Pachter: MMO Gamers Are Addicts

February 2, 2009 -

In an interview with Reuters, Wedbush-Morgan financial analyst Michael Pachter has characterized MMO players as "addicts."

In the article, Reuters examines the effect of the current economic climate on the online game business. Pachter suggested that MMOs would see little impact due to the nature of their players' relationship with the games:

I don't think (online multiplayer games) get impacted at all, because people who play them are addicts, Losing their jobs makes them more likely to play because they have more time to play.

Comments

Re: Pachter: MMO Gamers Are Addicts

Are you kidding me?  The first thing I'd do if I lost my job is cancel my WoW accounts.

That's $30 bucks a month I'd need for, I dunno, food?  I am helplessly addicted to food though.  Food needs nerfed.

However, he's got a certain point.  At least one notable wow-blogger is unemployed and still plays.  Maybe not "addicted," but certainly not cutting what should be an easy way to save cash.

~~All Knowledge is Worth Having~~

~~All Knowledge is Worth Having~~

Re: Pachter: MMO Gamers Are Addicts

Another day, another blanket statement.

Did he remember to punch the clock?

Re: Pachter: MMO Gamers Are Addicts

wow guess im addicted to wow then even tho i  only have two character one level 70 and one level 10 and play off and on plus dont own the new expasion. yep im addicted. now exucuse me i must go raid for my level 18 8 str and 8 stam leather belt. lol im sry but this guy is way off when it comes to me and mmo.

Thanks Zaruka

Thanks Zaruka

Re: Pachter: MMO Gamers Are Addicts

Well...yeah, but not necessarily because they're addicts,  losing your job is probably pretty hard.  I know my dad hasn't had any work and is bored out of his mind.  It's not too far of a stretch to see playing an MMO more as a means of escape/coping, or just trying to do something during the time you were usually busy at work.

Re: Pachter: MMO Gamers Are Addicts

I agree. If you keep your finances low and you do nothing but look for a job all day, it's nice to be able to escape into a video game community during your free time.  I don't think you can label such a big group of people "addicts" just because they support their leisurely escape that everyone does from time to time.

www.20sidedwoman.blogspot.com

Re: Pachter: MMO Gamers Are Addicts

Isn't a widespread obsession or affninity for a leisurely activity just called a "pastime"?

GameSnooper

Re: Pachter: MMO Gamers Are Addicts

Pachter's been off the mark before when it comes to his analyses, but this time he's missed wide.  And frankly, I'm surprised hearing it coming from him.  I never thought he'd make asuch an ignorant blanket statement like that.

WonderkarpConster, I was quoting Anita Sarkeesian01/24/2015 - 10:39pm
ZippyDSMleeodd its not wanting to post half the time 0-o01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleetest01/24/2015 - 10:21pm
ZippyDSMleeWonderkarp: They tried to be natural with God Of Wars QTE’s, sometimes it felt random which I hate the most in QTEs. The way you interface with gameplay (press X to get X result) should never rely on randomly generated mechanics unless it’s a status01/24/2015 - 7:57pm
Andrew EisenI've passed your comment on.01/24/2015 - 5:45pm
Neo_DrKefkaHey GamePolitics staff can you guys work out the way the ads are delivered via mobile? Sometimes any attempt to do anything on this site automatically forwards you to download "Flappy bird" on a shady site or another thing. It just hijacks my Safari01/24/2015 - 3:47pm
WonderkarpI feel like the only good QTEs were the ones in the God of War series. I dont know why though.. maybe its the visceral carnage01/24/2015 - 1:13pm
ZippyDSMleeprh99: QTEs are dumb I ever understood the need for them outside being cheap and wanting to pad mechanics with scripted events that use only a few buttons.01/24/2015 - 12:58pm
InfophileAnd a more detailed breakdown of expenses here: http://imgur.com/L46SUMw01/24/2015 - 12:42pm
InfophileFor anyone still complaining about where the funding for Tropes vs. Women went: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4z6qa561roidh5/femfreq_annualreport2014.pdf?dl=0 (page 16) Not that this will actually stop claims of fraud, but it's good to have a counter.01/24/2015 - 12:38pm
prh99Linux kernel patch breaks Witcher 2. Apparently it was a wrapped Windows version instead of native port. http://m.slashdot.org/story/21270301/24/2015 - 11:12am
prh99I am not a fan of QTEs. Toggle joystick to break away from an enemy is ok...01/24/2015 - 12:26am
Goth_Skunk@WonderKarp: *fistbump*01/24/2015 - 12:00am
ZippyDSMleeIts like they took the fiction from soemthing else and tried to impose it on the Turok IP 0-o01/23/2015 - 10:14pm
ZippyDSMleeuhg I mean they did not need the dumb story and needed more unreal crazy combat.01/23/2015 - 10:13pm
ZippyDSMleestyle gameplay not generic shooter stuff.01/23/2015 - 10:11pm
ZippyDSMleeI loved what they were trying to go with in 3 but it was rather messed up and buggy. Evolution is a typical corridor shooter of the time. The newer Turok is half right they just needed the non-super realistic grim dark story and more crazy Unreal style ga01/23/2015 - 10:11pm
Wonderkarpshe going to do a video on how America Bombed Japan Back To Traditional Values Next? Or one on how Toxic Masculinity in Culture causes Shootings?01/23/2015 - 10:10pm