Report: Lesbian Finds Herself Banned From Xbox Live

A woman who identified herself as a lesbian in her Xbox Live profile has reportedly been banned from Microsoft’s online gaming venue.

The woman, known only as "Teresa," told The Consumerist:

My [Xbox Live] account was suspended because I had said in my profile that I was a lesbian. I was harassed by several players, ‘chased’ to different maps/games to get away from their harassment. They followed me into the games and told all the other players to turn me in because they didn’t want to see that crap or their kids to see that crap.

As if xbox live is really appropriate for kids anyways! My account was suspended and xbox live did nothing to solve this, but instead said others found it offensive…

Microsoft does nothing to stop this or prevent it, but instead sides with the homophobes…

Microsoft, which in September received a perfect score from gay equality group Human Rights Campaign, has struggled with the gay identity issue on Xbox Live.

Most notably, in 2008 XBL banned the gamertag "Richard Gaywood," even though it was the user’s actual name.

catboy_j says:

I just want to note to people a few things. If you think a wide variety of users can’t just report you for something cause they’re pissed off, you should do a little research about Yahoo Answeres. It’s one of the larger complaints is that if a large bunch of people are offended by something no matter what, and report you, instant account removal or whatever else.

Plus having played XBL I can attest it to being as bad as 4chan’s /b/ sometimes. Sure you get lots of nice people. But you get a shitload of dicks who are hellbent on causing pain because it amuses them. The few times I’ve played on my brothers name I actually increased my vocabulary of swears and insults.

The Great Shao Ting says:

This is confusing … I mean, if the whole mindset is "don’t ask, don’t tell", why do they allow users to write down their sexual orientation in the first place? It’s a waste of allocated yet largely unused system resources that could be put to better use elsewhere, from a purely technical standpoint.

Oh and … this just in.

EDIT: Stay Tuned, Everyone!!

chadachada321 says:

Or it could be the former, what the other poster said. The point is, we don’t know the whole story. If a PETA member came into a public chat and starting saying what they normally say, I’d probably blast their profile/stuff too!

Granted, this girl might not have said anything to provoke the incident, and I think what is on someone’s profile should not be subject to any restrictions period. If you get offended, suck it up, because you don’t have to look at it.

But, there is a chance that this girl came into a chat, some people saw she was a girl, tried flirting with her, and she might’ve came off as a big lesbo bitch, yada yada. We just don’t know the whole story.

Kincyr says:

I’ll agree with you there (keyword being ‘sometimes’). after all, when was the last time someone advertised on LIVE that they were straight? answer: chances are there has yet to be a first time

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

Chaplain99 says:

Or, it could be just as she describes it, and she’s the real victim here.

I agree, sexuality has little to no place on XBox LIVE, but if you really wanna play Big Brother, here…

"HEY! LISTEN!"

Wolvenmoon says:

Microsoft provides xbox live as a gaming service, not a matchmaking service. Regardless of if she was straight, lesbian, asexual, pansexual, or any other form of sexual it does not belong on xbox live.

Dating services have to meet VERY harsh standards and are open to lawsuits by all sorts of trigger happy groups. It isn’t a matter of ‘gay’ or ‘lesbian’ rights here, but a matter of appropriate places to express sexuality (Be it dating, etc).

Xbox live is not set up to be a matchmaking site, it is not meant to foster romantic relationships, and her being a lesbian has no place on xbox live.

Sometimes gay/lesbian/bisexual people-especially teens-run around advertising it to stir up controversy. Attention whoring knows no sexuality. The fact of the matter is she probably screamed it over voice chat first chance she got, or began describing lesbian sex over voicechat, and that pissed other gamers who didn’t want anything to do with it off.

Tell me, if this was a PETA gamer saying their ‘rights’ had been infringed on and that they were just saying their legitimate belief was anyone that ate meat raped babies, would any of you have any sympathy for them?

Chaplain99 says:

What people also don’t realize is that a Gamertag is alot like an IM name, in that the person on the other end of the ethernet cable may not be the person that created the account.  Which is why I give my roommates a hard time when they play Halo 3 on my account and talk trash to the French, etc.  ^^;

"HEY! LISTEN!"

Chaplain99 says:

"Struggles" is the key word in this article.  Microsoft is doing its best, but its system of regulation is inherently flawed in that it relies heavily on the input of its users.  Microsoft doesn’t have the time/resources to look at every individual case report, so they rely more on the reports of other players.  An overwhelming amount of people that report negatively about one gamer most likely will lead to that gamer getting banned, regardless of if they are at fault or not.

This time, it happened to be because someone said they were a lesbian on their bio.  This isn’t a case of sexism/racism, so much as it is a case about Microsoft’s flawed regulatory system.

"HEY! LISTEN!"

Adrian Lopez says:

Exactly. This woman’s account has presumably been banned over a single mention of the word "lesbian", while those who harassed her and those who routinely behave in an antisocial manner continue to play on Xbox Live without consequence.

Any word on whether Microsoft will allow her to create a new account or restore her existing one after removing the word "lesbian" from her profile? Does she get a second chance at all?

This sort of nonsense in terms of service enforcement is the reason I don’t like centralized online services for consoles.

MartyB says:

Including the MS response, I can understand they’re stand on this, but also the frustrations of the user.

If MS does enforses no sexual preferences of any kind, gay or straight, in the tags,  then thats fine. I can see why MS doesn’t want to open this can of worms, as we know, anyway you look at this, immaturity and stupidity of the internet users will just abuse of it.  then MS will have to investigate every tag to see if your use of the words are legitimate, or an abusive joke.

And i don’t think the sexual orientation as anything to do in a gamer tag… straight or gay…

gamadaya says:

You’re making a really good case against MS here. But they also have this:

• Don’t create a gamertag or motto that other users may be offended by, this includes comments that look, sound like, stand for, hint at, abbreviate, or insinuate any of the following: profane words/phrases, topics or content of a sexual nature, hate speech (including but not limited to racial, ethnic, or religious slurs), illegal drugs/controlled substances, or illegal activities.
    • Don’t create a gamertag or motto that references controversial religious topics, notorious people, organizations, or sensitive current or historical events that may also be considered inappropriate.

So basically, both parties are at fault here.

Internet troll > internet paladin

Kojiro says:

Are we sure the account hasn’t just been shutdown due to community complaints?  Don’t you get banned if you recieve enough complaints?

This sucks, but if she was being harassed so endlessly, she should have just removed it from her profile.  It’s easy enough to do.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m not blaming her for this, but she could have easily avoided it.  I get crap from rednecks about my name, calling me chink and jap, saying they’re going to bomb Hiroshima again, and generally being an ass to me.  People on Xbox LIVE are assholes and they look for anything different about you, using your name and profile for clues as to what to say, to try and get under your skin (especially when you are kicking their ass).  Fortunately it doesn’t happen enough for me to change it, but if it did I would just change it to "Joe American" or something and be done.  Of course, then the Brits would make fun of me…

Didn’t someone write an article recently about how LIVE is seen as a place where there are no social repercussions and so they drop all courtesy and get as racist and homophobic as they want to be?

Daria_C says:

I read about this yesterday when it got posted on the shoutbox. This is disgusting, but i’m not suprised due to the level of macho-tard on X-box live. Its even worse when a guy whoes real name is  "Gaywood" is considered to be offensive to the ultra-macho jock class of XBL.

Kincyr says:

As if xbox live is really appropriate for kids anyways!

I agree. and surprisingly, so does Microsoft, at least according to their Terms of Use: (underlined for emphasis)

If you allow or enable a minor to use your Service account or an associated account, then:

• You represent that you are the parent or legal guardian of each such minor;
    • You acknowledge that you are aware that some features of the Service, and some content available through the Service may contain or expose users to material that is unsuitable for minors, and you agree to supervise usage by minors whom you permit to use the Service . The Service is not intended for use by children under 13 , except together with a parent or other adult supervision

additional: Two items in the LIVE Code of Conduct are:

• Don’t harass, abuse, or spam other players.
    • Don’t scream, yell, threaten, or stalk other players.

岩「…Where do masochists go when they die?」

Shadow D. Darkman says:

"She should have wrote down the names of the people who did it and then put out on the internet. I’m sure karma would return them a favor."

Ten bucks says they’ve already put her on Encyclopedia Dramatica. If so, her doing that would only get her raided.

Speaking of which, Captain Falcon is still demanding an explanation for what they did to Trisha Aurora. I guess Raptor Jesus is still pissed, since I still hear the words "pointless shit" in my sleep.

Valdearg says:

I said in an earlier post that being Gay/Bi is part of who they are. It is a unique feature of a person, since not everybody is gay, and sometimes, they feel that it is of enough interest to mention when describing themselves. They aren’t out there just throwing it in peoples faces, like so many Homophobes seem to think.

Papa Shango says:

People being assholes on Xbox Live? Seriously??????

Honestly a large part of me says what makes you think that if you put lesbian in your profile people won’t freak out on you. I mean this is Xbox Live where calling people the N word is means of some peoples entertainment. I’ve never heard of someone stalking the person into multiple rooms though.Oh yea back to what I was saying that’s what the large part of me thinks but then I think who the hell does that sort of thing(constant harassment to the point of filing complaints to boot someone off XBL). It’s just such a trivial thing. She should have wrote down the names of the people who did it and then put out on the internet. I’m sure karma would return them a favor.

Angry Pixel says:

Because being gay or bisexual has a large impact on your life so when describing oneself, a lot of homosexuals will make mention of their sexual orientation.

Positive_Gamer says:

Well, the difference is they monitor what’s typed, not said.  She put it in her profile.  They don’t have the manpower to monitor everything said in every game in every match, just what people put in to text.

Positive_Gamer says:

Why bring up your sexual orientation in a game anyway?  What’s the point?  When I was a boy, your sexual orientation and sexual habits were between you and your partner.  It’s not something that needs to be shouted out to other people.  All it does is bring attention to you, which I can’t help but think is what she wanted.

I’ve played games on Live.  I’m pretty sure you can’t follow people between games if they are not your friend.

Adrian Lopez says:

Isn’t it amazing how a player can be banned for saying she’s a Lesbian when so many other players can get away with calling each other "fags"? Apparently, only disparaging references to homosexuality are permitted on Xbox Live.

Wimblesaurus says:

The ironic part is that the Abrahamic Bible never outright forbids homosexuality or even really says anything about it [] (which I might add is a site on the religious moderate right), so most of the people attacking homosexuality on religious grounds on XBL are being uneducated about their own religion.  The rest are just ignorant pricks in general or actually justified on religious grounds (as far as justification for bigotry goes).

Neeneko says:

Oh, there are plenty of other rights groups out there, some of which the gay leadership is currently turning on in order to make themselves look more moderate.

BrandonL337 says:

Yeah but Atheists aren’t missing some rights that the religious hold so it really is more a matter of public acceptance than civil rights

There have always been motherf*ckers, there will always be motherf*ckers, but what we can’t do is let them control our motherf*cking lives. -John Oliver, December 1st, 2008

BrandonL337 says:

Because hate is an inescapable element of the human condition and as humans we must find something, or someone, or some group to hate.  It is unavoidable, we all hate and for many of us there is no good justifiable reason for that hate and all we can do is try to educate the next generation so that the hate will eventually die out.

gamadaya says:

lol, I sometimes find myself thinking that gay rights is the last big civil rights issue, but then I remember that atheists are considered to be the least trustworthy group in the country.

Internet troll > internet paladin

gamadaya says:

Yeah, now that I think of it, the mid-west and south share a lot of similarities. I haven’t really lived in the mid-west since I was 8, but even then I though they were pretty socially backwards.

And yeah, things can always get a hell of a lot worse really quick, but the general trend since the dark ages has been a move towards more progressive thinking.

Internet troll > internet paladin

Neeneko says:

Though there is always the possiblity of backlash.   For instance I’ve been seeing a new wave of anti-women’s-lib over the last few years so short term things can really go backwards.

I’m not sure how much I would blame ‘the south’ in this case.  The mid-west can be pretty bad for gays too, as well as the west, and east, etc.   The south does have a high percentage of baptists which are currently a problem but they are far from the only group.

gamadaya says:

Southerner here too. Well, not really anymore. I live in northern MD now, but I used to live in Oklahoma. I’m not going to pretend that the North and South are equal in terms of gay/lesbian acceptance. And if you aren’t one of those stupid rednecks, then you should know that that statement doesn’t apply to you.

Internet troll > internet paladin

Adamas Draconis says:

AHEM! Southerner here! That kinda paints with the same kinda brush as "gays/pagans/whatever are EVIL!" Line there Gama.

Hunting the shadows of the troubled dreams.

gamadaya says:

I know, it makes me so happy! No matter how much they oppose us, they will lose in the end, because they are going to die long before we do!

Oh, and I don’t agree with your last sentence. It should read "the South is still adjusting".

Internet troll > internet paladin

Neeneko says:

Oh they are.  Just look at how people, say, 50 and younger react as opposed to 50 and older.

The Prop 8 demographics really showed this divide.  People over a certain age tended to be fore the ammendment, people under a certain age tended to vote against it.  If you cut out the 50 and older crowd it was firmly rejected.

It’s a slow process and the country is still adjusting to the OTHER big changes (blacks are equal, women voting, interracial marriage, etc) but still moving in a positive dirrection.

Neeneko says:

It comes down to parents not wanting their children exposed to homosexuals too early.

Many parents work hard to make sure thier children see gays as immoral or dangerous, painting them as bad people who should be avoided.  If thier kids then encounter openly gay people on-line who are actually good people it undermines the parent’s efforts and, in their worst case, if the kid IS gay it will encourage them to start exploring their feelings rather then sitting in a frightened huddled ball worrying that they are a monster.

A shortened version.. many parents do not want their kids to see gays as actual people, but as an abstract and easily demonized ‘other’ group.  At least until the kids are old enough to make the programming difficiult to break.

Geoff says:

Well duh, it’s the whole homosexual agenda.  They want to turn your kids gay, burn down all the churches, and make all the God-fearing Christians abort their babies.

Or some such nonsense.

I’ve tried to find logic in anti-gay arguments.  Have yet to find any.  It’s either due to extreme religious belief or because it’s "icky".

Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cook-book! Little Red Cook-book!

Nocturne says:

Because some people are scared at how pretty they are and get all confused?

Really I have no idea, makes no sense when there’s so many legitimiate reasons in the world to hate someone, like they enjoy stabbing people or killing puppies, hating someone because of who they love, how they look or what they believe just seems dumb.

Bill says:

I see.  So bigotry and being a bigot is acceptable if you don’t believe the same thing as those you are bigoted against. That’s fucking brilliant.  Everyone meet KaylaKaze the Happy Bigot. You do know there are gays & lesbians who are religious right?

Willful ignorance.  There is no such thing.  Being ignorant means to be without knowledge.  Once someone is informed they are no longer ignorant, regardless if they believe that in which they were informed of…  Shithead (Definition: one whose head is full of shit).

Try a little exercise.  From your words I’d say you don’t believe in any god.  Now just for 24 hours believe in god (Doesn’t matter which one… any one will do).  Now I don’t mean pretend to believe in a god, I mean really make yourself really truly believe in a god.  You can’t can you?  Because you simply don’t believe.  People don’t choose what they believe, they either do or they don’t.  For that you think they should be made fun of?

BTW, you can try this experiment with other shit too.  What’s really going to blow your mind is when you find out that grass is really blue.  That’s right someone handed you a crayon and told you that shit was green and sure enough the wrapper said green and you fell for it.  Dumbass.

KaylaKaze says:

There’s no problem with being “bigoted” against someone who chooses to to be superstitious and ignore all evidence that what they believe is a delusion. That’s willful ignorance and should be ridiculed. Sane people shouldn’t sit by and let insane people try to drag us back to the stone age without raising opposition. It’s the “reality based community” of people, those that don’t have imaginary magical friends, that are still bashed with wild abandon on the TV news and polled as the least likely to ever be voted into office.

Austin_Lewis says:

You also have NO PROOF that she DIDN’T provoke it.  My point is that we’re only getting a very small part of the story.  Sure, XBL subscribers are dicks; but if they’re as bad as you think, surely this would have happened before now.

Chaplain99 says:

I’d find it quite humorous to have a homosexual gamer report the account of a heterosexual gamer because he/she put in his/her bio, "I live with my [opposite-gender partner]."

That would make my day.

"HEY! LISTEN!"

Snipzor says:

But you assume all of this based on something you have NO PROOF for, the idea that she provoked it. Which just makes your entire argument null and void, because you have no proof and the fact is that Xbox Live subscribers are infamous for being dicks.

BrandonL337 says:

Dude, people have been killed just for being gay it’s really not that much of a stretch that one would be harrassed for it.  He could have looked at her profile for many reasons she could have been doing really well, or as someone said above he could have been bored, or she could have sent him a friend request and he was checking her profile, or hell he could have looked at her profile intending to send her a friend request.

Valdearg says:

I still love the fact that you STILL seem to be convinced that she got what was coming to her..

Not to mention all of your "She probably was a total Bitch" style arguments are total speculation.

Just because you don’t see crap like that happening every day, doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. Also, if you can’t see it, you MUST be either completely ignorant that it is happening or even complacent to let it happen. (Your "She got what was coming to her" argument)

I cant tell you How many times I hear the "Fag" or "Nigger" when playing on XBL, so behavior of that sort doesn’t surprise me at all, especially if the people who harrassed her all knew each other and decided as a group to pursue her.

The more you speak, regardless of your "My cousin is gay" defense, the more I see blatant biggotry. You know, Dick Cheney’s Daughter is a Lesbian, and he is just as homophobic as any other bigot, so why not just change your argument from "She got what was coming to her" to "She was a Lesbian, so she got what was coming to her," because thats pretty much what you are saying.

Elegant says:

Your cousin is a male.  If you are suggesting girls don’t get constantly harrassed on Xbox Live, you must only be playing with your friends, or are ignoring it when it happens. I coud easily see some guy hearing a female voice and then instantly checking out her profile for whatever reason, and if he was a jerk then the scene in my A) story happening.

I’ve ran across a couple bitches on Xbox Live, but they are rarer than even running across a female at all.  I’d chalk that up to the fact that if they speak up whatsoever they get verbally pummeled like this poor woman did. I’ve seen it happen MULTIPLE times.  All it would take would be a clan of like minded assholes to do this.  It’s not hard to imagine, even if your friends aren’t a hivemind.  I’m not an internet whiteknight, I just recognize reality.

Surely, you have to know what I’m talking about, Lewis.

— XboxLive Tag: JuiceLayerJihad

Geoff says:

Well here’s the official statement from Microsoft regarding the matter, taken from Joystiq.  I’ll place the important part in regards to the article in bold for all of ya.

As stated in the Xbox Live Terms of Use, a member may not create a gamertag or use text in other profile fields that include comments that look, sound like, stand for, hint at, abbreviate, or insinuate content of a potentially sexual nature. Profiles that do are asked to change the language and suspended until changes are made. In regards to sexual orientation, for gamertags or profiles we do not allow expression of any type of orientation, be that hetero or other. Players can, however, self identify in voice communication where context is more easily explained to all players involved.

"Harassment of any kind is not condoned and is taken very seriously; we strongly encourage Xbox Live members to immediately report inappropriate behavior through the compliant tools in the service so that it can be investigated and the appropriate action taken."

"The Xbox Live community grows daily, and we continue to explore methods and levels of enforcement to enhance the ways our members connect and have fun, while adhering to a code of conduct that encourages respect and keeps the service safe and fun for all our members.

So apparently it’s against the Terms of Use.  Not sure whether or not they provided a warning first.

However I still wonder if someone who put "I’m straight" in their profile would get the ban hammer.  MS says they would but for some reason I doubt people would so much as bat an eye at that as opposed to putting "I’m gay" in the profile.

Also brings up the interesting question of what if the sexual preference is implied but not stated out-right.  For example a guy puts in his profile something along the lines of "I live with my girlfriend…"  Now another guy puts in his profile "I live with my boyfriend…"  Both of these could be considered expressions of sexual orientation, the big difference being the former is socially accepted while the latter is far less so.  Since these aren’t as blatant expressions as saying "I’m a lesbian." would they still be considered violations of the Terms of Use?  If they were would both accounts be banned?  I’d put money that the gay one would but the straight one wouldn’t.  This could be taken even further.  One guy has in his profile "I have a wife and two kids…"  Second guy has "I have a life-partner and an adopted son…"  Again these could also be considered expressions of sexual preference and again I’d bet the former would get a pass while the latter would be banned.

These are all theoretical mind you but it does bring out the glaring flaws within the policy.  The other major flaw I find with it is that Microsoft depends on user complaints to track down accounts that violate the Terms of Use.  As a result the overall bigotry of the online community reigns supreme.  Since hetero relationships are much more socially acceptable the community isn’t going to bother reporting them.  However sine homo relationships aren’t they’ll get a disproportion amount of complaints and will be subject to more bans/suspensions and all because some community members don’t approve.

Really I find that part of the Terms of Use silly and think it should just be dropped.  The homosexual community could possibly fight back or bring attention to the flaws in the situation by finding profiles where the owner is obviously stating his heterosexuality in their profile and reporting it as offensive and see what MS does.

Austin_Lewis says:

A) This hinges on him being able to get 6 to 8 creepy friends to report her.  Hell, on any given night I have about 40 friends playing left 4 dead, and I can’t even make a party for Versus in less than an hour, so I somehow doubt this occurred.

B) This could well be, but if she was being an asshole or glitching than yes, she brought it on herself.  Sure, you can be a douche all you want, but you shouldn’t be surprised when you get called on it.  Just like that guy who decided he would keep knocking my beers over last weekend in the bar shouldn’t have been surprised when I pushed his drunk ass down and had him thrown out (moral of the story?  Never fuck with the regulars; if I spend 100 dollars a week at a bar and you’re new to it, you’re the one who’s goin out on your ass).

I haven’t already made up my mind, but I’m not quite willing to buy into this.  I’ll accept that she was suspended as a fact, otherwise this whole thing is a non-issue,  but what remains suspect is what occurred leading to this.  For some reason, my cousin (mentioned a post above you) has ‘gay and proud’ as his tagline, but never gets fucked with like this, so I’m loathe to simply believe that the story is 100% true.

Austin_Lewis says:

I suggested she provoked it, not necessarily by being a lesbian.  However, consider this; what drives someone to care enough to look into someone’s XBL profile mid-game?  As for you randomly reading people’s profiles, of all the people I know who play XBL, you’re the only one I’ve heard of who does that thus far.  Hell, I read two or four pages of a book in that 40 second wait between levels in COD, not people’s profiles.  I couldn’t care less what idiotic thing people put on their profiles.

My point here is that she is acting like she was just innocently playing a game, someone read her profile, singled her out as a lesbian, and then tormented her through various different servers while getting people to report her until her profile was suspended. Why, out of the MINIMUM of 4 people playing any online game at once (Left 4 Dead or COD Co-op) did someone single HER out.  I suspect that she did something to single herself out, and I doubt very much that ‘something’ was her profile.  I want to know what SHE did that started this whole thing.  I’ve played rounds with people I know to openly be homosexual; hell, I even had a discussion with my cousin about his boyfriend mid-game, and the only thing anyone said (and it sounded like a 10 year old) was ‘y’all niggas is gay’.  My problem here is that she may be simply trying to garner support by pretending that she was suspended due to her being a lesbian, not her being an asshole.

Now, best [worst?] case scenario, it takes 6 to 8 people to report you to get your profile suspended (and that assumes they’re reporting you for cheating of some sort).  Do you know how hard it is to get someone suspended even in a game of 20 people where EVERYONE can see them cheating?  Out of 20 people, we managed to get the player in question reported 4 times.  The guy who started the reporting was part of a clan of 7, and even they didn’t all report him.  So you’ll forgive me for being skeptical that 6 to 8 people cared enough that she was gay to A) read her profile and B) report her, and maybe even C) follow her around and harass her.  Now, they may have done ALL 3 because she was being a complete bitch, cheating, or just non-stop teamkilling, but I doubt that all 6 to 8 people did so simply because she was a lesbian.  Sure, XBL isn’t a haven of acceptance, but I highly doubt this story is 100% true.

So if she was, in fact, being an asshole, yes she should have been harassed and yes she should have been suspended. Do I think she should be suspended just because she’s a lesbian?  No, but I doubt that’s what this is about.

Elegant says:

I’m going to agree somewhat with

B)Some guy and his team of friends couldn’t handle getting their ass beat on Live by a girl who smack talks. They also happen to be homophobes.

Austin, you say we should find out the whole story before we make up our minds.  Why then, does it seems like you’ve already made up yours?  I don’t think it is entirely inappropriate to fault Microsoft with a miscarriage of banhammering. It would be easy to check up on to see if anyone besides the one guy and his friends were complaint-bombed her account, which I would doubt.

Then again, that is my assumption. I don’t know what really went down, but I’m loathe to blame the victim here.

— XboxLive Tag: JuiceLayerJihad

Valdearg says:

To answer your question: Honestly? You are the one who brought up the thought that the Lesbian was at fault for her own abuse. Your post was the first one I read that had undercurrents of biggotry. It was your posts, that when I first read and re-read them, I sensed a second meaning, between the lines.

I didn’t go after IceHawk because as much as I’d like to go through each post that I disagree with and respond with "Biggot", "Asshole", "Unintelligent", I’d imagine that would make my ability to post my opinion on this respectable site very, very short.

Also, to defuse your argument:

It doesn’t take ANYTHING to make anyone read your profile. Hell, when I am sitting in lobbies, waiting for a game to start, I sometimes just start opening random profiles and read what they have written. Sometimes, you find some interesting things. Who the hell knows why I do it, but I can’t be the only one who does.

That being said, if it wasn’t something random, maybe it was something in her name, maybe it was the fact that she may have said she was a lesbian in passing, maybe she really was being a bitch to someone. Does that make it right that A: She was harassed mercilessly by some punk-ass who decided that she was the scum of the earth for being attracted to women? and B: to get banned from Xbox Live because she said something completely non-offensive about herself in her profile?

Regardless of any argument you may come up with or whatever method you may try to turn her into the person at fault, she should never have been harassed or banned from XBL in the first place, and if you disagree with that, you are essentially saying it is ok to discriminate against and harass someone based on thier sexuality, especially if they did something to piss you off first.

Edited for clarity.

gamadaya says:

Yes, I too agree with Austin. *throws up in mouth*

God that was hard to do! But even if she did give some indication that she was gay other than her profile, I think that’s still OK. This situation reminds me how we handle gays in the military, not as bad though. I wish MS would handle it how Belgium handles gays in their military. They allow them to be openly gay, and then kick out any bigots that complain.

Edit: Also, I think they prefer the term "little people". Not "this female’s".

Internet troll > internet paladin

Austin_Lewis says:

My question is this; if it really is because she said she was a lesbian in her profile, what led people to care enough to read her profile?  I play with at least 120 people a day.  I don’t read their profiles.  I don’t give a fuck. No one gives a fuck.  Occasionally, I find someone on Left 4 Dead who was fun to play alongside, and send them a friend request.  Other than that?  NO one ever looks at peoples profiles without a reason.  So, if in fact they did harass her solely because she said she was a lesbian on her profile, what lead to that interest?  What did SHE do to single herself out before people even READ her profile?

So what did she do to garnish that interest?  What did she do that made people so angry that they followed her from room to room, and drove six to eight people MINIMUM to report her on XBL?  Did she act like an asshole on XBL?  Was she cheating, glitching, just being an overall douche?  What did SHE do first, that’s what I’d like to know.

Oh, by the way, I appreciate the whole ‘suppressed biggotry’ comment.  Of course, if someone is Republican and not politically correct, they must be a bigot.  Never mind the fact that, in this case, we really do have less than HALF the fucking story, and a very unconvincing half indeed. Nevermind that one of my friends had her marriage annulled by Prop 8.  Never mind that I’m actually pro gay marriage (at least legally, the government has no right to force a church to do a damn thing).  No, because I’m not willing to jump on the bandwagon of an unconvincing story, I’m obviously a bigot.

I suggest you learn to look for more evidence before you make a judgment.

Question: Why is it that when I suggest that we need more information and may have jumped the gun on this judgment I’m a bigot, but Icehawk doesn’t get insulted at all?

Valdearg says:

I have a feeling you are underestimating the hate displayed towards the gay community not only online, but everywhere. Not to mention, given what I know of you based on your posts on political issues and your attempt to turn a victim of outright biggotry into some shady, manipulative, liar, I would even go so far as to suggest that you may have some suppressed (Or not so much) biggotry, yourself.

Even if she was very forward, at some point during her gaming, and said "I’m a Lesbian!" doesn’t mean she did anything wrong at all.

Think of it this way: Some of the people online have indications that they are in the Military on thier account/biography. They are just providing information about themselves to the community. It is part of who they are. Should they be ridiculed and targeted because they gave that information? The answer is NO.

How is this any different than someone who is gay/bi saying on thier Bio that they are? It is just part of who they are, and they should not be subjected to any more abuse than anyone else in the world.

Austin_Lewis says:

Do you regularly act like a dick on XboxLive?  I’m almost certain that if she left the round, they wouldn’t follow her time and again for nothing.  Now, maybe some individual would, but not a group, and even then, that’s still rare.

Like I said, we’re only getting half a story.

Snipzor says:

Well I have, multiple times. I’ve gone through the exact same thing she has, and it was unprovoked. Except I reported them before they had the chance. Remember who we are dealing with, idiotic frat boys who lose their shit with anything. Provoked or unprovoked.

Icehawk says:

I agree with Austin, I just dont think the whole truth is known.  All we have heard has been this female’s side of things.  The "facts" lack consistancy and other "facts" are missing.  She of course is going to claim that she is blameless and the wronged party but one cannot help but wonder if there is not more that is yet unknown.

We (myself included) made this into a social, political, religious and sexual orientation issue when it is really about a handfull of people with their personal slant on the truth and what passes for customer service at XBL.

Austin_Lewis says:

I disagree.  In all my years of playing Xbox Live games, I’ve NEVER heard of something like this happening that was unprovoked.  NOW, I’m not saying that this response was reasonable, and I don’t think that Microsoft handled it too well, but I stand by my belief that we’re only getting one part of the story, and I’d like to get the rest before we take her side.

mdo7 says:

I had a similar occurence in Home.  Some dude was shooting off racist stereotype like black people are that and Asian people have that.  Geez, what happen to good sportmanship???  You’re playing game online to have fun and develop a social life, not insulting and bashing one another.  This is how not how a true gamer would do when you’re playing online.

Zen, I feel sorry that your kid have to see and hear those bad language.  This is something that is a issue to me, bad sportmanships on online gaming and services (Home, Xbox Live, PSN).  People would tell me just mute the headphone.  That’s not going to work, you need it on to like strategize and tell your teamate to do something like stack up at the door and breach and clear.

Moriarty70 says:

This is what makes games like Tiger Woods so surreal. People playing online aren’t just civil, they’re downright friendly. I’ve had conversations while playing a round.

Zen says:

You can see what a person is playing on the list or, once you have that persons name, can look it up online.  There is also an option for some games, as long as it’s a public match (sometimes ranked can as well), that you can select to join into a persons game.

Zen aka Jeremy Powers
    Panama City, Fl.

Vake Xeacons says:

I know how she feels. I’ve been harassed and banned from chat rooms for my stand on this issue, to the point I’m afraid to post. I may not be gay, but I do know what it’s like to be an outcast.

"Teresa," I feel your pain.

hellfire7885 says:

I’m going to venture a guess that the real intention of that list is in case you forgot to friend someone you liked playing with, not for assholes to be like "Hey, that guy beat me once, I’ll harass him until he stops playin"

Zen says:

Plus once you play with a person online, they are kept for awhile on a "recently played" list on the system.

But in regards to this issue, I think the way this is being handled by Microsoft is pretty sad.  They can’t stop the people that use "gay" as a way to offend or "down" other people, but they freely slap down people that have it as pat of their name or just as who they are.  Is it really fair that she, or others, be banned because they talk about themselves as they want on their profiles – where they tell you to talk about yourself – but if I put that I was a heterosexual or just "straight"…I’m sure it woul be just fine.  Bigots of any type be it for race, sex, or whatever else is just killing online gaming.  So while I love my 360 for it’s ability for me and my friends to play and interact easily, this is why I don’t play with random people if I can help it..and usually just turn chat off.

Zen a.k.a. Jeremy Powers
    Panama City, Fl.

thefremen says:

She most likely was hoping that having "totally not interested in guys" in the profile would stop at least a few of the stalkers all girl gamers pick up in games with vox chat.

Bill says:

Fear not, bigotry against religion is becoming more popular so…  bigotry against gays will soon have company.

"There’s only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people’s cultures….  and the Dutch. "

Snipzor says:

Though this sucks, there’s more going on. First, she didn’t need to put that information in her description. But banning her for that is still wrong. Second, the asshole users who stalked her and spread total bigotry. Third, the actual response by the representative of Microsoft. I don’t buy it.

"Yes ‘TheStraighterGamer’ or ‘TheHeterosexualgamer’ would have gotten the same treatment and would have been found to be in violation and forced to be changed,"

But it’s nice to know that bigotry against gays is the last acceptable form of bigotry in this country.

insanejedi says:

Being unable to reproduce is not a big problem anyways, because there are too many orphaned and untaken care of kids out there. I would rather have my country have a numerous quantity of well taken care of and well educated children, than a few quality children among many children with poor education and poor childcare.

Quantity vs Quality.

hellfire7885 says:

Being unable to reproduce is even false.

For both adoption is always an option.

For lesbian couples there are sperm donor programs.

For gay couples they can ask a willing person to act as a surrogate to carry their child.

Really, homophobes lose on all accounts.

Icehawk says:

Its social and religious.  It has been claimed (false) it is not "natural" and hense flies in the face of correct thinking.

Yet people throughout history like the ancient Greeks accepted and all but encouraged such (well you dont hear about lesbians in ancient greek society so am uncertain on that pont) and were a fierce and proud people, explorers, builders and warriors.   They had gays in Germany during WW2 those that would not be "cured" were driven into camps and often treated worse than the jews (who were treated horribly).  In our more modern "enlightened" society when a thing is considered wrong it is often refered to as being "gay".

The only "problem" far as I can tell not being gay/bi myself is that such cannot reproduce.  Personally I say ignore them.  Allow them to fade into the masses like the rest and not be treated differently in any way.

Snipzor says:

I smell someone who’s pushing an agenda, I doubt there’s anything more goingon. Perhaps you have something to say for yourself? Something along the lines of "Woops"?

Believe me when I say this, people are enough assholes to go through with this.

Austin_Lewis says:

I feel like we’re missing something in this story. This doesn’t seem like the normal level of hatred on an Xbox Live game.  And moreover, who has actually taken the time to look at someone’s profile in-game?  A lot of things here seem strange, and I think she may have provoked this in a way she’s not letting on.  Maybe she came on the server and started ranting or blaring annoying music.  Maybe she teamkilled repeatedly.  Maybe she decided to lecture on gay rights because someone called someone else a faggot, I’ve actually had someone do that in a game I was in before.  Whatever it is, people don’t just spend time following someone from server to server without a real reason, not just because she says she’s a lesbian on her profile.

I smell a half-truth here gentlemen.

Shadow D. Darkman says:

I still think this is bullshit. (Responded to this when Geoff mentioned it on ShoutBox)

If people are complaining b/c Sid either implied or directly stated that he was homosexual, the people complaining should be banned for bigotry.

Sorry, but that’s my view.

EDIT: Turns out there’s a member here known as Bill, so I changed the name.

Austin_Lewis says:

I’m going to have to disagree.

Techincally, adoption isn’t a form of reproduction; you’re picking up the child of some other (probably irresponsible) parents.  Also, there’s an astounding amount of crack babies in orphanages.  Go figure.

Once again, the Lesbian couple isn’t actually reproducing within the family; they’re taking sperm from an outside source.

As for the surrogate, that’s actually even mentioned in the Bible, when it was suggested that someone have a child with someone other than their wife because they couldn’t conceive.

Amosh says:

But that creates an even bigger problem, the ignoring of reports based solely upon, if I understand what you are suggesting, the interval of time between said game and report.

By simply refusing to investigate, then you are betraying the entire purpose by blocking legitimate complaints.

hellfire7885 says:

Well, one solution would be that certain complaints will be ignored.

FOr isntance if a perso nsubmits a reprot because someone beat them i na game or are a "fag" then it shouldn’t even be looked at.

Geoff says:

Replace "XBL" with "online".  This shit has been going on since the days of online deathmatches in Doom.  The shit I’ve read/heard playing practically anything over the internet makes me lose my faith in humanity.

Zen says:

It’s not just Xbox Live that has people like that.  I have to block all chat when playing Team Fortress 2 on Steam because of the stuff people scream at eachother on there.  Same went for Sony’s "Home" for the PS3.  I have to play that without the kids in the room because within the first 30 mins of trying it when the Beta opened and voice chat was still allowed, I had to spend the rest of the night explaining to my kids what a few choice words and phrases meant because I couldn’t change the audio settings while playing a game of pool and had to hear, outloud in my house, the jacka$$ screaming profanities and trying to make a fake representation of a woman do sexual favors. Even after they turned off chat I had to stop because my oldest is just now reading and was picking up the chat box in the corner the other night while I was playing an arcade game.  Same issue.  And yes….Xbox Live is no better…just no worse either for what people say.

Zen a.k.a. Jeremy Powers
    Panama City, Fl.

Zerodash says:

"I was harassed by several players, ‘chased’ to different maps/games to get away from their harassment. They followed me into the games and told all the other players to turn me in because they didn’t want to see that crap or their kids to see that crap."

That’s because XBL = the most vile collection of adolescent rednecks ever. It’s unbelievable how shitty the "people" who play XBL are- racist, homophobic, crybabies (stop dropping SF matches).

LaxGamer34 says:

I know, that why I think someone or a group of people from MS should interview the person who was reported to atleast give their side of the story. It may not be 100% effective, but it would atleast be a start.

The only times I submit complaints are when I get constantly team-killed, or I hear a person/multiple people shout racist/sexist things to others…so almost after everygame or two

Geoff says:

That’s the problem with the complaints system.  You get complaints about a user but there’s no way to counter said complaints.

LaxGamer34 says:

I agree with both of your statements. Its not like she was forcing people to become gay/lesbians by putting that in her profile. Thats why I rarely say anything on in an online game with strangers: not that I’m a homosexual, but because the majority (IMO) of people on XBL are ignorant assholes who love nothing more than finding the even slightest flaw/difference in my voice/profile/whatever and absolutely destroying you because of it, while gaining supporters for them in the process.

For example, the other day I was playing Big Team Slayer on Halo 3, and when I answered someones question (where do the rockets spawn?), some jerkwad on the other team noticed I have a somewhat noticable Long Island accent and made it his mission to find and kill me the entire game, while throwing horrible insults at me in the process (ex. "Hey why arent you on your f**king yaht, or in your boathouse jacuzi, you goddamn rich f**kface?!"), because apparently everyone from Long Island is automatically rich.

But where were the people who didnt agree with the harassers? Why didnt they say anything to at least try to stop them?

Zen says:

Here’s a funny thought.  I’ve heard the phrase "X-Box" used as both the description for a system as well as a horrible reference to a woman’s lower regions. (I don’t use this term myself..but I’m trying to make a point here.) Since they can ban the word "gay" because of it’s reference to homosexual people, regardless of it’s original meaning of being "happy"…shouldn’t they also air on the side of over-reacting caution and ban any reference to THEMSELVES?  Just curious.

Zen a.k.a. Jeremy Powers
    Panama City, Fl.

Geoff says:

So many problems with this.

Sure she didn’t have to put that information in, but that is in no way a valid excuse to ban her.  Likewise I have a major issue with this sort of "tyranny of the majority" aspect that plays in.  So what if a lot of people found it offensive?  Should a Christian be banned if a bunch of atheists "dont want their children seeing that crap" or vice versa?  What about a Muslim gamer?

It’s such a blatant double-standard.  If I put on my profile "I’m straight" do you think I’d get banned as a result?  I highly doubt it.

Apparently when MS was pushing the social networking aspect of the profiles in Xbox LIVE, it didn’t include lifestyles that aren’t socially popular.

Amosh says:

This really has nothing to do with her being homosexual/lesbian, it is more of her having a trigger happy customer service rep scan over her account.

What probaly happened was the bot/person reviewing her account searched for certain "hot" words (such as racial slurs, or ironically in this case, anti gay/lesbian speech) and took action not for the context of the words, but simply for their inclusion.

Should she be pissed? Yeah, but not at Microsoft, but the kids who followed her around.

Should Microsoft develope a better account investigation method? Yes, but I don’t see how viable a "personal" review would be considering people abuse the report feature and that any linear approach would get overwhelmed.

Summation, I don’t see this as Microsoft siding with anyone, their automated system for enforcing rules just isn’t perfect, and sometimes this happens.

Disclaimer: This is pure conjecture, I have no real evidence that suggests this is how Microsoft polices accounts, I don’t play on my xboxlive account that much anymore.

tacc says:

So there are people that don’t have anything better to do than chasing other people? I’m surprised that they are intelligent enough to use a console.

And Microsoft supports them where they can…

hellfire7885 says:

Some people are vindictive enough to memorize or write down usernames of peopel they don’t like and tend to harass them to the breaking point.

It’s happened to me.