatorship?

Well, I gave "Saul of Tarsus" the benefit of the doubt, though choosing the name of someone who was believed to be a Saint isn’t a surprise considering the unoffical diagnosis of NPD that the Traitor John Bruce quite clearly, now more than ever, seems to suffer from.  I certainly had my suspicions that it was that sociopathic Traitor John Bruce, but didn’t want to jump the gun.  But it isn’t a surprise.  Not one at all.

Nightwng2000

NW2K Software

Krono says:

Jack getting help pretty much relies at the moment, on either his family intervening or he himself realizing that he needs to seek help. Sadly neither of those seems very likely at the moment.

-Gray17

DeepThorn says:

I am going to put the ambulance chaser comments to the side here, because we have went over that before.  We need to go over a more serious topic.

"Some detective in the Bureau with whom I spoke has been compromised by the video game industry, and he was anticipating my call."

Any psychologist would qualify this as paranoid, and maybe even slightly schizophrenic.  When I say JT needs psychological help, I am not saying it to be mean.  I seriously believe it would be for his best interest.  Like I said before, he isn’t a bad guy, he has amazing intentions, just he is mixed up on fantasy paranoid world and the real world.  I hope that one day he will get the help that he so evidently needs.  Not for the gaming community, not for the game industry, but for him.  It is not healthy to be so paranoid.

Nido Web Flash Tutorials AS2 and AS3 Tutorials for anyone interested.
    How to set Xbox 360 Parental Controls

Bigman-K says:

I personally love Jack Thompson, why you may ask, because he makes the pro-censorship, anti-free speech, anti-gaming side look horribly bad.

His crazy and rediculous antics and behavior drive people away from that side and make their side of the argument look bad. People like him must drive Leland Yee, Hillary Clinton, Lt. Grossman and all the other censormongers and anti-gamers who are sane but do it for politically driven reasons ("please think of the children" rhetoric gains votes from fear-based, protectionist, nanny-statist parents) nuts.

"No law means no law" – Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black on the First Amendment

BearDogg-X says:

Or Obstruction of Justice.

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

nighstalker160 says:

Jack,

Seriously man get help. You’re clearly suffering from some kind of psychological issuehere.

Is anybody else at all worried that its only a matter of time before Jack decides to wage his Crusade against video games by trying to rid the world of their perceived menace by killing gamers or sellers?

If I was this police department I’d consider bringing formal harassment charges and trying to have Jack involuntarily committed to psychiatric facility.

HarmlessBunny says:

Awwwwww the ambulance chaser still thinks he is relevent. I can just imagine the moment they see that message….

"Who the #)%*@ is Jack Thompson, and why is this crackpot wanting to ‘help’ the investigation… He said he spoke with a detective?"

"Um sir, this is the guy that blames all shootings on video games and tried to sue other departments and police units involved in cases for not letting him get access to evidence. Apparently he hates video games, thinks they are always involved, and jumps in the middle of things to ‘prove’ they are responsible. As for a detective he spoke to about this, that is a fabrication…no one claims to have spoken to any outside source about this. In fact when I pulled up a search on google and wikipedia, you won’t believe what it says about this nut. He was actual disbarred last year!"

"Oh #%(*& another crackpot. Just toss this, and ignore him. We have an investigation to finish."

mr_mlk says:

Depends on the model of PS3 I believe. The first gen USA 60gig ones do but I think any of the Euro models do.

In the "will" posted before the shooter states that it is a "fully backwards compatable" 60gig PS3.

magic_taco says:

Good, Some common sense the police shown, I hope the current chief of police knows about thompsons disbarrment and his lies about video games and violence…And his supposed "Get rich quick scheme" off of victims.

And as the GTA3 game being found in his apartment, I dont know if PS2 games are compatable with a PS3, Im not sure.

But the police themselves claim that the PS3 was the only system he ever owned when they searched his apartment.