Activision Returns to E3

Activision’s back!

The Entertainment Software Association has issued a press release which offers new details on E3 2009. But the biggest news is that Activision, which was not an official exhibitor at E3 2008, will be on the show floor when E3 opens in June.

While Activision will be exhibiting at E3, it has not, apparently rejoined the ESA’s membership ranks.

As for ESA, the game publishers’ trade group seems to be improving its P.R. efforts.  E3 2009, for instance, has a great-looking new website and the ESA has also established an official E3 presence on both Facebook and Twitter,

hayabusa75 says:

Of course you’re free to not like them, my point is that if their business practices and customer relations are so bad, then they wouldn’t be so successful.

Didn’t mean to imply that you weren’t entitled to your opinion, sorry.

"There is no sin except stupidity." – Oscar Wilde

hayabusa75 says:

Which is why they’re not only still in business, but also top ranked among video game publishers?

"There is no sin except stupidity." – Oscar Wilde

Wolvenmoon says:

Well, I’d take activision displaying anything at my event as a negative. "Hey, look, we’ve reskinned one of our old games, bought a better graphics engine, added ridiculous amounts of DRM, and expect you to pay full price for it, just like a real game!"

hayabusa75 says:

I have no idea how much it costs to put one of these things on, so I’m not really in a position to tell whether the price is unfair.  All I can do is choose to pay it or not.  That’s why I want to know how Shadow came to his little $10 admission price conclusion.

"There is no sin except stupidity." – Oscar Wilde

ZippyDSMlee says:

I dunno 25 a day,250 for the whole thing or 500 for VIP status, sounds good to me and they can make moeny off that.

Gore,Violence,Sexauilty,Fear,Emotion these are but modes of transportation of story and thought, to take them from society you create a society of children and nannys, since adults are not required.

hayabusa75 says:

And you’re forgetting that "open to the public" has nothing to do with the price.  It just means it’s okay for non-industry types to attend.  And I know what you’re saying, you said it already.  I want to know why you think that normal consumers should pay so little for an E3 similar to the ones before 2007, when the admission price for the old ones was much higher.

"There is no sin except stupidity." – Oscar Wilde

Austin_Lewis says:

The public should pay more!  The average jackass isn’t an investor, part of the industry, or anyone with anything to bring.  They’re just coming to get a sneak peek at what’s coming up in the world of videogaming.  They don’t have any reason to be there other than that they wish to be there, and thus should pay more.

Shadow D. Darkman says:

You forgot the "Open to the public" thing. And I’m saying that the public shouldn’t pay so much money to get in.

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

catboy_j says:

Is E3 bringing Sexy Back? I know it took it away the past couple of years. Although IMO E3 has always been promises about Fable-esque games and looks at demos which will never compare to the real thing rather it be being far better or far worse.

But it was still nice to see the newest shit coming out.

hayabusa75 says:

Let me get this straight.

Admission to E3 (priority pass) back in 2006 was at least a few hundred dollars, I believe.  Even the ESA’s half-assed Entertainment for All was between $50-$100.  And you want the old E3 back but only want to pay $10 to get in, otherwise it’s "bullshit"?

Is that what you’re saying?

"There is no sin except stupidity." – Oscar Wilde

Shadow D. Darkman says:

Wish list for E3:

-Old E3 back, before it’s fall a few years back.

-Open to the public. No more of this "Press and developers only" bullshit.

-Admission prices no more than $10 a person. Any higher and it’s bullshit.

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

SounDemon says:

PAX is and has been for some time the replacement for E3; it has a much better atmosphere, more entertainment instead of showcasing, and a focus on fun instead of polishing up your crappy game (Too Human, I’m looking at you.)