ESA Lobbies for Broadband Deployment

March 3, 2009 -

The Entertainment Consumers Association (ECA) has been lobbying for Universal Broadband for some time. Now, game publishers' trade group the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) appears to be moving in that direction as well.

Congress Daily reports that ESA CEO Michael Gallagher sees affordable high-speed Internet access as "connective tissue" that member companies need to weather the widening recession.

It's not hard to see why. Modern gaming staples such as DLC and online multiplayer require fat pipes. Gallagher elaborated on the issue:

We're the only form of entertainment online that's interactive -- movies and music are linear. We're very pleased with the president's strong embracing of broadband deployment as a high value goal for our country.

The administration and Congress have a huge amount to contribute to make sure that resources are available and make sure that rules of the road encourage investment and give companies and customers access to it at reasonable prices and terms.

Gallagher also dished on piracy and legislative issues.

FULL DISCLOSURE DEPT: The Entertainment Consumers Association is the parent company of GamePolitics.

Comments

Re: ESA Lobbies for Broadband Deployment

Wasn't there something in Obama's stimulus package designed to get broadband put in place in rural areas?  So...isn't it already moving in that direction on a federal level?

Re: ESA Lobbies for Broadband Deployment

Correct me If I'm wrong but I do believe it was cut from the stimulis package.

Re: ESA Lobbies for Broadband Deployment

I'm all for this, especially if it allows competition.

Back i nthe trailer park I lived in, Comcast had a stranglehold on service. IT was them or dialup and basic cable, meaning they could get away with charging way too much.

Re: ESA Lobbies for Broadband Deployment

Why do we need the government to do it? Sprint is already set to become a competitor in the high speed internet market (with that new technology they are coming out with soon), and a competing free market will do it FAR better then some shoddy government internet.

The Government can't even run a school right, it's a sure thing that they will do PERFECT with internet...

Re: ESA Lobbies for Broadband Deployment

I could be wrong but I believe what the Gov't will do is give money to the independant companies to spread to remote areas as oppsed to attempting to do it themselves.

Re: ESA Lobbies for Broadband Deployment

Bingo. The Government will be setting up incentive programs to get ISPs to spread to areas with no service.

AS for Sprint's Wimax servie, I don't think it will be the savior of broadband that deus wants it to be.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

Re: ESA Lobbies for Broadband Deployment

Will the incentives include it not being complete shit?

Re: ESA Lobbies for Broadband Deployment

How many people have such dififculty with the number 2...

And I am not saying it will be, but for the most part, a 3rd competer in the market is when the consumer wins.

Re: ESA Lobbies for Broadband Deployment

What number 2 are you talking about?

AS for competetors, I am all for increased competition in the broadband area. I have only one ISP servicing my local area, but nothing I have read about Wimax will change what I am currently getting from my current ISP. Plus Wimax is liable to be more expensive than what  I am getting now.

E. Zachary Knight
Oklahoma City Chapter of the ECA

ZippyDSMleehttp://www.wired.com/2015/04/dmca-ownership-john-deere/04/21/2015 - 1:58pm
ZippyDSMleeMatthew Wilson: Classic shell ^_~04/21/2015 - 1:56pm
Matthew Wilson@zipp I dont like the star menu taking up the whole dam screen, so just getting the start menu back will be worth it.04/21/2015 - 11:19am
ZippyDSMleeI got a extra HDD I will take win 10 for a spin. see if tis worthwhile heck if I do not have to move colums over in Skyrims creation kit its a keeper!04/21/2015 - 10:53am
ZippyDSMleeMatthew Wilson: Been on win 8.1 a few months the only thing I do not like is compatibility issues with older programs. 10 won't fix that sadly...04/21/2015 - 10:51am
E. Zachary KnightThe US Supreme Court has ruled that the 4th Amendment does offer US citizens some protections. This is a change of pace from other 4th Amendment rulings. http://reason.com/blog/2015/04/21/supreme-court-says-police-violated-4th-a04/21/2015 - 10:35am
E. Zachary KnightNot sure on that specific. But It is slightly annoying, but it can help to clairfy on occasion.04/21/2015 - 10:13am
IvresseCan I just ask out of curiousity why people repeat the title in their shout when it clearly states it in the URL?04/21/2015 - 9:07am
E. Zachary KnightI would say that is true. It drives me nuts when games are patched. The closer the patch is to launch, the worse it is.04/21/2015 - 9:06am
PHX Corphttp://www.npr.org/2015/04/19/400829880/when-video-games-are-patched-gamers-lose-trust-in-reviews When Video Games Are 'Patched,' Gamers Lose Trust In Reviews04/21/2015 - 9:03am
IvresseWell Totalbiscuit's port report video was positively glowing about it...04/21/2015 - 4:05am
MattsworknameHey, slightly off topic, but, anyone got a good sugestion for a flight stick for elite dangerous?04/21/2015 - 12:38am
Matthew Wilson@pm intreasting the gta5 port was already good from what I have read.04/20/2015 - 9:32pm
Papa Midnighthttp://www.pcgamer.com/gta-5-pc-patch-reduces-cpu-usage/04/20/2015 - 9:00pm
PHX Corp@zippy I'm Probaly going to Warn my uncle who is a techie that it may come out at the end of july04/20/2015 - 8:45pm
Matthew Wilson@zippy I want windows 10 badly, but that is because I am stuck on 8.1 yuk. that being said the new dx12 looks very good, and the reported performance gain from it.04/20/2015 - 8:00pm
ZippyDSMleeMy body is readY! http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2015/04/20/amd-microsoft-to-launch-windows-10-at-the-end-of-july04/20/2015 - 7:54pm
PHX CorpI may have posted this before but a leaked email from Sony pictures has the MPAA written all over it http://www.extremetech.com/computing/203654-leaked-sony-emails-show-mpaas-opposition-to-fair-use-confirms-users-are-viewed-as-thieves04/20/2015 - 4:53pm
Mattsworknameyet another reason the DMCA should be dismantled and rewritten04/20/2015 - 4:41pm
Matthew Wilson@zippy that is worse than the ESA thing.04/20/2015 - 4:26pm