Japan Bans R4

February 27, 2009 -

Bowing to a request from Nintendo, the government of Japan has outlawed sales of the R4 flash cart, reports PocketGamer:

Among other uses - some of which are legitimate - the R4 allows the playing of pirated games on the Nintendo DS handheld:

To be fair to Nintendo, one of the most prominent uses of DS flash carts is indeed piracy, though such a ham-fisted pursuit of a device that's also used to unlock the console's potential won't do it any favours in the technophile arena.

And right now, cutting off a passionate hardware customer base (on the dawn of a new system release) isn't a particularly wise move for a games system that, it has to be said, is wilting in the sun of a changing industry.

We'll have to wait and see how this Japanese ruling affects the rest of the world, but for the time being Japanese DS gamers are going to have to look elsewhere for their homebrew DS apps.

Comments

Re: Japan Bans R4

I've gotta say... It's kind of hard to picture Nintendo as a victem, when they're sitting on a mt fuji sized pile of MONIES!!!

Re: Japan Bans R4

*sarchasm*

Yes, because by having money, Nintendo DESERVES to have their software pirated.

Re: Japan Bans R4

well, they are suffering. Instead of being able to buy all the execs a Gold plated Ferrari, they can only get them gold plated Corvettes.

But I agree. Just because they are not suffering financially, that does not mean they should not be able to stop piracy of their products.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

Re: Japan Bans R4

I'm not condoning pirating...

But still... when you're that successful, trying to crack down on those who are slipping through the cracks just seems needlessly greedy.

Also, thanks for labeling your post as "sarcasm." I totally never would have figured that out had you left it blank...

/sarcasm... or was it!?!? :D

Re: Japan Bans R4

That is the hilarious part.  The consumer base for Nintendo Consoles barely know they can hook up to the internet, let alone functions like a R4.  This has to be hitting a very small percentage of their base and yet they are the most actively vocal about it.  Then again they've been fighting importing games for as long as I can remember.

Wall of Text Simulation- Insert coin to continue.

Wall of Text Simulation- Insert coin to continue.

Re: Japan Bans R4

Not for Wii's. But I have seen PLENTY and I mean PLENTY of people with R4's and bootlegged games. Remember that British Woman who called the DS the "nintendo"? She got the DS with 150 something games, there was no conformation on whether she did have an R4 or not, but I can gaurentee you they were not 150 regular cartrage games.

james_fudgeFYI: someone at TR knows who this person is.07/28/2015 - 3:44pm
james_fudgeI'm all over the map today. Sorry07/28/2015 - 3:26pm
james_fudgeNM I'll just ask them directly :)07/28/2015 - 3:19pm
james_fudgeWhen i did that interview with that former GG person, I knew their identity.I am just curious if TR does or if this is an "on faith" (from other people) interview.07/28/2015 - 3:18pm
Andrew EisenDaugette said on Twitter he did and the article itself says TR editors did. That's all I know. Not familiar with any of these people. My familiarity with TR is only what Goth and other readers have linked.07/28/2015 - 3:16pm
james_fudgeOr did they take the word of GG's most vocal supporters?07/28/2015 - 3:14pm
james_fudgeDid TechRaptor verify it?07/28/2015 - 3:12pm
james_fudgeThat's not good enough for me. Look who verified it.07/28/2015 - 3:12pm
james_fudgeHold on a second.07/28/2015 - 3:12pm
james_fudgeThank you Andrew07/28/2015 - 3:11pm
james_fudgemy bad!07/28/2015 - 3:11pm
Andrew EisenHere's the aforementioned tweet: https://twitter.com/TheRealRutledge/status/62583949852243558507/28/2015 - 3:06pm
Andrew EisenThird paragraph: "...TechRaptor editors have confirmed he is a AAA developer." Also, Rutledge Daugette, TR's founder, said the same on Twitter (in a conversation I was tagged into for some reason).07/28/2015 - 3:04pm
james_fudgehas anyone verified that this is an actual game developer? TR doesn't say they did.07/28/2015 - 2:55pm
Goth_SkunkThe Interview with TechRaptor comes as a result of a wordpress blogpost titled "The Oppressed Rulers of the Games Industry": http://ow.ly/QchfG07/28/2015 - 2:26pm
Goth_SkunkNext, by TechRaptor: Culture of Fear: Interview With a AAA dev: http://ow.ly/Qch8I07/28/2015 - 2:25pm
Goth_SkunkFirst: Gender prevalence in video games. An infographic. https://imgur.com/QwjTwT207/28/2015 - 2:23pm
Goth_SkunkGot a couple links coming up.07/28/2015 - 2:22pm
Andrew EisenAdditionally, better-than-Twitch quality videos will be available after the event.07/28/2015 - 1:10pm
Andrew EisenFor anyone frustrated by the crappy sound of the SGDQ YouTube videos, I spoke to GDQ Director of Ops Matt Merkle and he told me that the sound issues that plagued earlier videos have been resolved.07/28/2015 - 1:10pm