UK Watchdog Gives Thumbs-up to Video Game Ads

February 3, 2009 -

Britain's Advertising Standards Authority has awarded the video game industry high marks for age-appropriate advertising, according to today's Guardian newspaper.

The ASA study, an outgrowth of the 2008 Byron Review, surveyed 241 video game ads which appeared on TV, in theaters, online and on posters during April - June of last year.

From the Guardian:

The ASA said "most" of the ads, apart from radio, made a "clear reference" to the age-rating of the game...

"Depiction of violence was a strong theme, but it was often stylised, fantasy-like and clearly separated from reality," said the ASA...

"Our survey is encouraging as it suggests that video games are being advertised responsibly and in line with the [advertising] codes," said Christopher Graham, director general of the ASA.

Get the full ASA report here.

Comments

Re: UK Watchdog Gives Thumbs-up to Video Game Ads

Good to hear.  Although it's not like anyone has ever been able to successfully argue otherwise.

Andrew Eisen

Re: UK Watchdog Gives Thumbs-up to Video Game Ads

True, but the more official organisations that say so the better.

Mattsworknamei I hope there is, I love that series.04/25/2015 - 5:59pm