Report: 5-Year-Old Stabs Sister Over Nintendo DS

We haven’t seen any English language coverage of this yet, but always-reliable European reader Soldat Louis has forwarded us this report of an incident which apparently occurred yesterday in the small French village of Uckange:

A 5-year-old boy stabbed his 10-year-old sister because she didn’t want to give him her Nintendo DS. Her mother, who has sole custody of the children, was sleeping at the time and was alerted by her daughter’s screams.

The girl is still at the hospital, but she’s not in mortal danger. The boy is aware of what he’s done. He said to the police that his sister didn’t want to give hime her Nintendo DS, and that he thought the knife was a toy. I’ve also read that he apparently likes the game "Power Rangers", in which the characters (alledgely) throw knives.

Soldat_Louis says:

Usually, I’m proud to be credited, but right now, I’m a bit ashamed, because I jumped the same bandwagon as French mainstream media : the 10-yars-old girl was not stabbed by her brother but by her MOTHER !!

Apparently, according to the latest reports I’ve heard, she was upset that her children made so much noise, so she stabbed her daughter. When the investigators talked to the girl, she said that her brother did it because of the Nintendo DS, and thinking that the knife was a toy. Problem : the surgeon who examined the girl declared that it was impossible that such a young boy could stab someone so deeply. The investigators talked to the girl a second time, and then she told them that she was stabbed by her mother stabbed her… who finally confessed.

I feel a bit ridiculous on that one

Michael Chandra says:

Because there were no problems with the children before and she as single parent is uncapable of matching the awake-times of her children around the clock?

metroidprimegmr says:

And the mother, the ONLY parent in the house, was sleeping instead of watching the kids BECAUUUUUUSE????

Jack Thompson: future Good Burger employee of the month

TBoneTony says:

It is most likely that the son got pissed off and threw a tantrum by trying to stab his sister.

also brining in the Power Rangers game to blame it on the kids behaviour is like blaming the dog for paint on the wall.

This is a natural psyche of a kid, they try to blame something for their actions without really blaming themselves.

Also it is a really sad thing when the parent is trying to work at night to raise her two kids who’s father has left them.

I don’t know what else I need to say, but blaming a videogame is kinda low since that the game is a E 10+ rating.

Velkrin says:

Now this is a fine example of videogames NOT teaching people.  If they did the boy would have first started to beat up his sister until she applied something she learned earlier that day to the fight and beat him.  He would then grow to giant size and she’d need to fight him inside a giant robot until she used the weapon which wins the battle and causes him to explode.  She would then learn the lession she learned in the fight to an earlier problem, probably something about friendship or not taking the toaster into the bathtub.

PushDustIn says:

While the kid is five; I can’t imagine the kid going to the kitchen, picking out a knife and than stabbing his sister with it without realizing its not a toy. (Unless of course, the knife was actually left out…) It really depends on how he stabbed her I guess; was it really forceful? (How forceful can a little boy be?) It seemed that the girl was only stabbed once…

Anyway, the actual fight doesn’t surprise me; my sister once threw me into a wall over a fight about using the computer (And one time I threw a rock at her…). I’m just surprised that the kid stabbed his sister. I hope they can get the kids straightened out though.

catboy_j says:

With the ammount of times me and my brother had outright violent fights over the computer, the video games, him not wanting to leave my room, him breaking my stuff, it’s a wonder either of us are alive.

Cracked heads, almost severed toes (We weren’t fighting that time)

But this still seems questionable. And probly better for the police and child services to sort out.

Yes, I used the wrong word (sorry). What I should have said was ‘how did he get the knife’? Most parents usually keep the sharp objects in locked cabinets or up high where little children can’t get to them.

Hitodama says:

I once kicked my three-years-younger brother in the face and busted his nose. It bled all over the place…. Was an accident though. We were play fighting, he was chasing me and I kicked backwards aiming at his stomach area. His face was there instead. Wasn’t meant to hurt him. =s

Wolfemann says:

Well, at least we now have the answer to just what was going through Mike Myers’ head at the beginning of Carpenter’s Halloween….

Seriously though, he probably got the knife from the kitchen.  Anybody want to place odds on how long it’ll take Kaz and Thompson to make this their new gold standard "proof," despite the obvious mental issues?

I’d like to know if it’s the father, or the son, who was so violent he was hitting the mother… the way it’s written, I could see it either way.

Politics, Religion, and Particle Physics

What the hell kind of five year old is that? ‘Thought it was a toy’? BAH! We all know five year olds have toy sensing organs that allow them to tell if something is a real toy…

But seriously, where did he get a knife? That’s a legitimate concern…

Inimical says:

"The mother of the 2 children has been raising them since the father abandoned them and fled to Albania. According to her, he was violent to the point of hitting her. She works at night to raise her children, and while she’s at work, her brother and her niece babysit them."

Study, after study, after study, has shown quite conclusively that a young child witnessing violence to their mother is going to be far more likely to be violent, and clearly this kid has developed some serious problems. Kids have been doing this kind of thing for centuries even before video games.

urutapu says:

In the original series, the yellow ranger was Asian and the black ranger was black. And well, the white ranger was white, but I don’t think that has as strong of an impact (maybe if he were Aryan, but he had long brown hair as I recall).

BrandonL337 says:

It is? could you give some examples plz?

There have always been motherf*ckers, there will always be motherf*ckers, but what we can’t do is let them control our motherf*cking lives. -John Oliver, December 1st, 2008

BrandonL337 says:

shady8x says:

yea, those damn evil Albanians!!!

and those Power Rangers which promote knife stabbings and gang violence!!!

I hope some fine upstanding politicians will fight a campaign to keep those evil power rangers and albanians away from our shores!!!

/joking obviously

hellfire7885 says:

I’m really not sure what to say about this.

The mother is obviously trying even after the jackass father abandoned them. The son simply needs to know far better, and with only one DS ,the kids are gonna fight over it.

Atleast the blame is being placed where it should be ,

JustChris says:

I remember seeing a poll on a very old TV Guide asking parents "What show that kids watch annoy you the most? A. Barney the Dinosaur, B. Power Rangers, C. Beavis & Butthead." Someone replied with an angry letter basically saying "What’s wrong with you? Beavis & Butthead isn’t a kid’s show!"

Chaplain99 says:

Okay, this is too extreme.  The child is FIVE, and thinking a knife is a toy is tantamount to idiocy, even for a youth.  Blaming videogames for this is pointless, as I’m sure (through my powers of pure speculation) that the boy would have stabbed his sister regardless of what the disputed item was.

"HEY! LISTEN!"

DarkSaber says:

I once hit my little bro (2 years younger than me) across the back of the head with a 2 litre bottle of Pepsi. Can’t remember why though.

I LIKE the fence. I get 2 groups to laugh at then.

Geoff says:

I’m just amazed you know this much about PR games.

Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cook-book! Little Red Cook-book!

Arrow says:

For the record, the only Power Rangers game available for DS (naturally the one who’s boxart appears in the article) does not at any time involve throwing knives.  There’s a shortsword subweapon for enemies with stronger armor, but only the laser blasters have a range attribute to them.  I suppose the kid could be talking about one of the GBA PR games, but of the ones I’ve played (four out of five), none of them have throwing knives either.

Michael Chandra says:

Damn sure he knew he’d hurt her with it. You wouldn’t use a ‘toy’ to beat up your sister, then he’d have used the nearest real toy at hand. Clearly meant to do it.

chadachada321 says:

That sucks, that’s pretty much all there is to say about this.

"He thought the knife was a toy"     Wtf..?

Even a 5-year-old should know what a real toy looks like…

Cerabret100 says:

Sounds pretty familiar.

My brother never tried to stab me. but situation sounds the same. My mom works nights/days while i babysit, no father around (his was abusive, mine was fine but mom counldn’t stand him, and he had a drinking problem).

He was always having a violent streak, biting me and stuff.  not so bad now though.

Pretty much just the result of no parent around because she’s trying to support the family.