Capcom Debit Card – Deal or No Deal?

Kotaku and other sites reported today on a new series of game-themed "Unity" debit cards from Capcom. Here’s how Kotaku explained the program:

The co-branded Visa debit card is the first of its kind in North America. The cards will feature art from Street Fighter IV, Resident Evil 5 and Bionic Commando.

The pre-paid cards will also let gamers earn points on Capcom-Unity.com, cash back from online or retail purchases and earn "accelerated rewards" through the online Capcom rewards mall…

Unity card holders will also be able to "jump the line" at Capcom events or gatherings, gain access to Beta tests and other things like "being written into a Capcom game or comic book or possibly even being an extra in a Capcom movie.

However, the Bitbag urges caution before taking the Capcom card plunge:

I just wanted to warn folks that are planning on getting this “rewards” card that it doesn’t really give you Capcom-specific rewards. There is also a $9.95 set-up fee and a $4.95 monthly fee. Just lookin’ out for you guys.

GP: Gamers, what do you think?

22 comments

1. Freyar says:

Quite frankly? No. I don’t want a pre-paid card especially when they want to pull five ever month. <br><br>I’ve had pre-paid cards before, but even these only pulled three bucks after six months every year. Even still, don’t they make money on that anyway? Isn’t that how a bank is supposed to work? Take your money, loan it out at a higher interest rate than the bank is paying you?<br><br> Publicity stunt, expensive, not really neat-o (wasn’t a fan of the Street Fighter series), and with previous attempts (WoW Credit), I’ve been almost permanently burned from the idea.<br><br>—- <br>There is a limit for both politicians against video games, and video games against politicians. <br>http://www.goteamretard.com

PS: Looks like the WYSIWYG editor finally died.

2. mr_mlk says:

Re: interest- Aye it can be a killer but I get 60 days interest free and I pay it all at the end of the month. It is the "Payment Protection" that bites me in the bum. 🙁

So just missing the reward points. I could switch to an airmiles card (also had a "your own design" option) but I use it so rarely it would take a life time to make it to a flight down the road. 🙂

> Additionally yes it is pretty standard even pricing

Wow. A month charge for a debit card seams wrong to me.

3. catboy_j says:

Yeah but this supposedly offers reward points? Additionally yes it is pretty standard even pricing. Around here a lot of people use a "Green dot" brand debit card which has the exact same pricing but with no rewards/pretty images. Plus Debit cards are different then credit cards. The interest you can wrack up here for one.

4. mr_mlk says:

A short while ago Lloyds would let me put any photo I liked on my Credit Card for about 3 quid. A much better deal and I can use any game I want. 🙂

5. GrlGmr says:

I’d get one if my bank offered it and it didn’t have any fees, and it had Mega Man or Viewtiful Joe on it instead.

6. jossy says:

I buy them preloaded Visa, which means that I must update my billing information now when I try that I put in all the info, but when I click it says is that the code Security is not valid. What does this mean?

Global Visas

7. Seiena_Cyrus says:

Agreed I’d be more likely to sign up for the WoW Visa then a pre paid like this…I had a prepaid visa once and it did state the 4.99 monthly charge thing on the back, what it didn’t state is that it would deduct it from the card and do horrible things to you if you didn’t have money on the card when they went to get their money off it….I ended up using it once to empty it and then cutting it up and canceling it because it wasn’t that great…

8. SeanB says:

Not something i would buy, but as a product i dont see a problem with it, as long as those fees are stated UP FRONT and not ever hidden.

9. ZippyDSMlee says:

I’ve bought pre paid cards befor but never had to pay a monthly on them 0-o

Gore,Violence,Sexauilty,Fear,Emotion these are but modes of transportation of story and thought, to take them from society you create a society of children and nannys, since adults are not required.

10. mr_mlk says:

That is standard in the US then?

In the UK any current bank account comes with a debit card with no upfront fees or monthly charges. This sort of pre-pay debit card is now making its way over here, but it is still quite rare.

11. lizardinmycoffee says:

Yes WoW did this about 2 years ago. The difference between this and WoW was that they gave actual credit cards, rather than a prepaid debit card. There was no start up or monthly fee associated with it, but if you had bad credit, the interest rates weren’t worth it.

12. finaleve says:

Didn’t World of Warcraft do this?  This isn’t the only time it’s been done…

A lot of the benefits seem a bit out there, but at the same time kinda cool, but also seem like it would never happen.

13. Bennett Beeny says:

A debit card with a monthly fee?  What marketing genius thought that one up?

I guess maybe they’re counting on the drooling moron demographic.

14. ZippyDSMlee says:

Why are you paying 4.99 a month for a pre paid card? 0-o

15. catboy_j says:

It sounds cool if the card looks awesome. But Not the cheapest. I might consider it considering I have to buy a lot of stuff I like (IE Gundam models) online.

16. Chuma says:

Looks bloody awful as a credit card, artwork aside; I’m not paying monthly subs for a CC and I bet the APR% is huge as well.  No amount of gaming logo is going to make me ignore basic financial common sense.

17. Andrew Eisen says:

And just to preempt JT:

"Must be 13 years or older to sign up. Between ages 13 and 17, parental verification is required during the sign-up process. Have your parents with you when enrolling, because their specific information will be required during the sign-up process."

Andrew Eisen