38 Studios Head Curt Schilling is NOT an Obama Fan

Curt Schilling, lately of the Boston Red Sox, is a longtime gamer.

The former World Series ace, who started his MMO development company 38 Studios in 2007, likes to play the political game as well.

As GamePolitics reported last year, Schilling stumped for – and contributed to – the failed presidential campaign of Republican John McCain.

Schilling, however, doesn’t seem inclined to take a wait-and-see posture on the three-week old administration of Democrat Barack Obama. In a blog entry headlined Wasn’t The Rest of the World Supposed to Start Loving Us? the right-hander recycles a lengthy anti-Obama screed originally penned by conservative British journalist Peter Hitchens:

The swooning frenzy over the choice of Barack Obama as President of the United States must be one of the most absurd waves of self-deception and swirling fantasy ever to sweep through an advanced civilization… If you can believe that this undistinguished and conventionally Left-wing machine politician is a sort of secular saviour, then you can believe anything…

I was in Washington DC the night of the election… As I walked… there had been a few white people blowing car horns and shouting, as the result became clear. But among the Mexicans, Salvadorans and the other Third World nationalities, there was something like ecstasy.

They grasped the real significance of this moment. They knew it meant that America had finally switched sides in a global cultural war… The United States, having for the most part a deeply conservative people, had until now just about stood out against many of the mistakes which have ruined so much of the rest of the world.

Suspicious of welfare addiction, feeble justice and high taxes, totally committed to preserving its own national sovereignty, unabashedly Christian in a world part secular and part Muslim, suspicious of the Great Global Warming panic, [the United States] was unique…

And now the US, like Britain before it, has begun the long slow descent into the Third World. How sad…

135 comments

halfcuban says:

The whole thing is bizarre mostly because Curt Schilling hasn’t actually put a game out. This isn’t like Will Wright, who we know has donated to Republican candidates,  and founded and continues to operate a very successful game business. Instead we have a guy whom the majority of his fame and money has come from another industry, who is essentially a well-financed hobbyist, putting money into game development.  There’s an irony in the fact that no one would give a shit about his opinion if he wasn’t a player in a highly-unionized, tightly-regulated professional sport. And he certainly wouldn’t be getting any press from the game media if he was anything more than a baseball player; how many MMO’s have risen and fallen in the past couple years? Does anyone sincerely believe that his 38 Studios will somehow buck the trend?

ecco6t9 says:

I’ll agree with the TV part since it is mostly jokes.

Family Guy pretty much called Clinton a perv and then insulted George W’s intellengece and it was all funny.

Krono says:

Actually, among the entertainment industry as a whole, that is the ‘in’ thing.  It’s ‘in’ to say Bush was the devil and Obama’s the Messiah.

From what little TV I watch, any time the entertainment industry as a whole says something along the lines of Obama being the Messiah, it’s a joke poking a bit at him. Likewise for Bush and the Devil thing.

-Gray17

Valdearg says:

Upcoming MMO? I’d imagine it probably isn’t "A" quality, because I’ve not heard of it..

That being said, GP, I say ignore those people who threaten to stop reading and who bitch and moan about you posting with a liberal slant. First of all, you have been very fair in 90% of your posts, and as much as I want to say, "We all know how hard it is to write objectively," I can imagine that some of those who are quick to criticize haven’t ever tried thier hand at what you do.

It is VERY difficult to write an article from a straight middle of the line point of view, regardless of what the Conservative Whiners seem to think. You have been very fair to both sides and have criticized them both when they deserve it, even though sometimes, even the best journalists let slip thier politics. :)

Most of the angry remarks in the comments above are just from Bitchy Conservatives that are still upset because they are quickly becoming the minority in this country.

To all of them: I say, get over it, stop your Bitching about Media Bias, unfairness, and "The Messiah Complex" because you folks had your chance, and screwed it up. You’ll get another chance in 4 years. Until then, tough shit, deal with it or GTFO "our" America.

Edit: Fixed a stupid typo.

Austin_Lewis says:

Now sure, the music industry and movie industry were far more overt about it, but still.

Austin_Lewis says:

It’s really hard for a federal agency to go from ‘well, apparently Louisiana should be fine, we can send resources elsewhere’ to ‘Oh, shit, they’ve been fucked for three days and now they want us to bail them out’.
    The problem is, the media didn’t want to blame the (extremely racist) mayor, so instead they just poured the bullshit on to the head of FEMA and acted like it was their fault they couldn’t help these people, not the fault of the local government for lying about the situation for three days to the federal government and then demanding immediate help.

ecco6t9 says:

Although I agree with him, politics have no place in games this isn’t the music industry where it was "in" to call George W a nazi,dictator,war monger, and is "in" to call Obama the second coming of Jesus.

Grombar says:

New Orleans was everybody’s fault. The mayor and governor definitely dropped the ball, but so did Michael Brown, the monumentally incompetent head of FEMA (and we all remember who appointed him).

As for the heat wave, you could say that wasn’t so much an infrastructure issue as a societal one; part of the reason thousands of people died in France was because most of the doctors were out on their mandatory weeks-long vacations, and the government was too slow to recall them.

Hackangel says:

Man, that’s what I get for being away all day, the 112th comment.

Just wanted to let you all know, I live in a third world country, it’s called Canada and it’s great! Maybe Mr. Schilling shouldnt be so afraid.

Bennett Beeny says:

Christopher Hitchens was an alcoholic opportunist hack 30 years ago when he was a radical socialist, and he’s no less of an alcoholic opportunist hack now that he’s become a right-wing libertarian.

Austin_Lewis says:

Really?  Because I find that many jocks are actually democrats, and a lot of the ones I knew voted for Obama this time around, what with the whole being dazzled by bullshit.

Austin_Lewis says:

New Orleans is in no way the responsibility of the federal government.  The blame lays squarely on the Mayor and Governors’ shoulders; they decided they’d come up with their own evacuation plan, and when the plan fell apart, waited 3 DAYS before allowing the military to come and secure the area for FEMA.  Your counter is ill-informed.

BrandonL337 says:

Yeah, I noticed that too.

There have always been motherf*ckers, there will always be motherf*ckers, but what we can’t do is let them control our motherf*cking lives. -John Oliver, December 1st, 2008

BrandonL337 says:

While I support the democrats, I would still go V for Vendetta on either of those regimes.

BrandonL337 says:

Exactly, short of a revolution the only thing you can to is vote for the guy less likely to fuck you over or not fuck you over as badly.

BrandonL337 says:

Don’t you mean the hardcore right, Palin was nominated for VP for a reason.

gamepolitics says:

Quick comment here…

I see Schilling’s blog posts as fair game for GamePolitics. He is, after all, the head of a game studio and he likes to talk about politics.

The Hitchings article is pretty extreme. The fact that Schilling apparently liked it enough to repost it in total deserves a mention.

If Schilling – whose pitching I greatly enjoyed during his career, especially during his years with the Phillies -comes off badly for posting that, that’s his issue, not mine. We report, you decide, etc.

Finally, we report what happens that relates to politics and games. I’ve reported ad nauseum on Obama (just pull up his tag), including his oft-repeated mantra to have kids put down the video games, etc.

From a business perspective, I think Curt might do well to tone down such public expression of his political views and let his upcoming MMO be the star, but that’s his call. It’s his money…

Zerodash says:

Obama has become a pop icon, and as such he garners attention.  Being opposed to Obama’s policies means you are a racist- in the same vein that being opposed to George W’s policies made you a terrorist.

I also believe this blog to be left-leaning (sorry, Dennis), so there is another reason.  But, again, who cares?

gamadaya says:

I thought that you meant that the Democrats have control in terms of the language of the bills passed, but the ratio of Republicans to Democrats was high. Now I see that you were reffering to how Hillary being in the senate wouldn’t affect the ratio, but it would affect the language of the bills.

———————————

Internet troll > internet paladin

Krono says:

I’d check myself but I’m busy counting my unpaid tax money.

Sounds like Obama needs to nominate you for an office and have you pay what you owe. Failing that, the IRS does tend to be more lenient with the discretionary penalties when you come to them, rather than them going to you.

-Gray17

ZippyDSMlee says:

Not the point, its the wholesale dissmissal that we might be poluteing the enviroment thats more the issue.

THough its like the go green argument…. we can save the envirment alill…if we spend more all the time to upkeep and do cleanup the green devices…  both sides need to lean to the middle or fall of the table…

Gore,Violence,Sexauilty,Fear,Emotion these are but modes of transportation of story and thought, to take them from society you create a society of children and nannys, since adults are not required.

jds says:

I’ve dared question the lefty-ism of this site and most recently someone replied with something along the lines of "…it’s apparent this site leans left…" In the past I also posted to a couple articles where the site conveniently left out the party affiliation of Democrats. I’m not gonna go dig them up, they are here somewhere.

Regarding the article here, however…

SNIPE #1 "…the failed presidential campaign of Republican John McCain…"

Everyone knows the campaign lost.

SNIPE #2 "…wait-and-see posture on the three-week old administration…"

Who gets a pass because their administration is young? Barack has made mistakes. One need only look at his appointments to see it. I’d check myself but I’m busy counting my unpaid tax money.

SNIPE #3 "…right-hander recycles a lengthy anti-Obama screed…"

Nice one there. "Right-hander" oh, that made me laugh out loud.

SNIPE #4 "…conservative British journalist Peter Hitchens…"

Nice one there, too.

. . Wisdom begins in wonder. – Socrates . .

Krono says:

No, I didn’t say that wasn’t true in terms of vote ratio:

Me: Would you rather have Hillary still in the Senate and mucking with our laws?
    Austin: It’s already a democrat run senate and congress, so I don’t see it’d make much difference.
    Me: In terms of the number ratio of votes, no. In terms of the language of bills, probably.
    You: What? You have it backwards.

Austin didn’t think Hillary still being in the Senate would make much of a difference. I agreed with him in terms of the voting, but disagreed in terms of the bills floating around and their language.

How you got from that to me disagreeing that the democrats control the senate and congress I don’t know.

-Gray17

gamadaya says:

Austin_Lewis said that it was a Democrat run congress and senate. You said that that wasn’t true in terms of vote ratio. Since the Democrats have majority in both the Senate and the House, then it definitely is true in terms of vote ratio.

———————————

Internet troll > internet paladin

SimonBob says:

It’s not too late, Curt!  Get a trade to the Blue Jays and you can live in Canada.  You’ll get along great with our oh-so-right PM!

(Psst… nobody tell him that the rightest-of-the-right in Canada would still be considered a dirty commie-socialist in the American political spectrum.)

The Mammon Industry

Krono says:

How do I have it backwards? I know that the Democrats currently have the majority in both houses. Replacing Hillary with another democrat, or even a republican was not going to change that fact, hence the ratio of votes wouldn’t change much.

If Hillary was still in the Senate on the other hand, I can’t see her not trying to get things her way. Particularly in regards to healthcare, where her main criticism of Obama during the primaries was that his platform wasn’t universal like hers was. She’d be a source of "too liberal" bills that’d gum up the works, and generally throw a wrench in any attempts at bipartisan legislation.

-Gray17

Krono says:

No, just pointing out that most countries don’t have to deal with the same scale. On a related note, what power outage are you thinking of when you talk about a third of the country being blacked out? The only ones I can think of are the two that happened in the northeast, and that’s not 1/3 of the country.

Also:

-Gray17

Baruch_S says:

Seriously, what is this guy on? I agree that we should wait to see what Obama actually does before we start hailing him as the the savior of America, but where does he get the rest of this crap? Liberals turning America into a third-world country? Newsflash, buddy, both parties have been screwing up the country for quite some time now. You’re just choosing whether you want to see America turn into V for Vendetta or Nineteen Eighty Four.

gamadaya says:

What? You have it backwards. There are more Democrats in the Senate and the House, but it’s difficult to get a bill through if it’s too liberal because of the unappeasing nature of Republicans.

———————————

Internet troll > internet paladin

gamadaya says:

God, what a fucking tool. I don’t agree with most right wing policies (I do agree with some, like their policies on nuclear energy and boarder control), but I respect people’s right to adhere to them. Of course, when you start saying things like "America is a Christian nation," or "Global Warming is just a panic," then congratulations, you have just invalidated any of your future statements.

———————————

Internet troll > internet paladin

ZippyDSMlee says:

All I see is a fou conservative  ranting to the choir of like IQ levels.
    Next….

Michael Chandra says:

Not sure how that’s related to a messy infrastructure, but "As a consequence of the usually relatively mild summers, most people do not know how to react to very high temperatures (for instance, with respect to rehydration), and most homes and retirement homes are not equipped with air conditioning. Furthermore, while there are contingency plans for a variety of catastrophes and natural events, high heat had never been considered a major hazard and so such plans for heat waves did not exist at the time."

Oh and I counter you with New Orleans.

Michael Chandra says:

And making it bigger means it has to fail bigger not only absolutely but also relatively? I fail to understand. A chain-reaction possible means the grid was designed poorly. We had a chopper destroy power cables and only a small part of the country was blacked out from that, because they were in a ‘corner’ of the network and the only cable leading there was the one cut. Had it happened anywhere away from a corner, the grid would have stood solidly for the entire country, rather than taking out part of CANADA.

Fugue says:

Wow, good thing I wasn’t going to buy his games anyway.

A full on delusional right wing kook rant, and not so thinly veiled racism? What a winning combination.

Seriously, fuck that guy.

Michael Chandra says:

He hasn’t realized apparently but you guys have been living in a third world country for ages now. I don’t see any civilized country (Italy’s not civilized) getting 1/3 of their country wiped out from the power grid due to a single failing point.

Meohfumado says:

And the posts here just prove the point I’ve been making for over a decade now.  Partisan politics is destroying America.

You people treat every political issue like its a fraking football game!!!  Win at all costs!  And one side has to be the loser!!

Politics is about making compromises.  But neither side wants to do that.  They just want to piss and moan when they don’t get their way, and then actively root for the other side (in other words: AMERICA) to fail so that they can win the next election cycle and try to push forward their own agenda again.  All a vain attempt by rich people (and all politicians are rich aristocrats) to maintain their hegemonic grip on power.  Another reason I can’t stand political dynasties like the Kennedys, Clintons, Bushes, etc….its all the same old boy’s club, just two sides of the same fraking coin.

Eff you all I say.

Government exists to ensure that money and power remain in the hands of the people who currently hold it.

Lou says:

Curt Schilling opens his big mouth again.

Heh what do you expect?? He’s from the Red Sox.

I find it sad and pathetic that fellow americans turn into whining brats just because they didn’t got their way. By the way Schilling nice shot of minorities, I’m sure you didn’t mean that NeoNatzi-like comment but these days I’m not even sure.

Zerodash says:

I always found it funny how hardcore lefties always pretended to be for the "common man".  When these folk voted for the wrong guy (George W.), suddenly the left lashed out at these people as being uneducated rednecks.

Malygris says:

Curt Schilling is an outstanding rightie and one of the most dominant post-season "go-to" guys in the history of the game.

How that makes him anything more than a rich guy with an opinion, I don’t really understand.

Zerodash says:

Not quite there yet.  Obama has already backed off on quite a bit on the government-runs-your-life stuff he ran on.  Just look at the makeup of his Cabinet- quite sensible and even a bit balanced if you ask me.

Papa Shango says:

Wow Curt Shilling letting loose with a conservative rant? Say it isn’t so!!!! This sounds exactly like the stuff he’ll say when he’s talking on AM radio.

Curt Shilling has an extremely large mouth and he will never learn to just shut it up.

Overcast says:

And what politician in either party could we not consider ‘rich’, lol.

It’s not like the typical democrat is ‘broke’ or ‘average’ by any means; nor any republican either. It’s just funny how one party puts out some spin how they are for ‘the common man’; all the while they are sending their kids to grade schools that cost over 20 grand a year and parking their cadillac or beamer in the driveway of their mansion or penthouse suite condo…

hayabusa75 says:

As I mentioned above, those comments were made by Hitchens.  Schilling doesn’t explicitly state whether he agrees or disagrees:

"I found this an interesting take from someone living in another country. Agree or disagree it’s a different perspective on this nation and our new President."

There’s a strong possibility he does agree with at least the main ideas of the article, but since this is the only quote by Schilling you have to at least give him some benefit of the doubt.

Some of you really need to read the articles more carefully before you type.

"There is no sin except stupidity." – Oscar Wilde

hayabusa75 says:

Peter Hitchens made that comment, not Schilling.  If you’re going to criticize someone, it’s generally a good idea to make sure your post doesn’t have mistakes itself.

Also, ever since they got rid of Manny, who else on the Red Sox has a big mouth these days?

"There is no sin except stupidity." – Oscar Wilde

Baruch_S says:

I think the Republicans would create the V for Vendetta scenario. They’re more likely to set up a fascist police state that tries to dictate morality to its people. The Democrats would probably set up the a government that would be a Nineteen Eighty-Four-style communist despotism that surpressed free thought and individuality in order to encourage uniformity and a forced version of equality.

BrandonL337 says:

I suppose it depends on what you would consider pork.

Duffy says:

The problem here is that your taxes are "fixing" the economy instead of your spending. It actuallly becomes a downward spiral over the long run since buisness are contiually operating at a loss. Optimally, failing buisnesses should close, they should not be artifically supported. I’m not blaming a particular political party for this; it’s partly an error within our economy that has run un-checked by the government; from the CEO abuse aspect and from the Americans’ distaste to let buisnesses fail even if they should.

On the flipside, and while I hate to say it, there are some big buisnesses we just can’t afford to let fail at this time, since there is no one there to replace them. But we should be moving away from the government buying them out and instead focus on regulating and adjusting taxes breaks to benefit growth.

Austin_Lewis says:

Pork is about 2 percent?  Are you fucking serious?  There’s at least 30 Billion worth of pork for one green project alone.
    Nice try.  I think you should come back with some facts next time.

BrandonL337 says:

The stimulous package isn’t killing our soldiers for nothing,

The majority of the poor are the working poor, those that work hard yet still do not have enough to live on, for example farmers that pick your crops barely make enough to feed themselves.

Despite what your Republican congressmen might tell you, pork is about 2 percent of the stimulous money.

Austin_Lewis says:

The Iraq war’s real cost is around 500 Billion dollars (there was a lot of pork on the bills that approved more spending).  It created jobs, a new government, and helped many industries in the US, as well as advancing our technology (UAV anyone?)

The Stimulus packages’ cost is about 850 Billion Dollars.  It will create no new jobs, get rid of some of the old ones, give money to people who don’t contribute in the first place, extend unemployment benefits for people who don’t go out and find new jobs (why should I seek a new job if I can wait for a year and still get paid?), throw money into blackholes that have been blackholes since they were begun, and, my personal favorite, is full of enough pork that it would put my favorite subway sandwich to shame.  (The sandwich is an Italian BMT, no salami, add bacon, double meat double cheese.  I eat it on days when I know I won’t get another meal.)

Which one is more a waste of money?

BrandonL337 says:

Wasting money?  My friend I have two words for you, Iraq War.

Austin_Lewis says:

It was absolutely Clinton’s fault.  The original plan for the battle of Mogadishu included armor (Tanks) and AC130 gunships (one of these alone is a force to be reckoned with, 2 or more is just plain overkill).  Bill Clinton denied the use of both, and the reasoning was ‘it’d look bad on TV’.

As for Black Hawk Helicopters, they’re great for troop movement, but of course they’re going to get shot down more.  Of all the helicopters the USMilitary uses, they’re the ones that spend the most time hovering; they hover when they’re deploying people via fast rope, they hover when they’re picking up people using that line they can drag behind them (if you’ve seen the recent Navy commercials, that thing the SEALs are all hooked up to is what I’m talking about), overall they just spend more time motionless due to the nature of their usage.

Baruch_S says:

That’s the one issue I’ve run across with expatriating. Historically, the United States tends to follow trends in Europe but 50 or so years later. Moving to Europe is pretty much out since they’re further into the liberal shift than the US is. While they could turn around–liberalism has been prominent long enough in Europe for people to become disillusioned with it and start to move back towards either libertarianism or even conservatism–I personally doubt that the movement will happen soon enough for my tastes.

Right now, I’m thinking an Asian country–either South Korea or Japan. As an English major, I could get a job teaching English in either place, and I’ve heard good things about the English teaching programs in both countries. It’s not optimal, but I wouldn’t be expatriating to a country that was even more deeply involved in the crap I’m moving to avoid, and I could still write and criticize the American sheeple from there.

gamadaya says:

I think Blackhawk Down was actually Columbia Pictures’ fault.

And I don’t think the Battle of Mogadishu was entirely Clinton’s fault. I mean, it would be if he was in the command center calling all the shots and directing the troops, but I doubt that he was. What he really should have done was get rid of those stupid Black Hawk helicopters. Even at the begining of the current Iraq war I heard news stories every few days about one getting shot down. I don’t think there’s another US aircraft that gets shot down more.

———————————

Internet troll > internet paladin

Austin_Lewis says:

Clinton’s military was underequipped, using M16’s that had, in some cases, last seen work in Panama, and had not seen an armorer in years.  Technology that was years behind, body armor that was years behind, etc.

Clinton didn’t turn the military into anything positive.  He denied units the support they deserved and needed (BLACKHAWK DOWN was entirely Clinton’s fault), shrunk valuable units, and turned the military into a smaller, less well trained and less efficient model of what it had been.

gamadaya says:

Clinton managed the military far better than Bush did. He turned it into exactly what was needed. A smaller, more efficient fighting force that was designed to win it’s battles through strategic fighting and the proper use of intelligence gathering. And it’s not like we threw away all of the equipment when Clinton took office either. We just cut funding to the stuff we didn’t really need anymore, like expensive and irrelivent missile defense systems. Of course when Bush took office and appointed Rumsfeld as the secretary of defense, we just had to have those damn missile defense systems, because they’re so fucking useful. But we need money to fund them, and with all the tax cuts, we have to get it from somewhere else. How about intelligence funding? Who needs that, right? I mean, any future attacks on the US will be missile attacks anyway, so intelligence is irrelivant.

And even with all of this retarded mismanagement and fuck ups, we still would have probably been OK if we stuck with the job in Afganistan. Clinton’s military was perfectly suited to an operation like that, and we had international support. But no, we had to invade Iraq as well. Well, there goes the international support. I don’t think it’s really Clinton’s fault that Bush was a moron of epic proportions.

———————————

Internet troll > internet paladin

Weatherlight says:

Created by cutting military spending past a critical point, which caused the entire infrastructure of the military to be gutted, leaving our military useless without PMC’S, costing us billions if not more when they were needed.
    Hmmm…. I wonder if we could do it over again what we could have done better…..

~Weatherlight~

shady8x says:

Sorry but Clinton was a terrible president who got lucky cause the internet become popular and lots of new jobs became available during his time…

He used the good times to help build China’s and India’s economies… Now business move there from here primarly thanks to him… not to mention that they are now hugry for coal and oil just like us…

Seriously Clinton=terrible president…

So far Obama is superior to the last two presidents, the again doing nothing would have made him supirior as well considering how great the last two presidents were…

Baruch_S says:

You should just expatriate. I’m considering doing so after I get done with college. There’s a long tradition of writers who become disillusioned with the US government and move to other countries to write scathing political commentaries, I think joining that tradition would be fun. It’s either that or I have to join up with the Libertarians and become part of a revolution to make this country what it’s actually supposed to be.

gamadaya says:

My taxes go up too, but I’m still an Obama supporter. See low taxes are nice, but when you get to the point where your entire economic infrastructure is failing, maybe it’s time to raise taxes just a tad on the people who can actually afford to pay more. I mean, I’d rather have less money when the money is actually worth something than a lot of worthless money. Under Clinton, I paid more taxes and made less money than under Bush, but I was still more financially secure.

———————————

Internet troll > internet paladin

Afirejar says:

Under your last Democrat president, the US budget had a surplus, if I remember correctly. How long do you think can you keep low taxes and simultaneous money wasting going on?

Austin_Lewis says:

You changed a word and invalidated the truth of the statement.

You see, under a republican president, my tax rates drop to be a bit closer to what the average man pays.  Under a democrat, I go back to 36-50%.

Krono says:

You’re basically catching crap for the crop of CEOs that is making headlines with multimillion dollar salaries and benefits, followed by golden parachutes to leave their failures for others to clean up.

If those CEOs were actually working hard like they’re getting paid to do, the only rich people in the headlines would be celebrities (read attention whores) and stuff like Bill Gates scaring people with mosquitoes.

-Gray17

Ashla says:

I worked damn hard, and I hate how every time a Republican becomes president and starts up with wasting money faster than anyone before him (like this stimulus bill), the first people they take from are people who do work hard.  The people who’ve worked hard through their whole lives get fucked.  And that pisses me off.

See what I just did there?

Zerodash says:

I could better deal with being targeted for higher taxes if there wasn’t the implication that I somehow cheated others by being successful.  I helped create many jobs by the effort I made growing my company- and yet people like me get treated like crap for it.

Vake Xeacons says:

I almost started to agree with him right there at the begining. I think much of the nation has taken an absurdly messianic view of Obama. But this guy’s comments turn racist at the end. Obama’s success has little to with his race. Alan Keyes has been running since 2000 (and I’ve been voting for him since). Nor, I’m sure it’s obvious now, is a black (or any non-white) president mean definite doom for our beloved nation. This guy’s religeous remarks are also absurd. This nation is far from Christian, the world from Muslim. Facts would almost be the other way around. But I can promise you one thing: it’s sink or swim for the blacks with Obama. If Obama does good, and manages to pull us out of this recession, America will have a stronger faith in non-white candidates. If he fails, we’ll probably not see another for along time. I sympathise with Obama: so much stands on his shoulders. I hope he pulls us through.

Michael Chandra says:

Alright, if you’re going to make that claim, care to back it up? I mean, you claim it’s all about the party-line? Prove it. Show me every article involving a republican or democrat, and how the party is referred to in those. Until you do, stop going haywire about an article regarding a important gamer’s opinion about politics.

ShadowDragon28 says:

I actually did a search on some of the recent articles mentioning a Repulican or a Democrat and found that both sides are equally identified by either party affiliation or simply a (D) or (R).

E. Zachary Knight says:

Wow. I never noticed that. Probably because  I am not a hard core anything.

If you look at the racist articles, you will see a lot of comments from people decrying racism, but often they are the only ones who see it.

I hope you can get the connection here to your own comments.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

Neo_DrKefka says:

Again in most of these articles in which you do represent Democrats, you most of the time represent them when objecting to them as their title as in profession and their name or were they are from. Rarely do we see their party affliation if we do again, it’s just a (D).

If you look back at the past history of most articles on here when comparing between Republicans and Democrats you’ll notice Republicans will be mentioned by party name fully in the title and good number of times.

Neo_DrKefka says:

Again, to be on point. Most of the gaming legislation done in this country is done by the left. There are very few Republicans who have been out there who have gone out of there way to try to ban games or censor them. Those who have been pointed out on this site. But when we have our Democratic legislators coming out to try to ban or create gaming laws for some reason their party affiliation is noticeably absent or we just have a "(D)" pointing to their party status.

However if it was a Republican it would be head lined and the word Republican would be in use plenty of times in that given article.

It’s like my good ol former governor Blago. It’s nice a good majority of articles and blogs out there left leaning kind of left out his party status and referred to him most of the time as "The Illinois Governor"

However noting every other article on these sites with a Republican its pointed out heavily, that Republican Senator or Governor.

I mean if you have a bias put it on the bottom of the screen just for full disclosure because this bias just makes you another MoveOn.Org satelight

E. Zachary Knight says:

Democrats criticized by GamePolitics:

Hilary Clinton

Leland Yee

Joe Biden

Barack Obama

That’s just off the top of my head without actually searching the archives.

Dennis posted several stories about Obama’s "put down the controllers" remarks. Frankly, that is the only verifiable instance of him being "against" gaming. But frankly it wa smore like a stance against lazyness.

If you can point me to some actual documented history of him not supporting the games industry besidesthe aforementioned comment. Please link away.

As for the blacklist thing, I don’t follow. This article in no way is trying to blacklist 38 Studios or Curt Shilling. Dennis is pointing out his opinion. Dennis has posted several stories about other game industry figures who have both supportive and critical opinions of quite a few presidents and presidential candidates.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

HarmlessBunny says:

I think you are looking into this a little too far. I don’t see anything suggesting black listing. Quite frankly it doesn’t matter much too me. If they came out with a good game, I would still buy from them (I am Canadian, I am rather neutral to US politics ๐Ÿ˜› )From what I can see, this isn’t an anti-republican piece….just a game developer giving a piece of their mind.

I suggest trying decaf.

Neo_DrKefka says:

So are we now black listing anyone in the gaming industry who disagrees or doesn’t want to follow along with Barack Obama? Why does it matter if a gaming head doing not agree with Obama? Should we put a list of all those who do not support Obama on a map on google showing there addresses and home addresses as well so we can all see and avoid them?

This sounds like a Blacklist to me, if you don’t support my guy and share his views then let’s put him on blast.

The man has a record of not supporting the game industry and that we should get off our gaming systems and do other things, or put down the controlers . Instead of digging up dirt on every Republican out there, how bout in a fair and balenced way go dig up something on a Democrat as well and note they are Democrats when you post an article about them because it is always highlighted here if a person is a conservative or Republican.

It would be nice if you just not added a (D) whenever you mention a Democrat but go all out as you do Republicans or someone who does not share your views.

Daria_C says:

I think we also have nailed Joseph Lieberman, but hes and "ex" democrate, ever since the party chose someone else over him in a general election, and he turned into a complete brat.

lordlundar says:

Until there’s an actual game going, I’m simply going to call him an idiot with money and a big mouth.

It took a fair bit of digging just to find a title for the game his company’s working on, and there’s nothing but a rendered mounted horse as far as anyone knows.

questionmark1987 says:

This just in, head of game company opens mouth, angering large portion of US playerbase and alienating company from it’s own main market.

*facepalm

JustChris says:

While I partly agree that the Obama frenzy has been taken to ridiculous heights and even commercialized in blatant ways, we cannot put Obama entierly at fault for that.

He is an eloquent speaker, sure, but more significantly he’s an eloquent speaker who is succeeding someone who many people consider to be the worst president in modern times and during a time which the economy and national security are totally different than 8 years ago.

So really, a lot of people are ecstatic about Obama mainly because he came in right after Bush. If Obama came right after Bill Clinton it would’ve been different. He probably wouldn’t even be president ( For the sake of this example let’s assume Obama was already prepared to run for president in 2000). So if Obama won back then, he follows Clinton, our economy’s still in good shape, 9/11 hasn’t happened, Democrats cheer yay another president and yay he’s also the first black president and that is that. Not much is expected to change.

Of course that’s not how it’s happened so people like to see Obama’s election something significant for dreary times, like a phoenix rising out of the ashes.

This frenzy has more to do with timing than anything else.

GameSnooper

Meohfumado says:

"You know what I wish? I wish all the scum of the Earth had one throat and I had my hands about it."

BrandonL337 says:

"is Zackory going to edit this one out because I am daring to question your Lord God and Savior?"

You know what, you’re an idiot.  No one on the left referes to Obama as the "messiah"

Speaking of which ever seen the documentary Jesus Camp where the brainwashed kids are praying and reaching out to George W. Bush

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fxdt_f0hwUg&hl=en&fs=1&quot;></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fxdt_f0hwUg&hl=en&fs=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Damn, well here’s the link

Krono says:

So let me get this straight. Dennis giving Mr. Schilling a bit more publicity for his criticism of Obama = A pro-Obama post that calls for a blacklisting of Mr. Schilling?

What an interesting world you must live in. Would I be correct in my guess that if Dennis did not help spread Mr. Schilling’s views, you’d be accusing him of muffing criticism of our new President?

-Gray17

E. Zachary Knight says:

I don’t really see how this si a pro Obama Article. What makes it so?

Now if you want articles that portray Obama in a negative light on this site, you will have to wait until he does something that is unfavorable to gaming.

E. Zachary Knight
    Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

E. Zachary Knight
    Divine Knight Gaming
    Oklahoma Game Development
    Rusty Outlook
    Random Tower
    My Patreon

Neo_DrKefka says:

Again, is this a leftist blog now? Are we totally in the tank for Obama? When will you write an article not favorable to Obama? When will you put a negative game about Obama daily as this site does for Republicans? Seriously, is Zackory going to edit this one out because I am daring to question your Lord God and Savior?

At least most game sites claim hey I have my token Republican Friend or write (Who not suprsingly views are not to the right or conservative at all) but come on, what ever happened to neturality in the press. And they wonder why the New York times and most publications that are not completely to the left and bias are going out of buisness.

Ignore that comment and explain to me why you bias is a good thing?

Alex says:

If what he says is related to politics, yes. This is GAMEPOLITICS, after all.

I’m not under the affluence of incohol as some thinkle peep I am. I’m not half as thunk as you might drink. I fool so feelish I don’t know who is me, and the drunker I stand here, the longer I get.

BearDogg-X says:

You do realize that Schilling once played for the Phillies?

Geaux Saints, Geaux Tigers, Geaux Hornets, Jack Thompson can geaux chase a chupacabra.

Saints(3-4), LSU(7-0)

Leet Gamer Jargon says:

No, you jackass, that’s how you viewed the U.S.: through your pathetically conservative, red-rose tinted glasses. The rest of the populace (at least the majority of them) viewed the U.S. as a once-great nation slowly discending into ruin, all because of the actions of an idiotic, "C"-average, drunk-driver-turned-born-again-Christian bastard child who ravaged the nation for a full goddamned 8 years.

And you think we’re turning into a Third World country because of the actions of our new President instead of the actions of the old? Yeah, that makes complete sense.

Thank God I support the Phillies. ๐Ÿ˜›

———————————————————————————————–

Game on, brothers and sisters.

mogbert says:

Not saying there aren’t rich Democrats, after all SOMEONE has to donate to that party or they wouldn’t have had much of an election. However, the point is still that this story is meerly stating that this rich guy is a republican. Driving to work, I notice that most people with compact cars under $20k had Obama stickers, while people with $30k and up usually had McCain stickers. There are going to be people in the middle, and rich people who are Democrats and poor people who are Republican, but the vast majority seem to fall in depending on the income. So a story about some guy who made a lot in sports and has opened his own videogame studio is a republican seem rather redundant.

Austin_Lewis says:

Fucking exactly.  All the people who say that we should give to the poor, a lot of these people are either the poor with their hands open for my tax dollars or they’re the rich ‘Hollywood-type’ elite, who have no intention of giving a damn thing, what with their money being squirrelled away in offshore accounts and other tax dodges.  Of course, when a republican does the same thing, they’re tax-dodgers, but when Michael Moore does it he’s a whistle blower.  Bullshit.

Austin_Lewis says:

The thing is, under Obama the social service tit-suckling is going to fucking explode.

I worked damn hard, and I hate how every time a Democrat becomes president and starts up with wasting money faster than anyone before him (like this stimulus bill), the first people they take from are people who do work hard.  The people who’ve worked hard through their whole lives get fucked.  And that pisses me off.

Overcast says:

Thing is – both statements are pretty accurate, lol.

Zerodash says:

I am no fan of Obama (I worked too hard to be punished for it), but Schilling seems to be way out on a limb here.

Calling an Obama win a "long slow descent into the Third World" is about as stupid as calling George W. the new Hitler.  Welfare "addiction" has been around for a long time, and it even flourished under Republican administrations.  That Schilling thinks that America will suddenly become a 100% welfare state in just one presidency is absurd.

Zerodash says:

There are plenty of rich people who are liberal Democrats.  (Most) Hollywood actors, Ted Turner, Michael Moore, Barbrah Streisshand (sp?), Bruce Springsteen, etc are all filthy rich. That’s not to mention quite a few members of the lawyerly profession.

Some might even call them hypocrites.  After all, they certainly don’t plan on giving up the wealth they’ve earned when the socialist revolution comes.  They expect to be in charge- just like the pigs in the book Animal Farm…

barra_sadei says:

Um… This guy sounds less like a conservative and more… facist. I mean, sure, the US is undoubtably Christain (especially with the influx of Mexican immigrants (preominantly Catholic)), but… I’m sorry, what he said sounds entirely like he should be standing on a corner shouting, "White Power!"

That, and, being a conservative, he’s a member of the Grand Old Party… Which, when created, was liberal.

Yay Government & Politics AP!

GoodRobotUs says:

When I have to carry a bucket 20 miles to get a drink, then I’ll be ‘third world’. Until that point he can keep his prejudices and assumptions to himself.

‘If Americans listened to the British we’d still be forced to quarter their soldiers whenever those damn redcoats wanted.’ – Of course, now, the situation is exactly the opposite :p