Pachter: MMO Gamers Are Addicts

February 2, 2009 -

In an interview with Reuters, Wedbush-Morgan financial analyst Michael Pachter has characterized MMO players as "addicts."

In the article, Reuters examines the effect of the current economic climate on the online game business. Pachter suggested that MMOs would see little impact due to the nature of their players' relationship with the games:

I don't think (online multiplayer games) get impacted at all, because people who play them are addicts, Losing their jobs makes them more likely to play because they have more time to play.

Comments

Re: Pachter: MMO Gamers Are Addicts

Are you kidding me?  The first thing I'd do if I lost my job is cancel my WoW accounts.

That's $30 bucks a month I'd need for, I dunno, food?  I am helplessly addicted to food though.  Food needs nerfed.

However, he's got a certain point.  At least one notable wow-blogger is unemployed and still plays.  Maybe not "addicted," but certainly not cutting what should be an easy way to save cash.

~~All Knowledge is Worth Having~~

~~All Knowledge is Worth Having~~

Re: Pachter: MMO Gamers Are Addicts

Another day, another blanket statement.

Did he remember to punch the clock?

Re: Pachter: MMO Gamers Are Addicts

wow guess im addicted to wow then even tho i  only have two character one level 70 and one level 10 and play off and on plus dont own the new expasion. yep im addicted. now exucuse me i must go raid for my level 18 8 str and 8 stam leather belt. lol im sry but this guy is way off when it comes to me and mmo.

Thanks Zaruka

Thanks Zaruka

Re: Pachter: MMO Gamers Are Addicts

Well...yeah, but not necessarily because they're addicts,  losing your job is probably pretty hard.  I know my dad hasn't had any work and is bored out of his mind.  It's not too far of a stretch to see playing an MMO more as a means of escape/coping, or just trying to do something during the time you were usually busy at work.

Re: Pachter: MMO Gamers Are Addicts

I agree. If you keep your finances low and you do nothing but look for a job all day, it's nice to be able to escape into a video game community during your free time.  I don't think you can label such a big group of people "addicts" just because they support their leisurely escape that everyone does from time to time.

www.20sidedwoman.blogspot.com

Re: Pachter: MMO Gamers Are Addicts

Isn't a widespread obsession or affninity for a leisurely activity just called a "pastime"?

GameSnooper

Re: Pachter: MMO Gamers Are Addicts

Pachter's been off the mark before when it comes to his analyses, but this time he's missed wide.  And frankly, I'm surprised hearing it coming from him.  I never thought he'd make asuch an ignorant blanket statement like that.

Poll

EA has shuttered Maxis (The Sims, SimCity). Should it keep the Maxis name alive?:

Andrew EisenPM - Yep, that's the one.03/06/2015 - 12:53am
TechnogeekBest case, it was some marketing douchebag who thought they could pander to both sides at once.03/06/2015 - 12:49am
TechnogeekAlso, this was the mistake tweet: http://i.imgur.com/4eLWNHx.jpg03/06/2015 - 12:48am
TechnogeekBecause nothing says "open, diverse gaming community" like buddying up with Breitbart.03/06/2015 - 12:47am
Papa MidnightAndrew Eisen, I believe this is the picture that you seek: http://i.imgur.com/Gdk60pa.jpg03/06/2015 - 12:30am
Papa MidnightSurely, Goth_Skunk, you say that in jest?03/06/2015 - 12:28am
prh99Craig R. Cause quite a few of them are not, they're bullies with different politics.03/06/2015 - 12:23am
MechaTama31What was the "mistake" tweet?03/06/2015 - 12:18am
MechaCrashWhatever you say, Goth.03/06/2015 - 12:02am
E. Zachary KnightGoth, they could have fooled me.03/05/2015 - 11:16pm
Goth_SkunkI don't understand. GamerGate supports an open, diverse gaming community for all as well. Google's statement is contradictory.03/05/2015 - 10:59pm
TechnogeekAnd as far as the Card thing went, I basically balanced it out personal guilt-wise by donating an amount equal to the Shadow Complex purchase price to the ACLU.03/05/2015 - 9:44pm
TechnogeekWelp, look like the Gerberghazi crowd is going to have to use Bing now. https://twitter.com/googlecloud/status/57365320825126093003/05/2015 - 9:42pm
Goth_SkunkAhh! I misinterpreted your statement about being left with almost every game in existence. I interpreted it as 'If you boycott games he's been involved with, you're boycotting almost all of them.'03/05/2015 - 9:31pm
Andrew EisenGoth - Card has been involved with only a small handful of games so if one were to boycott games for his involvement, they wouldn't be missing out on many games.03/05/2015 - 9:29pm
Goth_Skunk@Craig: Only if you're not interested in seeing it end.03/05/2015 - 9:27pm
Craig R.Instead of calling people the "anti gamergate faction", you could just call them "sane"03/05/2015 - 9:23pm
Goth_SkunkWhat do you mean 'almost every game in existence'? Card is a writer, not a game developer.03/05/2015 - 9:18pm
Andrew EisenBut I too wonder how many people who cry boycott actually follow through. I vaguely remember a few years ago a bunch of people boycotting one of the CoD games and were all found playing it on Steam.03/05/2015 - 7:53pm
Andrew EisenAn interesting quandary but not equivalent as boycotting games that Card was involved with leaves you with... well, almost every game in existence.03/05/2015 - 7:51pm