Guv Declares "Entertainment Software Day" in Texas

February 3, 2009 -

´╗┐Gov. Rick Perry (R, at left) has proclaimed today "Entertainment Software Day" in Texas.

The declaration is apparently the first of its kind in the United States.

In addition, both chambers of the Texas legislature have passed resolutions recognizing the video game industry's contributions to the Lone Star State. Those resolutions were sponsored by State Sen. Bob Duell (R) and Rep. Dawnna Dukes (D), both of whom have worked on financial incentives for Texas game developers in the past.

The news comes by way of a press release from the Entertainment Software Association. The trade group which represents U.S. video game publishers enjoys a strong connection to Gov. Perry. GamePolitics readers will recall that the Guv delivered the keynote speech at E3 2008.

ESA CEO Mike Gallagher commented on the Texas-sized salute to the game biz:

The support of Governor Perry, Senator Duell and Representative Dukes for the entertainment software industry in Texas is an endorsement of the artistic and economic contributions our industry has made to the state.

These lawmakers are helping grow our industry as we work to create new jobs for Texans; boost the state’s economy; and help discover new ways computer and video games can improve the ways Americans live, work and play.

According to the ESA, Texas's game industry adds $395 million to the state's economy.

Comments

Re: Guv Declares "Entertainment Software Day" in Texas

Wrong article LOL

With the game indutry passing the film indutry in money spent they better, and also ignore M rated games..... not becuse most are bad but becuse they tend to spend more :P

Gore,Violence,Sexauilty,Fear,Emotion these are but modes of transportation of story and thought, to take them from society you create a society of children and nannys, since adults are not required.

---

Re: Guv Declares "Entertainment Software Day" in Texas

They're really going all out on this aren't they?  i didn't even realize texas had so much business from the games sector, much less name any big developers.

Re: Guv Declares "Entertainment Software Day" in Texas

id Software founded the FPS genre in Mesquite, Texas in 1992. Perhaps you've heard of it.

Re: Guv Declares "Entertainment Software Day" in Texas

Know of Id (really, who Doesn't), know the fps (HL2 the best ever...now give us EP3 valve), never heard of Mesquite Texes in my life.

Sorry but i tend to not pay attention to the location of developers, but the work they produce.

Re: Guv Declares "Entertainment Software Day" in Texas

Heard of what? id sofware, The FPS genre, or Mesquite?

--------------------------------------------------

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

-------------------------------------------------- I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Re: Guv Declares "Entertainment Software Day" in Texas

Ooh, sweet! Another Gaming Holiday, just like Jack Thompson Day, except we don't burn a guy!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Game on, brothers and sisters." -Leet Gamer Jargon

-----------------------------

"A Chrono Trigger is anything that unleashes its will or desire to change history!" -Gaspar

Re: Guv Declares "Entertainment Software Day" in Texas

The headline should be sufficient, I guess you can't grasp that aspect.

I'll reiterate for you: A politician proclaims today as "Entertainment Software Day". Probably because he is appreciative of the gaming industry for bringing in nearly $400 million to the state's economy.

If you still need help then I think your comprehension is shot.

I myself can be joyful over such news, but I thought there was some looming over ignoring tax incentives if they had M rated content or higher being developed in Tx.

Re: Guv Declares "Entertainment Software Day" in Texas

I'm sorry but I still don't see why this guy matters.

Wonderkarpwell we had to christen it some way01/31/2015 - 7:13pm
Wonderkarpsaying otherwise. I've presented a video with cited sources combined with opinion. Youre presenting just your opinion. 01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Wonderkarpits still important information brought up on the original video. and by not saying anything, the casual observer thinks its her footage. there's no "section 107 Fair use" disclaimer. Its as if she's showing star wars and saying "look what I made" without01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenIf that's true, maybe she's willing to lose her tax exempt status by merchandising. So? Also not a problem with her Kickstarter. And no, I don't have to be a rep of FemFreq to point out how nonsensical, irrelevant and untrue all this nonsense is.01/31/2015 - 6:43pm
Andrew EisenShe doesn't say it's not her footage and she never said she'd record all her own footage. So this isn't a problem. I doubt she's said anything like "no women or non white people are critics of mine." Regardless, nothing to do with her Kickstarter.01/31/2015 - 6:41pm