Pachter: MMO Gamers Are Addicts

February 2, 2009 -

In an interview with Reuters, Wedbush-Morgan financial analyst Michael Pachter has characterized MMO players as "addicts."

In the article, Reuters examines the effect of the current economic climate on the online game business. Pachter suggested that MMOs would see little impact due to the nature of their players' relationship with the games:

I don't think (online multiplayer games) get impacted at all, because people who play them are addicts, Losing their jobs makes them more likely to play because they have more time to play.

Comments

Re: Pachter: MMO Gamers Are Addicts

Are you kidding me?  The first thing I'd do if I lost my job is cancel my WoW accounts.

That's $30 bucks a month I'd need for, I dunno, food?  I am helplessly addicted to food though.  Food needs nerfed.

However, he's got a certain point.  At least one notable wow-blogger is unemployed and still plays.  Maybe not "addicted," but certainly not cutting what should be an easy way to save cash.

~~All Knowledge is Worth Having~~

~~All Knowledge is Worth Having~~

Re: Pachter: MMO Gamers Are Addicts

Another day, another blanket statement.

Did he remember to punch the clock?

Re: Pachter: MMO Gamers Are Addicts

wow guess im addicted to wow then even tho i  only have two character one level 70 and one level 10 and play off and on plus dont own the new expasion. yep im addicted. now exucuse me i must go raid for my level 18 8 str and 8 stam leather belt. lol im sry but this guy is way off when it comes to me and mmo.

Thanks Zaruka

Thanks Zaruka

Re: Pachter: MMO Gamers Are Addicts

Well...yeah, but not necessarily because they're addicts,  losing your job is probably pretty hard.  I know my dad hasn't had any work and is bored out of his mind.  It's not too far of a stretch to see playing an MMO more as a means of escape/coping, or just trying to do something during the time you were usually busy at work.

Re: Pachter: MMO Gamers Are Addicts

I agree. If you keep your finances low and you do nothing but look for a job all day, it's nice to be able to escape into a video game community during your free time.  I don't think you can label such a big group of people "addicts" just because they support their leisurely escape that everyone does from time to time.

www.20sidedwoman.blogspot.com

Re: Pachter: MMO Gamers Are Addicts

Isn't a widespread obsession or affninity for a leisurely activity just called a "pastime"?

GameSnooper

Re: Pachter: MMO Gamers Are Addicts

Pachter's been off the mark before when it comes to his analyses, but this time he's missed wide.  And frankly, I'm surprised hearing it coming from him.  I never thought he'd make asuch an ignorant blanket statement like that.

MattsworknameSo, whats everyone playing? Im still knee deep in bloodborne, but finaly beat Rom the spider05/23/2015 - 7:20am
Matthew Wilsonmy bad was doing it from my phone.05/22/2015 - 11:34pm