The battle for control over U.K. game ratings rages on…
The quasi-governmental British Board of Film Classification has released survey results which indicate that 74% of UK parents want video games to be rated by an independent (i.e., non-industry) body.
Like, say, the BBFC…
The content rating body, which has been locked in a bitter struggle for control of UK game ratings dominance with the PEGI system favored by the industry, reports that its figures come from a poll conducted on the British YouGov portal. Among its other conclusions:
- 74% of parents are concerned about the content of some video games.
- 79% of parents think video games may affect the behaviour of some children.
- 74% of parents believe video games should be regulated by an independent regulator.
- 77% of parents believe video game ratings should reflect the concerns of UK parents.
- 82% of parents believe it would help them if video games used the same ratings as films and DVDs.
BBFC head David Cooke (left) commented on the survey data:
This poll clearly shows parents support a regulatory system for games that is independent of the industry and UK based, reflecting UK sensibilities and sensitivities… The BBFC has been classifying games for over 20 years and our decisions reflect the views of the public. Our classification systems and symbols are known and trusted by the public and in a converging media world they want to know what their children are playing as well as watching.
Meanwhile, website techradar takes the BBFC to task, dismissing its survey as "hokum," The site criticizes the sample size (1329 parents) and suggests that leading questions were employed.
For its part, UK game publishers’ trade group ELSPA promised to throw money at the problem:
Our first concern is to protect British children… The independently administered PEGI system is the right solution for child safety.
Naturally we will support the PEGI system with a multi million pound campaign that helps parents understand that the right system for real protection of their children is PEGI.